Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bohica

RE: LGA And JFK Runways Underwater?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 44):
Quoting 71Zulu (Reply 39):
Since when is Amtrak electric?

The high-speed northeast corridor service has always been electric.

Actually since 1935 when the first electric trains began operation between Washington and New York. Quoting Wikipedia:

Quote:
Early in the 20th century the PRR tried electric power for its trains. First was the New York terminal area, where tunnels precluded steam locomotives; a direct current (DC) 650-volt third rail powered PRR locomotives (and LIRR passenger cars). The system was put into service in 1910.

The next area to be electrified was the Philadelphia terminal area, where PRR officials decided to use overhead lines to supply power to the suburban trains running out of Broad Street Station. Unlike the New York terminal system, overhead wires would carry 11,000-volt 25-Hertz alternating current (AC) power: the system used for all future installations. In 1915, electrification of the line from Philadelphia to Paoli, Pennsylvania was completed. Other Philadelphia lines electrified were the Chestnut Hill Branch (1918), White Marsh (1924), West Chester (1928), the main line to Wilmington, Delaware, and in 1930 the Schuylkill Branch to Norristown, along with the rest of the main line to Trenton.

PRR's president William Wallace Atterbury announced in 1928 plans to electrify the lines between New York, Philadelphia, Washington and Harrisburg. In January 1933, through main-line service between New York and Philadelphia/Wilmington/Paoli was placed in operation. The first test run of an electric train between Philadelphia and Washington occurred on January 28, 1935. On February 1 the Congressional Limiteds in both directions were the first trains in regular electric operation between New York and Washington, drawn by the first of the GG1-type locomotives. All regular passenger trains between these cities were electrified by March 15.

In 1934 the PRR received a $77 million loan from the New Deal's Public Works Administration To complete the electrification project initiated in 1928, work was started January 27, 1937, on the main line from Paoli to Harrisburg; the low-grade freight line from Morrisville through Columbia to Enola Yard in Pennsylvania; the Port Road Branch from Perryville, Maryland to Columbia; the Jamesburg Branch and Amboy Secondary freight line from Monmouth Junction to South Amboy; and the Landover-South End freight line from Landover, Maryland through Washington to Potomac Yard in Alexandria, Virginia (now called the Landover Subdivision and RF&P Subdivision of CSX). In less than a year, on the following January 15, the first passenger train, the Metropolitan, went into operation over the newly electrified line from Philadelphia to Harrisburg. On April 15 the electrified freight service from Harrisburg and Enola Yard east was inaugurated, thus completing the Pennsy's eastern seaboard electrification program with a total of 2,677 miles (4,308 km) of track electrified—41 percent of the total electrically operated standard railroad trackage of the United States. Portions of the electrified trackage are still in use, owned and operated by Amtrak as the Northeast Corridor and Keystone Corridor high-speed rail routes.

(I edited out the footnote numbers for housekeeping purposes.)

rwy04lga

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 50):
1935. On February 1 the Congressional Limiteds in both directions were the first trains in regular electric operation between New York and Washington, drawn by the first of the GG1-type locomotives. All regular passenger trains between these cities were electrified by March 15.

The GG-1 was IT back in the 30's!! Beautiful machine.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

INFINITI329

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:23 pm

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 49):
Negative, the LIRR as well as Amtrak run diesel into Penn Station.

Both LIRR and Amtrak run locomotives into Penn station that are dual-mode meaning electric and diesel. As stated before diesel operations into penn station and its associated tunnels are banned. The use electricity gathered from a third rail through a retractable third rail shoe

LONGisland89

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 52):

Thanks! I never realized they were dual mode.

Mcoov

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 49):

Quoting dvincent (Reply 43):
diesel trains are banned in Penn Station

Negative, the LIRR as well as Amtrak run diesel into Penn Station.

They are dual-mode. Emitting locomotives (steam, diesel, etc.) have been illegal beneath NYC since 1902.

ck8msp

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 27):

The majority of the country is still moving. New York is not the center of the universe.

mayor

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 am

NY employees cannt get to work with all subway and bus transportation halted.

DL put up 50 employees at nearby hotels (I think for JFK) and kept 30 employees on hand at the airport to help with the shutdown and restart.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

peteg913

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 am

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 40):
Water on the runways and near the gates... what is the likelihood of damage to lights, electrical systems, underground communications and electricity tunnels, and the like? And if there is damage, how to long would it take to repair all this?

As far as airfield lighting and signage, as long as the electricity is kept on to them, a watertight seal is formed. Obviously if there is no electricity this is not possible.

KELPkid

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:27 am

Quoting us330 (Reply 38):
Amtrak shut down. It doesn't help when their power sources are overhead electric wires.

They can always use diesel-electric locomotives on electrified trackage, but that still doesn't help when tunnels are flooded   I'm sure that NYC can lift some of the bans on combustion locomotives operating in tunnels and stations until the electric infrasturcture is repaired, though...modern diesels are much cleaner than most locomotives were in 1902 when the ban was placed into effect.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

solarflyer22

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 am

Will this cause any permanent damage to the asphalt and concerte runways/taxiways? I don't think those surfaces are designed to be fully submergect and there has to be soil erosion underneath due to the current. I don't think its simply a matter of drying out then letting the planes back in to land. I really don't see how they can resume full service for at least 10 days. You need to dry it out, inspect, replace and patch spots and then let it cure in the cold weather. Hopefully the new runway they poured at JFK will hold out better since its all concrete. If all three airports are down for 5-10 days it will have major impacts. What a pain.

Mir

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:42 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 58):
I'm sure that NYC can lift some of the bans on combustion locomotives operating in tunnels and stations until the electric infrasturcture is repaired, though...

Not if the ventilation systems aren't up to the task of removing the fumes. You can run a couple of trains, perhaps, but you can't hope to run a full schedule with diesel locomotives on the existing infrastructure.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Aesma

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 am

Quoting peteg913 (Reply 57):
As far as airfield lighting and signage, as long as the electricity is kept on to them, a watertight seal is formed. Obviously if there is no electricity this is not possible.

How does electricity form a seal ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:52 am

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 59):
Will this cause any permanent damage to the asphalt and concerte runways/taxiways? I don't think those surfaces are designed to be fully submergect and there has to be soil erosion underneath due to the current. I don't think its simply a matter of drying out then letting the planes back in to land.

Let's not get overly dramatic here.....

DL is making plans, under the guidance from the port authority to restart service on Wednesday to JFK and EWR.
DL is planning to position aircraft into LGA Wednesday night with the goal of restarting the operation on Thursday.

Doomsday scenarios aside, DL would not putting this out in a press release, unless they had some assurance from the port authority that this is a reasonable timeline to restart operations.

planeguy727

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:19 am

US has cxl just about all NYC operations until Friday.

I was rebooked eight, yes eight, times today. Each time they rebooked me about 15 minutes later the rebooked LGA flight was cxl. The do have a Thursday evening JFK-CLT flight that is still scheduled.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

71Zulu

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:20 am

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 59):
Will this cause any permanent damage to the asphalt and concerte runways/taxiways? I don't think those surfaces are designed to be fully submergect and there has to be soil erosion underneath due to the current....

NEW was submerged under 12 feet of water during Katrina and 4-6 feet of water during Isaac a couple months back, and there were no issues with that, and that airport sits out in Lake Pontchartrain where there would be much more of a severe current and surge effect. Runways and their foundations are plenty tough.

reality

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 62):
Doomsday scenarios aside, DL would not putting this out in a press release, unless they had some assurance from the port authority that this is a reasonable timeline to restart operations.

I hope your faith in Delta is justified. I'm not sure if they, or anyone, really knows when these airports will be operational. I give them credit for trying. But sometimes being realistic is better.

planeguy727

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:37 am

There is a report that a barge may have drifted into the east end of LGA (unconfirmed).

If it were the other end I would be more concerned based on the end of 22 and 13. Would this impact 31?
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:40 am

Quoting reality (Reply 65):
I hope your faith in Delta is justified. I'm not sure if they, or anyone, really knows when these airports will be operational. I give them credit for trying. But sometimes being realistic is better.

The Port Authority has said JFK and EWR will be open Wednesday morning.
http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/inclement-weather.html

DL has flights scheduled and is adding additional segments in from ATL and is actively scheduling repositions into JFK tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

I prefer to go off of the what the officials are saying versus doomsday, arm-chair engineering guesses on a.net.

71Zulu

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:04 am

JFK now open for arrivals, just announced on CNN.

ltbewr

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:29 am

I suspect that there will be limited services in/out of JFK and EWR for the next few days. Both airports may have some significant problems, but enough repairs and restoration of electrical power done to allow them to open.

LGA is another issue. The location of LGA, at the western end of the Long Island Sound, meant a much greater high storm surge and tides above the normal highs in vs on the ocean itself. Then there was the intentional designs of LGA to allow operations of the 'flying boats' of PanAm when built in the late 1930's so it was pretty low lying to allow for that. I suspect it may take a number of days for inspections and evaluations to consider when it can be opened for some ops, perhaps months for full ops.

mayor

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 69):

I think DL said they are looking at limited ops at LGA on Thursday PM.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

PDX88

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:41 am

This is the best reason why Congress should continue to subsidize AMTRAK.

I didn't realize trains could run under water...

PHX787

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 62):
DL is making plans, under the guidance from the port authority to restart service on Wednesday to JFK and EWR.

How? The FAA still shows an unknown reopening day for the airports. I don't think at this point it's the port authority's call. JFK is showing a tentative opening time of 12:30 edt, and LGA is still listed as unknown. EWR should open at 7AM tomorrow.

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 63):
US has cxl just about all NYC operations until Friday.

Oh dear god....this is possibly because of LGA. My dad's flight this week was cancelled and he was rebooked to Thursday on DL but that may be gone too.

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 66):
There is a report that a barge may have drifted into the east end of LGA (unconfirmed).

Just what LGA needed  
Quoting ltbewr (Reply 69):
I suspect that there will be limited services in/out of JFK and EWR for the next few days. Both airports may have some significant problems, but enough repairs and restoration of electrical power done to allow them to open.

As I stated above, EWR should be fine for tomorrow. JFK I am not sure.

I checked the flightaware for JFK and it showed a number of aircraft scheduled for late-night or early morning arrivals:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE378
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SLQ9742
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAR298
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AVA20
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CPA888
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU216

Of course all of this could be cancelled at the last minute.

[Edited 2012-10-30 20:01:51]
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

United1

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:00 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 72):
As I stated above, EWR should be fine for tomorrow.

Looking at flightaware and UAL.com it looks like the vast majority of UA flights from EWR to ORD/IAH have been canceled tomorrow. Not conclusive as to the operation as a while but doesn't look promising.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

steex

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 45):
No it hasn't.. I grew up on the mid coast of Connecticut and they didn't add the electric service until sometime after we moved away in 1983.

To be fair, the section between New York and Boston wasn't considered "high speed" until it was electrified. I chose that term carefully.

aussie747

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:08 am

I have a friend who was scheduled to be on an an AA flight from JFK to LHR on the 31st October, and was told flights would not be resuming until 7th November. I find that hard to believe, or could it be that serious which seems reasonable considering the photos.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 am

How? The FAA still shows an unknown reopening day for the airports. I don't think at this point it's the port authority's call. JFK is showing a tentative opening time of 12:30 edt, and LGA is still listed as unknown. EWR should open at 7AM tomorrow.

Yes, the Port Authority has a lot of say in the matter, in conjunction with the FAA.

Oh dear god....this is possibly because of LGA. My dad's flight this week was cancelled and he was rebooked to Thursday on DL but that may be gone too.

Your dad sure is an important guy....are you his personal travel agent?

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 66):There is a report that a barge may have drifted into the east end of LGA (unconfirmed).
Just what LGA needed

That did not happen.

Quoting aussie747 (Reply 75):
I have a friend who was scheduled to be on an an AA flight from JFK to LHR on the 31st October, and was told flights would not be resuming until 7th November. I find that hard to believe, or could it be that serious which seems reasonable considering the photos.

That is not true. Flights will be resuming before that point.

mayor

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 am

DL's plan, as of 5pm, today, was to have a domestic schedule in place at JFK for Wednesday afternoon.

Flights to position LGA's operation for a Thursday morning start will occur late tomorrow night.

jreuschl

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:02 am

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...2/history/20121030/1425Z/EDDM/KEWR

Did LH 412 try to depart for EWR today? LH website says diverted.

PHX787

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:07 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 76):
Your dad sure is an important guy....are you his personal travel agent?

Sometimes I help book flights for him, as I am the only member in the family on A.net. I use a lot of what you guys say on here to choose the best flights. He flies quite a bit out of CVG for work. And he's not really an "important" guy he just needs to fly a lot for his job.

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 76):
That did not happen.

Well good news then.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

deltairlines

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:08 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 77):
DL's plan, as of 5pm, today, was to have a domestic schedule in place at JFK for Wednesday afternoon.

Looking at Delta for tomorrow, they're planning on an afternoon schedule. The redeye LAX-JFK is delayed til 330a to allow it to land at 1215p, TLV-JFK is going to DTW to clear FIS and then continuing on to JFK to land at 1215p, BOG-JFK is delayed 8 hours til 700a to allow an early afternoon arrival.

Seeing all Delta Connection canceled there tomorrow.

Only international arrivals that would require FIS that I see operating are all three LHR arrivals and the AMS arrival (plus the aforementioned BOG). Wouldn't be shocked if they put all those into T4 since it sounds like that didn't have much damage.

PDX88

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 am

Quoting aussie747 (Reply 75):
I have a friend who was scheduled to be on an an AA flight from JFK to LHR on the 31st October, and was told flights would not be resuming until 7th November.

Perhaps it was meant that he could not be confirmed until the 7th of November. Since his flight for tomorrow was cancelled most recently, odds are availability for anything between now and the 7th has been swallowed up by those cancelled yesterday and today. JFK-LHR already runs at a high LF, rebooking 3 days of cancelled flights isn't easy.

xaapb

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:40 am

Evening folks,

I just hope things start to get better for those folks in all the affected areas, preyers for those who passed away with this terrible storm.

I just read in a newspaper here in Mexico, that AM has On Schedule two flights to JFK for tomorrow, according to the newspaper AM inform via twitter that flights AM402 schedule departure 9:15am arriving at 4:15pm and flight AM408 schedule departure 6:15am arrival 1:00pm will operated tomorrow.

Greetings.
Jorge Meneses

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:10 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 80):
Looking at Delta for tomorrow, they're planning on an afternoon schedule. The redeye LAX-JFK is delayed til 330a to allow it to land at 1215p, TLV-JFK is going to DTW to clear FIS and then continuing on to JFK to land at 1215p, BOG-JFK is delayed 8 hours til 700a to allow an early afternoon arrival.

Interesting. Makes good sense too as they can reroute connecting traffic on flights out of DTW, as many of the connections over JFK will not be operating tommorow, thus sending the plane on to JFK with only terminating passengers at JFK.

aklrno

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:57 am

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 71):
I didn't realize trains could run under water...

They run under San Francisco Bay and the East River (when the tunnels aren't flooded.)

mischadee

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:58 am

SK903 just took off from ARN heading to EWR estimated to land at 2:35 pm. Good news. Will be on that flight myself on Tuesday November 6th.
ARNiboy

BP1

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:35 am

FAA.gov is now showing 12:00 PM Noon Eastern Standard Time for the re-opening of JFK versus the 0700. Where will all the JetBlue sleeping beauties divert to now?

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp
Stroopwafel Expert

neveragain

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:13 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 79):
Sometimes I help book flights for him, as I am the only member in the family on A.net. I use a lot of what you guys say on here to choose the best flights.

Well I hope nobody on here is helping you select those short connections that seem to leave you sprinting through ATL time and time again.

Quoting BP1 (Reply 86):
FAA.gov is now showing 12:00 PM Noon Eastern Standard Time for the re-opening of JFK versus the 0700. Where will all the JetBlue sleeping beauties divert to now?

Did any of the B6 aircraft actually start their repositioning flights ex-FLL with the expectation that JFK would open on 31 October at 07:00 local? Flightaware doesn't seem to think so, but a more definitive source would be useful on this one.

Were any of the terminal facilities badly affected by the flooding at any of the NYC airports? The photos of LGA suggest that the water could have crept into the ground floor of those building, but am curious as to what extent there is water damage in any of hte terminals. Keep the photos coming!

[Edited 2012-10-31 04:48:48]

71Zulu

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am

FA shows five B6 flights just landed at JFK, airport must be open.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KJFK

[Edited 2012-10-31 04:17:07]

GCT64

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am

Quoting 71Zulu (Reply 88):
FA shows five B6 flights just landed at JFK, airport must be open.

If Flightaware is to be believed, B6 were quick of the mark, 8 out of the first 9 arrivals. Or perhaps the others were being more conservative and wanted to see if the airport actually opened as forecast.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

71Zulu

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 am

The PANYNJ twitter still says "JFK scheduled to open at noon today, airlines have begun to move aircraft into place". This goes along with what CNN said last night, that JFK was open for arrivals.

https://twitter.com/NY_NJairports

Quoting GCT64 (Reply 89):
If Flightaware is to be believed, B6 were quick of the mark, 8 out of the first 9 arrivals. Or perhaps the others were being more conservative and wanted to see if the airport actually opened as forecast.

I think that DL 1162 was a glitch and all arrivals so far have been B6. Delta.com shows 1162 from last night not departing LAX until 3:54am and arriving JFK at 12:13pm. The next non-B6 arrival looks like that ABX cargo flight arrival 9:02am.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...2/history/20121031/1129Z/KCVG/KJFK

[Edited 2012-10-31 05:01:49]

71Zulu

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 am

dupe, mods please delete

[Edited 2012-10-31 05:03:04]

RickNRoll

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 pm

LGA to stay closed for now due to 'significant damage', according to CNN. Any idea what that damage was?

klemmi85

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 pm

http://www.spiegel.de/video/hurrikan...lar-sachschaden-video-1231395.html

some video footage of LGA is shown there. Video is in german language only.
quit a.net 07/2016

71Zulu

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm

PANYNJ have tweeted that JFK is open with limited service

https://twitter.com/NY_NJairports

peteg913

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:23 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 61):

I'm not exactly sure how the technology works, I'm just familiar with its operation. Sorry.

peteg913

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:33 pm

It's their airport. They can do whatever they want as long as Part 139 and Part 1542 compliance is met. It's up to the ATCSCC how they want to get aircraft in there, but not whether the airport is open or not.

rwy04lga

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Quoting klemmi85 (Reply 93):

http://www.spiegel.de/video/hurrikan...lar-sachschaden-video-1231395.html

some video footage of LGA is shown there. Video is in german language only.

Specifically.....Delta's Terminals D and partially C. Also showing is an almost-completed C/D connector bridge.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Flying Belgian

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Anyone knows if all Nav aids are operative in KJFK ? Or is it only VFR compliant ?

Thxx.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

faxiTMA

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:33 pm

I posted this in the other thread wich is over 200 reply's long, maybe someone here can answer this:

Quote:
Looking at the pictures of the ramp at LGA, I wonder about one thing:

I guess LGA has an underground fuel system and refueling wells. Is it possible for the flood water to enter that system and contaminate the fuel? How well is that insulated? I know it can handle puddles and some moderate patches of water during rainy days, but since the ramp has been flooded for some days, doesn't the water seep in somewhere? Would the system need to be completely drained and overhauled?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos