Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

okay
Topic Author

Finnair And Marimekko Launch Co-operation

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi all,

A few days ago Finnair and Marimekko, a Finnish design house launched a large co-operation due to last 3 years. The co-operation includes a livery of Marimekko design "Unikko" on two Finnair longhaul planes, an A340 (already in service) and an A330 (to be painted next Spring). Also, all Finnair cabins will get Marimekko designed details, such as neck rests, pillows and blankets.

Here is a video taken by a passenger en route to Shanghai where Finnair crew launched the new details and unifroms to be used on the flights.

Finnair says this is a natural step for them to take to become a design airline they aspire to be.

The Unikko design is a carefully patented design which also regulated how it could be installed on an airplane. This is why the flowers are not "all over the place". Here you can see a picture of the "Unikko A340" already flying around.

I really like the idea that two Finnish companies join forces like this. Well done both companies! Opinions?

okAY

Source: Finnair Press Release

okay
Topic Author

RE: Finnair And Marimekko Launch Co-operation

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Just found another video on this. Love it!

okAY

PHX787

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:02 pm

It's a beautiful airliner and I hope to see it at NRT in March! 
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

HELyes

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Great move from AY and Marimekko!

Personally I've got an overdose of the "Poppies", in Finland they have covered about everything but they do look good on A340. Reading AY's press release I understood the other big Bus could get some other Marimekko livery, they have plenty of great patterns.

I think the new tableware for Business Class looks cool, Nordic Finland meets Orient there...

yulqc

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Love it too! Well done Finnair! Haven't got enough of the puppies yet, not been here long enough! With the Iittala glasses used in business, it's actually three Finnish companies teaming up in design!
319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 388, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, MD88, L-1011, Dash-8

filoflyer

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Im glad that finnaird did this design collab with marimekko... What could be more finnish than marimekko.i hope they would give out amenity kits in marimekko pouches too...  Watching their promotional video at first made me worried that they will replace the ultima thule series and i think ultima thule by ittala represents finland and its long winters. Glad they didnt take it away... I love it  

filoflyer

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:42 pm

There was also a marimekko fashionshow inflight! http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=fWvZ1GOUO7Q

okay
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am

Quoting HELyes (Reply 3):

I stand corrected, indeed the A330 will get some other pattern. Which ever they go for, I cannot wait to see the livery on A330, which is my favourite aircraft type since Old Ladies left AY.

Also, A330 is doing the HEL-JFK run, and Marimekko just opened a big shop in Manhattan. Hopefully the Marimekko A330 is assigned as much as possible to JFK-route. I wonder how much they rotate the frames between different routes?

okAY

CPHFF

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:54 am

Quoting okAY (Thread starter):
Well done Finnair!

Well done Marimekko! Their brand has been "on the slide" for quite some time, at least in Europe. I think this is more beneficial for Marimekko than Finnair. LOVE THE LIVERY!
If it weren't for UAW, Detroit would shine!

FlyingAY

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:06 am

Quoting CPHFF (Reply 8):
I think this is more beneficial for Marimekko than Finnair.

Anything to boost the boring white livery of AY must be beneficial for them as well.  

HELyes

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Quoting CPHFF (Reply 8):
Their brand has been "on the slide" for quite some time, at least in Europe. I think this is more beneficial for Marimekko than Finnair. LOVE THE LIVERY!

I agree, this looks more like a Marimekko campaign. They have been busy in Asia and US lately, I read they just opened their 7th shop in Tokyo.

Anyway great AY's planes get some color, I wish Santa would return...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Elizabeth

SouthernDC9

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Not airline related, but Crate & Barrel is big into the Marimekko line and has opened several dedicated shops within their stores... they do have some pretty nifty patterns... Finnair also teamed with the Angry Birds people, who if I'm not mistaken are from and/or based out of Finland...
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

okay
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Quoting HELyes (Reply 10):

Unfortunately what i have understood the deal with Santa has ended and AY is no longer the Official Santa Carrier. But of course the deal can be renewed in the future, but for now Santa is not using blue and white wings when Rudolf is resting.

okAY

HELyes

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Quoting AY" class="quote" target="_blank">okAY (Reply 12):
Unfortunately what i have understood the deal with Santa has ended and AY is no longer the Official Santa Carrier.

I wonder why, you would think Santa and AY are kind of natural partners.

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 11):
Finnair also teamed with the Angry Birds people, who if I'm not mistaken are from and/or based out of Finland...

Angry Birds come from Finnish Rovio Entertainment, their latest the Bad Piggies would look great on AY's aircraft. Big stickers please  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos