tioloko100
Topic Author

Book Flights Online From "World's Worst Airline"?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:38 am

Recently we have seen alot of innovations and surprises but the latter coming from North Korea isnt what we would expect.
Its been announced recently that Air Koryo has announced its intention to start Flight bookings online in a country where many don't know what internet means or how it works, I guess this is putting the cart before the horse.
Internet use requires the basic knowledge of computing and freedom and overseas travels requires money and freedom.

http://flyingactive.com/content/47-w...es-world-s-worst-booking-site.html

AR385

RE: Book Flights Online From "World's Worst Airline"?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:43 am

Who says it´s the "World´s Worst Airline"? Many trip reports you´ll find in the database will not be so harsh, as welll as reviews in other publications, both online and in paper. And I know and have flown many airlines that I can assure you are much worse. Besides, this thread does not seem to belong in this froum. You should try Non-Av.

tioloko100
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:50 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 1):
Who says it´s the "World´s Worst Airline"?

Well According to SkyTraxx its the only airline in the world with 1 star rating

AR385

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:57 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Reply 2):

Great. Do a search on A.net and you´ll find out the consensus through numerous threads about the value of a Skytraxx review. I would not judge an airline by what they say. That is why the "Trip Report" section of this site is pretty nifty.

oldeuropean

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:59 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Thread starter):
Its been announced recently that Air Koryo has announced its intention to start Flight bookings online in a country where many don't know what internet means or how it works, I guess this is putting the cart before the horse.
Internet use requires the basic knowledge of computing and freedom and overseas travels requires money and freedom.

Who did say the plebs should book flights? No they better try to get some bread, just to survive another year.  

This booking ability is indeed intended for foreigners. The dictator needs more money to built his own Disneyland.
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

tymnbalewne

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:02 am

Having done a series of flights on JS I can say they're not the world's worst. Heck, I've been on many an AA flight of similar durations that were inferior to JS!
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

tioloko100
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:57 am

I have been on Cubana twice and its not a good experience too. The use passengers to balance the aircraft centre of Gravity , I was shocked!

duff

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:10 am

tioloko100

All airlines use passengers to adjust the aircraft's centre of gravity.

AR385

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:21 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Reply 6):
I have been on Cubana twice and its not a good experience too. The use passengers to balance the aircraft centre of Gravity , I was shocked!

What airliner were you in? I bet you were not in an IL-96-300, a Tu-154 or an IL-62. You probably were onboard one of their older An-26s. Besides,

Quoting duff (Reply 7):

Specially in turboprops.

Posting half truths and deliberate mis-information, through generalizing, are against the forum rules.

What is your agenda? You seem to be trolling, frankly.

tk1244

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Reply 2):

Some airlines don't even have a SkyTraxx rating!  
I have been on Cubana twice and its not a good experience too. The use passengers to balance the aircraft centre of Gravity, I was shocked!

It is normal that passengers and baggage are used to balance the aircraft's Center of Gravity.   I'm shocked that you rate your Cubana flights as "not a good experience" because of this...
"The future is in the skies. For any nation that cannot defend its skies will never be confident of its future." Atatürk

Viper911

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am

Quoting duff (Reply 7):

tioloko100

Exactly, you can really see it in narrow body air planes, that are not fitted with ULD loading system (only A320 family). That's how we do it, the center of gravity is calculated based on fuel, luggage/cargo and pax on board and if one of the factors throws the CG off the chart you have to compensate somehow, so pax and luggage/cargo are your tools of play. Some air planes are nose or tail heavy, so from the start on we prefer to seat most of the pax in the back or front (based on the air plane), or to load the aircraft this or that way.

Viper911.

turk223

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:33 pm

The use passengers to balance the aircraft centre of Gravity ,

Not uncommon I think... have had it happen on Dash 8s and MD-80s more than once. And on "good airlines" at that!

DariusBieber

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Quoting turk223 (Reply 13):
Not uncommon I think... have had it happen on Dash 8s and MD-80s more than once. And on "good airlines" at that!

True if I remember correctly, it happens more frequently then one may think. Especially on TurboProps. And with the rise of Check-In Bags fees, people are not checking in bags. This lack of payload may force passengers to be moved around, especially if the flight is near-empty and passengers are unequally spread throughout the cabin.

[Edited 2012-10-31 09:50:36]
Aerospace Engineering student

mayor

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Quoting turk223 (Reply 13):
Quoting tioloko100 (Reply 6):The use passengers to balance the aircraft centre of Gravity ,

Not uncommon at all.....child weights to get the max weight down, etc. When I worked in SLC, pre DL/WA merger, we had a 737 operating on our new SLC-CVG service. The first couple of weeks, there weren't many pax booked and not all that much cargo, either. We quite frequently moved the coach pax up to first and used the ATL cargo, along with all the CVG bags up in bin #1, just to get the C/G moving forward.

[Edited 2012-10-31 13:54:54 by srbmod]
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

CZ346

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:49 pm

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 12):

Your profile claims you're a pilot         

I think we all know that isn't true by now... student pilot maybe but even then a lack of basic knowledge and understanding of weight and balance should be there....

Most of the time with weight and balance it's done before boarding through seat reservations, and I would venture to guess that tioloko was referring to them moving pax onboard to adjust the weight and balance. Still, I've been on some Dash 8 flights that have needed to move pax to fix all of this.

W&B affects everything - cruise speed, T/O performance, climb rates... it's one of the most critical points of aeronautical travel...

CrimsonNL

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:50 pm

I really don't like this Skytraxx rating of JS. I've logged several flights with JS and the service was just fine. The interior may be old but you will find that and way poorer service on a lot of European or American airlines. I really wonder how many of those Skytraxx nay-sayers againt JS have actually experienced them.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Plane Holland

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:58 pm

Skytraxx probably had MILLIONS of people vote for Air Koryo for being the worst airline...

Kaiarahi

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 19):
I really wonder how many of those Skytraxx nay-sayers againt JS have actually experienced them.

The trip reviews posted on Skytraxx are actually generally positive.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

tymnbalewne

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:38 pm

The use passengers to balance the aircraft centre of Gravity , I was shocked!

I was on Concorde and passengers were moved to sort of the center of gravity. That didn't affect my feelings on the service, nor was I shocked!!!

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

Viscount724

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Quoting tymnbalewne (Reply 5):
Having done a series of flights on JS I can say they're not the world's worst. Heck, I've been on many an AA flight of similar durations that were inferior to JS!

Air Koryo has successfully pased the IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA), which is not the case for many smaller airlines in Africa and other less-developed parts of the world.

B2468

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 pm

I've visited the DPRK three times, and regrettably have never had a chance to experience JS (always flew CA). However, when at FNJ, the JS aircraft always looked to be in excellent condition, and airport services provided by JS personnel were always professional, if not friendly in my experience.

Granted, it is difficult to compare JS to many other world carriers since JS operates fewer flights and carries fewer pax...probably more appropriate to find an airline that has a fleet of similar size, with similar utilization, and similar pax loads. I think the only thing that justifies the 1-star rating is simply that it is pretty much a 70s-era airline (hence surprise about online booking) operating Russian aircraft...of course there is nothing inherently wrong with this, but it seems to turn off a lot of people. Even my Chinese friends talk smack about JS and how wonderful the PRC's carriers are.

I might be going back to the DPRK next summer, and I am really hoping to get a flight on JS!
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

flybynight

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:33 pm

I have been on Cubana twice and its not a good experience too. The use passengers to balance the aircraft centre of Gravity , I was shocked

Happens all the time when I fly on Horizon's Q400's. If the plane is not full, it is common to move folks from the first 4-6 rows further back in the bus  
Heia Norge!

brilondon

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:18 pm

NW/DL did this to me on several occasions when they flew DTW-YXU. Once the aircraft had me and two other people on it and we were relegated to the back row of the SAAB 340. I assume airlines do that all the time.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

aviateur

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:19 am

Air Koryo is the only 1-star carrier among the Skytrax ratings.

If that's not the world's worst airline, what is?

Oh, wait, I forgot about Ryanair.

Just kidding.

Right?
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

OB1504

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:38 am

Maybe it's just me, but I would've been more shocked if they had allowed the flight to depart without making sure the center of gravity was within limits.

How do you conduct your preflight planning? If distributing weight is a completely foreign concept to you, the FAA (or your local equivalent) may wish to have a word with you.

mayor

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 25):
How do you conduct your preflight planning? If distributing weight is a completely foreign concept to you, the FAA (or your local equivalent) may wish to have a word with you.

You haven't lived until you've had an FAA inspector looking over your shoulder while you're doing a manual weight and balance on a 727.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

RamblinMan

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 am

Typical a.nutter mouthing off on something he knows nothing about.

You would think a community of aviation enthusiasts would LOVE an airline like Cubana or Air Koryo. Both represent exotic aircraft flying to exotic destinations. Tu-154s?!? Hell yeah!

Safety concerns? Pfft, I survived Merpati.

tioloko100
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:36 am

Guys , we had the same experience on Air Turks and Caicos, they use passengers to balance, they fly Embraer 120 Brasilia, its not uncommon to turboprops.

antoniemey

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Reply 28):
Guys , we had the same experience on Air Turks and Caicos, they use passengers to balance, they fly Embraer 120 Brasilia, its not uncommon to turboprops.

It's not uncommon on a lightly-loaded MD-88, either. If there's only 10 people on the flight, the plane is tail-heavy enough that everybody needs to sit up front.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

jumpjets

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:45 pm

This happened to me on a BA767 out of FCO. When we boarded everyone was packed in to the last 10 or so rows and the front 2/3 of the plane was empty - it was explained to us that load was restricted due to extremely heavy piece of cargo - and our seating was allocated to balance the plane out. Once we had taken off we were allowed to spread out but had to resume original seats for landing.

Does this make BA one of the worlds worst airlines?? [I think that better be a rhetorical question.]

I've not flown Cubana, but did fly cuba domestic on an Aerogaviota An26 which was a little bit scary - the back door jolted open as we were taxiing after landing - but the crew were absolutely lovely.

Semaex

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Okay, so by now even the most unfamiliar folks to aviation know that the CG is very important on aircraft, thanks nutters for the last 30 posts  

To come back to the topic at hand.
Obviously the freedom of internet booking on JS is not primarily aimed at people from the DPRK. The country needs money, and although we don't know a lot about this nation, I'm fairly sure they too don't grow Dollar bills on trees.

However the OP also mentions that it takes time and effort to know how to handle a computer, moreso to discover the internet. I tend to be of different opinion.
You will be surpried how intuitive it is to handle an Iphone these days, and obviously even older systems serve the purpose of gaining attraction and being easy to handle. After all, who in the right mind would buy stuff that he isn't able to control? Manufacturers build computers in such a way that even dummies will sooner or later find their way around, and the internet too is so quite simple to handle, you'll get it sooner or later.
If five year old 'western' children can do it, why would midaged Koreans not be able to?
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast if you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

starrymarkb

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:44 pm

I was reading a piece yesterday about how the One Laptop Per Child people gave Android tablets to an Ethihopian village with no instruction or help (but with a monitoring system recording which apps were used) The kids found out how to turn them on within a few minutes. Within weeks they were singing songs and learning to read! In 5 months they had HACKED Android to enable the camera (that had been disabled to begin with!)

it doesn't take long if you are keen to learn!

[Edited 2012-11-01 08:46:06]

macsog6

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:49 am

Quoting aviateur (Reply 23):

Oh, wait, I forgot about Ryanair.

Each of us could probably add a similar comment, but my immediate thought was I've been able to book flights on UA on-line for some time.   

Only kidding....no one needs to kill me.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

tioloko100
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:04 pm

Quoting aviateur (Reply 23):

Thanks my friend i am glad you agree with the motion

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos