Turkish350XWB

RE: TK To CCS, MEX, HAV, BOS, SFO, YUL

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Quoting wingedtaurus (Reply 99):
It is very similar to GRU who is making a good run.

Do you mean the LF on that route ?

neveragain

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 98):
Actually Houston was on the agenda back 2010. There was a Turkish government delegation visit including the transport minister which indicated TK would commence the service, but without a firm time frame. If you follow the Turkish aviation thread we had discussion back at the time as well.

I'm aware of this.

But we seem to be creating "classes" of announcements:

(1) Those cities for which TK management has stated publicly, in one way, shape, or form, to which service will be added

(2) (1) plus a site visit by the transport minister

(3) Stock market filing

But in essence there is no firm timeline required for the stock market notifications to happen.

Then I don't get the point. Why not just file a Form 8-K (Turkish equivalent of course) with the press release when the service is announced?

As I pointed out earlier, these notifications basically only serve to provide an inside glimpse of what the network and commercial folks have in mind - a peak at their wish list essentially.

To what end? Marketing? Pure puffery? Signal to QR: "Stay out of Boston?"

Same with the statements about LH-TK a couple of weeks ago.

(For the record, I'm not trying to be critical of TK, just trying to understand the rationale. I've flown TK a couple of times and very much enjoyed it.)

leftyboarder

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Stock market filings are required as the company will be doing some form of internal study about opening the line following this filing and they need to inform shareholders. The actual press release regarding a line opening is the end result of those internal studies and relevant permissions being taken. Apart from these two, any publicity - be it from a minister or the CEO himself - is just pure speculation / wishlist. I don't think it is that confusing.

Determine potential destinations with market studies -> Inform the stock market and investors -> Do a study on route dynamics, a/c need, frequencies, obtain permissions, slots -> Announce the new destination to public -> Load to GDS and start selling -> Start flying

neveragain

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 102):
I don't think it is that confusing.

What other airlines operate that way though?

QR perhaps. Maybe that's the point.

It may just be a reflection of unique Turkish securities law.

[Edited 2012-11-13 14:40:40]

XA744

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting wingedtaurus (Reply 99):
I think MEX is the strongest candidate

Nah, I don't think so...kindly, allow me to explain: I know, I have been away from the industry, already 12 years, but believe things have not changed that much, in regards to the flow of Mexican air travel to countries beyond the Americas and Europe. You see, like someone has already,roughly,mentioned in this thread before, the niche and momentum are just not yet there. Mexico still has to go a long way, before it could develop a strong market base for carriers from Central Asia and the Middle East....Mexico, at this time, can hardly support existing direct links with China and Japan, but nothing else.

You fellas, out there, can flame me all you want, but that is the way it is and how it will remain, for some more time, I say.

...in summary, Turkish Airlines would be making a great mistake if it decides to open a regular air link with Mexico; no substance that could back such a costly and non-sense enterprise.

...trust me on this one.

Best regards

[Edited 2012-11-13 15:27:19]
No matter how you fly...just never get your wings clipped !

Tupolev160

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:39 am

I wonder why QR/EK never tried to link IAH and MEX, that route would definitely make sense to exist.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

miaintl

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:34 am

Is TK still interested in flying to MIA? I think MIA is a much more feasible destination than HAV since it is much more premium-oriented. That being said Miami has a large Lebanese and Israeli population that can surely use this flight,

EddieDude

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Quoting Tupolev160 (Reply 105):
wonder why QR/EK never tried to link IAH and MEX, that route would definitely make sense to exist.

Because there is no way they would get fifth-freedom rights for the IAH-MEX-IAH sectors.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

chrisnh

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 97):
Aircraft availability should be easier as well - as this could be an easy 332/333 route (about 4200 nm) ... bring it on before QR or EK calls it!

The most silent of these carriers has been Emirates, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them in Boston before the other two.

miaintl

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:15 am

I recently heard that TK will be announcing MIA service for next year and that miami will be its next destinations.

Avianca

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:53 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 61):

Indeed wow, how on earth can TK make CCS work? If the Middle Eastern population in Venezuela really was that big, why have all other attempts on such a route been so unsuccesful. I know V0 is a different story but I mean, if the demand was there they would have operated at least more frequently, no?
Quoting EddieDude (Reply 78):
How large is the actual population of Venezuela that can afford and is willing to travel internationally beyond traditional destinations such as the Americas and Europe? Given the situation of the country, we are talking of a small elite that won't be getting any larger in the next few years and who already have their long-haul needs satisfied by U.S. and European airlines (and many of them already live in Miami, anyway). I don't think CCS is a good idea for TK at all, but I guess I could be proved wrong.

interesting that everybody means that it would be such an exotic flight. following arguments are more than correct.

Quoting orl777 (Reply 65):
CCS can perfectly work for TK, Remember that Venezuelan likes to travel a lot, so we have almost all flight full every day, we have a lack of seat and almost no offer to Europe.. also we have a HUGE chinese population also can work for TK, I hope this route can become reality!

Remeber that the Iran Air flight was more political than any other reason, same goes with the Damascus flight, but with Turkish they can use the flight for connecting with Europe, Middle East and Asia!
Quoting Avianca (Reply 17):
Venezuela - has a big MidEast community, specially from Libanon, but also Palestina, Jordania, Syria etc.

Also the loads to China, India are increasing a lot, fares are high yield.
As before mentioned I still doubt it but for sure not impossible.

well the estimated population in Venezuela of Arab origin or decendent are belive it or not 1.600.000 - roughly 6% of the total population - main origins are Syira, Palestina and Libanon. They are represented in all levels - including some important followers / ministers, governours are of Arab origin. Beside their is an important trafic of Venezulean Expats communiting back and forth to Saudia Arabia working in the oil industires. and as mentioned for sure TK would target a lot the Chinese market, which is incredible hugh - much bigger than many would think. A big ethnic chinese community in Venezuela - mostly cantonese and also from taiwan. We have even a daily chinese newspapger in Valencia! these days AF is getting the biggest bunch of business, sometimes when taking the CDG-CCS flight you first would think to be on a flight leaving for China / Hong Kong. Also lets not forget tha in the last years a hugh "cheap" workforce immigrated from China to Venezuela thanks to agreements between Venezuela and China - were the chinese companys not only provide the tecnology but also the workforce.

I am also sure TK would get some feed from other * carrier like TA, CM and AV.

As last point - even the airlines have some dealy to get out their money from the country the Venezulean market is incredible high yield!

The cheapest fares you can find to Europe for example are around 1.500 USD - but normally in the range of +2.000 USD + for the cheapest booking class. I pay for example for my christmas vacation to germany 3.000 USD per person even we booked already in July. Same goes for Asia - the cheapest fares via Europe are at at least 3.500 USD per person.

On the cargo side - the IST-CCS leg would be for sure achieve very high loads with a good yield, specially for transit cargo ex Asia / India on the opposit the CCS-IST leg would be basically 0 due to limited exports from Venezuela

So all in all I am sure TK would be not silly to start the route.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 64):
IST TK hub - CCS/MEX/HAV O/D may be something, but still doesn't seem to be that large.
Quoting ASA (Reply 76):
cheap CITGO gas on the way to IST

well what I heard is that CCS is one of the most expensive airports in the region for gas - specially for non Venezulean airlines - and payable in USD - not Local currency. totatlly the opposite for car gas - well I pay to fill up my pick-up truck around 0,60 USD  

Cheers
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

miaintl

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 110):

Miami would see service from TK way before CCS will. Their is much more premium traffic to Turkey, the Middle East and elsewhere from Miami. Miami has finance and banks and many tech companies what has CCS to offer?

Avianca

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:32 am

Quoting miaintl (Reply 111):

Miami would see service from TK way before CCS will. Their is much more premium traffic to Turkey, the Middle East and elsewhere from Miami. Miami has finance and banks and many tech companies what has CCS to offer?

well I have no problems with your wish that MIA should get first TK service, but finally it decides TK or?

I am just courious to know on what are you basing that MIA has much more premimum traffic than CCS?

1. MIA / SouthFlorida has much more connections to Europe and 1 stop to rest of the world than CCS.
2. just check my post above - 1.6 mio of Arabs / decents living in Venezuela.
3. Big Chinese community in Venezuela with a big Chinese expat community
4. Oil traffic - mostly generated as already explained due to VE expats working in Saudi-Arabia and other parts of the plane were TK can offer connections - these kind of travelers flying back and forth each several weeks.
5. again check my post above I mentioned the ticket fares, and that was only base for Eco.

So if MIA gets first the TK service congratulations - just as recomendation, dont post useles comments without knowing facts about the market in CCS / Venezuela.

And finally the anouncement was done by TK.

Cheers
Avianca

miaintl

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:44 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 112):

MIA does not have more connections to Europe than CCS with the exceptions of BA and LX maybe. Plus IST is not based on Europe connections but to connections to the middle east and central Asia.

leftyboarder

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:00 am

Quoting miaintl (Reply 111):
Miami would see service from TK way before CCS will.

One can never know for sure of course, but no announcements whatsoever regarding MIA so far might mean otherwise.

miaintl

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 am

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 114):

An announcement was made back in July. That is pretty recent to me, plus i find it hard to believe that HAV will see TK service before MIA.

leftyboarder

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:24 am

Quoting miaintl (Reply 115):

An announcement was made back in July. That is pretty recent to me, plus i find it hard to believe that HAV will see TK service before MIA.

Where was this made? TK website has no such announcement for July. Please read LAXIntl's reply 95 or my reply 102. Only official announcements carry actual weight.

LX138

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:52 am

HAV would be very strange. Someone said there could be feed from China onto that flight. Who an earth from China would be going to HAV?! There's no feed possibilities from the east whatsoever.

MEX is strange. You'd think their best strategy would to be to lure Europeans onto this flight but that means backtracking a long way for most. Perhaps theres a big Turkish community in MEX?

The others seem a bit more sensible.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

EddieDude

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Quoting LX138 (Reply 117):
MEX is strange. You'd think their best strategy would to be to lure Europeans onto this flight but that means backtracking a long way for most. Perhaps theres a big Turkish community in MEX?

Yes, serving European travelers would be backtracking, especially when there are plenty of connections via YYZ, IAD, JFK, ATL, EWR, CLT, IAH, DFW, MIA and ORD. There is not a large Turkish colony in Mexico... there is a "large" Lebanese colony, but they would not generate sufficient demand.
Upcoming flights:

777jaah

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 113):
MIA does not have more connections to Europe than CCS with the exceptions of BA and LX maybe.

How about DL and AA flying europe??
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

Tupolev160

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Found CCS-PEK round-trip for around 1800 USD via Miami and Seattle in January. Not that bad you would say. I doubt TK can do better. I really see no perspective for that market. The only other destination that would make sense for TK to open in the Americas that's definitely BOS. I highly doubt EZE as well, would be interesting to know the real numbers on IST-GRU and stop speculating.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Avianca

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 113):
MIA does not have more connections to Europe than CCS with the exceptions of BA and LX maybe. Plus IST is not based on Europe connections but to connections to the middle east and central Asia.

I am litte bit wondering based on what you are making your posts comments? just gut feeling?

well here we go if my calculation is correct MIA has this winter 104 weekly nonstop flights to Euorpe.

CCS has 41 nonstop flights - before you say what I am posting is not true... here we go with the corresponding flights.

MIA has
TP to LIS 3 x weekly with A332
AA to MAD, BCN, each 7 x weekly with B767 and 10 x weekly to LHR with a B777 / 767 combo
IB to MAD 10 x weekly with A346 and A343
AF to CDG 6 x weekly with B777
AZ to MXP 3 x weekly with A330 and 6 x weekly FCO with A330 / B777 combo
AB to DUS 6 x weekly and 3 x weekly to TXL using A330
LH to DUS 5 x weekly with A343 and 7 x weekly to FRA using A380
OR to AMS 2 x weekly with B767
LX to ZRH 7 x weekly with A330
BA to LHR 21 x weekly with B747 / B777 mix
VS to LHR 7 x weekly with A346/B747 mix

CCS has
TP to LIS 4 x weekly with A332 (1 is operated via Funchal) and 1 x weekly to OPO with A332
IB to MAD 7 x weekly with A346
UX to MAD 7 x weekly with A330
V0 to MAD 2 x weekly with 767
AZ to FCO 7 x weekly with A330
AF to CDG 7 x weekly with A343
LH to FRA 7 x weekly with A346

regarding seat capacity my feeling says that the ratio is even higher compared to frequenzy.

Also - TK may not be serving passengers to western Europe - as mentioned before the main market for them would be mid-east and asia - were MIA would have a tons of additional 1 stop connections beside options on European carrier.

Quoting Tupolev160 (Reply 120):
Found CCS-PEK round-trip for around 1800 USD via Miami and Seattle in January. Not that bad you would say. I doubt TK can do better. I really see no perspective for that market. The only other destination that would make sense for TK to open in the Americas that's definitely BOS. I highly doubt EZE as well, would be interesting to know the real numbers on IST-GRU and stop speculating.

of course you can always find good deals, but is this the norm? also biggest bunch of our Chinese friends living in Venezuela dont have US or Canada Visa to transit via... easier for them to get schengen transit visa (not even sure if its needed).

Cheers
Avianca

wingedtaurus

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 118):

I think there is room in MEX for either TK/EK/QR or EY whoever gets first. The way I see it is not only in terms of Turkey but in connections to the Middle East, East-Southern Africa and India, the key as TK knows well are the connections. TK has an advantage over the others: it is closer to MEX. IST-MEX is 1600 miles shorter than either tnan DOH and DXB, I'm not even sure DOH and DXB are technicaly feasible. I think they will give a run for their money to the European carriers getting passangers to these regions, their product is great and Mexican citizens can get a visa at the airport. The problem with MEX is of course the distance and the altitude, but also the NY/Eurocentric view that these airports are the the only way to go to these places. If TK has good prices I'm sure they can fly 3x weekly as they do in GRU. Not counting SFO and BOS, MEX is a bigger airport than the rest.

leftyboarder

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting Tupolev160 (Reply 120):

72.5 is the LF for IST-GRU. This is 8 pts higher than last year.

nostrum

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 115):

HAV supports 10x weekly AF 77W, year-round KL service to AMS and 6x SU year-round service. KL and SU fly seasonal to MIA and AF can't even support a 7x weekly.

By any means I'm saying HAV is surpassing MIA or they're comparable in any way, but HAV is underestimated.

EddieDude

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 am

Quoting wingedtaurus (Reply 122):
I think there is room in MEX for either TK/EK/QR or EY whoever gets first. The way I see it is not only in terms of Turkey but in connections to the Middle East, East-Southern Africa and India, the key as TK knows well are the connections. TK has an advantage over the others: it is closer to MEX. IST-MEX is 1600 miles shorter than either tnan DOH and DXB

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you on several points. See below:

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 78):
IST-MEX from a purely O&D perspective is a bad proposition. There are no meaningful diplomatic or economic ties between the two countries that would justify a non-stop flight. The motivation for TK is clearly the opportunity to offer connections between flights to MEX, on the one hand, and Middle East, Africa and Central Asia destinations, on the other. I, too, applaud the thinking-outside-the-box and, if they actually go ahead and do it soon, their making it happen before EK and QR.

I want to be optimistic about this, but I think it is not as easy as it sounds. As I have said, the 77W might be the only plane in TK's fleet with the legs to reach IST from MEX nonstop, but it is way too big for whatever the size of the market that may exist. This is a mission better suited to 788s, 789s or 77Ls; anything bigger than that is a recipe for disaster. I wonder if the enhanced A332 that will be rolled out in a year or two would be able to reach IST from MEX nonstop without penalties.

There is another issue. Mexico's economic and commercial ties are mostly with the U.S. and, to a lesser extent, Europe and the rest of Latin America. Far, far behind are countries such as Japan and China. The ties with countries from the Middle East, East Africa, Central Asia and with India are far too small at the moment to justify a service to the Middle East. While there are a few Indian and Middle Eastern companies with interests in Mexico and viceversa, that would only account for a handful of passengers per month, and I doubt that launching a flight solely on tourism and a small number of V.F.R. pax is a good idea.
Upcoming flights:

Viscount724

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 121):
also biggest bunch of our Chinese friends living in Venezuela dont have US or Canada Visa to transit via... easier for them to get schengen transit visa (not even sure if its needed).

No Schengen transit visa needed assuming the passenger is connecting the same day.

miaintl

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 am

Quoting Nostrum (Reply 124):
MIA-CDG is daily in the summer, so that 6xweekly schedule is only for the winter months. Are you sure SU is only seasonal?

[Edited 2012-11-15 16:30:21]

A388

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Quoting Nostrum (Reply 124):
By any means I'm saying HAV is surpassing MIA

I'm not so sure about that. In any case, MIA is much more important for these airlines than HAV is. HAV is a purely leisure destination, if demand drops these airlines will stop serving here but with MIA that's not the case.

A388

Argentina

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:59 am

EZE finally joins TK list of destinations effective 11DEC2012

From airlineroute.net
Turkish Airlines to Start Buenos Aires Operation from Dec 2012

Update at 0840GMT 19NOV12

Turkish Airlines starting 11DEC12 is extending its 4 weekly Istanbul – Sao Paulo operation to Buenos Aires, on board Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. With the service extension, Sao Paulo – Istanbul sector sees operational schedule changes, which has been reflected in the GDS since July 2012. However, reservation for Sao Paulo – Buenos Aires sector did not appear until Saturday 17NOV12.

Schedule:

TK015 IST0920 – 1900GRU2015 – 2155EZE 77W x146
TK016 EZE2355 – 0345+1GRU0505+1 – 2125+1IST 77W x146

A388

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Quoting Argentina (Reply 129):
Schedule:

TK015 IST0920 – 1900GRU2015 – 2155EZE 77W x146
TK016 EZE2355 – 0345+1GRU0505+1 – 2125+1IST 77W x146

Wow, a new destination starting service before all the other ones in this thread. Why is EZE started and CCS, MEX, HAV, BOS, SFO, YUL have not? Do the bilateral agreements still need to be amended or updated?

A388

airbazar

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 130):
Wow, a new destination starting service before all the other ones in this thread. Why is EZE started and CCS, MEX, HAV, BOS, SFO, YUL have not?

Because they've been working on starting EZE for 2 years now.

Turkish350XWB

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Why is EZE started and CCS, MEX, HAV, BOS, SFO, YUL have not?

Because it is a tag-on to the GRU flight and no extra frame is needed for this, just adjustment of the flight schedule. GRU looses its connectivity to India/Pakistan but gains connectivity to China and Far East which is a smart move in my eyes.

LAXintl

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Why is EZE started and CCS, MEX, HAV, BOS, SFO, YUL have not?

Because they have have been working to launch EZE for almost 2-years now.

As reference they made their required Istanbul Stock Exchange notification back in May 2011 about intent to service the market.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

A388

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 131):
Because they've been working on starting EZE for 2 years now.
Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 132):
Because it is a tag-on to the GRU flight and no extra frame is needed for this, just adjustment of the flight schedule. GRU looses its connectivity to India/Pakistan but gains connectivity to China and Far East which is a smart move in my eyes.
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 133):
As reference they made their required Istanbul Stock Exchange notification back in May 2011 about intent to service the market.

I see, thanks. So this route was announced two years ago. In other words, long overdue but finally happening. Let's see how long it will take for the other routes to start. Hopefully soon.

A388

LAXintl

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Yes took a while to sort things out with Argentina. Even though the first bilateral between the nations was signed in 2005, took over 1-year to receive the local clearances in EZE for the services.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

C010T3

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 135):
Yes took a while to sort things out with Argentina. Even though the first bilateral between the nations was signed in 2005, took over 1-year to receive the local clearances in EZE for the services.

Well, I don't think the whole problem lies on Argentina. I don't think it's a coincidence that the flight is being launched only one month in advance. Airlines received GRU slot allocations in the beginning of November for S13 service. Before that, there was no guarantee that TK would be able to continue serving EZE from GRU beyond W12.

ACT7

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 am

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 20):
Can YUL really support QR and TK?

I see QR and TK surviving, but I don't see RJ doing very well if TK secures YUL. They've had 2 frequencies a week since they started so there must be something holding them back from expanding. Another competitor and they're toast in my opinion.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos