bjorn14
Topic Author

STN Wants China Routes.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:29 pm

I saw this on BBC. It could just be an article justifying the marketing department's jobs or do they really have a shot?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-20191305
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

GIANCAVIA

RE: STN Wants China Routes.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 pm

"STN" want's any routes they can get at the moment. They have even been losing out to Southend.

kaitak

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:23 pm

I'd be extremely surprised; it's not an established destination for London bound Chinese passengers (Heathrow being the main one, although LGW has flights now); the real issue is lack of feed and no short haul carrier is going to set up at STN in competition with FR.

Cargo flights are much more likely (does STN have these already, to China?)

[Edited 2012-11-13 11:23:48]

acedriver

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:36 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 2):
Cargo flights are much more likely (does STN have these already, to China?)

BA World Cargo, which is based in STN, is frequently pictured at PVG and HKG, so i would say yes, there are already cargo flights to China from STN, but I don't think they are direct flights though.

Btblue

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:55 am

Stansted does have the ability to do more, given its location (very quick to the City and North East London. Also Cambridge, Bedford and Hertfordshire - huge catchment areas that are easily accessible within an hour from STN either by train, bus or car.

The terminal facilities I think could be improved and not having a feeder carrier may be a problem but couldn't they offer a service with an onward connection to the US or something? So in essence, doing what say, Kuwait Airways do at Heathrow?

lutfi

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:21 am

Cambridge has a population of 125,000. Not sure that qualifies as a huge catchement area...

Btblue

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 am

Quoting Lutfi (Reply 5):
Cambridge has a population of 125,000. Not sure that qualifies as a huge catchement area...

I agree, Cambridge alone doesn't but I never said that it did. Suggest you read the post again, but to clarify:

Cambridge and the other areas (Bedford, Hertfordshire etc) sit within the East of England which has a population of about 7 million. Add to that central, east and north London (as I pointed out) one would think there is scope to develop routes to China from STN.

ZKOJH

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 am

It will be interesting to see if they pull this off and beat MAN to it, and they have been trying for years and get nothing!
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

[email protected]

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:59 am

As Chinese carrier tend to serve also ""secondary"" markets, some of them seems to be strange e.g. :
MU 1 x week to HAM
HU 3 x week to LED
HU x 3 week to TXL
HU x 3 week to BUD
CA 2 x week to ATH

so why STN, e.g. for the booming chinese trourist, eventhough I've heard "many" tend to avoid GB currently as they are not part of the Schengen visa

Also with their lower cost structure they can more easy serve non prime business destination

flyingalex

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 8):
so why STN, e.g. for the booming chinese trourist, eventhough I've heard "many" tend to avoid GB currently as they are not part of the Schengen visa

I think that in the end this may be the problem. STN does not offer many opportunities for airside transfers (unless you have hand-luggage only, you cannot connect onto an LCC like Ryanair without going landside), and the UK itself is a finite market. At least LHR (and to a lesser extent LGW) offers connecting feed which can be accessed without the need for pax to have a British entry visa.

I don't buy the argument that STN has a "huge" catchment area. There are some people living there, yes, but nearly as many as on the western side of London. In terms of business traffic, STN is also not ideal - there is a lot more business activity to the west of London than to the east of London.
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos