Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A388

RE: 'Tis The Season - Caribbean Aviation Thread 103

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:25 am

Quoting TriniA340 (Reply 98):
Probably SAS, since they are the flag carrier of Sweden, Norway & Denmark.

SAS doesn't do charter flights to the Caribbean. Thomas Cook Scandinavia, does.

A388

BW424
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:55 am

"Bad news this year, better news next year."

Those eight words pretty much sum up the past and future for Antigua-based regional carrier Liat, which expects to record a loss of $8.5 million in 2012.

LIAT seeks to end losing streak

On the brighter side, it projects a profit of $2.5 million in 2013 and $14.7 million by 2017.

CEO Ian Brunton and Chairman Jean Holder recently unveiled a new business plan to reverse the carrier's fortunes, a plan that includes revamping and downsizing its management structure to a team of six executives headed by the CEO and upgrading the fleet to 50-seat and larger turboprop aircraft.

The airline, which was established in 1956, making it the longest-surviving Caribbean carrier, has been in the red for several years, losing $7.4 million in 2010 and $15.8 million last year.

Brunton placed the blame on higher fuel costs, combined with lower passenger traffic and an aging fleet, plus high maintenance and employee costs."

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...r-Liat-seeks-end-to-losing-streak/

LI is definitely the hottest item to look at in 2012. They project a profit for 2013 and really seem to be moving full speed ahead. Exciting to hear of "mid-size jets" to come way down the road. At least they appear to have their priorities set unlike other carriers.  http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...r-Liat-seeks-end-to-losing-streak/

"CAL Chairman: Don’t expect profit soon"

(Trinidad Express) Don’t expect national carrier Caribbean Airlines (CAL) to turn a profit within the next 24 months.

That’s the word from airline chairman Rabindra Moonan.

In an interview with the Sunday Express yesterday, Moonan said the airline had embarked on several initiatives to rationalise assets and turn CAL into a more efficient operation.

Even so, it will be a while before the airline can become a profitable enterprise.

“Caribbean Airlines is at present not performing above the line, but there are many reasons for this situation—funding for the ATR fleet and wet leases to adequately satisfy the demands of the traffic throughout the system are just two instances which have impacted the bottom line. Rest assured, however, that everything is being done to reverse the situation in the shortest possible timeframe,” he told the Sunday Express."

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2012/new...-chairman-dont-expect-profit-soon/

Another CAL article filled with half-truths and paltry facts/analysis by the speaking official. Imagine, this is what BW has descended to. We've gone from developing a respected sustainable and responsible corporate citizen of the Caribbean to a helter-skelter lease frenzy politically abused air taxi now featuring its own BIG planes (yay!) to bring in travellers to POS where gains will not immediately reflect positively on the airline balance sheet, but indirectly on the state's GDP......wow....how delightful (sarcastic tone). It burns my heart to see CAL in this state........but....bullsh### is bullsh###
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

A388

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 101):
and upgrading the fleet to 50-seat and larger turboprop aircraft.

Seeing is believing.

A388

andrefranca

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 101):

I don't know how price sensitive caribbean people are, but have you checked LI prices recently? I had to cut by 3 destinations on my list cause they're just too expensive, I don't know where they expect to get if pax numbers keep dropping, saddly they know people don't really have a choice!  

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:24 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 102):
Seeing is believing.

I agree. But, I still think LI should be give a good positive outlook as they are talking sense.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 103):
I don't know how price sensitive caribbean people are, but have you checked LI prices recently? I had to cut by 3 destinations on my list cause they're just too expensive, I don't know where they expect to get if pax numbers keep dropping, saddly they know people don't really have a choice!

I hear your frustration. One thing that must be said is that Brunton himself has identified those challenges and what are creating those challenges. Rome wasn't built in one day and a new, mean and lean LI isn't any different. The first step to turning around the corner is recognizing your weak areas, their causes and tailoring a plan that can hopefully mitigate/eradicate those weak areas. I'd say look at LI about 2.5 yrs from now provided Brunton and management is allowed free and full reign over ops and hopes of reduced taxes materialize.

I remember when the new BW started, people were still in their backward mindsets about the carrier with all sorts of reasons why CAL wouldn't succeed. Albeit the current political climate that has ruined the carrier, BW was very successful up to that mid 2010 point. Everything takes time and personally, I'm seeing the right signs for a much better LI in the medium term.

guyanam

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 92):
Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 93):

I assume the high density seating will be used. I get the impression that BA and VS attract a very different market. VS getting the more price conscious folks who dont want charters. BA the more upscale and the VFR. So as BA offers a premium product tosome islands like BGI and UVF/POS, I doubt that VS will

More likely a Scandinavian charter.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 103):

There is a very boring and unending discussion by Caribbean govts about "high intra regional fares". What is not discussed is that 40% of this fare is due to taxes levied by these govts. While they scream at the UK govt for "stifling" travel between that country and the Cbn, they happily stifle intra regional travel by doing the same thing. SXM is a particularly bad example of this.

So what can be a lucrative market (multi destination tourism) by people originating from outside of the region is stifled. They all blame LIAT, but I am confident that if some one does an inflation adjusted fare comparison of current levels with 2000, one will note that fares (excluding taxes) have not significantly increased.

So people wanting to visit several Cbn islands, much as many visit several Hawaiian islands, or several European countries, cannot do so.

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:36 am

A very Merry Christmas to all our contributors and observers!!

817Dreamliiner

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 106):
A very Merry Christmas to all our contributors and observers!!

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else!  
Quoting guyanam (Reply 105):
I assume the high density seating will be used. I get the impression that BA and VS attract a very different market. VS getting the more price conscious folks who dont want charters. BA the more upscale and the VFR. So as BA offers a premium product tosome islands like BGI and UVF/POS, I doubt that VS will

While that may be true, i'll find it very strange if they didn't offer upper class on these routes, but who knows...
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

817Dreamliiner

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 am

Just found this video of a CAL 767 doing a touch and go at ANU. Anyone know when this was and which aircraft (reg) it was?

http://youtu.be/SEVoSPuMqKs
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

caribbean484

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:22 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 106):

Merry Christmas to everyone!! Got some snow out in Long Island last night and some more are likely tomorrow.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 105):
I get the impression that BA and VS attract a very different market. VS getting the more price conscious folks who dont want charters.

I get that impressions also, however it seems from the link in this forum VS will indeed reposition a 3 class A333 to service BGI from next year.

Quoting A388 (Reply 100):

I get the feeling that its Thomas Cook, it is indeed much needed lift for the winter and hopefully that they can convince VS to have 2w A333 from next winter.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 108):

It was done in October I believe when they were doing transatlantic proving flights.
All ah we is one family

817Dreamliiner

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 109):
It was done in October I believe when they were doing transatlantic proving flights.

Interesting, thanks.

Read this from a thread in this forum, I assume this is the same thread 484 was referring to:

Virgin LGW Fleet Update (by cipango Dec 25 2012 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting sevenheavy (Reply 5):
G-VINE will be reconfigured in March, in time for operating trips to BGI throughout the summer. G-VKSS and G-VSXY will be reconfigured in September and October. They will then be rotated between LHR and LGW on higher yielding routes to the Caribbean as well as LHR to JFK/ORD/BOM/DEL/IAD/BOS/MIA

LimaFoxTango

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:23 am

Dominica becomes LIAT shareholder

ROSEAU, Dominica, Dec 28, CMC – Dominica will attend its first shareholders meeting of the regional airline, LIAT, on Friday after making an initial payment of three million dollars (One EC dollar = US$0.37 cents) to the cash-strapped Antigua-based airline, Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has announced.

Skerrit along with financial secretary Rosemund Edwards are attending the shareholders meeting in Barbados.

Prior to his departure, Prime Minister Skerrit defended the decision to put funds into the airline, whose other shareholder governments are Antigua and Barbuda, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Barbados.

“The government of Dominica has made a payment to LIAT in the amount of three million dollars that will go towards our contribution and participation in the redevelopment of LIAT.

“As we have maintained we see this as an important venture. We recognise that LIAT itself has certain challenges, but the question is which airline in the world does not and we believe from a government standpoint we are looking at a wider benefit of LIAT to Dominica and the wider Caribbean,” Skeritt said.

Prime Minister Skerrit, who has promised to address the nation on the issue, said Dominica regards the investment in LIAT as a means of “safeguarding and protecting the investments the government has made in tourism ....”

“So Dominica shall attend the shareholders meeting in Barbados on December 28 and so we will be able to sit on board and assist with the continued presence of LIAT flying into Dominica and the wider region,” he added.

Earlier this month, LIAT unveiled a new business plan it said would help reverse an EC$43 million loss last year while projecting a two per cent profit in 2013.

Recently appointed chief executive officer Ian Brunton said that the airline is expected to record EC$23 million in losses at the end of this year.

“The projections show strong revenues and significant bottom line improvement. LIAT is projected to reverse its current losses and record a profit of EC$7 million in 2013 and by 2017, profits in excess of EC$40 million are projected,” said Brunton, who noted that since 2009, the airline has had to deal with high fuel costs and lower passenger traffic that has seriously affected its finances.

In 2010, LIAT recorded losses of EC$20.2 million, which increased to EC$43 million in 2011 “largely driven by higher fuel costs combined with lower passenger volumes”.

http://www.nationnews.com/articles/v...dominica-becomes-liat-shareholder/
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

LimaFoxTango

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:29 pm

LIAT given green light to purchase new aircraft

Shareholder governments of the regional airline, LIAT, have given the green light to plans to renew the airline’s aging fleet and the expansion of its operations.

The shareholders-St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica, Barbados and Antigua and Barbuda- met here on Friday and according to St. Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, part payments have already been made for the new planes.

“We have made some payments already some shareholder governments towards the fleet renewal and the idea is to have a mix of 48 and 68 seaters between next year and 2014,” Gonsalves said, adding LIAT was also looking at a mixture of purchasing and leasing the French-made aircraft.

“We have given a tentative yes to the board exploring a jet service beyond the 68 seaters and we are looking for strategic partners in that regard,” he added.

Antigua and Barbuda’s Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer described the meeting as “a sort of watershed if you like in the history of LIAT in the sense that we have now come to terms with the fact that LIAT is a living organism in this region and in order for us to become or remain relevant and to be able to deliver the service for this region then we have to move in a particular direction”.

Dominica which recently became the fourth major shareholder of the Antigua-based regional airline defended its decision to pump millions of dollars into the cash-strapped company.

“I have asked those who criticise us to close their eyes for a few seconds and picture LIAT not flying to Dominica for one day, not for one week, for one day and one can appreciate the implications for our economy whether it is bringing people into Dominica or getting people out of Dominica or getting our agricultural produce out of Dominica.

“The Dominica government recognises that we cannot continue only having Barbados, Antigua and Barbuda and St. Vincent and the Grenadines carrying the weight of this very important element of the economy,” Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said.

Barbados Prime Minister Freundel Stuart, said his island is committed to the efficient functioning of LIAT and that his administration would make sure that opportunities for wastage were minismised and that the airline remained viable.

“And, it can only remain viable if it is financed, and Barbados, therefore, has had no difficulty in committing itself to that course of action. So, as the largest shareholder at the present time we felt that it was our duty to live up to our regional obligations and we are doing just that,” he added.

“LIAT, over the last 56 years has contributed in no small way to the deepening of the regional integration movement, making regional integration not an abstraction but a lived experience for the people of the Caribbean.

“And, since Barbados has always been in the forefront of promoting regional integration, of course we have a natural attachment to LIAT and its success,” Stuart said.

Recently appointed chief executive officer, Captain Ian Brunton, said a decision had been taken to reduce the “number of airplanes that we are going to immediately purchase to five” resulting in a savings of millions of dollars.

“We are definitely getting four starting somewhere between May or June 2013 but we are looking to change the entire fleet and have 12 new airplanes by the end of 2014,” he said, adding that the company has negotiated a commercial loan “that will be very favourable because of the significant developmental effort that LIAT makes in the region” in order to carry out its expansion plans.

LIAT flies to 21 destinations in the region and has 1,000 flights weekly.

http://www.antiguaobserver.com/?p=85728

andrefranca

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm surprised to see that at least on this matter, some caribbean nations are getin' together! this is the chance to LI recovers itself, now more than ever no time for silly mistakes!

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 112):
“And, since Barbados has always been in the forefront of promoting regional integration, of course we have a natural attachment to LIAT and its success,” Stuart said.

OHHHH REALLY? Are your immigration officers at BGI aware of this Mr. Stuart? haaaammmm waaaait... eehmmm better stay quiet otherwhise they'll fingerape me! LOL  

turk223

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 am

Not a very profound addition to the forum, but just gotrback from a trip back home and got to fly Caribbean's ATR POS-BGI-POS; really impressed with the whole thing from the service at check-in, on-board, and the punctuality! However, I can't imagine a drinks serrvice would be a bad idea... Caribbean is a very different animal from the BWIA I remember!

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:23 am

Quoting turk223 (Reply 114):
Not a very profound addition to the forum, but just gotrback from a trip back home and got to fly Caribbean's ATR POS-BGI-POS; really impressed with the whole thing from the service at check-in, on-board, and the punctuality! However, I can't imagine a drinks serrvice would be a bad idea... Caribbean is a very different animal from the BWIA I remember!

Glad to hear you had a good experience. Nowadays, it's a hit and miss with their service. Sometimes they are on point and other times they leave a lot to be desired; all symptoms of almost non-existent executive team. But kudos to CAL for making your trip an enjoyable one.

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 111):
Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 112):
LIAT given green light to purchase new aircraft

Appreciate the articles LFT! I'm glad to see a territory realizing the importance of LI to its economy and tangibly contributing to its survival. So by May/June 2013 they sould have 4 new ATRs or is it when they plane to start receiving them? Either way, I would imagine flight crews being removed from the roster as we speak to start initial training on the ATRs.

A388

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Hello All,

First of all, Happy New Year. May we all have a prosperous 2013!!! Due to fatherhood, I'm not going through the forum that much anymore but here are my latest photos added to the database (some of them have been on the site for some time now though):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Cheers,

A388

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Heres a trip report Just posted today About St Kitts and Nevis, Its an interesting read, hope you guys enjoy:

Caribbean Bliss. Exploring St.Kitts & Nevis (by Widebodyroga Jan 2 2013 in Trip Reports)

And heres mine from December for anyone who hasn't read it yet, No Part 2 will be posted Unfortunately:

Montserrat's Festival 50 Part 1: On BA And SVG Air (by 817Dreamliiner Dec 20 2012 in Trip Reports)

Quoting A388 (Reply 116):

Great Photos again A388

yellowtail

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 111):

You think If I got the Gov't of Belize to kick in $3million to LIAT that I could get them to fly one of those (soon coming) ATRs over here  
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

QF108

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 am

Completely off any of the above related topics but would somebody kindly out there provide a list of the current Air Sunshine aircraft registrations please.
Many thanks
Mark
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

andrefranca

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Hey guys I'm off for a while, I'm in central america on vacations! will try to do some "mini trip reports" if possible! happy 2013!

Inbound

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:49 pm

CAL is expected to operate its first flight to LGW on Jan 8th using its own equipment and crew.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

817Dreamliiner

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 120):
Hey guys I'm off for a while, I'm in central america on vacations! will try to do some "mini trip reports" if possible! happy 2013!

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Quoting inbound (Reply 121):
CAL is expected to operate its first flight to LGW on Jan 8th using its own equipment and crew.

Its about time....

yellowtail

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Seems like UA is dropping PAP and CUR all together.

A388

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:16 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 123):
Seems like UA is dropping PAP and CUR all together.

CUR seasonal service just started.

A388

A388

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Just checked the system and UA will fly to CUR until mid August of this year (as they always do).

A388

yellowtail

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 125):

Just checked the system and UA will fly to CUR until mid August of this year (as they always do).

Its is another thread.....it is being discountined with the next OAG update.

From a poster in the "UA discontinues..." thread
In addition United will discontinue service to 3 markets entirely

o Port-au-Prince, Haiti
o Willemstad, Curacao
o Del Rio, Texas.

As the internal notification regarding all these route discontinuation stated - these routes have been unprofitable, and a big focus is on placing aircraft in markets that provide the best financial performance.

[Edited 2013-01-07 06:04:35]

yellowtail

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:06 pm

This will just leave AA as the sole legacy carrier in CUR right?

A388

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 126):
Its is another thread.....it is being discountined with the next OAG update.

From a poster in the "UA discontinues..." thread
In addition United will discontinue service to 3 markets entirely

o Port-au-Prince, Haiti
o Willemstad, Curacao
o Del Rio, Texas.

As the internal notification regarding all these route discontinuation stated - these routes have been unprofitable, and a big focus is on placing aircraft in markets that provide the best financial performance.

I just checked it again and yes, the route will be cancelled starting April (in any case not immediately).

A388

yellowtail

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 128):
I just checked it again and yes, the route will be cancelled starting April (in any case not immediately).

I just don't understand how UA could not get this to work...didn't they also pull AUA?

A388

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 129):
Quoting A388 (Reply 128):

I just don't understand how UA could not get this to work...didn't they also pull AUA?

That is a good question, AUA is still operated daily and on saturdays UA has about 6 flights to AUA during high season.

A388

A388

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Hello guys,

In below link you will see my latest aircraft photo in the database:

View Large View Medium

The 747 is still huge when standing close to it!!!

Cheers,

A388

andrefranca

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 129):

Before I get stabed lol, let me state that I love the islands, I've been to both more than 2 times each, but heeeemmmm IMHO, once again IMHO, AUA may be a little bit expensiver (I personally found accommodation in AUA cheaper) but it's small and you can walk nearly everywhere, at least in town and beaches, and the beaches are one besides the other, you can even walk to the airport depending on where you hotel is... in CUR which can be nicer than AUA, you need a car and time to move here and there, and if you don't know the island? GPS? We'd need to listen from UA hub lol....

Cheers from Costa Rica, !!!!!Pura vida!!!!!

caribbean484

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 pm

A Happy New year to all our members

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 126):

I can't believe they cannot make PAP work out of NYC even once per week? CUR also? The Haitian diaspora out NYC is second to South Florida, but again it's really a surprise they cannot get the yields from EWR.

Yeah I saw from this week they will deploy the 767 to their regular service, hopefully they will realize better efficiencies.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 122):

Nice trip report.

Quoting A388 (Reply 131):
Quoting A388 (Reply 116):

Nice pics once again A388.
All ah we is one family

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 133):
I can't believe they cannot make PAP work out of NYC even once per week? CUR also? The Haitian Diaspora out NYC is second to South Florida, but again it's really a surprise they cannot get the yields from EWR.

Agree. NYC-PAP isn't for RJs but surely UA could get a much better revenue of an older B737 on a EWR-PAP route than anywhere domestic.

Well, we might see CM PAP and CUR flights bearing UA code-share soon, if not right-now.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

guyanam

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 134):

I thought that EWR PAP would work because of the feed out of Boston. That is the third largest Haitian community behind So FL and NY/NJ.

Maybe Haitians remain wedded to AA.

caribbean484

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 134):
Agree. NYC-PAP isn't for RJs but surely UA could get a much better revenue of an older B737 on a EWR-PAP route than anywhere domestic.
Quoting guyanam (Reply 135):
I thought that EWR PAP would work because of the feed out of Boston. That is the third largest Haitian community behind So FL and NY/NJ.

Well we all thought wrong apparently, because UA seemingly cannot maintain PAP flights out of EWR/NYC.? I was a little wrong in that NYC (which will have to include NJ) has the largest Haitian Diaspora accounted by INS, the data is NYC, So Fl, BOS then if you account for all of the surrounding areas in North East, that is NYC/EWR/PHL/D.C. its a rather large share. Then we have to account for the possible connections in Toronto as EWR is a Star Alliance hub.

So in all this I am still surprised that they are not able to capture a good share and maintain high yields on this market.
All ah we is one family

guyanam

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 136):

Well Haitians might be very loyal to the AA brand so those from BOS might prefer connecting thru MIA instead of EWR. Most Haitians in the NY area live in Brklyn,Queens and Long Island so JFK is preferred. Its probable that the lopcal NJ and Rockland market wasnt large enough and maybe the NGOs have contracts with AA.

Interesting that DL (another new carrier) seems to be holding on for the time being.

westindian425

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 137):
Well Haitians might be very loyal to the AA brand so those from BOS might prefer connecting thru MIA instead of EWR. Most Haitians in the NY area live in Brklyn,Queens and Long Island so JFK is preferred. Its probable that the lopcal NJ and Rockland market wasnt large enough and maybe the NGOs have contracts with AA.

Interesting that DL (another new carrier) seems to be holding on for the time being.

I'm actually surprised that UA is the only airline that really hasn't done much with JFK outside of the LAX/SFO PS flights. Every other major with hubs in the NYC metro area have significant service in all three airports. That being said, Kennedy is slot-controlled.

Happy New Year to everyone. I know I'm scarce these days...lol
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

BW424
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 am

Congrats to BW at finally getting their B763s up and running on the LGW route. I'm told that ETOPS 180 was given. The BW904/5 flight was a proving flight or a rev....As 484 said, hopefully better efficiences are realized in their operations over the next several months. BW still has a long way to go to rebuild what they had in mid Q2 2010, but at least this is one less headache the airline has to put up with (sort of).

Been hearing that the 763 will be deployed on BW 480/1 POS-FLL-POS....don't know how true that is and I'm assuming that if it is true, its all for utilization and crew training factors and not capacity.......

817Dreamliiner

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am

Its now official, Liat orders 3 ATR 42-600s, check the delivery date! :O

http://www.atraircraft.com/newsroom/...ress-releases-details-1204-en.html

Quote:
ATR and the Caribbean carrier Leeward Islands Air Transport Services (LIAT) today announced the signature of an agreement for the purchase of a total of three 48-seats ATR 42-600s. The deal also includes options for two 68-seat ATR 72-600, and is valued at over US$ 100 million. LIAT will take delivery of their very first ATR 42-600 in June 2013.

A388

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:29 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 140):

Great news 817Dreamliiner and looking forward to seeing their brandnew ATR42-600 in CUR!!! Please let me know when the first flight to CUR is!!!

A388

andrefranca

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 pm

wow that soon!  

caribbean484

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:40 am

Ramiz: It’s Not True That DAE Has Canceled All Its Flights To St. Maarten And Bonaire
"Persistent reports that Dutch Antilles Express (DAE) has cancelled all its flights to Sint Maarten and Bonaire during the day yesterday, are absolutely not true, according to CEO of the aviation company Nelson Ramiz."
http://www.curacaochronicle.com/loca...flights-to-st-maarten-and-bonaire/
All ah we is one family

andrefranca

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 143):

Dae always seemed strange to me, they're often on the news somehow...

well "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

A388

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 144):
Dae always seemed strange to me, they're often on the news somehow...

You forget to add that DAE is more in the news... LATELY (meaning not always). Caribbean-based airlines always have their periods where they make the news more often than usual. DAE in that regard is no different than Caribbean Airlines, Air Jamaica, Insel Air or LIAT. They all have there spot lights at times.

A388

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Could be as many as 6 in 2013 with one per month from June. Anyone remembers what delivery route the CAL's ATR's took? It was mentioned here on a thread sometime ago but I can't find it.

A388

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 146):
Anyone remembers what delivery route the CAL's ATR's took? It was mentioned here on a thread sometime ago but I can't find it.

Probably it will be routed via Africa (Azores) to South America (Recife, Brazil) and onwards to the Caribbean (LIAT). The wind direction also plays a role because the winds can favour a North American routing as well. It all comes down to which routing has the least fuel consumption.

A388

jm02

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Fly Jamaica is ready to fly

Excerpt from the Jamaica Gleaner: After 14 months of working assiduously to meet rigorous regulatory aviation requirements, Fly Jamaica Airways will officially take to the skies on Friday, January 25, with its inaugural flight scheduled to depart for the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York. Fly Jamaica Airways will operate four flights weekly from Kingston and services will include two checked bags, free meals on all flights and service in all cabins.

Chief Operating Officer Captain Lloyd Tai revealed plans to to acquire an additional aircraft by year-end to bring its fleet to two. http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20130118/news/news1.html

As is the case in the Caribbean, there has been little or no investigative journalism. This might as well be a media announcement. Two weeks before the first flights and the airline's website is not up; in-fact if you type in http://ww.fly-jamaica.com you will be brought to Air Guyana website, with pictures of a Cessna Caravan and 172.

With only 4 flights a week, its hard to see how they will be making any money. Unlike RedJet which generated massive public interest, Fly Jamaica has only 7000 likes, which is hardly a groundswell of enthusiasm. I also expect that the Guyanese will be quite circumspect about yet another company with only a single Aircraft.

817Dreamliiner

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Quoting JM02 (Reply 148):
Excerpt from the Jamaica Gleaner: After 14 months of working assiduously to meet rigorous regulatory aviation requirements, Fly Jamaica Airways will officially take to the skies on Friday, January 25, with its inaugural flight scheduled to depart for the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

Well, its about time... though that date is a bit close dont you think?

Chief Operating Officer Captain Lloyd Tai revealed plans to to acquire an additional aircraft by year-end to bring its fleet to two. http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20130118/news/news1.html

Only to two?????

Two weeks before the first flights and the airline's website is not up; in-fact if you type in http://ww.fly-jamaica.com you will be brought to Air Guyana website, with pictures of a Cessna Caravan and 172.

Hmmm and they are gonna get bookings beofre the 25th how?? Are they doing it the old fashioned way? As some of my friends would say: Not a Good look....

With only 4 flights a week, its hard to see how they will be making any money. Unlike RedJet which generated massive public interest, Fly Jamaica has only 7000 likes, which is hardly a groundswell of enthusiasm. I also expect that the Guyanese will be quite circumspect about yet another company with only a single Aircraft.

Hmmm we'll see how long they last....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos