Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Liverpoola380
Topic Author

JAL To Serve KFC On US And European Routes

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...-serve-KFC-chicken-passengers.html

Well this is an interesting move and I cant help but feel it could be tastier than most airline meals served.

As the article states I wonder why it has took so long!

vhtje

RE: JAL To Serve KFC On US And European Routes

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am

Yuck. I'd rather sushi, thanks.

SYDSpotter

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Serving fast food kinda of cheapens the experience in my view, on a LCC I can understand but on a full service carrier? Does first and business class get the 'upsize' meal ?  

It will also get awfully messy onboard. The cleaners aren't going to enjoy the crumbs and the greasy oil stains everywhere and its not going to be pleasant sitting in an enclosed cabin with that fried chicken/fast food smell lingering in the air.   

usdcaguy

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Why is the thought of KFC at 30,000 feet so depressing? I would much rather have a bucket of seaweed salad than a bucket of wings. Just think of the poor jet-lagged passengers dumping that junk on their tummies. I see a long wait for the lavs... Major fail.

usairways85

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 pm

I don't know about Japan but in China KFC has become extremely popular. Didn't UA serve McDonalds for some time?

HiJazzey

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Reheated fried chicken ...ugh

According to the LA times (I don't read the Daily Mail, thank you), they'll serve this as the second meal. I hope that means you at least still have a decent normal meal first.

SKAirbus

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 pm

KFC is what you eat when you are incredibly drunk and need food before heading home on a night out, not a "light" meal to keep you going on a 12 hour flight.

What a ridiculous move and how irresponsible of the airline to serve food which such high fat content. Even though America is statistically the world's most overweight country, you don't need to suck up to that stereotype. I hope they have a Japanese meal option!

AeroWesty

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 pm

LOL, did anyone read the linked article? KFC is being served for just three months. The restaurant's fare is particularly trendy in Japan during the holidays.

Still, I don't know how crispy it will be after being reheated in a steam oven.

HiJazzey

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):

They'll most likely be dry and rubbery

United1

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 4):
Didn't UA serve McDonalds for some time?

Not like this though...UA allowed you to request a happy meal for your kids back in the late 90's. KFC for all is a whole different ballgame....

sw733

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 2):
Does first and business class get the 'upsize' meal ?

They will get an extra side of mashed potatoes.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:55 pm

If KFC is doing a good job they will adapt the recipe to include a reheating, it could work fairly well. Not of course if you don't like KFC. Low carbers/diabetics can discard most of the skin, and still get a decent sized portion.

longhauler

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:07 pm

If one looks at the history of airline meals, it pretty well all started with fried chicken. It stays moist when reheated, and is accepted by most people.

brilondon

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):
LOL, did anyone read the linked article? KFC is being served for just three months. The restaurant's fare is particularly trendy in Japan during the holidays.

It won't be crispy unless they are putting deep fryers on board the aircraft, which I seriously doubt. It could be worse, they could be the catering as usual. Airline food sucks in every way possible. Even in First Class, the food is not the greatest. I rather eat in the restaurants at the airport before I fly. Than I can pick and choose whether I even have a meal on the plane. I get the flights that are like days long, but I would then bring a snack on board the aircraft. Most of the flights I am on only last up to about 8 hours and I can usually last that long ave the with out eating, not sure why you have the need to eat on an aircraft. The food is tasteless and no matter how much they try to dress it up, it still sucks.

IrishAyes

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 pm

This is unbelievably sad, IMO. Asian carriers are supposed to be setting the benchmark for global airlines. KFC is hardly "real" food. JAL just lost a ton of respect in my book.

sr117

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:51 pm

This isn't some sort of crazy wily move actually... This is part of a bigger campaign JAL has set up to serve food from popular fast food restaurants in Japan on board. Judging by the fact that this is not their first "restaurant" featured (It's actually the seventh) I'd venture to guess it's quite popular.

http://gigazine.net/news/20121128-jal-kfc-air/ That's in case you're wondering how it will work, I say it looks just fine and better than those "posh" wraps everyone seems to get as a second meal as transatlantic flights, even ANA has served a very sad looking burrito as a second meal on transpacific flights.

And for anyone with your panties in a knot about this, they'll also bring back the Yoshinoya meals for a limited time on the SAN-NRT and LAX-NRT flights so you have something to be aghast about on your westbound Pacific crossings as well  .

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201203/002050.html The pic is from the previous Yoshinoya campaign but they'll be back for the SAN and LAX outbound flights (according to JALPak's blog).

I wish they'd bring back the Air Mos Burger.. yes, in the past they actually had Mosburger on board ! http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/201205/002129.html

Stitch

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 2):
Does first and business class get the 'upsize' meal?   

Business Class gets mashed potatoes in addition to cole slaw.

First Class also gets mashed potatoes, but the bread is replaced with biscuits.

ORDJOE

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Quoting SR117 (Reply 15):
I wish they'd bring back the Air Mos Burger.. yes, in the past they actually had Mosburger on board !

Oh that would be amazing, something Japanese, quick and not that expensive.

My thoughts, airline food is already extremely unhealthy for the most part, so I do not think we took that big of a step backward in that regard.

From my experience fried food does not reheat very well, but they might have a way around that via recipe and prep method.

I always thought in Asia that KFC while KFC might not be "upscale" in the strictest sense, it is much more accepted and popular than in the US. In the US it is viewed as more drunk food or you just want something in a hurry.
Sort of off topic, but I will say down in Grenada there is 1 KFC and it is actually quite good, probably has to do with the chicken being very local and fresh.
I just hope this is not being served in the F or J cabins.

jwhite9185

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Didn't UA serve McDonalds for some time?

Yep, remember having a cheeseburger and fries on the way home from SFO back in 1995.

trex8

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 pm

In F it will be served on china plates, J on plastic and Y in a paper box! And oh, F and J will get choice of dark or white meat, original or extra crispy!

Stitch

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:01 pm

And for anyone with your panties in a knot about this, they'll also bring back the Yoshinoya meals for a limited time on the SAN-NRT and LAX-NRT flights so you have something to be aghast about on your westbound Pacific crossings as well.

Well with Yoshinoya Beef Bowls all over LA and SAN, they were probably catering to the US crowd there, as well.  
I wish they'd bring back the Air Mos Burger.. yes, in the past they actually had Mosburger on board !

Now for a MOS Burger, I'd almost switch from NH to JL.   

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 6):
KFC is what you eat when you are incredibly drunk and need food before heading home on a night out, not a "light" meal to keep you going on a 12 hour flight.

Except if you live in Norway where KFC hasn't arrived, it's a long drive to Copenhagen where I think they still have three locations.

airbazar

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm

I don't know about Japan but in China KFC has become extremely popular. Didn't UA serve McDonalds for some time?

One of my earliest trips to China was a visit to Shangai in 1994 and KFC was the biggest and most popular restaurant in town. It was ridiculous. And it's not just China. For some reason KFC and Pizza Hut are hugely popular all over Asia. Personally I don't find their basic fried chicken too bad, but it's not something I'd want to eat on a plane.

bluesky73

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Brings a new meaning to Kentucky flied chicken and definitely fast food at 500mph 

I like occasional KFC, But think cabin will smell with all that take away food.

Maybe Starbucks or Costa next?

kordcj

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 pm

If they served Mos Burger AND CC Lemon, I'd ditch Star Alliance to Japan in an instant. I'd actually look forward to meal time just for that CC Lemon   

SCQ83

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 23):
Brings a new meaning to Kentucky flied chicken and definitely fast food at 500mph

I like occasional KFC, But think cabin will smell with all that take away food.

Maybe Starbucks or Costa next?

If I am not wrong, certain US carriers (United one of them) already serve Starbucks' products.

As for the KFC thing, I feel it is quite unfortunate from JAL's side when many Western corporations and governments are trying to discourage the consumption of junk-food.

Also how many choices of meals do JAL have in Economy? I guess that being a Japanese carrier, they will have a sushi/fish dish by default... if the other is KFC's junkfood... that might be quite of a trouble for a Western passenger... I like sushi but I need some more substantial in a long flight.

Not to talk about the smell, there are not many things as uncomfortable in a plane as the passenger who just grabs his or her take-away McDonald's or BK menu in flight... the smell is nauseating... I can't imagine how it will be with 100 people eating fried chicken.

IrishAyes

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Quoting ordjoe (Reply 17):
My thoughts, airline food is already extremely unhealthy for the most part, so I do not think we took that big of a step backward in that regard.

It's actually not. ANA listed calorie counts on their YCL meals (avail online) and there are definitely options ranging in the 500-700 kcal frame which I find perfectly acceptable.

Even on carriers like AA, UA and DL, the main course items generally consist of a protein or a starch with vegetables and some carb. That and the starter (lettuce) are fine.

It's when you add on the supplements like dessert (brownie) or cheese, butter, dinner roll, etc. does it become unhealthy.

In the premium cabins, there is often always a healthy alternative such as white fish (instead of steak) and cereal/fruit and yogurt instead of the cheese omelet.

It's only when you start adding in multiple rounds of drinks and the self-serve Sundaes does it become bad.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 25):
If I am not wrong, certain US carriers (United one of them) already serve Starbucks' products.

UA hasn't served sbux coffee for over a year now. Ever since the merger, UA/CO has used Freshbrew.

As for the KFC thing, I feel it is quite unfortunate from JAL's side when many Western corporations and governments are trying to discourage the consumption of junk-food.

Trivia: the first coronary ICU in Tokyo was established only after McDonald's set up shop in Japan  
Not to talk about the smell, there are not many things as uncomfortable in a plane as the passenger who just grabs his or her take-away McDonald's or BK menu in flight... the smell is nauseating... I can't imagine how it will be with 100 people eating fried chicken.

I completely agree. I mean, I'm obviously not 100% innocent. I've been in some dogsh*t airports that only serve junk food and when you're on the go and hungry, sometimes a BK whopper is your only source of sustenance. I do try and avoid this whenever possible, and if time allows, I try to consume at the gate area, before takeoff, or in the lounge as to not bother other people.

FWAERJ

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 26):

UA hasn't served sbux coffee for over a year now. Ever since the merger, UA/CO has used Freshbrew.

Even without UA, AS serves Starbucks, and DL serves Seattle's Best (a Starbucks brand).

danielkandi

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:51 pm

They better get ready and buckle up for some lawsuits...... If I can go to a DJ job, and within half an hour of eating their chicken, vomit all over a fan, then I dread to think what will happen to LONG overdue throwouts. Or too long since heated-products. Honestly. They gave me my biggest ever foodpoisoning and nearly caused me to cancel the rest of my NZ/AUS tour. I love KFC. But I only get it if they make it fresh infront of me. As I dont dare it otherwise. Too dangerous!

Someone said Mos burger above. I would say, find out how to incorporate some of the TGI fridays in some of their menu's and I would consider their flights lol.

srbmod

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 12):
It stays moist when reheated, and is accepted by most people.

And like pizza, not bad cold either.......

Definitely an interesting move to say the least. Reminds of how many AirTran flights out of ATL used to smell of Popeye's Chicken as there was an outlet on Concourse C that was quite popular (mainly because the food choices on C were pretty limited (The Popeye's is in the process of being replaced with a combination Chick-Fil-A and The Varsity [A local fast food institution.].).

UNITED91

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 am

Reminds me of the movie Soul Plane where everyone in coach gets Popeyes.

QantasAirways

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:59 am

Quoting kordcj (Reply 24):
China Airlines (Taiwanese flag carrier) serves Mos Burger onboard flights to Australia (and maybe other destinations). I've had it a few times now. Delicious!

[Edited 2012-11-29 16:59:50]

nitepilot79

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:06 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 29):
Definitely an interesting move to say the least. Reminds of how many AirTran flights out of ATL used to smell of Popeye's Chicken as there was an outlet on Concourse C that was quite popular (mainly because the food choices on C were pretty limited (The Popeye's is in the process of being replaced with a combination Chick-Fil-A and The Varsity [A local fast food institution.].).

"Bojangles" has better deep-fried goodness than ANY other franchised chicken joint the SE USA has to offer. Bet!  

trent1000

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 am

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 5):
they'll serve this as the second meal.

Since when has 2 chicken nuggets, a mini roll & spoon of coleslaw been classified as a "meal"??
It hardly rates as a snack. It would barely constitute something to feed a child...

trex8

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 am

KFC chicken isn't junk food. "regular" chicken served for airline meals is junk food! If you eat fried high fat foods whether served by a fast food chain or at a fancy sit down restaurant frequently then it is bad for your health.

sr117

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 am

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 33):
Since when has 2 chicken nuggets, a mini roll & spoon of coleslaw been classified as a "meal"??
It hardly rates as a snack. It would barely constitute something to feed a child...

Look at what the competition has been serving as a second meal according to these reports:

ANA Inspiration Of Japan "Y" NRT-FRA (by planereality Jul 20 2010 in Trip Reports)

ANA "Inspiration Of Japan" In Y, JFK-NRT (by spacecadet Jun 22 2010 in Trip Reports)

I'll take my fried chicken sandwich thankyou   BTW.. it's not 2 chicken nuggets, it's a drumstick and a boneless piece of chicken breast for the sandwich.

Quoting ordjoe (Reply 17):
I always thought in Asia that KFC while KFC might not be "upscale" in the strictest sense, it is much more accepted and popular than in the US. In the US it is viewed as more drunk food or you just want something in a hurry.

I've had KFC and McDonalds in Japan and they're not bad at all, I'm thinking their quality also depends a lot on local produce and regulations..

Quoting Stitch (Reply 20):
Well with Yoshinoya Beef Bowls all over LA and SAN, they were probably catering to the US crowd there, as well.  

Yes exactly, I'm guessing the overabundance of Yoshinoya outlets in SoCal makes this a no brainer. Still, I'm impressed at JAL's ability to tailor menus to local availability. Very neat if you ask me.

Ricardo

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:51 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 32):
"Bojangles" has better deep-fried goodness than ANY other franchised chicken joint the SE USA has to offer. Bet!

GROSS!!!! Bonjangles is so nasty!

Quoting SR117 (Reply 35):
I've had KFC and McDonalds in Japan and they're not bad at all, I'm thinking their quality also depends a lot on local produce and regulations..

That is a fact. I've found fast food in certain countries to be much more tasty than in the US. Namely McDonald's.

UA735WL

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:25 am

Interesting move on the part of JL. Can't say that I'd be too excited about it...but then again, most airline offerings in Y don't excite me. I do wonder, however, if the high calorie and fat content of fried chicken has a greater negative effect on an airborne versus a consumer on the ground, mainly due to the inability of the airborne consumer being unable to do any sort of meaningful physical activity immediately afterwords-would make an interesting study....

Quoting danielkandi (Reply 28):
I love KFC. But I only get it if they make it fresh infront of me. As I dont dare it otherwise. Too dangerous!

I think that KFC could actually be SAFER than most other airline food. KFC is a huge multinational restaurant chain, serving millions each day. One would think that they would be held a better safety standard than a smaller (albeit multinational as well) airline catering company that serves far fewer meals per day. Point is, (percentage wise), l'd bet that you are far more likely to get sick from "normal" airline food than from a meal catered by KFC. I could be wrong, though.....it would be interesting to see a comparison of frequency of food poisoning in fast food restaurants versus airline catering.

[Edited 2012-11-29 19:46:23]

[Edited 2012-11-29 19:49:08]

allrite

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 am

Apparently KFC is a popular Xmas season dish in Japan, but it is the last thing I want to eat on a flight (*nightmares of working late night tech support*).

I wonder if they will serve it up blended for the children.   

Quoting UA735WL (Reply 37):
I think that KFC could actually be SAFER than most other airline food.

Not according to this court case.

Jet-lagged

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:39 am

What a terrible idea.

Unhealthy junk. Not Japanese. Not an original creation. Messy. Cheapens their image.

What are they thinking??

usflyer msp

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 am

I am not a fan of this move. I don;t eat KFC on the ground much less in the air. I do like (Popeye's occasionally). Asian KFC is better than US KFC but that is not really saying much.

jtl11968

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 am

All the negative comments are coming from non-Japanese and Chinese folks. KFC in China and Japan is incredibly popular. More so than McDonald's. What is wrong with a company attempting to offer a unique meal option? IMO, it's better than overcooked pasta or rubbery mystery-meat on the US carriers.

[Edited 2012-11-29 19:49:40]

[Edited 2012-11-29 19:50:26]

FI642

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:51 am

Quoting UNITED91 (Reply 30):

Reminds me of the movie Soul Plane where everyone in coach gets Popeyes.

Which is FAR superior. . . . and I'd rather have sushi!

UA735WL

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting jtl11968 (Reply 41):
All the negative comments are coming from non-Japanese and Chinese folks. KFC in China and Japan is incredibly popular. More so than McDonald's. What is wrong with a company attempting to offer a unique meal option? IMO, it's better than "pasta or chicken".

Perhaps this is because JL plans to serve the KFC on US and European routes...KFC is not *quite* as popular in those places as in Asia. Maybe KFC would be better suited to domestic Japanese routes...

irishpower

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:19 am

I can't believe this. With obesity and diabetes rates on the rise, this is just what we need.

Awful decision!

gardermoen

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:48 am

"Hello Japan Airlines, 1981 called, they want their promotional gimmicks back..."

This is the sort of thing I would expect from one of those new Japanese low costs, like Peach, Air Asia Japan or Jetstar Japan, not a full frills airline like Japan Airlines!

PHX787

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I just wanna chime in here: have you guys ever tried Japanese KFC? It is SOOOOO amazingly delicious, in comparison to the original American KFC.   

I'm pretty sure Japanese fliers are thrilled right now.

nitepilot79

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:22 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 36):
Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 36):

I guess quality control has slipped. They used to be the best. Too bad.

Jet-lagged

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:10 am

Quoting jtl11968 (Reply 41):
KFC in China and Japan is incredibly popular. More so than McDonald's.

In China I think yes. At least, there are more KFCs than McDonald's. In fact, something like 30% of YUM's business comes from China now.

KFCs are not very popular in Japan. Japan supports approximately 3,700 McDonald's. KFCs are few and far between.

Japan and China are different countries with different cultures.

ikramerica

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:07 am

Popeyes spicy strips please. Kicks KFC buttocks

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos