aerecosse

RE: Irish Aviation 15/12: The Christmas Thread

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 am

re EY increase .... was their always an arrival @14.25 into DUB or is this a new one? Been on the 7.30 arrival on a number of trips & used both morning & evening departures but wasn't aware of this one. Could we see EK & EY on the stands at the same time?

http://airlineroute.net/2012/12/14/ey-s13update3/
Flown: BA,BD,BY,AMM,DA,MON,LC,BE,EI,FR,EZY,NW,CO,US,HP,F9,AC,QF,AN,NZ,TN,GZ,MH,EK,EY,PG,IB,JK,FH,BV,LH,SA

shamrock321

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:32 am

The 1425 arrival has been around quite a while! By the time it arrives the EKms scheduled to have departed however.

shamrock321

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:32 am

The 1425 arrival has been around quite a while! By the time it arrives the EK scheduled to have departed however.

BestWestern

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 46):
the former BD lounge has been permanently closed,

Isnt the new Anna Livia lounge taking over both the DAA and the Bmi lounge?

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 41):
I believe the so called "green mile" is to remain

The green mile is located to the 'north'-ish of Terminal 1, whilst Terminal 2 is located to the 'south'-ish of terminal 1. The walk for passengers would be more than doubled, so i expect EI to move to a new home in terminal 2.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

eicvd

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting aerecosse (Reply 50):
was their always an arrival @14.25 into DUB or is this a new one?

I think the evening departure always arrived at that time.
COYBIB

Cipango

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 52):
The 1425 arrival has been around quite a while! By the time it arrives the EK scheduled to have departed however.

When the EK flight departs, EY lands usually directly after/before. They also use the same gate in Terminal 2 and do a simple gate swap.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

AmricanShamrok

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm

BA is now codesharing on the BE/LC Donegal-Dublin route allowing through-bookings from CFN to LHR and beyond...

shamrock604

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 56):
BA is now codesharing on the BE/LC Donegal-Dublin route allowing through-bookings from CFN to LHR and beyond...

So they are! Who'd have thunk it!

It's actually very good now that the smaller regional airports in Ireland such as KIR, NOC, WAT and CFN are now in the GDS systems through airline partners that do actually list their schedules in the GDS's.

This was not the case even 2 years ago!

irishair98

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 57):

the demand is there for the CFN - LHR path the amount of people in my area near CFN that are heading off to London to work is rediculous and many people in the area are looking for a direct flight to any of the london airports because theyre sick of connecting in dublin or driving to NOC , BFS , BHD , DUB or LDY and would much rather just doind a direct flight from CFN - LHR , LGW etc. but would a Saab 340 be able to do this journey
Dún Na Ngall Abú!

AmricanShamrok

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Back to the DUB terminal/pier issue for a minute - is this how things look at the moment? I assume charter flights are divided between the three T1 piers?

TERMINAL 1
Pier A
Aer Lingus Regional/Aer Arann
Air France/CityJet
Flybe/Loganair
Iberia Express
Lufthansa Regional/Eurowings

Pier B
AirBaltic
Air Canada
Air Moldova
Air Transat
British Airways
Lufthansa
SATA International
Scandinavian Airlines (SAS)
Swiss International Air Lines
S7 Airlines
Turkish Airlines

Pier D
Blue Air
Germanwings
Norwegian Air Shuttle
Ryanair
SmartWings

TERMINAL 2
Pier E
Aer Lingus
American Airlines
Delta Air Lines
Emirates
Etihad Airways
United Airlines
US Airways

shamrock604

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Quoting irishair98 (Reply 58):
but would a Saab 340 be able to do this journey

It would be able, yes, but it would be a bloody long journey in a prop. I'd nearly suggest a well timed connection in DUB would be faster!

irishair98

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 60):

to DUB from CFN would be a half hour. it would be around a 2 hour journey and would be much faster than DUB.
Dún Na Ngall Abú!

shamrock604

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:00 am

A few Corrections:

TERMINAL 1
Pier A
Aer Lingus Regional/Aer Arann
Air France/CityJet
Flybe/Loganair

Pier B
Aer Lingus
AirBaltic
Air Canada
Air Moldova
Air Transat
British Airways
Lufthansa
SATA International
Swiss International Air Lines
S7 Airlines
Turkish Airlines
Iberia Express
Lufthansa Regional/Eurowings
Blue Air
Germanwings
SmartWings

Pier D
Norwegian Air Shuttle
Scandinavian SAS
Ryanair

TERMINAL 2
Pier E
Aer Lingus
American Airlines
Delta Air Lines
Emirates
Etihad Airways
United Airlines
US Airways

AmricanShamrok

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 62):

Thanks for that. Why is SAS at Pier D? Would they not prefer to use the airbridges?

In ORK news, W6 will discontinue VNO, WRO and WMI just months after FR jumped on the bandwagon competing with them directly...where have we seen this before?!

I wonder will W6 consider routes at SNN...

shamrock604

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 63):
Thanks for that. Why is SAS at Pier D? Would they not prefer to use the airbridges?

Good question. I can only guess it's because they often have 3 aircraft on the ground at the same time, that there were concerns that Pier B may be full at that time (which it can be during the summer months at that time slot)

In ORK news, W6 will discontinue VNO, WRO and WMI just months after FR jumped on the bandwagon competing with them directly...where have we seen this before?!

I wonder will W6 consider routes at SNN...

I doubt it. I'd imagine they are aware FR will try to pen some deal with the new SAA.

EIDL

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:52 pm

This was obviously planned for a while, because the check-in desk (all one of them) in CFN has had BA logos on it alongside the Flybe ones since January at least.

CFN has never really had many other services than DUB and one of GLA/PIK; I'm sure there is some demand for BHX, MAN and a London flight due to historic emigration patterns as well as current; but whether people would pay enough is another question entirely.

shamrock604

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 65):
CFN has never really had many other services than DUB and one of GLA/stwick (PIK / EGPK), United Kingdom">PIK; I'm sure there is some demand for BHX, MAN and a London flight due to historic emigration patterns as well as current; but whether people would pay enough is another question entirely.

That's exactly the crux of the matter. Costs on a prop spread over so few passengers are high, and that has to be compensated for by fares. Up against competing services from LDY and NOC on 737-800's, it may just be too difficult, despite obvious demand.

[Edited 2012-12-15 14:04:14]

tonymctigue

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Doesn't exactly come as a surpise to any of us. We all predicted this when FR announced they were going to serve these destinations from ORK. I am sure though that the new SAA will possibly target W6 as a possible new airline to serve some of these routes as they have been on ORK for a while and therefore were presumably doing pretty well there until FR butted in.

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 66):
That's exactly the crux of the matter. Costs on a prop spread over so few passengers are high, and that has to be compensated for by fares. Up against competing services from LDY and NOC on 737-800's, it may just be too difficult, despite obvious demand.

Not to mention that CFN is in the absolute middle of nowhere and is a complete nightmare to get to. It must be one of the last places in Ireland you would expect to find a commercial airport. It is a good 45 minute drive (and I quote from their Wikipedia page) 'in good weather' from Letterkenny. I can't imagine anyone from Letterkenny willing ro drive all they way out there to pay a premium fare to fly on a small turboprop when they can make the much easier trip to LDY for a cheaper fare on a jet aircraft.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

EIDL

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:08 am

Don't think anyone from Letterkenny ever uses CFN - LDY is much closer. Its effectively just used for the Rosses really. Hence there likely being demand to fill a 33 seater but not much bigger. Actually a Beech 1900 would probably be the right size for any other routes...

During the boom there was definitely the yield available from construction workers doing weekend commuting, many were flying to LDY/DUB/BHD/BFS and driving home, but nobody tried it then so I doubt it'll be tried now.

irishair98

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:22 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 67):

In all honesty it's 45 minutes In normal weather I take that route about once a week and Is always 40 minutes and the roads are getting done all the way to CFN and being extremely upgraded took the council feckin long enuf!

Quoting EIDL (Reply 68):

People weren't even trying to get flights to London during the boom but people are really looking for a direct route now. I know people from all over the west of Donegal willing to use CFN to dub and especially GLA as there not willing to pay 200 euro for petrol up and down to dublin and I was down just 2 weeks ago and was waiting for relative to Deboard and the loads were pretty good for DUB - CFN on a random Thursday and people are reaching out to MP's TD's loganair and the government to get a route from CFN to LON
Dún Na Ngall Abú!

dstc47

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 67):
(Wizz) were presumably doing pretty well there until FR butted in.

Not according to the letter from a Wizz official in yesterday's Irish Times.

Always struck me as strange that ORK had service to some Polish cities not served at all from DUB.

OA260

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 70):

Always struck me as strange that ORK had service to some Polish cities not served at all from DUB.

Indeed I always forgot about the Wizz Air services from ORK . Such random routes!

aidansnn

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:29 pm

In my view, the erosion of Wizzair services was inevitable following Ryanair's latest commencement of routes, I just didn't expect it to be so soon. How long before the other three routes meet their demise?

Really - which cities are these?

Just found the letter you were referring to - very interesting, and unusual that a company manager would write a letter in this fashion.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...tters/2012/1215/1224327874181.html

Quoting OA260 (Reply 71):
Such random routes!

Don't really agree with you there. There has long been a strong demand for services from outside The Pale to eastern and central European cities due to large Polish and Lithuanian populations in the south and west. Admittedly however some, but not all, of these services "met low demand".

Aidan

OA260

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Quoting aidansnn (Reply 72):
Just found the letter you were referring to - very interesting, and unusual that a company manager would write a letter in this fashion.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/....html

Although quite good for him to take the time to put his side of the story which is most professional IMHO .

There has long been a strong demand for services from outside The Pale to eastern and central European cities due to large Polish and Lithuanian populations in the south and west.

But if we are to believe the content of the letter above these ex pats did not/could not support a route(s) which can often be the case. Often even a large ex pat community cant support regular direct flights. I still view them as random despite the diaspora you mention.

shamrock350

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Almost sounds like they didn't want people to think Ryanair had defeated them.

I would find his claim that Cork to Vilnius, Warsaw and Wroclaw have always underperformed more believable if they were new routes but Warsaw has been in operation since 2008, Wroclaw 2010 and Vilnius 2011. I don't buy that a route operating since 2008 has always underperformed yet managed to survive 4 years!

Vilnius as a newer route probably has struggled and hasn't had time to mature but Wroclaw and Warsaw seemed to do quite well for Wizzair or they would have gone long before now. Simply put, these routes have ended because Ryanair has come in with lower fares and Wizz can't compete but I'd never expect management to admit that.

It's a shame, Cork takes another step in becoming a green and blue airport only.

shamrock604

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 74):

Yeah, that's exactly how I read that letter too.

Just a "Ryanair didnt beat us, we're just being fiscally responsible" rant.

OA260

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Some welcome news for RE :

17DEC2012: Stobart to acquire another 40% of Aer Arann Regional

Aer Arann Regional (RE, Dublin International (DUB)) can get new investment by logistics provider Stobart Group after receiving approval from the UK competition authority for the proposed transaction.

http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/new...e-another-40-of-aer-arann-regional

EIBoston

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1217/aer-lingus-pensions-business.html

Classic line in the pension dispute.
"Asked whether staff had any chance of preserving their existing benefit expectations, he said Aer Lingus was a company with €990m in cash which they wanted to give to wealthy billionaires.

He said giving some of that to staff to plug the pension deficit would go a long way to resolving the issue."

This is going to get ugly.....

BestWestern

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 am

Do wealthy billionaires include the staff who own part of the airline?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

tonymctigue

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:10 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 78):

Not to mention the possibility other private pension funds that may have invested in Aer Lingus shares in which their beneficiaries have invested millions of their hard earned cash in the hope of a good retirement whom have seen their investments go downthe toilet and don't have an employer they can bully nor a union whom can do the bullying. Aer Lingus is not a semi state company anymore and the sooner this crowd get out of thie communist mentality the better off they and the company they work for in will be the long run.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

Eagleboy

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 78):

Ok...I'll bite......

staff have 15% of a company with 1bn in the bank......so that makes that 15% worth approx 150M......divide by almost 4000 (I think it is approx 3800 staff) you get 37K Euro per staff member................thats a bit short of the term 'billionaire'.......unless you count the CEO and CFO and Chairman in that catch all term? And lets not forget that quite a proportion of that 15% may well have been sold over the least year or two...(recession and all that)

*I realise that the company value is actually less than the current cash pile but wanted to help bestwestern out here......

OA260

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Congrats to DUB on this award.

Dublin Airport has won a major international award for its innovative use of social media.Dublin Airport’s Twitter account has been named Best Airport Twitter Feed in the Moodies, which are the world’s first airport-specific digital, mobile and social media awards.

More than 160 submissions were received for the awards, which recognise innovation and excellence in social media by airports, and airport retailers. The awards take their name from The Moodie Report, an international publisher and website operator devoted to the global travel retail and airport sectors.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...ernational_Social_Media_Award.aspx

I must admit I rarely follow them on Twitter unless there is a need to seek information due to disruptions etc... I have to say though they do offer some decent info and advice on it .

EIBoston

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 79):
Aer Lingus is not a semi state company anymore and the sooner this crowd get out of thie communist mentality the better off they and the company they work for in will be the long run.

I dont think get it at all. I am so sick of this attitude. The union days should be over...

Eagleboy

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Quoting EIBoston (Reply 82):

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 79):
Aer Lingus is not a semi state company anymore and the sooner this crowd get out of thie communist mentality the better off they and the company they work for in will be the long run.

I dont think get it at all. I am so sick of this attitude. The union days should be over...

I agree that EI is now a private comapny and so is beholden to deliver value for money and profits for its shareholders. I agree that EI cannot just decide to drop large amounts of cash into the pension fund...............

...but don't forget that EI since its privatisation has been continuing to make its staff to join and/or pay into this pension fund as part of their contract.

shamrock350

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Happy Christmas from Aer Lingus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1rjOhdjBw

Nice little video.

Shamrock350

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Just looking at the thread about Pegasus's order for A320NEOs, which now takes total orders to about 1,650. I don't know what EI's current plans are, but even at a very ambitious production rate (30 per month, 360 pa), that's four and a half years production, which means an airline ordering them now wouldn't get them much before 2020, although around 360 have been ordered by lessors.

They wouldn't want to hang around too much longer; most of them (the DEx batch) were built around 2004-2006, so they'll be around 14-16 years in service by then.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm

The Minister for Transport has just announced that the govt has decided not to accept FR's offer to buy its 25% stake in Aer Lingus.

Eagleboy

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Here's a link to that statement:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1218/var...offer-for-aer-lingus-business.html

Thats this takeover attempt scuppered....FR cannot get enough shareholders to agree even if the EU allow it to progress.

OA260

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Quoting EagleBoy (Reply 87):

Great news for Irish Aviation . It would be a disaster if it was allowed to happen.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 pm

FR will launch a seasonal weekly flight between NOC and AGP beginning 4th April. This is in addition to the ALC, BRS, EMA, FAO, GRO, LPA, ACE, LPL, LTN, STN, BGY and TFS routes already served by FR from there.

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/utility/news_details.aspx?id=312
http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryana...r-announces-new-knock-malaga-route

NOC-BVA and NOC-HHN will not return next summer.

[Edited 2012-12-18 13:51:34]

ei2ksea

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Im just back home in Limerick after my little jaunt over the past week: BOS-SNN (EI), DUB-LHR (BA) and LGW-BHD (BE). All the flights were very enjoyable. A very professional EI crew from BOS. I must also say the British Airways service, even on a short leg like DUB-LHR was truly excellent. Flybe surprised me a lot, the LGW experience was fast, trouble free and the service was very good on their Embraer 195. Again, as I always thnk when I fly the larger Embraers in the US with B6, I cannot help but wonder what opportunities an aircraft of that size could present for EI! Finally it was a true pleasure driving by DUB earlier today and seeing an EK B777, US B757, DL B757 amongst others on the tarmac. There was quite the buzz around the place!
Next Flight: EWR-SEA (AS), SEA-EWR (UA), EWR-SEA-EWR (UA)

OA260

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Quoting ei2ksea (Reply 90):
I must also say the British Airways service, even on a short leg like DUB-LHR was truly excellent.

Indeed over the last 4 weeks I have done numerous flights DUB-LHR in Club Europe and BHD-LHR in Y and the service has been great.

ClassicLover

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 91):
Indeed over the last 4 weeks I have done numerous flights DUB-LHR in Club Europe

Any ideas on what service you get on LHR-DUB on a 9pm departure in Club Europe?

The reason I ask is due to BA revenue management. I booked LHR-DUB for £69 for April (one way) and the one way Club Europe price was £321. However, when I manage my booking, I can upgrade the sector for another £69. I probably will anyway as my record in champagne consumption was 3 piccolos on a LGW-DUB flight in Club Europe :P ... Wobbly getting off, but satisfied   So what is the food service? Always had good meals on BA, but curious as to what they are offering at the moment in the evening time on such a short Club Europe flight.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 92):

I got this on a 6pm LHR-DUB . Was very nice especially the dessert.  http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/DSC01828.jpg

This is classed as dinner from 17:00 to 23:59 so you should get similar.

Eirules

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 92):
The reason I ask is due to BA revenue management. I booked LHR-DUB for £69 for April (one way) and the one way Club Europe price was £321. However, when I manage my booking, I can upgrade the sector for another £69

If you book BA DUB-LHR (or v/v) in economy and then upgrade it, then which class do you earn miles in?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 94):

Tier Points and miles would be CE as per upgraded fare Class.

Eagleboy

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 pm

FR will be very mad, first screen scrapping, now this.............. FR tickets are available on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...01307&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

tonymctigue

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:37 am

Quoting EagleBoy (Reply 96):
FR will be very mad, first screen scrapping, now this.............. FR tickets are available on ebay:

Can you even do this? I would have though FR would fleece you if your tried to change the name on the ticket.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Norwegian to serve HEL twice weekly from DUB, next Summer!

Helsinki – Dublin eff 12APR13 2 weekly
DY5824 HEL1700 – 1810DUB 73H 15
DY5825 DUB1840 – 2350HEL 73H 15

Every little helps!

shamrock350

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Aer Lingus are going 6 daily to BHX from June 1st with the introduction of 3 Aer Lingus Regional services in addition to the 3 mainline flights. Wonder where the spare capacity is coming from, the Aer Lingus Regional flight seems to overnight in Birmingham.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos