Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lxa333

RE: BA On The Kangaroo Route. What Next?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:38 pm

In terms of profitability, it would make sense for BA to pull out completely of Australia, regardless of prestige. Europeans carriers have let themselves down vs Middle Eastern/Asian-Oceanic air carriers with the exception of a few like LH/LX, a lot of business was lost to EK throughout these past few years. It is time to pull out completely I would say and rely solely on the eastern seaboard of the US for Long-Haul with those new aircraft. Those 777-300er's on a JFK/EWR redeye would kill competition as it is. Simply put EK/QF are too good for BA to compete on routes to that area of the world. Long-term plan would be to drop out of Oneworld and join *A IMO.
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

jfk777

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 45):
QF will not hesitate to withdraw from LHR if they can't make money there. They proved with SFO that prestige isn't enough to save a route these days, so I don't doubt that it would happen if it was the right thing to do

Qantas leaving SFO to concentrate at LAX is very different then leaving LHR. IF QF stopped flying to LHR they wouldn't replace it, they would be leaving London, the UK and probably anything west of Dubai. London is far more impaortant to Qantas and the Asutralian economy then Sydney is to BA and Virgin Atlantic. What I don't understand is why BA or Qantas don't fly Perth to LHR which is doable nonstop, its 15 or 16 hours but nonstop.

cloudyapple

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:06 pm

BA can copy QF and tie up with EK to serve SYD via DXB and open up all the ports to the east of Dubai on codeshares with EK!
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

boysteve

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:10 am

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 9):
The Empire is no more and The Queen is probably the last British monarch of Australia. BA flying or NOT would be consistent with cutting of royal ties.

What? BA flying to Oz and the potential cutting of such a service has nothing to do with 'royal ties'. yours was the most ridiculous post that I have ever read from a 'first class' member to this forum.

jfk777

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting cloudyapple (Reply 52):
BA can copy QF and tie up with EK to serve SYD via DXB and open up all the ports to the east of Dubai on codeshares with EK!

Why would BA want to do a deal with Emirates for China, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Malaysia and Thailand ? BA fills the 777 & 744 and makes $$$ to those destinations. Sydney for BA could be done with Malaysia or Qatar, EK is strictly a Qantas deal. Qatar offers UK passengers one stops over Doha to BA passengers from many non-LHR UK cities.

LX138

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Quoting lxa333 (Reply 50):
In terms of profitability, it would make sense for BA to pull out completely of Australia, regardless of prestige. Europeans carriers have let themselves down vs Middle Eastern/Asian-Oceanic air carriers with the exception of a few like LH/LX, a lot of business was lost to EK throughout these past few years. It is time to pull out completely I would say and rely solely on the eastern seaboard of the US for Long-Haul with those new aircraft. Those 777-300er's on a JFK/EWR redeye would kill competition as it is. Simply put EK/QF are too good for BA to compete on routes to that area of the world. Long-term plan would be to drop out of Oneworld and join *A IMO.

What do you mean? How have European carriers 'let themselves down'?? Obviously they are flying from a different part of the world than the ME carrries aren't they? LH/LX don't even fly to Aus either so not sure what you meant there.

And who should join star? Tell you what, DL should definitely join star too, it would be soooo much better for them.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

deconz

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 49):
My VS200 on Christmas Eve was full to HKG with barely anyone transiting on to SYD.

That's not a major surprise - with both legs overnight those SYD pax would arrive on Boxing Day. I'd suspect many of those who wished to travel "downunder" at that time of the year would like to arrive on or before Chrismas Day!!!

BCA2005

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Slightly related to this topic, it has been confirmed that with the termination of the JSA with QF, BA is moving Singapore and Sydney services to LHR Terminal 5. Are there any plans to move BKK too, as it will remain as the only longhaul route not operating from Terminal 5?

EK413

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 am

It would seem BA have had KUL on the radar since 2007 based on an article I've come across...

British Airways to discuss reinstating flights to Malaysia

Wednesday September 26, 2007

STOCKHOLM: Officials of Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) and British Airways (BA) will meet in a couple of months to continue discussions on BA reinstating flights to Malaysia.

MAHB managing director Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad, who met with BA CEO Willie Walsh at the 13th World Route Development Forum here, said: “There is certainly an interest to return but right now, they are looking at figures and forecasts to ensure that when they do operate, the service will be viable and sustainable for the long term.”

“No date (to commence flights) has been fixed as it depends on the viability of the operations and the availability of aircraft,” he said, adding that it was purely a business decision.

“Every time we talk, the picture becomes clearer. We appreciate their willingness to talk to us openly and to share their views on this matter,” he said.

BA was being cautious because it did not want to have to pull out again. “Once they come in, they want to stay,” Bashir said.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=141&page=31

Excuse the length of the article I've included the source...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

flylonghaul

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Quoting VCy (Reply 48):
Does anyone know the actual loads on the BA flight to SYD?

From my last 10 flights on this route QF1/2 and QF31/32 before it changed and BA15/16 the average would have been in the high 90's
When I enquired about the load last June on BA15 I was told it was 100% full that day, I switched to QF1 in SIN and it was also packed to the rafters.BA16 on my return was 100% full to SIN where I switched to QF after a stopover.
Checking availability on BA15/16 for my trip next year and 6 months out on the days that I checked, I found there were already quite a few F, J and W bookings with seating already allocated.
Obviously I am aware my experiences only give a small view, and don't tell us anything of the all important yields.

With business ties between the UK and Australia being so strong surely there must be a lot of corporate contracts that BA has in place that will help ensure the routes survival. And the equipment change puts BA on a somewhat more level playing field against the competition.
Good to see BA really giving the route a fighting chance.

The day this flight stops will be a sad day for us spotters in SYD
Flying for Pleasure

sydaircargo

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Quoting VCy (Reply 6):
think it goes beyond that.. SYD is part of BA's history and it's also a matter of prestige. Especially as long as VS keeps flying there.

thats what BA SYD said to me the other day too.

as long as VS flys to SYD , BA will too.

warden145

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:36 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 45):
They proved with SFO that prestige isn't enough to save a route these days
Quoting jfk777 (Reply 51):
Qantas leaving SFO to concentrate at LAX

I was under the impression that QF was making money on the SFO flight but pulled it because they needed the aircraft for their DFW flight? SFO was dropped right as DFW began.
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

flylonghaul

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:57 am

Quoting warden145 (Reply 61):

That was my understanding also.
Flying for Pleasure

DolphinAir747

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:10 am

While there is certainly an element of prestige involved with LHR-SYD, the route would not hold with three carriers operating their own metal all the way were it not profitable. It's that simple.

qfvhoqa

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:16 am

Quoting VCy (Reply 48):

Does anyone know the actual loads on the BA flight to SYD? And does anyone have any info on how VS is performing the route? (just out of curiosity)

According to Australian government statistics, in the year ending June 2012 BA had a LF of 85.4% for inbound services & 77.3% outbound services. This would include BA9/10 via BKK as this was only shortened in March 2012.
Link:Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics

qf002

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:26 am

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 51):
Qantas leaving SFO to concentrate at LAX is very different then leaving LHR. IF QF stopped flying to LHR they wouldn't replace it, they would be leaving London, the UK and probably anything west of Dubai. London is far more impaortant to Qantas and the Asutralian economy then Sydney is to BA and Virgin Atlantic. What I don't understand is why BA or Qantas don't fly Perth to LHR which is doable nonstop, its 15 or 16 hours but nonstop.

PER-LHR is not a profitable proposition.

Quoting deconz (Reply 56):
That's not a major surprise - with both legs overnight those SYD pax would arrive on Boxing Day. I'd suspect many of those who wished to travel "downunder" at that time of the year would like to arrive on or before Chrismas Day!!!

VS generally has very low fares on the local HKG-SYD extension anyway, so I doubt this was just because of Christmas. They continue to say that their services here are profitable, but I'm left wondering if it's HKG that's profitable and SYD is just breaking even (and not worth dropping). It wouldn't be a total shock to see them drop SYD down the track (perhaps in cooperation with new VA services to HKG), but not for a few years.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 63):
While there is certainly an element of prestige involved with LHR-SYD, the route would not hold with three carriers operating their own metal all the way were it not profitable. It's that simple.

Because of the JV, QF and BA were effectively the same airline. So really we are moving from two airlines on the direct route (QF/BA and VS) to three (QF/EK, BA and VS).

SKAirbus

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 am

I suspect that the LHR-SIN-SYD route will be "downgraded" to a 77E eventually... The 77W is too much plane for the route (with respect to premium versus economy seating). Another option could be to configure a few high density Y 744s for the route but this will render the aircraft useless to other destinations.
Base: BRU

skipness1E

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 am

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 66):
I suspect that the LHR-SIN-SYD route will be "downgraded" to a 77E eventually... The 77W is too much plane for the route (with respect to premium versus economy seating). Another option could be to configure a few high density Y 744s for the route but this will render the aircraft useless to other destinations.

You do know the whole point of putting the B77W on the route is to achieve the opposite of this? Indeed BA015 / 016 has only recently returned from being a B777-236ER to the larger B747-436.

[Edited 2013-01-02 03:26:45]

rutankrd

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 pm

That exactly the point BA want to up lift overall yield to strengthen to viability of the route without the need to allocate capacity to a partner
Effectively they have striped out the QF sold low margin capacity

As previously stated

The 77W is F14 J56 W44 Y186 =300 - A reduction in non profit tourist (Those price sensitive will surely drift to MEB3/QF or over other far east carrier ) yet 8 extra tourist plus but virtually no difference up front.

boysteve

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:29 pm

This does not sound like a usual BA policy, I thought that they would select which ever aircraft type had the correct number of premium seats (yield wise) and then adjust Y pricing to fill/limit demand with whatever is left! And surely they have played this card when they just selected the B77W!

malaysia

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 am

Just curious, I am planning to try to fly Non-Rev SIN-LHR on this route in the middle of this month on either QF or BA, they have 4 flights a day at the end of January. I wondered if its really a PITA to try. I do have alternatives, but I want to try to take the QF A388 out with the BA 744 as a back up. wonder how the avg loads are before this JV is gone? I hear BA is full often, but how about QF with 2 daily A388?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

FlyboyOz

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 65):
VS generally has very low fares on the local HKG-SYD extension anyway, so I doubt this was just because of Christmas. They continue to say that their services here are profitable, but I'm left wondering if it's HKG that's profitable and SYD is just breaking even (and not worth dropping). It wouldn't be a total shock to see them drop SYD down the track (perhaps in cooperation with new VA services to HKG), but not for a few years.

Disagree... SQ and some other asian airlines airfare is somewhat a little cheaper than VS. I still prefer to fly with Asian Airlines to fly anywhere in Asia.

Last time i checked the airfare between SYD and HKG on christmas weeks. VS - $1700 whereas SQ - $1300 (including A380 and stopover in SIN).

Of course BA will not terminate the Kangaroo routes cos of VS. If BA would terminate that route, then VS airfare to Australia will be higher.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

nrt1011

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:29 am

If you are flying SIN-LHR, why would you not fly Singapore Airlines? BA and QF are a very distant 2nd to a far superior Asian carrier.

qfvhoqa

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 am

Quoting nrt1011 (Reply 72):

If you are flying SIN-LHR, why would you not fly Singapore Airlines? BA and QF are a very distant 2nd to a far superior Asian carrier.

Alliance may also come into consideration. Oneworld frequent flyers may choose BA/QF to boost status / points earn. Also if you want to fly Y+, SQ do not offer this class.

nrt1011

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 am

Yes good point, I am a Star Alliance member and always want to fly them. I certainly understand the Y+, thanks.

LO231

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:34 am

Give it to Star Alliance. SQ UA LH will cover it. Mho
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

deconz

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:39 am

Quoting nrt1011 (Reply 72):

The OP stated he/she wanted to non-rev. Depending on his/her employer, SQ might not be a realistic option in this case. However, I fully appreciate the sentiment as SQ offer a very good quality Y experience on this route!

LO231

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 am

Quoting deconz (Reply 76):

My thoughts exactly. Jeez, I am quoting MammaMia
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU