Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LO231
Topic Author

Poland Aviation

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:45 am

How about this? Your thoughts? Being a Pole, well, now Belgian, I just wondered. What's new? What's gone? And don't get too many 787 things 'cos I am flying them in two days. Just general checkout of what is going on going there. Last time I know, QR applied for WAW so did EK

Any comments?

[Edited 2013-01-02 19:38:24]
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

WROORD

Poland Aviation

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:41 am

QR started flights to WAW December 5th and is doing great thus expanding from four flights per week to daily service from February. EK service starts February 6th, 2013.

LO231
Topic Author

Poland Aviation

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 am

Quoting WROORD (Reply 1):

Any new airlines from Star? Thanks Wroclawianin

LO231
Topic Author

Poland Aviation

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:56 am

Quoting WROORD (Reply 1):

What aircrafts?

Freshside3

RE: Poland Aviation

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 am

Travel Service Polska has been running charters from WAW to Kavala, Greece(KVA), on a semi-regular basis. KVA gets them once every 10-14 days.

milan320

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:19 am

Air Berlin has announced upto 3 connection daily from Krakow to Berlin in 2013. So that's also some of the developments for that part of the country. Plus FR I think will have 2 planes stationed there as a mini-hub.
I accept bribes ... :-)

RussianJet

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:50 am

Quoting milan320 (Reply 5):
Plus FR I think will have 2 planes stationed there as a mini-hub.

Mini-base. Sorry to be picky, but hub implies connections, something specifically not on their agenda.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

ordwaw

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 3):
What aircrafts?

QR - A320
EK - A332

Another development is the Modlin Airport (WMI) and its runway problems. The 1 km long concrete section of the runway started to show cracks, and the runway, and consequently the airport was shot down before Christmas. All FR and W6 traffic was rerouted to WAW. The construction work is going on to get the runway fixed, if it can be fixed without being totally rebuilt. The good question is whether FR and W6 will be coming back to WMI soon.

Overall, the future of LOT is one of the key questions related to Polish aviation. The airline is currently flying on a semi-autopilot. The Ministry of Treasury which owns 69% of the airline removed LOT's CEO (the search for his replacement is in progress), and required a lot of cost cutting measures. So on the one hand LOT will have had 5 new B787-8 dreamliners by April, but on the other, there is no overall overarching strategy for the airline.

LOT is supposed to be returning 13 of its aircraft to the leasing companies soon. This includes all B734 and B767, and perhaps some E170. It is supposed to eliminate certain revenue losing routes, it will be interesting to see which. Overall pretty challenging times, and it should be interesting to see how the new management plays it all out.

milan320

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 6):

Sorry, my bad, it was a mistype. I meant base. It will actually be FR's 53rd base (or mini-base, since it will only be 2 planes)

http://www.wbj.pl/article-61347-ryan...unces-new-krakow-base.html?typ=ise

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1212/ryanair-poland-business.html
I accept bribes ... :-)

konrad

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Quoting ordwaw (Reply 7):
LOT is supposed to be returning 13 of its aircraft to the leasing companies soon. This includes all B734 and B767, and perhaps some E170.

Apart from the serious LOT fleet overhaul the EuroLOT has also changed a lot during the last year. A total of 8 brand new Dash 8-Q400 are now flying for EuroLOT, with the delivery of another 6 to follow this year. In consequence, all ATR72 and several ATR42 turboprops will be retired leaving only Q400s and 2 newest ATR42-500 for thinner routes.

Since a year EuroLOT has started a number of its own routes, both international and domestic. However, it is rumored to be loosing money on most of its network apart from the GDN KRK and GDN WRO domestic routes bypassing Warsaw.

[Edited 2013-01-04 04:07:35]

WROORD

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 2):
Any new airlines from Star?

SAS added CPH-LCJ and second flight on CPH-WRO. There will be changes to LH flights once they come up with the new Germanwings operations.

HT

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 pm

With both W6 and FR back at WAW temporarily, this morning's processing time at security check was in the range of 40 minutes.

And: Why is WAW not accepting W6's paper boarding passes generated via OLCI ? They need to be exchanged in favor of a locally issued Boarding Pass, even for bookings made ex WAW i.e. after W6 had announced that they would come back to WAW temporarily over Christmas season (but before WMI got closed) ?
Also the queue at the dedicated counter #209 for this BP exchange was immense this morning.

On a more happy note, anybody wanting to shoot nightly pictures of SP-LRA, this can be done from around the long distance bus terminal (next the WAW's train station). The ship has been parked there on a remote stand the last nights.
And if you search for it, there is one loophole where you will not look or take pictures through glass.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

HT

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm

aero.de reports that WMI will not reopen for business before April / May 2013 as stated by Piotr Okienczyc of WMI.

In German: http://www.aero.de/news-16700/Modlin...chau-erst-im-Mai-wieder-offen.html

How is the current situation at WAW's check-in desks and security check these days now that New Year's traffic is over ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

LO231
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 am

Hi HT! Long time, no see...

Well I flew LO's dreamliner on the 10th and check-in and security didn't take more than 10 mins. Lots of desks open for Star and LO, it really depends if you checked-in online, got luggage and things like this.. Not to forget, which airline you fly. For me it was a breeze...

They asked me in the queue if I have checked-in online, when I said yes, they told me to drop my suitcase at any LO desk, including Business class, as they have "bag-drop" at every desk now.

Rgds,

LO231

Akiestar

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:37 pm

All FR and W6 traffic was rerouted to WAW

With W6 and FR moving back to WAW for now, are they being accommodated at Sector CDE, or did they reopen Sector AB (although this is probably unlikely due to the expansion work at WAW)?

I can imagine the terminal being very crowded now with W6 and FR moving back to WAW and there not being as many check-in desks available.

mke717spotter

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:36 pm

So on the one hand LOT will have had 5 new B787-8 dreamliners by April, but on the other, there is no overall overarching strategy for the airline.

Here's some pics I found of all three that have yet to be delivered:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonm/8297820208/

(LRD is behind the dreamlifter, unpainted LRE in front)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonm/8296769967/

Once the whole battery issue is resolved SP-LRC should be one of the next 787s to head out for delivery. Once delivered, where are all of LO's 787s going to go? They ordered 8, but they cut EWR, KRK, and RZE so it would seem like a few of them could be sitting around quite a bit. Any chance of getting some new/restored service to North America or are all the new routes going to be to Asia?

On a side note, when I was a little over three years old, my mom and I flew LO from ORD to WAW in May of 1995. I'm too young to remember, but my mom claims that our flight was operated by SP-LPB (763) and that it was its first official flight since it had come brand new straight from PAE. Is this realistic or is it likely that it would've gone to WAW first?

LOT is supposed to be returning 13 of its aircraft to the leasing companies soon. This includes all B734 and B767, and perhaps some E170. It is supposed to eliminate certain revenue losing routes, it will be interesting to see which.

This sounds disappointing, but when they say the fleet is going to be downsized, how much of this is what we already knew? They currently have 4 767s, 8 737 classics, 11 ATRs, and I think its safe to assume that those frames were already going to be phased out. Don't they still have some Q400s and E190s on order?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

WROORD

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 am

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 15):
Once delivered, where are all of LO's 787s going to go?

I guess it may be something like this:

1x7 to ORD
2x7 to JFK
3x7 to YYZ
4x7 to PEK
5x7 to NRT
6x4 to ICN and x3 to PVG
7x3 to SZX and additional x 4 to JFK
8 could go to BKK,DEL, SIN, HKG, MIA, IAD or LAX

HT

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 13):
Hi HT! Long time, no see...

Like wise.
I heard that you met fellow A.netter Airtrainer on the B787 flight from BRU to WAW, but I heard that only later that day, so we missed each other while I was waiting for Airtrainer.

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 14):
With W6 and FR moving back to WAW for now, are they being accommodated at Sector CDE, or did they reopen Sector AB (although this is probably unlikely due to the expansion work at WAW)?

The building of sectors AB is under major remodeling, scheduled until 2016, IIRC. There is no option to use its interior at present.
Also airside the number of restaurants and shops is reduced at present. On Monday, 07-JAN the Aelia dutyfree shop was sold out of duty-paid Marlboro cigarettes (except "Gold"); the same happened at WRO the evening before.

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 14):
I can imagine the terminal being very crowded now with W6 and FR moving back to WAW and there not being as many check-in desks available.

Like I expressed earlier, queues at check-in (or any service) for FR and W6 were long, but of more concern to me was the very long wait at security, which made me miss my W6-flight WAW to NYO on Sunday 06-JAN.

One way to ease congestion at WAW temporarily could be to re-open Etiuda-terminal for departing passengers of either FR or W6, while continuing to process the respective airline's arriving passengers at the main terminal.
Likely not much more than a few pax screening machines would be needed to be installed, as luggage could be X-rayed at the main terminal after dropping. While extra time would be required for checked luggage X-ray, the current deadline for checking luggage at W6 and FR should allow enough time for it.
But I can assume that pax screening machines have some delivery time ... - and the "cost" aspect also would be subject to discussions between WAW and the airlines.

-HT

LO231
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 17):

I have met so many people on both my flights, be it from A.net or luchtzak.be... I just couldn't remember who was who, LOL. Wish I knew you were there but a friend of mine picked me up and we went straight to the car...

It was quite crowde at Arrivals level, huh?

Rgds,

LO231

Akiestar

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 17):
One way to ease congestion at WAW temporarily could be to re-open Etiuda-terminal for departing passengers of either FR or W6, while continuing to process the respective airline's arriving passengers at the main terminal.

They could do that (similar to Terminal 1A at VIE, where passengers still board flights at the main terminal), although I wonder if it's still cost-effective for WAW to do so if WMI will only be out of service for a few months. Too bad I didn't get to see the Etiuda terminal: I was under the impression that it was converted into the airport bus terminal!

But hey, at least people in WAW and south of WAW will not have to complain about making the 40+-kilometer trip to WMI. The long lines though are the trade-off.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos