flyguy89

RE: OFFICIAL: New AA Livery Today! Part 2

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I think people are getting a little too caught up in this. AA's livery was always going to have to change with the way modern aircraft are being manufactured (i.e. composites), I liked the polished aluminum look, definitely a classic, but there's no getting around the fact that it needed to be changed.

That said, I think the new look is pretty good, not excellent or blowing me away...I don't think this was the absolute best they could have done, but I can already tell it's going to grow on me over time, especially once I see how this new brand is rolled out across other aspects of the business. The stylized American flag is pretty unique and bold and I'm glad to see they (somewhat) retained the eagle and didn't completely eliminate the color red from the brand.

harleydriver

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm

IMHO, it appears there were two design teams, one for the fuselage and one for the tail and they didn't talk to each other. I am a big fan of getting away from the standard white fuselage but that didn't work here. I picture this in all white and the way the red, white and blue on the tail would have come together and I think it would have worked much better. I think the basic design of the flag on the tail looks a bit like someone in elementary school would have drawn.

In the Youtube video, it was mentioned how important it was to keep the eagle. I don't see it.
Department of Redundancy Department

IFlyTWA

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Contemporary it may be, but that doesn't make it look good.

Forty years of history replaced by a generic meaningless swoosh thing.

[Edited 2013-01-17 11:04:08]
"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

ADent

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Wow.

The tail is bad.

I hate the giant lettering on the side of the plane. Reminds me of PanAm (at the end) and Frontier.

The branding stuff (shown in credit cards, tickets, etc) doesn't look half bad. I would like the eagle to look more like and eagle than a pull tab, but MUCH better than the aircraft.

tymnbalewne

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Quoting IFlyTWA (Reply 154):

Apparently it's named, "The Flight Symbol"
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

steex

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Quoting anfromme (Reply 149):
Also, because it would either have used the logo twice on each side of the plane (once on the fuselage, once on the tail), which would have looked silly, or it would have left the fuselage with just the dark grey "American" titles, with the only touch of colour being the logo on the tail.

I'm not sure I understand why having the logo on the plane twice would look silly. A very large number of airlines have that exact arrangement. Off the top of my head, I know that all of AC, CX, DL, KE, KL, LH, and US do this. There surely are others.

ldvaviation

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 126):
Seriously, what a hack design. "Hey, we're called American, let's have a flag!" Any 5 year old would come up with that. And as for the logo, it looks like a ripped ribbon. Seriously! It's a line with a tear in it!

Funny, because no one here did, "come up with that" that is...

As for the logo, it is the "A" reinvented as a bar. Instead of being side by side, they are stacked on top of each other at an angle. The Eagle remains at the inflection point, but now it is both Eagle and star.

This effectively combines in one place the three symbols that AA has always used in its brand --- the stars as in the Admirals Club logo, the bars as in AA's designation of classes (e.g., First and Business), and the letter "A."

No one who presented a new scheme on airliners.net or elsewhere came close to isolating the three symbols AA has always used to define themselves and uniting them creatively in a new logo.

CV880

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Quoting AA77W (Reply 64):
Well, on one hand you have a Red, White, and Blue tail with a flag on it - AND - on the other hand you have a Red, White, and Blue tail with a flag on it. Coincidence?

Those A330's will look good in AA colors.

timboflier215

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Love the branding, love the logo, HATE that tail. Tacky, tacky, tacky. A line-up at DFW is going to made people's eyes bleed.

ckfred

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Quoting timboflier215 (Reply 160):
Love the branding, love the logo, HATE that tail. Tacky, tacky, tacky. A line-up at DFW is going to made people's eyes bleed.

Maybe if the red and white stripes ended on the veritical stablilizer, instead of extending onto the fuselage, it wouldn't be so hard on the eyes.

deltaflyertoo

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Quoting timboflier215 (Reply 160):
Love the branding, love the logo, HATE that tail

AGREED! Worst livery ever! The clean, non cluttered look is great (and some on here say boring) but the sharpest looking planes are those w/ a cool, iconic logo on tail, UAL is great, BA, Lufthansa, Air France, VS. THIS looks like a 5 year old drew it.

I was hoping for some kind of bold huge eagle with tint of blue and red.

qcpilotxf

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:31 pm

I like it, no one has like anyone else's new livery until a few months have passed. I think American is moving in a new direction, now we need to get over this U.S. Airways hump

Carmelo

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm

It is modern, simple and up to date like with all main airlines
Carmelo

AeroWesty

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 158):
This effectively combines in one place the three symbols that AA has always used in its brand --- the stars as in the Admirals Club logo, the bars as in AA's designation of classes (e.g., First and Business), and the letter "A."

Perhaps I'm going blind—where are the stars?
International Homo of Mystery

scbriml

Quoting dfwcre8tive (Reply 105):
Creative Review has a post about the re-branding:

Take a look at the close-up of the 737 tail - very US like. Which would mean...

Quoting stlgph (Reply 108):
Horton speaking at news conference: says "livery won't need a revamp in a U.S. Airways deal"

Hmmm.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TWFirst

Love the logo and font... but the tail is garish and doesn't support the overall rebranding well.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

ldvaviation

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Another way of looking at the livery...

In the old logo, the wings of the Eagle were striped, suggesting plumage. Graphically, of course, they were just a series of bars or stripes.

With that in mind, it seems that the designer of the new logo deconstructed the old logo (e.g., bars, wings, beak, and triangles) and rearranged the elements on the plane.

He put the two "A"'s (triangles) and the beak of the eagle (which now doubles as a star) in the front of the plane and he took the bars (wings) and expanded them into a larger pattern evocative of the US flag. Graphically, of course, it is just the same stripes that used to constitute the plumage of the eagle on the old logo.

Very interesting.

MadameConcorde

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:39 pm

I think it looks hideous.

This is only my own opinion.

Other people will say it looks very good.

We all have different taste.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

coronado

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 pm

i don' care for it. I have always been ofended by people who wear clothes that look like the US flag. The flag should be displayed on a mast, properly rather than be converted into a caricature of a flag. Having said that the US Air one color flag on its tail always struck as something that reminds me more of Greece than the USA.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Cue Statler and Waldorf in their balcony:

Statler: BOOOOOO! That's the worst legacy-carrier rebranding I've ever seen!

Waldorf: Now they're "United" with UA in blowing a major rebranding!

Both, looking at each other, then the stage: A ha ha ha ha ha!

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

FlyingHollander

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 pm

I have finally figured out what it reminds me of: the Bank of America logo.

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 168):
He put the two "A"'s (triangles) and the beak of the eagle (which now doubles as a star) in the front of the plane

It took me several views to see that. I like it, but it might be a little to obscure for a brand.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

ldvaviation

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 165):
Perhaps I'm going blind—where are the stars?

I din't see it myself at first. But there is a reference to it being there in the press materials.

Upon closer inspection, it seems the beak of the eagle doubles as a point of a star.

So does something else. I didn't see this until now. But what everyone is calling the US flag pattern isn't primarily that at all. It is a blue and red "A" side by side.

comairguycvg

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Looks like they have tried to keep a flag design in the tail to remember UsAir. I expect the merger announcement tomorrow....
Worked at: CV62, RJTA, KNLC, CV63, KNFL, OKAJ, KTRI, CV67, KMGE, KNQX, KVPS, KPIT, KCVG, KTYS, KATL

hummingbird1

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Come on guys!
This is one of the best new liveries for a major airline in a while. The 1968-livery may still have fans, but it was as outdated as it can get. I don't understand all the negative comments about the tail. It's distinctive and it's unmistakeable what the brand name says: American
I never liked this airline, but they're makig progress with me

AirCalSNA

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Not as classy as the livery being replaced, but the new livery is a bold step and the stylized Eagle is great. I hope they can work an AA on there somewhere, but I am satisfied with this new livery.

The777Man

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 pm

I like the livery but not the font.

For those people who complain, it could have been much worse.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

PDX88

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Whoever said the new livery wouldn't have any red in it was waaaay off.

Honestly, all of you were going to be looking for a reason to hate it no matter what the scheme came out to be. I bet if this was one of the concept designs someone came out with a couple months ago you all would've been praising it.

n797mx

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Quoting web500sjc (Reply 63):

I dont know if this is the aircrafts actual N-number but form the video it is identified as N0427ZZ, ship 5SW
Quoting asuflyer (Reply 84):
What's confusing to me is the reg and fleet number of the 757 in the video. AFAIK there is no AA 757 with the reg N0427ZZ and no plane with fleet no 5SW.

I believe it is N670AA
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

KarlB737

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Quoting IFlyTWA (Reply 154):
Contemporary it may be, but that doesn't make it look good.

I think we are seeing the beginning of another way to cut costs. Think about it United took the existing Continental paint job and simply removed "Continental" and put "United" in its place. Here we have only a fleeting reference to an airline identity for a new scheme. This afterthought is basic and removeable enough to be changed should it become necessary should a merger with USAirways take place. What I hope is that it provides a transition to something better. I hope I'm right.

Courtesy: Dallas Morning News

Take a Look at American Airlines' New Colors

"It is unclear whether the new paint scheme would be adopted were there to be merger, but enthusiasm surrounded the introduction of the new paint scheme."

http://business-news.thestreet.com/d...rican-airlines-new-colors/11815986

thrufru

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Quoting AA94 (Reply 10):
I agree. There have been several pics of the 737 featuring the new livery, but nothing high-quality (all grainy cell phone pics). I really like the logo. I'll reserve judgement on the livery until I see clear photos.

Those were my thoughts, too. Now that the high resolution photo of the 738 is posted, I'm a bit more keen on it. The gradations on the vertical stabilizer look a lot better than the solid blue and red stripes I'd imagined.

AeroWesty

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 173):
So does something else. I didn't see this until now. But what everyone is calling the US flag pattern isn't primarily that at all. It is a blue and red "A" side by side.

I went back and looked at the photos of the new AA design below the AF design. In this context of graphic free interpretation, it could also be said that the AF tail is also double letter As next to each other, but we know they aren't.

Graphic representation should be stunningly clear, not confusing to the eye, or something we have to work out in our minds to its meaning. I still chuckle a bit when I look at the Thai Airways logo, for example, since to me it looks like the "That Girl" logo from the '60s turned 90° on its side.

I'm all for modern and new, and like the new logo, but the tail looks like they just tried too hard to be all things, but ended up with nothing that captures a thing at base level.

ripcordd

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:01 pm

There were way better branding done here on a.net and prob could have gotten them for a fraction of the costs they paid for that one.

mrskyguy

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Egad.. I think it's simply awful.

AAL was on to something with the new logo, but then they wrecked it with the tail. The tail evokes a combination of Greyhound Bus Lines, a cheap Saab 340 tail, and ... Family Airlines. It looks like Mattel toy.

I should point out that my wife, who cares not for matters of air travel and avgeekism, loves it. *sigh*

I have to admit, the work of my good friend Tom Collins above in this thread was spectacular. A little splash of color, and they'd have had a winner.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

L0VE2FLY

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Another airline extending the tail fin color lines to the fuselage! So now we have 3 Qantas inspired tails in just 6 days, Pullmantur Air, Iberia's proposed livery & AA. I can't believe it's over for the iconic AA livery.

Quoting qcpilotxf (Reply 163):
no one has like anyone else's new livery until a few months have passed.

I liked TN, RJ, SU & most of DL's old liveries from day one.

N766UA

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 158):
No one who presented a new scheme on airliners.net or elsewhere came close to isolating the three symbols AA has always used to define themselves and uniting them creatively in a new logo.

Right, because it's a dumb idea. I know all about AA's logos and history and I would never have come to that conclusion if you hadn't told me.

In fact, I STILL don't see that... at all. It's a brand, not freakin' conceptualist modern art.

Upon closer inspection, it seems the beak of the eagle doubles as a point of a star.
It is a blue and red "A" side by side.

No, it isn't. If I have to start with the livery at my nose and slowly walk backwards from it like some kind of 3D picture puzzle, it's not anything. You can say it represents this or that or whatever, but nobody is going to see that without first being handed an introductory leaflet.

[Edited 2013-01-17 12:06:47]

Silver1SWA

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 177):
For those people who complain, it could have been much worse.

How so? Sure, I've seen worse liveries out there, but this certainly is not what I was expecting AA to come up with.

IMO, this new livery lacks the same kind of class. Very disappointing.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

gigneil

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Shouldn't this thread move to polls and prefs? We've announced the livery, and now its just a bunch of people expressing their preference, which I will do now:

Its fantastic. Its modern and clean, and DRASTICALLY more exciting than what US carriers usually do. The tail is awesome looking.

I'm terribly sorry American couldn't put out something more boring for everyone.

NS

MountainFlyer

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 188):
Shouldn't this thread move to polls and prefs? We've announced the livery, and now its just a bunch of people expressing their preference

Agreed, in two or three different threads it seems.
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

ldvaviation

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 186):
In fact, I STILL don't see that... at all. It's a brand, not freakin' conceptualist modern art.

Conceptualist modern art?

Tell that to the medieval or Byzantine church. They specialized in stuff like this.

Or tell that to JK Rowling who did much the same thing when she came up with the symbol for the "Deathly Hallows."

B747forever

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:11 pm

When will the first revenue flight be flown with the new livery?
Work Hard, Fly Right

lamyl_hhlco

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:13 pm

NO NO NO!! Did they really pay people to come up with that poor design concept? Anyone of us in here could have done a lot better

speedbird9

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 pm

I just hope they keep 1 737-800 in the polish aluminium (Now old) livery as a retro livery   

ldvaviation

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 182):
I'm all for modern and new, and like the new logo, but the tail looks like they just tried too hard to be all things, but ended up with nothing that captures a thing at base level.

But it does capture something at the base level. Everyone here thinks it is the US flag, but it isn't really. So, what is it? That's when you start looking at it again.

Same with the logo. What is it? You see the beak and think, "Well it is just an eagle with blue and red wings." But, it is actually more complex than that.

AeroWesty

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 193):
That's when you start looking at it again.

Actually, I just avert my eyes, it's so garish and inappropriate.

DeltaRules

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Verdict: It's gonna be a shame when US Airways' paint scheme is replaced by that.

The only one in the US that's worse is UA's schizophrenic "Oh God, which airline am I?" post-merger paint scheme that, if I remember right, Smisek gushed over "Because I designed it".

Quoting PacNWJet (Reply 45):
Although the overall livery is very different, the first thing I thought of when I saw the tail design was this:

That was my first impression: "Oh, so AA is merging with North American!"  
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

BOACCunard

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Wow. I expected most of you to hate it, no matter what it was... But I wasn't expecting this much vitriol.

It's a more radical change than I'd have liked -- is this the first AA livery ever that doesn't have a version of the double A with eagle mark (or at least, a version that isn't so abstracted that most people can't see it without it being explained to them)? -- but I actually think both the livery and branding are aesthetically pleasing, distinctive, and well thought out.

Then again, everyone here seems to love the current US livery, which does nothing for me... So I guess my tastes are unusual.

And for what it's worth, I love the 1968 brand/livery, but it was time for the brand to evolve. I doubt this one will last as long... But only time will tell that.

People hated the 1968 livery, too, when it was new. (Then again, quite a few people here seem to hate it for the opposite reason -- then it was too radical, now it's dated.) I think people's opinions of this one will also mellow over time.
Getting There is Half the Fun!

flood

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Wow... how incredibly disappointing  

Having skimmed through the two threads, I've seen references to "modern" and "stylish". I hope you were being sarcastic, because the tail looks like something plucked out of the clearance section of the dollar store. First word that comes to mind is "kitsch".

Amazing, really, considering all the "amateur" designs floated throughout these threads over the past few months - which blow AA's design out of the water.

Timaay419

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Make the photo big on the screen, stand back from the computer, and imagine what that tail is going to look like flying into any airport...It's very distinctive. It's clearly an American flag. It's great.

Quoting gigneil (Reply 188):

Shouldn't this thread move to polls and prefs? We've announced the livery, and now its just a bunch of people expressing their preference, which I will do now:

Its fantastic. Its modern and clean, and DRASTICALLY more exciting than what US carriers usually do. The tail is awesome looking.

I'm terribly sorry American couldn't put out something more boring for everyone.

This is fresh, hands down. I'm ready to see a stack of those tails here at LAX. It's going to really modernize the feel of the airline.

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 185):
I can't believe it's over for the iconic AA livery.

The AA logo is older than I am, and I'm 27. It's going to take some serious getting used to for some.

EXMEMWIDGET

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 pm

The logo at the front of the aircraft reminds me of the Greyhound Bus Lines logo.
Ex DL and NW, current FX.

flashmeister

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 pm

My first reaction when I saw the livery: "Damn". And not in a good way.

Logo? Brilliant. Most of the livery? Meh, boring, until you get to the tail. That's where the "Damn" comes in.

It looks like they hired a bunch of blind designers to draw what they thought an American flag looked like, snapped a photo of one with an iPhone, cropped it to fit, and sent to to Kinko's to get a decal made.

That tail looks like something Barbara Mandrell would wear. Or anyone in the Ice Capades.

Utterly embarrassing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos