questions

RE: Official: New AA Livery - Jan/17 - Part 3

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:24 am

Maybe a merger with US would be better than this ugly livery.

**** Quick, can someone whip up a livery mock-up with the new AA livery and US tail? ****

goldenargosy

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 am

Website just went live with the new branding minutes ago.

Owleye

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 am

When you always wear the same clothes you will be judged as boring, so a change now and then is good for every brand.

Quoting asuflyer (Reply 57):

Although I like the new livery I have to applause for this livery concept of Asuflyer. Looks good!

Xkorpyoh

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:35 am

I knew a Facebook page was coming against this tragic new livery: https://www.facebook.com/AAfail

Aloha717200

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 am

http://mediacdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/417/6840/original.jpg

Probably the most anticlimactic unveiling in recent memory. What a horribly ugly tail. I agree with others who said it's something you'd be more likely to see on a charter airline than a global carrier like American.

My biggest problem with it is how jarring it is. It doesn't blend well with the rest of the fuselage. If anything, the tail might benefit from having the "stripes" end at the base of the tail, but continuing it downwards just makes it all the more grating on the eyes. And what's with all of the gradients and stripes within stripes? It's a livery that feels like it's trying too hard.

Certainly not timeless or classic. More like a livery that is disposable and easily replacable. Very disappointing...and yet...STILL better than the "new" United livery. At least it has some interesting elements to it. I'm glad that the body is kept a form of silver, I'm glad that the red and blue are retained, and the new logo looks halfway decent, though it really needs to go on the winglets, it looks like it would be at home there.

But the tail...I'm sorry, but far too overpatriotic and cheesy. The idea is to make it classy for a classy airline. I'm confused by people saying it's classy. It's more like someone draping an american flag out the back window of their pickup truck. US' logo is "classy".

Defiinitely needs refinement. I literally laughed after seeing how enthused Horton appeared to be in that video, and then seeing the result. I hate it. It's so bad that it's actually funny!  

[Edited 2013-01-17 22:10:53]

YXwatcherMKE

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 am

I have to say that I very much like the new Livery. Yes it is a big, big, BIG change, but it is time for a change. The current livery is 45 years old. How many different liveries have the other Majors have had in that time period. It would have been better if there were stripes down the Fuselage to say the wings and fades out there. And it would look better if the Logo was on the winglets or something other than plan gray. Maybe if theirs enough comments made to the right peoples email they could make a few changes to the livery. But unless you could have made a design and submitted it to the powers to be at AA I don't think any one has a leg on to complain about it.
I miss the 60's & 70's when you felt like a guest on the plane not cattle like today

A388

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:44 am

Quoting Owleye (Reply 102):
When you always wear the same clothes you will be judged as boring, so a change now and then is good for every brand.

Are you seriously comparing wearing the same clothes with a worldwide recognized brand? Really? Do think it is good "every now and then" to change a worldwide brand such as BA or KL or AF? AA falls in that same category. Don't change a well-known brand too drastically.

On what do you base that AA's livery was boring or seen as boring?

A388

[Edited 2013-01-17 21:48:57]

airjamaica

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 am

Was expecting the billboard titles for the new livery so that is not a surprise. Tail is very disappointing though. Oh well. Life goes on..........
airjamaica

777way

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 99):
If they had stopped it at the tail and not let it run into the fuselage, it would be better - the stripes ending on the fuselage look really awkward.

Yes, that last stripe needs to be dropped.

[Edited 2013-01-17 22:06:13]

Acey559

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:48 am

Quoting goldenargosy (Reply 101):

Good catch, I think the new site looks really nice! I'm a huge fan of the bare metal and I'm still getting used to the change, but I'm a fan of the branding and look forward to flying a newly painted Eagle plane.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

pdx

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:54 am

Would make a great movie airline! AIRPORT 2013 anyone? Doesn't quite beat Trans Global Airlines or Columbia Airlines however. Ironically, the Columbia 747 from AIRPORT 1975 was rented from AA I believe.

flanker

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 am

Quoting goldenargosy (Reply 101):
Website just went live with the new branding minutes ago.
Quoting Acey559 (Reply 109):
Good catch, I think the new site looks really nice!

Have you guys noticed how the main background pictures that you can cycle through are not formatted right? Way too pixelated ..especially the "madrid spain" one... yikes!!!

concord977

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 am

My twist >
<br />My twist on the new AAL look.<br><br>[Edited 2013-01-17 22:13:21]</div>

<div id=No info

ckfred

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 am

Quoting pdx (Reply 98):
Why is the flag on the tail backwards on the starboard side of the aircraft?

Whether it's the U.S. flag or something stylized, it's always painted to look if you had a cloth flag flying from a flag pole.

If you look at the flag on an aircraft of a U.S. carrier, the field is always towards the nose of the aircraft.

If you have a flag patch on a sleeve of a uniform, you always have the field situated, so that it's towards the chest. When the person is walking, it would look the same as if he was carrying a flag on a pole.

infinit

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:13 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 92):
For the umpteenth time, with the Airbus and 787 a/c arriving, and composite materials being used more and more, the polished look would have been impossible to keep, unless you favor the all-white look they experimented with before

Technology, materials etc can change but style shouldn't. The American livery circa 1967 is stylish and timeless.
I would have rather gone with the all-white look you cited.
Maybe they could have tweaked it a little so it doesn't look as unfinished but I would definitely favour that over a near-completely new livery.

Doesn't consistency mean anything to AA? For a brand who launched a beautiful Marketing campaign post 911 where they stated boldly that they're evidently more than just an airline, I would have expected them to stick to tradition.

Yes they are in a bit of a transition now, contemplating a merger from what I understand but if the issue of branding should ever arise, I would have expected a "some things will never change" axiom- AA as a brand that is classy, relatable to Americans of all ages and through the times.. And not to throw an old brand/identity out and develop something new. That might be fine for Virgin instead.

Perhaps I've always seen the AA brand as more premium than it necessarily is but I think they're one of the few airlines that can build on a strong sense of tradition and it should.

questions

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 am

Quoting concord977 (Reply 112):

That looks better.

Once I get past the new livery's awful tail design... I get hung up on the logo which looks like a cross between the US Postal Service and Greyhound logos... then once I get past that mess, I get hung up on the choice of blue and red... the blue looks very close to DL Signature Blue.

All in all cheap and cheesy.

ukoverlander

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:28 am

Wow, what can I say. ...super trashy and ugly springs to mind. After all this time it's amazing that American Airlines could pick a livery that is so gaudy and tasteless. Very sad really.

Independence76

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:30 am

Ladies and Gentlemen....

I present to you my Alternative Marketing Plan that was rejected by AA management in late-2012 after being circulated in high areas of AMR Corporate.

http://imgur.com/a/mwEiY

macsog6

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:32 am

Quoting idlewildchild (Reply 5):
Yes, it is clearly Americana to the MAX and that's a good thing because that's the name of the company and that's their brand, AMERICAN.

So here's where I am about 45 minutes into this - it's bold, it's contemporary and it's going to be a classic for the stylized tail. Let's see where I am after a few hours!

When I first looked at it, I thought it was awful. But the longer I looked at, the more it opened up to me and it started to be...well, it started to be AMERICAN.

As much as I loved the old one, I am grateful they did not try to make the old one just look new. I like the new one now and I suspect in a few months, I'll love it.

Well done American, well done.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

Aloha717200

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 am

Quoting Independence76 (Reply 117):
I present to you my Alternative Marketing Plan that was rejected by AA management in late-2012 after being circulated in high areas of AMR Corporate.

Well, clearly you didn't have enough stripes within stripes. There's your problem.

That said, while your livery is nice, I think there's something missing from it. I'd go with larger titles on the front, and I'd do slightly more with the tail. Those large areas of solid color need something. Still, it's on a better track than this monstrosity that we now get to live with.

Independence76

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:41 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 119):
That said, while your livery is nice, I think there's something missing from it. I'd go with larger titles on the front, and I'd do slightly more with the tail. Those large areas of solid color need something. Still, it's on a better track than this monstrosity that we now get to live with.

It's not perfect, but it's merely a draft design to catch the attention of marketing executives. It did that, but they went with the livery unveiled today instead.

Mir

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 am

Found this elsewhere on the internet:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EkNqjQbZTFg/UIk_hqQ4sEI/AAAAAAAAAyU/843etZQpVOc/s1600/livery.jpg

I don't think it's perfect - I'd change the teal to red and the dark grey on the tail to blue, and I might tweak the design of the eagle somewhat to make it more linear and less flowing. But it's a whole lot better than what they put out.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Mikey86

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 am

It makes AA look like a low-cost airline now. I am still undecided on this livery. There was some good renderings in the forums that were far more attracted which would have projected a great image for a "legacy carrier" that AA is but also with the airline still in time with others.
mikey86 - Greenslopes, Queensland

DocLightning

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 104):
And what's with all of the gradients and stripes within stripes? It's a livery that feels like it's trying too hard.

Exactly. If they got rid of the gradients and the white stripes in the blue field that don't line up with any of the other stripes, it might actually be visually acceptable.

Well, the good news is that it's unlikely that this livery will last nearly as long as the last one did.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PSAMD80

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:03 am

I think the new livery is every bit of awesome! The tail is American's red , white and blue stripes, but with an updated,modern twist to it. The titles still resemble AA's current script, except a little softer. The hint of the eagle is a nice touch also.

[Edited 2013-01-17 23:05:27]

Owleye

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:37 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 106):
Don't change a well-known brand too drastically.

Agree. AA's previous livery was not boring but could use a subtle upgrade though. Now it is drastically done, true. Not bad but totally different. Isn't this new branding/livery the result of US Airways and AA merger? Take that into account as well.

TSS

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:47 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 123):
Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 104):
And what's with all of the gradients and stripes within stripes? It's a livery that feels like it's trying too hard.

Exactly. If they got rid of the gradients and the white stripes in the blue field that don't line up with any of the other stripes, it might actually be visually acceptable.

Agreed 100%. It does explain how the planes are able to be delivered in basic grey and white though- The design on the tail is all computer-printed decal.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 123):
Well, the good news is that it's unlikely that this livery will last nearly as long as the last one did.

I agree with that as well. I figure it'll last about as long as DL's similarly tortured "Wavy Gravy/Deltaflot" livery did.

Quoting PSAMD80 (Reply 124):
The hint of the eagle is a nice touch also.

The "hint of the eagle" is the only thing about the new livery that's too subtle. It's like one of those "can you see the hidden image?" optical illusion pictures in that the "hint of the eagle" is only obvious to people who are already looking for some hint of an eagle. To everyone else, I suspect the new logo will simply look as if the red portion has a giant pull-tab hanging off of it. With that in mind, I hereby officially dub AA's new logo "The Pull-Tab".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DocLightning

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:08 am

I'll give it this:

It is iconic and easily recognizable. Just like the old brand, everyone is going to quickly learn this new brand. It's not exactly subtle and cheerily inoffensive like the CO livery (it's not the UA livery and never will be). And it will be very easy to recognize from afar.

Love it or hate it, it does do its job.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

flightsimer

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:26 am

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 93):

Except for the fact that Alaska, Frontier and Mexicana all had their logos on the tail?

I do have to say, this picture under this lighting makes it look ok to good.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan Giacomino

My biggest peeve about it is the fact that there are grey stripes in with the white stripes to the point where its more grey than white. Our flag is not red, grey and blue!

However, I do love the new logo and branding elsewhere, even though as soon as I saw it, I instantly thought Air France...

In summary, this is not a livery that will be able to survive 45 years like the last one did. However, with a little tweaking it can be a good livery.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

a380heavy

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 am

In my opinion the new livery instantly makes the one it replaces look old fashioned.

The new design is simple and uncluttered, the only change I'd make is to make the blue on the tail solid and incorporate some stars so it more represents a section taken from the American flag.

Because the old livery has been around for so long any change is bound to polarise opinion. BMW had a similar challenge in the UK when re-inventing the MINI motor car. Alec Issigonis got the concept so right with the original it's been virtually impossible to replace it with a modern interpretation.
Flown in:732,733,734,738,742,752,763,772,F27,DC9,MD-11,A300,A319,A320,A321,A332,ATR72,DHC-6,Bell206,C172,Auster,PA-28,DH-89A

babybus

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:54 am

Sorry, I don't like it. It cheapens the airline. That livery would be better suited to a start-up north American charter airline.

I think you always need an evolution in commercial branding not a shock.

It's like seeing your mum after a secret facelift. You should still be able to recognise her from before.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

ManuCH

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:39 am

Kudos for the refresh. I actually really like the new logo, I loved it at the first sight. Although I'm probably one of the few on here  
Quoting a380heavy (Reply 129):
In my opinion the new livery instantly makes the one it replaces look old fashioned.

I absolutely agree.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

BlueSky1976

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 am

Can anyone working at American share what feelings of airline's employees are about the new livery? Do they like it?
The queen of the skies is dead.

calvo747

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 am

very boring, almost looks cheap

usdcaguy

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:26 am

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 132):

Can anyone working at American share what feelings of airline's employees are about the new livery? Do they like it?

I used to work for AA and cannot believe they would attempt such a maneuver. Would have preferred to see them just paint their planes white while keeping the scissor eagle on the tail using a number of different lines and swirls for the colors. I don't think it would have taken anything more than an interning graphic design student to create a look that would be better than what has been fabricated.

na

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 am

Im surprised that there are so many negative comments.
While not a stunner, I think its a fresh start. It looks modern, the logo is smart, and everything very American.I also like the tail. Its the naked dull battleship grey fuselage that I dislike.

If there is really something to critisize, its the time of the debut. They should have decided first if they merge with US, regardless if some 77Ws carry the old livery for some time. Hey, the 77W is just the ordinary 77W like the Jones´ left and right have them for years, and not the A380 or 748 which would indeed be news. Who knows, maybe in a few weeks they do it like UA and they announce that this new livery was just a waste as they have decided on the US look for post-merger?

antoniemey

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 am

Eh, I don't love it, I don't hate it. I kinda like the logo, even if it does look a bit like a peeling sticker. The tail, well, it'll grow on me once I start seeing them all lined up in person.

I'd prefer a shade of grey that was a bit more evocative of silver in less-than-ideal lighting, but that's neither here nor there. It looks decent. I like it better on first sight than I liked Delta's current livery. I was one of the few who liked US Airways' scheme on first sight. And it sets the bar low enough for when UA eventually replaces the current scheme that I have less trepidation thinking about when that day might come.

Quoting a380heavy (Reply 129):
The new design is simple and uncluttered, the only change I'd make is to make the blue on the tail solid and incorporate some stars so it more represents a section taken from the American flag.

Even if they just made the blue solid it might be an improvement. Someone wanna photoshop that and post it?
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

radone

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:42 am

The tail design, with its complex striped&gradient layout may please the designers/PR and their desire of being updated, edgy and singular, but it may present a perception problem for the general public. For the ordinary traveler, the one who doesn t care if he flies A or B equipment, this livery may look, especially some cycles after painting, as "something wrong", either dirty or faded away, in the kind of BA747 that passed through volcanic ash.
Kinda "Look Mom, someone took off some stripes out of that tail"

[Edited 2013-01-18 02:55:45]

IDISA

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 am

I can't believe AA changed such a brillant livery for this one...I mean, I LOVED the old one and I still think there's no better livery around the world than that wonderful shining aluminuim they had.
I found this one not bad, but certainly not so unique like the one they had.

LH7478i

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 am

I actually kind of like the new livery. But nothing compares to the old one. That was just gold.
A319, A320, A321, A333, A346, B733, B735, B73G, B738, B744, B748, B757, B767, CRJ200, CRJ700, CRJ900, EMB135, EMB145, E1

antoniemey

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 am

Quoting LH7478i (Reply 139):
That was just gold.

No, it was silver.   
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 am

Quoting LH7478i (Reply 139):
nothing compares to the old one. That was just gold.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SQ773

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:21 am

I hope I get used to the new livery, so far both the logo and the livery look cheap to me. The logo reminds me of the Mexicana one, and the tail looks really charter/cheap to me.

I understand that AA needed a rebranding, but unless you improve the old one, just keep it like it was. American IMHO needed a livery and a logo worth its history ans his legacy. This one could be perfectly used by a start up carrier.

A real pity to me.

Rgds

SQ773

don0245

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 am

I'm with you PA110!    

Owleye

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm loving this new American. The design firm is proudly presenting its showcase:

http://www.futurebrand.com/

FutureBrand:

"Evolution of an Icon

American Airlines & FutureBrand Partner to Create a Modern New Look for the Iconic Brand

With the launch of a refreshed look and livery for American Airlines, FutureBrand is proud to announce our ongoing partnership with this truly iconic brand.

Recognizing that it was time for a new look to better reflect the progress it had made in the ongoing modernization of the airline, American engaged FutureBrand to partner on the modernization of the logo, livery and overall look and feel of the customer experience.

Our work is inspired by the company’s heritage and incorporates colors and symbols universally associated with the American brand. A reimagined logo—called the Flight Symbol—evokes the star, “A”, and iconic eagle of American’s past, all brought to life in refreshed shades of red, white and blue. Together, they reflect a more modern, vibrant and welcoming spirit.

The logo debuts along with a boldly reimagined livery. With proud stripes and a timeless silver body, the livery expresses American’s origins but also the spirit of modern America: innovative, progressive and open to the world.
During our multi-year collaboration with American, we’ve extended the new look to the broader customer experience—on web and mobile apps, modernized airport terminals and check-in experiences, premium airport lounges, updated onboard menus and communications, as well as a host of new branded elements. We continue our work with American as they continue their journey to modernize."

It's not an evolution but a revolution. The tail fin livery is bright, nice and happy looking. I'm pleased to see that it is not a Euro-white scheme. It's rare, distinctive. I'm sure that the livery design will grow on you soon or once. It's now time to remember/commemorate the old AA scheme(s) and to embrace the new one.

[Edited 2013-01-18 04:41:16]

mcdu

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:26 pm

I would compare this to the "new coke" debacle many years ago. AA had a timeless livery and they chose this awful scheme? The logo is just okay. If you aren't familiar with the eagle from AA the new logo looks like a pull tab or a sticker being pried from the surface.

The tail is absolutely the worst logo I think I've ever seen. It looks a bit like a Colgan Saab except Colgan had the decency to add a cheat line. It is inconceivable to me that the "best and brightest" at AA decided on this scheme. My condolences to the AA employees. There just be a write in campaign to keep the current bare metal. It is the classiest in the business. The new is anything but classy.

0newair0

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Take a look at the picture below. Is there just crap on the tail or is the paint already starting to come off near the top of the rudder, the base of the vertical stab and also just below the horizontal stab.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joe Statz

That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

lexer

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:34 pm

The tail reminds of one of the liveries of Capitol Air, it had a dollar sign in it, it was horrendous (Sky$aver, or something like that). Like that livery, this tail makes the airline look loud and crass, a bit like Texas. It looks like a low-cost or charter carrier. This is a pity, because the logo is quite nice, and so is the font on the plane, which gives a modern and clean look.

But the impression of the US flag could have been depicted on the tail in far more subtle and classy ways.

I also agree that the tail looks disjointed from the rest, the tail design doesn't extend to the belly of the plane, which makes it look unfinished, or as if it was screwed on at the last minute. The tail also does not integrate at all with the fuselage, which might have been achieved through a fairly subtle support line from the tail underneath the windows.

I understand that this is, to a large extent, a matter of taste and perhaps familiarity, but the structural flaws seem to be quite obvious in this case.

And all this blah blah in reply 144 above could also have been used with a better designed livery. But this ad agency prose is like an artist talking about his or her work, which is rarely a good idea.

lexer

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Quoting Owleye (Reply 144):
Evolution of an Icon

The logo debuts along with a boldly reimagined livery.

This is totally contradictory.

I wish it had been an evolution!

[Edited 2013-01-18 04:37:59]

Polot

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Quoting 0NEWAIR0 (Reply 146):
Take a look at the picture below. Is there just crap on the tail or is the paint already starting to come off near the top of the rudder, the base of the vertical stab and also just below the horizontal stab.

Those are reflections from the lights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos