Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kjfk527
Topic Author

Ramp Worker Serious Injured At EWR?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:24 pm

According to an article in the New York Post website a UA ramp employee was seriously injured after getting pinned between a baggage cart and a catering truck. Thoughts and prayers out to this rampers family and hopefully a speedy recovery.

Does anyone have any additional details?

platinumfoota

RE: Ramp Worker Serious Injured At EWR?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 pm

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/u...e_seriously_KpO8av9jNUW7qlWbAhBLrM

Quote:
NEWARK, NJ — Authorities say an airline worker has been seriously injured in an accident at Newark Liberty International Airport.

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Spokesman Ron Marsico tells The Record that a United Airlines employee was pinned between a luggage cart and a food service truck around 9:20 a.m. Sunday. But it's not clear how the accident occurred.

Marsico said the worker, whose name was not disclosed, was being treated at a hospital for "serious injuries." But further details about his condition were not immediately available.

No other injuries were reported in the incident, which remains under investigation

My heart goes out to a fellow co-worker and his family, we wish him the best
Never forget United 93

T5towbar

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 am

From what I've heard, a Chelsea truck hit a cart on a gate crushing a coworker. I think the driver of the catering truck didn't see the person behind the cart, but I don't know the facts. It's a dangerous business here where you have to have 360 vision on the ramp.

My prayers are with the family and hopefully the person will make a quick recovery.
Haven't had a lot of good news around here, and this just adds to it.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:47 am

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 2):
I think the driver of the catering truck didn't see the person behind the cart

The catering truck driver should have atleast noticed the damn cart.....you drive with a speed governor and look for obstacles to avoid........
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

planenut767

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Aren't these Chelsea driver's supposed to be using spotters when they pull into and back away from an airplane now? I've been seeing them do that for the last few years, but once in a while I see them not using one.

mayor

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Well, your head always needs to be on a swivel when you're out there or at least it should be. The caterer in SLC always used spotters when backing away from an aircraft or driving around it. Same goes for the cabin service trucks.

I've been involved in a couple of ramp accidents during my career and both of them were because I didn't use a spotter and THAT usually happens because you get in too much of a hurry.

A get well to this ramp worker.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos