Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

transaeroyyz
Topic Author

Air Canada Plane Wheel Falls Off After Landing YYZ

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 am

No passengers or crew were injured when a landing gear wheel fell off an Air Canada Jazz plane following its landing at Toronto’s Pearson airport Sunday.
Jazz spokeswoman Manon Stuart says the right wheel on the nose gear loosened while the small propeller plane was taxing to the terminal to finish its flight from North Bay, Ont.
Stuart says pilots kept complete control of the plane during the incident, which saw emergency vehicles race out to the plane as a precautionary measure.
She says there were 72 passengers on the plane.
Stuart says the airline is launching an investigation to figure out what made the wheel come loose.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...ng-in-toronto-no-one-on-board-hurt

I love how a 'small propeller plane' seats 72, for sure a Dash8Q4 fully loaded, reminded me of the main wheel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNyqIZPsNY

Skydrol

RE: Air Canada Plane Wheel Falls Off After Landing YYZ

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 am

''Ladies and gentlemen please remain seated until the airplane comes to a complete stop at the gate, with or without all of the wheels still on it.''  

Strange for it to be a 72 passenger airplane. I always thought Jazz used the 37 seat Dash 8-100 series for the Northern Ontario / North Bay, Timmins, Sudbury flights. Maybe they have added Q400 service to those routes now...

✈ LD4 ✈
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

airportugal310

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 am

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 1):

Lol. Wheels optional. Seat belts mandatory   

That being said, I'd expect "small propeller plane" for something as "small" as a King Air maybe, but the Q?

C'mon now.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 am

To some people outside the amazing world of aviation, a Q is tiny. I have a cousin who is petrified of anything that size. She says she nearly had a heart attack when she saw a UP Q300 waiting in FLL one day.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 2):
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 am

What was the cause......wrongly torqued wheel axle nut or undersized axle fitted with normal size axle nut......the prime suspects.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

CanadianNorth

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Will definately be interesting to hear the cause. I'm betting (based on how these sort of things usually come about where I'm from) someone probably put the tire on, got the nut on there, and then got distracted (someone probably called them to come see/do/hear something or something) and before you know it human factors has done it's thing and the nut doesn't get torqued. Not saying they were a bad mechanic or anything, I've seen it happen to the best of engineers. And of course that's purely me guessing and I've been wrong many times before, it could be something totally different.

That or being a 400 it probably rusted off.  

Good to hear everything turned out fine in the end though.
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

YYZYYT

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Strange for it to be a 72 passenger airplane. I always thought Jazz used the 37 seat Dash 8-100 series for the Northern Ontario / North Bay, Timmins, Sudbury flights. Maybe they have added Q400 service to those routes now...

I spent several years shuttling back and forth to YYB, never saw anything but a Dash 8-100 (a quick look at the website shows that hasn't changed). Also, I can think of a handful of flights that reached 50% full.

So I'd guess media exaggeration: ie, someone who concluded that a Dash 8 CAN hold 72 passengers... so the story becomes that there WERE 72 passengers on board, who were of course lucky to "escape injury".

Kaiarahi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 6):
So I'd guess media exaggeration: ie, someone who concluded that a Dash 8 CAN hold 72 passengers...

74 in Jazz configuration.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

cornutt

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Makes me wonder if Darrell Waltrip was on that flight... "You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel!"  

KaiTak747

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:58 pm

I recall this happening to a Flybe flight recently after takeoff.

The Dash 8 has had a lot of problems with the landing gear. Fortunately none fatal as far as I know.

longhauler

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Here's a picture of the plane.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/air-canada...after-landing-in-toronto-1.1122480

Quoting cornutt (Reply 8):
Makes me wonder if Darrell Waltrip was on that flight... "You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel!"

I must be demented, but that was a good laugh!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

yyz717

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 pm

YYZ-YYB is scheduled as 4x daily DH1 (most days). Don't see any DH4 in the skeds. Even flightaware did not show any DH4's on this route yesterday.

YTS, YSB, YXU and YQG all get a mix of DH1 and DH4 now from YYZ. What seems to be missing from YYZ is the Q300 on any routes.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

YYZYYT

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 10):

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/air-canada...22480

Indeed, a 400. Thanks, longhauler, for letting mere facts interfere with my a.net logic!

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 11):
YYZ-YYB is scheduled as 4x daily DH1 (most days). Don't see any DH4 in the skeds. Even flightaware did not show any DH4's on this route yesterday.

YTS, YSB, YXU and YQG all get a mix of DH1 and DH4 now from YYZ. What seems to be missing from YYZ is the Q300 on any routes.

Could the media have mis-reported the origin of the flight?

Skydrol

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 11):
Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 12):

What a surprise, the media getting something wrong! In this case, either the airplane type or the origin of the flight...

Ah, maybe this is a Porter or WestJet-induced media conspiracy to scare people from flying the older airplanes of Jazz (or Express, or whatever they call themselves this week) prior to introducing service to YYB?  

The comment from 'Passenger 57' below this news article linked by Longhauler made me laugh:
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/air-canada...after-landing-in-toronto-1.1122480

✈ LD4 ✈

[Edited 2013-01-21 10:09:42]
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

klm672

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Quoting cornutt (Reply 8):

Ha! Thanks for the good laugh!!!

bhill

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Reminds me of a Ron White story.......

Lug nut day.
Carpe Pices

yyztpa

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 13):
What a surprise, the media getting something wrong! In this case, either the airplane type or the origin of the flight...

Perhaps neither, but maybe the date? (Star caption indicates Monday Jan 21...but OP posted on Sunday).

Looks like JZA7860 flew as DH4 on Sunday, 20th. Flight was YTS-YYB-YYZ. Was this an extra section? It does not appear on other days and is not in the regular schedule.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JZA7860

DocLightning

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like this particular aircraft type is especially fond of dropping wheels on landing?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):
Is it just me or does it seem like this particular aircraft type is especially fond of dropping wheels on landing?

Bingo.....& we thought they had solved the problem finally...however....
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Kaiarahi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Previous incidents (SK) were with landing gear collapsing, not wheels dropping off. Long since fixed by using a different alloy at a point where there had been (unpredicted) corrosion, and different MX procedures.

It's actually a good thing to drop the wheels on landing - preferably before. Gear-up landings are expensive.

kc135topboom

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 12):

What? The news media getting something wrong in the story?            

jporterfi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 10):

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/air-canada...22480

Does YYZ typically use an actual tractor as opposed ot a pushback tug or a tractor the "scoops" the aircraft's nose wheel up off the ground to tow airplanes around the airport? Or was a tractor used because it was a Q400.
PPC (ASEL) | Aircraft Flown: PA28, C172, DA20

9252fly

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 21):
Does YYZ typically use an actual tractor as opposed ot a pushback tug or a tractor the "scoops" the aircraft's nose wheel up off the ground to tow airplanes around the airport? Or was a tractor used because it was a Q400.

To the best of my knowledge, Jazz uses the tractor pictured at all of it's domestic hubs for towing aircraft.

UAL Bagsmasher

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if an axle spacer was left out accidentally.

DocLightning

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 19):
Previous incidents (SK) were with landing gear collapsing, not wheels dropping off

I thought that a dash-8 or variant had also lost a MLG wheel at some point. I think there's a youtube of it.

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 19):
It's actually a good thing to drop the wheels on landing - preferably before.

No no no. You want to LOWER them. You do not want to DROP them.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Kaiarahi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 pm

At least they didn't both drop off. Then we would have had a grounding of the fleet   

trnswrld

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:58 pm

I wonder how the pilots even knew the wheel came off? Did one of them see it roll off to the side when they were taxiing? or were they notified from an outside source?

Viscount724

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:15 am

[/quote]

Quoting TrnsWrld (Reply 26):
I wonder how the pilots even knew the wheel came off? Did one of them see it roll off to the side when they were taxiing? or were they notified from an outside source?

When a main gear wheel fell off a Saab 340B on takeoff in Canada last August the crew didn't notice the missing wheel until their walk-around inspection after arrival at the destination. Excerpt from the Transport Canada occurrence report:

The Provincial Airlines Saab 340B aircraft (C-GPAJ), operating as flight SPR902, had arrived in Deer Lake (CYDF) from Goose Bay (CYYR) and was parked at the terminal. During the flight crew's walk around it was noticed that the #3 tire/wheel assembly was not installed on the axle. The tire/wheel assembly was subsequently located at the Goose Bay airport.
UPDATE Flight Operations: The flight crew on PAL aircraft C-GPAJ discovered that the #3 Main Wheel Assembly was missing when the aircraft was parked at the gate at the Deer Lake Airport. The previous flight leg was Goose Bay to Deer Lake. A PAL Maintenance AME was sent to Deer Lake. The AME discovered that the #3 Wheel Assembly departed the aircraft due to a wheel bearing failure. Some minor abrasions were blended out of the #3 wheel axle. The #3 wheel bearings and wheel assembly were replaced. No other damage was found related to this incident. C-FPAJ then left Deer Lake with no passengers for a re-positioning flight to the operator's base in St. John's. As a precaution, all the wheel assemblies were removed to inspect all the axles and wheel bearings. C-GPAJ was recently purchased by PAL and had only been in revenue service for approximately two weeks. The wheels had not been removed or serviced by PAL Maintenance.

skygirl1990

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 am

JQ's new cost-saving scheme - "Wheels not included in the ticket price"   

marquette20

Re: RE: Air Canada Plane Wheel Falls Off After Landing YYZ

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:21 am

YYZYYT wrote:
Quoting Skydrol (Reply 1):Strange for it to be a 72 passenger airplane. I always thought Jazz used the 37 seat Dash 8-100 series for the Northern Ontario / North Bay, Timmins, Sudbury flights. Maybe they have added Q400 service to those routes now...
I spent several years shuttling back and forth to YYB, never saw anything but a Dash 8-100 (a quick look at the website shows that hasn't changed). Also, I can think of a handful of flights that reached 50% full.

So I'd guess media exaggeration: ie, someone who concluded that a Dash 8 CAN hold 72 passengers... so the story becomes that there WERE 72 passengers on board, who were of course lucky to "escape injury".

There were 72 passenger on that plane i was one of them, the plane that lose the wheel was from timmins going to toronto, it was NOT supposed to land in North Bay. Something was wrong with the aircraft in north bay and the Timmins to toronto flight had a fair bit of open seats, so they picked up passenger from north bay going to toronto

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos