Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seansasLCY
Topic Author

BA In Talks With IndiGo.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Apparently BA/IAG is in talks with Indian carrier IndiGo about partnering up. This would be good after Oneworld lost Kingfisher.

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/Rp...tish-Airways-for-alliance-WSJ.html

AIR MALTA

RE: BA In Talks With IndiGo.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:43 pm

BA have tried to to reach a franchise agreement with Go air but that never materialized. After the Kingfisher disaster, hopefully this one will work better.

jumpjets

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Lets hope that IndiGo is more financially sound than Kingfisher and that should real progress be made there won't be an 11th hour crisis and the whole thing crumbles.

I just scanned the Wikipedia article on IndiGo [ok perhaps not the best source] and it talks of 'scathing attacks' by the regulator on potential safety issues arising out of rapid growth - lets hope those are resolved and that rapid expansion hasn't left them financially stretched.

ClassicLover

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 2):
Lets hope that IndiGo is more financially sound than Kingfisher and that should real progress be made there won't be an 11th hour crisis and the whole thing crumbles.

It looks a lot better run anyway - one fleet type, biggest airline in India, all low cost, international service with the existing fleet. It doesn't look like a Kingfisher!!!  

VTORD

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 1):
BA have tried to to reach a franchise agreement with Go air but that never materialized.

I was not aware of this but having flown Indigo within India quite a few times, I would say this is a better choice since they have more reach domestically than Go Air. So I guess if BA can offer good connections.....

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 2):
Lets hope that IndiGo is more financially sound than Kingfisher
Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 3):
It looks a lot better run anyway - one fleet type,

They are....their fleet is all A320, and they are pretty much on time and on-ground as well as in-air service is pretty efficient. Right now their market share in India is about 27% and have not checked lately but remember reading sometime ago that they were the only airline that made money in India last year.....

cricket

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 am

Great news, BA needs better connectivity within India after Kingfisher's demise as KFA offered them additional points in India. The main point will be that Indigo will likely operate from different terminals than BA - at least in DEL and BOM (once BOM's new terminal is complete) - BA's two biggest markets in India.

PM

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:53 am

Excellent. I haven't (yet) flown IndiGo but I hear only good things about them.

They also have a number of international routes. I wonder if they'd be included too.

I hope this happens. I need a oneworld airline in my backyard.

Azure

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:18 am

It would be quite a smart move from BA. Indigo has been growing quite rapidly and it is the only profitable airlines in India...

Milka

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:52 pm

I flew them 2 weeks ago between Dehli and Pune. They seem to be the only indian airline on time, at least the every single other flight that day was delayed just indigo flights were leaving on time, I heard from a guy who knows the owner that they bribe ATC to get off the ground on time.

As to the aircraft themselves, I heard they did some corner cutting with maintenance but are able to hide it because their average plane is 2 years old and all their planes look top notch. I can't quote any sources, all my info is word of mouth, but I know some very rich people in India and they know everyone else who matters over there.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Quoting Milka (Reply 8):

I heard they did some corner cutting with maintenance but are able to hide it because their average plane is 2 years old and all their planes look top notch.

Well... doesn't really matter how old the airplane is. Enough of the wrong kind of corner cutting (which in aircraft maintenance pretty much means "any" corner cutting), and there will be serious problems in the near future. I hope your friend was referring to cleaning services...

cricket

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm

OK, just spoke to Tarun Shukla who filed the story and he told me that this was just a speculative story on WSJ which he had followed up and on further investigation appears to be untrue

jumpjets

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm

There is an article in India Today which references possible shortcuts at several Indian airlines including IndiGo.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i...nes-flout-norms-dgca/1/167838.html

It refers to a Director General of Civil Aviation [DGCA] report. I don't know if India Today is a reliable source or whether the DGCA reports are public so we could read it and decide for ourselves.

On the basis that DGCA comments are public knowledge one would hope BA would have checked out the report and how IndoGo was responding before deciding to enter discussions about a partnership of any kind with them.

Nimish

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I wonder why BA would invest in an Indian LCC - or in India at all. Not like there's pots of money to be made (most of the Indian industry is loss making), or the environment is investor/growth friendly (it's the opposite of that), or there's massive synergies possible with a player like 6E (hardly). And with the govt still treating aviation as a milch cow - I doubt if anyone other than the gulf carriers would look seriously at an India investment.

VIDP

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:36 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 12):
I wonder why BA would invest in an Indian LCC - or in India at all

Exactly the only advantage of flying indigo is that you would reach your destination on time. Their inflight service/meals are garbage/non exsistant. One of the probable reasons why their DEL-SIN flights failed badly in the end they are dumping their capacity in MAA-SIN ( which is much shorter) and a tried tested route as alot of traffic in this one.

spud757

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 pm

Can't see BA premium seat passengers being happy about domestic connections on an LCC. Unless an investment by IAG would include plans for IndiGo to become a hybrid LCC (e.g. BE style); lounge access, drinks/snacks onboard etc.

Wouldn't BA be better developing a closer relationship (JV even) with QR (once in OWA) to carry passengers to/from Indian destinations BA doesn't serve, that QR does, via DOH? That way all passengers get full service all the way.

Likewise, as an alternative to or in addition to QR, could UL (within OWA) over CMB offer BA anything to/from parts of India? Don't really know much about ULs regional connections with India to comment.

HAWK21M

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:31 am

Quoting Milka (Reply 8):
They seem to be the only indian airline on time, at least the every single other flight that day was delayed just indigo flights were leaving on time, I heard from a guy who knows the owner that they bribe ATC to get off the ground on time.

The reason for their OTP is because they start planning for 25-30 mins prior its STD.No other reason....  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos