Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Etihad - Jet Airways Deal Finalized?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:15 am

Looks like 9W will be announcing the deal early February.
Everything seems to be finalized or will be finalized next week.

There is also talk about moving operations from BRU to MUC.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ng-closer/articleshow/18186783.cms

aeroblogger

RE: Etihad - Jet Airways Deal Finalized?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 am

No, the deal is not finalized.

Alsatian

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 pm

According to Pros du Tourisme today, Etihad will get 24% stake in Jet Airways but any date quoted. It is already considered moving the European hub from BRU to CDG.

In french : Jet Airways devient la partenaire indienne d’Air France (Jet Airways becomes the Air France' s Indian partner)

tomcat

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Quoting Alsatian (Reply 2):
It is already considered moving the European hub from BRU to CDG.

Would it make sense for 9W to maintain a hub in Europe? I would think that given the existing offer of AF in India and in North America, a simple capacity optimization would do the job.

MaverickM11

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Quoting tomcat (Reply 3):
Would it make sense for 9W to maintain a hub in Europe

Of course not. It never did in the first place. A strong codeshare with a European partner would have been less costly from the get go, *or* invest in nonstop service to the US/Canada and a strong partnership there.

VTORD

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:50 am

Quoting Alsatian (Reply 2):
It is already considered moving the European hub from BRU to CDG
Quoting tomcat (Reply 3):
I would think that given the existing offer of AF in India

Does this indicate 9W moving closer to Sky Team given that AF-KL/DL code share is so strong? I don't know how it works for other airports, but I think ORD-CDG is going to go DL year round pretty soon and AMS-BOM is already DL, so may be this allows 9W to sell tickets to these destinations without using their own metal? Didn't DL just end their "partnership" with 9W?

I know that the EY website lists AA as their North America partner but with QR set to join OW and begin service to ORD, and all the buzz about *A's reservations against Middle East airlines does that push EY and 9W by way of this deal towards Sky Team?

VIDP

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 am

The EY delegation was also meeting the commerce minister at Davos in relation to the subject development.

ytz

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

I don't get why people think that EY's investment will make 9W their b***h.

It's not a majority stake. 9W will have to respond to EY's concerns to be sure. But I highly doubt the other shareholders will want 9W subordinated to EY's whims entirely.

EddieDude

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 pm

Quoting VTORD (Reply 5):
Does this indicate 9W moving closer to Sky Team

It is possible. DL, AF and KL invited 9W to join their trans-Atlantic joint venture. Considering that 9W is now the Indian partner of AF according to the article that Alsatian kindly shared, it sounds reasonable to make such assumption. The aforementioned article states it that way: "Une entrée dans SkyTeam devrait, logiquement, suivre" (entry into SkyTeam should logically follow).

Quoting VTORD (Reply 5):
I know that the EY website lists AA as their North America partner but with QR set to join OW and begin service to ORD, and all the buzz about *A's reservations against Middle East airlines does that push EY and 9W by way of this deal towards Sky Team?

I think EY and AA will unwind their relationship and AA will cooperate now with QR now that it will be a oneworld member. EY has gotten cozy with AF and KL, and it has been long speculated that EY will sooner or later apply for SkyTeam membership.

Quoting VTORD (Reply 5):
Didn't DL just end their "partnership" with 9W

Was this inherited from NW or is it something that the post-merger DL negotiated with 9W? I suppose they will end up reinstating their relationship if 9W is to become a SkyTeam member. By the same token, I would expect to see DL and EY cooperating.

Quoting ytz (Reply 7):
I don't get why people think that EY's investment will make 9W their b***h. It's not a majority stake. 9W will have to respond to EY's concerns to be sure. But I highly doubt the other shareholders will want 9W subordinated to EY's whims entirely.

You are very right, but a 24% stake gives the investor some degree of significant influence. In any case, I think one should not look at this deal as a mere 24% investment. Part of the understandings among Mr. Goyash, 9W and EY probably include topics such as alliance membership pursuit, codeshare and mileage partnerships, etc. It would be naïve to think that EY will try to push its agenda unilaterally with a mere 24% stake and without some degree of understanding with Goyash re: SkyTeam vs. Star Alliance, the European hub move or dehubbing, etc.

Alsatian

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:05 pm

A little bit off topic but interesting : Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways will wet-lease an Air France Airbus A340-300 for use on the Paris-Abu Dhabi route from May 15 to November 30.

Etihad wet leases Air France aircraft

LJ

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Quoting Alsatian (Reply 10):
A little bit off topic but interesting : Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways will wet-lease an Air France Airbus A340-300 for use on the Paris-Abu Dhabi route from May 15 to November 30.

Also off topic (but almost the same as what you report), KL will lease out (wetlease) a B747-400ERF to Etihad Cargo.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 9):
You are very right, but a 24% stake gives the investor some degree of significant influence. In any case, I think one should not look at this deal as a mere 24% investment

Wasn't there also talk about a loan to 9W (similar to what EY did with AB)?

aerolover27

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Hopefully, we will have answer to this deal by next week as per latest reports

http://www.thehindu.com/business/com...ng-stake-in-jet/article4378904.ece

mozart

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Quoting Alsatian (Reply 10):

Etihad wet leases Air France aircraft

They are kidding, right? AF's A340 have an absolutely catastrophic Business Class cabin compared to Etihad's extremely fine Pearl Business Class (EY has lie-flat seats, AF has the old NEV2 seats which are not lie-flat). First Class isn't even offered on the AF jet. This is really      

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos