nef
Topic Author

W6 Move Glasgow Services To GLA From PIK

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:06 pm

W6 are moving thier PIK-Warsaw and PIK-GDN services to GLA from 1 March this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-21228661

A good win for GLA, filling a big hole in thier route network and positive to read of possible "future passenger and route growth". Not so good for PIK though, especially with the "for sale" sign over the front door.

shufflemoomin

RE: W6 Move Glasgow Services To GLA From PIK

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Does that leave Ryanair as the only scheduled passenger service from stwick (PIK / EGPK), United Kingdom">PIK?

EDIT: Sorry, I should read the article before posting.

[Edited 2013-01-28 07:12:28]

nighthawk

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 1):
EDIT: Sorry, I should read the article before posting.

yes, it does leave just Ryanair at PIK.

This is a major blow for PIK, if they cannot keep Wizzair at the airport, then what hope do they have of attracting any new carrier to the airport! They are now solely dependent on Ryanair, which is far from a good thing.

Any possible sale of PIK has just became even less likely than before.

shufflemoomin

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm

I thought Wizzair accounted for a tiny percentage of movements at PIK? I just don't see how the airport is making money. It sits deserted for the majority of the day. I'm sure the land it's on must be worth considerably more than the airport as a business is. As sad as I find it, I think its days are numbered.

skipness1E

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm

shufflemoomin thats an over simplification. Infratil have a business model that added a load of costs to Prestwick and generated no revenue. Ryanair will have one of their busiest summers in 2013 but will close to a fraction of that in winter. It's a seasonal market, as it always was at PIK with the exception of the few years they had the Ryanair city routes before the move to EDI.
The airport remains busy, www.egpk.co.uk is a guide to are how active it can be. The key issue is loss of cargo revenue in recent years and the collapse of Seguro holidays. It's possible to make money on less traffic than they have now, it was done well before Infratil came along.
Traffic is never dull!! As to the value of the land, the airfield is rightly seen by most as a strategic asset, a sale and closure is not straightforward.

gkirk

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 am

Still plenty of military movements, Cargolux and Air France Cargo are regular, as well as fuelstops from CargoJet on their way from Canada to Warsaw.
Training flights also account for a number of movements from the likes of BA and Monarch. Maintenance for Ryanair and BA short haul is also done on a regular basis.

Whilst it's a blow for PIK pax services, the airport can still offer good facilities for other aspects
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

shufflemoomin

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am

I'm well aware of the situation with PIK. Before I left the country, I lived close by and was taken to watch aircraft many times as a kid. There's almost no point in going spotting at PIK any more since there's a chance all you'll see are Ryanair 737, a tiny chance you'll catch something decent and a pretty big chance you'll experience nothing but the birds chirping. I'm not sure how the movements website was supposed to prove otherwise. January has an average of under 10 movements a day and there's days there where there's been one or two. I ask again: where exactly is it's revenue coming from? Even if someone with better management skills than you claim Infratil came along, what would generate their income? Ryanair, a few cargo and nightstops per week are going to generate enough to drive an airport like that into profit?

SKAirbus

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 am

GLA has everything going for it due to its location. I'm pretty sure FR would move there if they could secure a good enough deal from BAA.
Base: BRU

skipness1E

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 am

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 6):
There's almost no point in going spotting at PIK any more since there's a chance all you'll see are Ryanair 737
http://www.egpk.co.uk/
Seriously, just go and have a wee look. Really. Most days have at least one stand out movement. Also this is only a spotters website, actual daily movements are much higher of course.
I sent you the link to the movements website as it gives an idea of why it's worth spotting at PIK. I don't have to look far to see some gems, indeed the USAF B737 on the front page is a stand out in itself. PIK traditionally gets some very interesting traffic

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 6):
Even if someone with better management skills than you claim Infratil came along, what would generate their income? Ryanair, a few cargo and nightstops per week are going to generate enough to drive an airport like that into profit?

It was enough in the past, indeed they made money before Ryanair. As I said, Infratil sent the low cost base heading skywards and as a result when the downturn in cargo hit, profts vanished. Income is driven by cargo, tech stops and training flights, that's it. You say you can't see it happening, I point out it already has happened and people on site know how to do it. The key issue was Infratil adding costs to the business which is borderline at best. They did a Gordon Brown and assumed the good times would roll. btw if you did spend time spotting at PIK I probably know you  

simpsondude

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 7):
GLA has everything going for it due to its location. I'm pretty sure FR would move there if they could secure a good enough deal from BAA

Weren't FR negotiating a base in GLA a while back? I assume BAA didn't give them as low a price as they wanted.

skipness1E

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Quoting simpsondude (Reply 9):
Weren't FR negotiating a base in GLA a while back? I assume BAA didn't give them as low a price as they wanted.

Given they fly from PIK for next to zero not sure how GLA actually could....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos