kaitak
Topic Author

RE: Irish 2/13: February Made Me Shiver ...

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Quoting bx737 (Reply 149):
I know, no Internet.....we had to go to the Aviation Society of Ireland meetings once a month in Wynns hotel to keep up to speed with aviation news in Ireland. That's where I first met Kaitak.

I remember it well - and Shell House in Hatch Street, before that! (I think we even had a meeting in Liberty Hall at one stage!) It was great to catch up with everyone and as you say, keep up with developments in Irish aviation; I remember that's where I first heard Aer Lingus was getting 330s!

We used to have great speakers as well; one was a KLM captain who lived in Dublin, a 744 t/captain. There was EI's fleet manager at the time and one of his colleagues ... oh what's this his name was ... Alan something. Went to Australia and no one ever heard from him again   (No, seriously, it was Alan Joyce!)

It's a real pity the ASI folded; I really enjoyed being part of it.

Nibog

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 150):
It's a real pity the ASI folded; I really enjoyed being part of it.

Never knew that !!,and I was a member for years,in fact i still have copies of Aviation Ireland,I have just pulled one out and see a photo of EI-JFK of "Vacations Ireland" on departure from SNN to BFS!!!!.I got to know the treasurer as well,in fact had him on board the USS JFK when she visited!!!!. It was a great monthly read!!!!

bx737

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Unfortunately ASI has fallen by the wayside, I have quite a number of their mags, including a those with articles written by me. They had a great magazine for the 60th anniversary of EI and they did a great article for FR on their 10th anniversary. This coincided with their introduction of the Boeing 737-200 which replaced the 1-11s, but that is another days chat

DavecFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:58 am

Folks,

Does anyone have an address or number for a complaints department at Aer Lingus? The website doesn't list one...

I've just been booted out of Gold Circle over a mistake that they made and refuse to acknowledge. Absolutely shocking customer service and I really need someone to listen to my case.

DaveC
ei,sf,fr,amm,cc,wx,bd,ba,ok,ua,ma,ay,re,cx,qf,fj,as,ac,az,adh,fua,ib,aww,km,aa,vs,nw,skb,cli,ne,kl,sa,ek,fi,lh,sn,af,qi,

Toulouse

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 pm

DaveC,

As they constantly forget to add my points (despite my doing what I'm supposed to to have points automatically logged), I always directly contact Gold Circle and to be honest, they're usually very quick in responding and resolving any issues I have.

I always send to these two email addressed just to be safe:
[email protected],
[email protected]

Good luck!
Long live Aer Lingus!

DavecFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Toulouse - thanks - been through them already and to no avail.

I queried my balance in December and was told 1,800 with a year end of end -Feb 2013.

I then made it my business to get 600 points before end February to maintain status (which I did). However, it now turns out that they gave me the wrong balance back then and I'm now still short. I've pointed out that it was their error and I asked them in good faith but they won't budge and I lose my Gold Circle status now next week.

Been through 4 different people and an escalation but they won't move on this and won't admit that they made a mistake.
ei,sf,fr,amm,cc,wx,bd,ba,ok,ua,ma,ay,re,cx,qf,fj,as,ac,az,adh,fua,ib,aww,km,aa,vs,nw,skb,cli,ne,kl,sa,ek,fi,lh,sn,af,qi,

Toulouse

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Wow Dave,

I'm a huge supporter of EI but that is awful customer service. I know this may be an obvious question, but did you talk to them by phone when you queried your balance or do it by email (would be great if it were by email as you have written evidence of their error).

Also, I know it's a bit of a painstaking task, but are you sure you were awarded all your points. I go through all my bookings every few months, and it's no exaggeration when I say I discover at a significant number of flights I booked in eligible class which were never added on. When I last queried my balance with them, also towards the end of 2012, I had a total just around 6000 points and saying of that number I'd only accrued some 1000 of them in the past year. After going though all my tickets, they added all the points they hadn't logged, and this brought my balance to over 8000 points! So I was also close to losing status as well had I not done all that.

I'm really sorry to hear about this anyway, and hope you can get it resolved.
Long live Aer Lingus!

DavecFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 156):
I'm a huge supporter of EI but that is awful customer service. I know this may be an obvious question, but did you talk to them by phone when you queried your balance or do it by email (would be great if it were by email as you have written evidence of their error).

That is the galling thing - I have it on email and signed and everything by one particular person who now won't acknowledge the mistake. Just keeps responding with the same boilerplate answer...

Calling is a nightmare as you regularly have to wait on hold for upwards of 30 minutes to get through.

Yeah - checked through all the flights - and right now I am a measly 100 points short when I thought I was at the level required.

Btw - another trick I've found out this past week is that EIR flights cannot be added via the online form as you don't receive the ticket number as part of your booking email.

The whole GC thing really needs to be sorted out.

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread - I'll fight this one onwards.

ClassicLover

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 154):
As they constantly forget to add my points (despite my doing what I'm supposed to to have points automatically logged), I always directly contact Gold Circle and to be honest, they're usually very quick in responding and resolving any issues I have.

Yes, they tend to be okay generally for simply things.

What I don't get is that this far into having the Plus Fares, you still need to claim all your Plus Fare GC points manually online. It sounds like their IT systems are still lacking very much in certain customer facing areas.

Another example is if you have a Corporate login. You're supposed to get a statement each month of a list of all the flights and how much your spend was via e-mail in an Excel spreadsheet. At my previous employment we went six months without an update despite repeated requests (and no e-mail reply to those repeated requests either).

Eventually we got it (after saying out CFO was demanding it) and were told that due to changes in staffing they were having resource issues in producing the reports, along with apologies of course. Clearly they are being done manually and not automatically, which in this day and age you'd think would be easy.

What should be published, but isn't, is how many points you earn on BA and QF and so on. I was looking at whether I'd put my points in BA on EI for some flights via LHR to the US, and called Gold Circle and she read them off a spreadsheet they have internally which seems to be divided by route and class. I would have received 400 odd points for LHR-IAD in World Traveller plus on EI, so I put them into the BA programme instead as the redemption opportunities are a lot more.

My view at this stage is that Aer Lingus should just revamp Gold Circle to be an extension of the IAG Avios programme with BA and IB, so you can earn and burn on the three airlines plus EIs other partners. I guess it's not possible though thanks to EI having left oneworld.

Quoting DavecFlyer (Reply 157):
Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread - I'll fight this one onwards.

Update us when you hear - considering they gave GC access to loads of BMI Blue card holders and since you're clearly a regular flyer, you'd think with a 100 point discrepancy that they'd comp you over the line. I have a feeling that a lot of the people who work in GC have been there since they were Government employed, as they certainly have that mentality at times!

Meanwhile, I had the pleasure of flying BA DUB-LHR in Club Europe the other night. Despite the slightly unfortunate BMI seating (they still use the old BMI aircraft on the route), the food was great, the champagne was delicious and the cabin service was immaculate. The food was a salad with beetroot, goats cheese, peppers, and so on and a chocolate mousse for dessert. Load was 7 out of 16 in Club.

There was a one hour 40 minute delay though as the aircraft had gone tech and not one announcement at the gate from the Servisair people. The DAA lounge staff kept everyone well appraised until it closed at 2000 though. Lots of irate people unfortunately. When we got to LHR we were on a remote stand and bussed to T1 - which made some people actually yell at the poor bus driver as it was the last straw for them! Also, the DAA lounge was packed - about 7/8ths full - and when the flight before ours left, half the people in the lounge were BA frequent flyers - and the half remaining were on my flight. I'd love to know how many people have switched from Aer Lingus.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 158):
What I don't get is that this far into having the Plus Fares, you still need to claim all your Plus Fare GC points manually online. It sounds like their IT systems are still lacking very much in certain customer facing areas.

Indeed Ive close to given up their IT and back up customer service with regards to these issues are terrible. Its such a shame as at the airport itself and EI ground/lounge staff do all they can to accomodate and go the extra mile in my experiences.

you'd think with a 100 point discrepancy that they'd comp you over the line.

Indeed it seems they try to shed the number of people renewing rather than encourage it.

There was a one hour 40 minute delay though as the aircraft had gone tech and not one announcement at the gate from the Servisair people. The DAA lounge staff kept everyone well appraised until it closed at 2000 though. Lots of irate people unfortunately.

Servisair are a nightmare when it comes to knowing how to operate the BA product at DUB. They have not got a clue. Standing watching them at the gate with bits of paper crossed out old info and not knowing the current proceedures is quite amusing if not a bit worrying. Do they not have staff training! The tech issues and delays still haunt DUB. BHD on the other hand have it alot more on par with what the experience should be.

[email protected]

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Quoting DavecFlyer (Reply 157):
one particular person who now won't acknowledge the mistake.

This bit sounds like Dave Carroll's experience with his guitar on UA. And we all know what did.   I'll look forward to your creation going viral. 
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ClassicLover

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:40 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 159):
Its such a shame as at the airport itself and EI ground/lounge staff do all they can to accomodate and go the extra mile in my experiences.

They do indeed, they're all exceptional.

Indeed it seems they try to shed the number of people renewing rather than encourage it.

Sure looks like it!

Servisair are a nightmare when it comes to knowing how to operate the BA product at DUB. They have not got a clue. Standing watching them at the gate with bits of paper crossed out old info and not knowing the current proceedures is quite amusing if not a bit worrying

I know - they didn't pre-board or anything. The microphone cut out part way through the announcement, so she just looked at it, put it down and it was then a free for all. Oh well. They made up for it on board!

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 160):
This bit sounds like Dave Carroll's experience with his guitar on UA. And we all know what did. I'll look forward to your creation going viral

Now that would be fun to see  

Irishbean

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 am

Re the serviceair staff at Dublin , I have used BA 4 times over last 3 months, from Dublin connecting onto a first class ticket in LHR, the staff are not just completely useless, but very rude. They have no idea that you can connect bags from one BA flight to another, even on 2 tickets, and are so rude about it. No idea of allowances fro gold customers, Last time I checked in; the same check in girl said 'you, I remember you, I had you a few weeks ago causing issues as well' like what???? I'm a first class, gold guest list BA customer, and would like my bag checked on to my final BA destination. Unbelievable! I have contacted BA about ti a few times, and suggest anyone else what similar issues do the same, as BA did appear to be 'concerned' about Dublin.

ClassicLover

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:55 am

Quoting irishbean (Reply 162):
Last time I checked in; the same check in girl said 'you, I remember you, I had you a few weeks ago causing issues as well' like what????

Oh my god, that's deplorable!

OA260

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:44 am

Last time I checked in; the same check in girl said 'you, I remember you, I had you a few weeks ago causing issues as well'

Well if it was not in a friendly joking manner it is certainly not how a customer should be addressed. The problem with Servisair is that they have a lot of new faces who know nothing about the travel industry and for them its just another job to stay off the dole. No interest in the product or trying to go the extra mile. That's the big difference between EI and BA at DUB. Shame they could not have come to an agreement to use T2 with EI checking in BA flights and lounge access for FF also. With the code shares it would have made sense. BA could have still used the B Gates if gate space was an issue.

At BHD a lot of the check in staff are former BMI and they have experience. The staff are friendly and cheerful and even if they cant do something they deliver the news with empathy.

BA did appear to be 'concerned' about Dublin.

Indeed that was conveyed to me in an issue I had over the Christmas period. BA were very quick to do damage recovery.

shamrock321

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Quite sad to hear about the BA and Servisair problem, as I used to work for them but now the other! I wonder if it's a case of the staff not been giving the information they need? No excuse for addressing a gold card holder in a such a way however!

I did notice BA sent an BA original BA A320 to DUB recently G-EUUG instead of an ex bmi aircraft, I'm sure this was pulled from the T3 operation due to a tech aircraft or something.

Hopefully DUB and BHD get moved to T5 at sme stage so DUB can have the entire BA experience on offer!

OA260

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 165):
Quite sad to hear about the BA and Servisair problem, as I used to work for them but now the other! I wonder if it's a case of the staff not been giving the information they need? No excuse for addressing a gold card holder in a such a way however!

Indeed I have noticed some of the older faces with experience in T2. Maybe they have moved the Crème de la crème to cover the EY contract or similar. I cant imagine them tolerating their top tiers being treated like that.

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 165):
Hopefully DUB and BHD get moved to T5 at sme stage so DUB can have the entire BA experience on offer!

Well that would be ideal and improve the transfer T1-T5 . 14 flights with BA over the last 3 months cant believe how much my pattern has changed but with the perks and easy connections BA-BA its nearly always been the best route. Plus the T5 F Lounge is very acceptable   I did not have any issues with the T1-T5 transfer though as I always give myself plenty of time and it was quicker than I thought it would be. I usually hop onto the Heathrow Express and it seems quicker but more walking.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:00 pm

Today's RE3673 EDI-SNN flight has been diverted to ORK for some reason...due to arrive there any minute now. Not sure why though, winds are calm and Flightradar24 tells me a Thomson Airways 73H from Lanzarote (flight BY1761) landed at SNN just a few minutes ago...any ideas anyone?

BrianDromey

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 167):
Today's RE3673 EDI-SNN flight has been diverted to ORK for some reason...due to arrive there any minute now. Not sure why though, winds are calm and Flightradar24 tells me a Thomson Airways 73H from Lanzarote (flight BY1761) landed at SNN just a few minutes ago...any ideas anyone?

Wonder if it is a technical problem with the aircraft, or possibly a crew issue. AFAIK the EDI flights (certainly on a SUN) are operated by ORK aircraft and crew, so possibly related to crew, as one would imagine RE has maintenance facilities at SNN.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 168):
Wonder if it is a technical problem with the aircraft, or possibly a crew issue. AFAIK the EDI flights (certainly on a SUN) are operated by ORK aircraft and crew, so possibly related to crew, as one would imagine RE has maintenance facilities at SNN.

Say no more - crosswinds...which is strange as I'm 30 minutes from SNN now and it's completely calm. I had a friend on board who said they attempted to land twice and then diverted. The return flight (RE3676) will now depart from ORK and passengers are being bussed down from SNN. New ETA of 20:30 in EDI or a delay of over four hours in all.

shamrocka330

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Anyone know why there's a Lufthansa A340 parked at the B pier in DUB now?
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

EIBusiness

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Yes, they tend to be okay generally for simply things.

The relevant leaders in Customer Service, IT etc. are all aware of this issue now with over 8 months, right up to Executive level. Being honest - I think that this borders false advertising? It is entirely unacceptable that a benefit which is guaranteed as part of the product purchase is continuously not accruing without intervention on the part of the customer.

At this point - I can only think that Aer Lingus is happy to allow the non-accrual continue, given that such an outcome is markedly reducing the deferred revenue (provision) associated with each non-accrued PLUS fare and that such an outcome is preventing many passengers from crossing the qualification threshold (thus eliminating associated costs were they to actually qualify). What other rationale can there be - when this problem was flagged so long ago?

Perhaps most unfair is that passengers such as Dave are spending a lot of money with EI and not receiving their duly owed qualification in the GC programme - while the company happily matched multiple bogus BMI accounts only some months back.

EIBusiness

[Edited 2013-02-17 08:21:01]
Vivo Per Lei...

aerdingus

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Quoting shamrocka330 (Reply 170):
Anyone know why there's a Lufthansa A340 parked at the B pier in DUB now?

It was arriving from YYZ, & I think it is to do with crew hours after an incident.

More info here:

Lufthansa A340 At YYZ: Engine Smoke (by JAGflyer Feb 16 2013 in Civil Aviation)
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

EireRock

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:59 pm

I see Orbest has recently fallen into some financial difficulty, as far as i know they were due to operate Summer charters again this year at DUB. Any news on who might be covering for them or is it a little early? I imagine tour operators are scrambling for airlines to replace them.

Nice airline BTW, the crew were always very nice when dealing with them last year. Nice A320's which were well looked after. Such a shame to see an airline like that fail by the wayside.

Clydenairways

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 am

Quoting EireRock (Reply 173):
I see Orbest has recently fallen into some financial difficulty, as far as i know they were due to operate Summer charters again this year at DUB. Any news on who might be covering for them or is it a little early? I imagine tour operators are scrambling for airlines to replace them.

Nice airline BTW, the crew were always very nice when dealing with them last year. Nice A320's which were well looked after. Such a shame to see an airline like that fail by the wayside.

I'm sure there is plenty of capacity within the EU to fill in the gap at short notice, though i hope Air Contractors pick up the business through their Airpost charter operation, so we can get some more jobs here in Ireland. .

OA260

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:06 am

Quoting EireRock (Reply 173):
Any news on who might be covering for them or is it a little early? I imagine tour operators are scrambling for airlines to replace them.

Tour operators such as TC still have them loaded in as IWD flights for the likes of PMI etc...

keegd76

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 am

As some of you may already know, a BA 744 (G-CIVS I think) flew into BFS on Friday on a training flight.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any photos (although a fellow snapper did) but I was wondering could this be a regular thing and if so is it possible to get a heads-up on when they are due?
Nothing comes down faster than a VTOL aircraft upside down.

Eagleboy

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:47 am

If it was a training flgiht then it will probably not show up on the normal BFS arrivals list. But as always dedicated spotters have access to or contacts who can get the info from ATC/flight planning.

Flightradar24 and the like will most probably not give enough notice.

JAmie2k9

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 am

Thomson are most likely to take most of the Orbest flights, they will probaly base a second aircraft again this summer but another operator will be needed for some flights. Plenty of them around so shouldn't be a problem.

DavecFlyer

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Update us when you hear - considering they gave GC access to loads of BMI Blue card holders and since you're clearly a regular flyer, you'd think with a 100 point discrepancy that they'd comp you over the line.

Well folks - bit of an update on this situation. Thanks for all the personal messages btw.

So while I was pondering my next move I've received an email this afternoon to confirm that they have ordered me a new card and I am accepted back into the club for another year. Sincere apologies are offered for the inconvenience caused. There is no direct acknowledgement of their error but thankfully it has been sorted out without any further action necessary.

OA260

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Quoting DavecFlyer (Reply 179):
There is no direct acknowledgement of their error but thankfully it has been sorted out without any further action necessary.

Seems like the usual case of getting past the ''computer says no'' red tape ! Anyway at least your sorted. Let the stress begin in another 11 months  

----

Tunis Air operating charters DUB-NBE on behalf of TC . Saturdays ex DUB at 2145 . Might get to see it in the longer Summer evenings.

OA260

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Still hard to get used to Aer Lingus at BHD but great to see.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/065DD6A8-E279-4C8B-8DC8-529A39188D78-3011-000001ABECF9B5F7_zps6d8b931f.jpg

Some diversions to BFS and cancellations this morning due to fog at BHD. One flight operated back to T5! I was lucky and my afternoon flight went ok. Exceptional service on todays BA BHD-LHR flight. Load was around 60%.

Dublinspotter

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi

It is great to see EI at BHD, I hope they get the chance to expand more, and hope they stay at BHD unlike WW, who were there for a matter of months, it would be nice to see EI be BHD version to the intl's EZY....

They must be doing well to be opening up a code of European routes  

Dublinspotter  
Dublinspotter

Jambost

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Green shamrocks really do stand out in BHD, long may it last! Hope to see some atr's operating there soon.

Quoting Dublinspotter (Reply 182):
BHD unlike WW,

Beyond their control really as LH sealed their fate, I do appreciate that WW with their dyeing breath tapped and revealed potential that BHD holds.
I do wonder if EI would have still made that unexpected move if WW remained in BFS?
Where is McFly and the doc when you need em!

[Edited 2013-02-19 09:03:25]
1APR14 Ireland Direct, A380,Equiped Irish Bar & Casino. All Y+ seating. Serving DUB-PER-SYD/MEL

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:13 pm

JetBlue has filed with the DOT to expand its relationship with Aer Lingus:

"JetBlue and Aer Lingus propose to commence free sale codesharing on April 1, 2013 via BOS and JFK gateways."

Can anyone tell me what "free sale codesharing is" and how it differs from the arrangement currently in place; does this mean that EI flights from BOS/JFK to Ireland (and back) will carry a B6 flight number (and likewise, B6 flights will carry EI codes?

This won't apply to all routes; there is a thread running on this at the moment, which lists the city pairs involved.

Clydenairways

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Lots of stuff about it in here.

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sect...sport/reports/airlinecodeshare.pdf

3.25 In a “freesale” code-share arrangement, the booking classes of the two airlines are
mapped, as described above. When a passenger tries to book on the marketing
carrier, a seat from the booking class relating to the fare being sold by the marketing
carrier needs to be allocated. The reservations system will try to access this booking
class, which will be automatically mapped to the corresponding booking class of the
operating carrier – if seats are available in this booking class on the relevant flight, a
booking can be made (otherwise it will be denied). In this way, the marketing and
operating carrier book into the same inventory of seats.

3.26 In a “block space” arrangement, the marketing carrier pre-arranges to reserve a given
number (“block”) of seats on the operating carrier’s flights. This may be an absolute
arrangement, whereby the marketing carrier purchases the block of seats at an agreed
price (called a “hard block”), or there may be an option to return some of the seats at
an agreed number of days before departure (“soft block”).

EIDAA

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:51 am

Morning all,

I ended up on one of the former BMI mid-haul A321s last night on the BA 842 from LHR to DUB. Although I was down the back this time, I must say I was impressed by the custom J cabin on those aircraft. I know these aircraft run on the likes of the TLV route ex-LHR, but how often is the A321 now scheduled into Dublin? Was this just a lucky substitution or do they now make a regular appearance?

Incidentally, on Monday I flew on EI-DEB for the 12th time, my most flown EI aircraft. It seems to follow me around! It would be nice to get a new reg at some point. Only 2xA319s, 2xA320s and 2x A330s not flown in the fleet at this point, so it's quite rare to get a new one.
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

AmricanShamrok

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm

EI is to formally move in with B6 at JFK T5 on 3rd April. They will likely share Gate 14 with HA. B6, EI and HA will be T5's sole tenants:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jetblu...-announce-codeshare-142700401.html

The new codeshare agreement will be implemented on this date too.

---

I note most west-bound transatlantic flights arrived (or will arrive) at their destinations about an hour early due to unusually strong tailwinds today:

BA1 - 57mins early
BA3 - 44mins early
DL91 - 43mins early
DL177 - 1hr, 12mins early
EI105 - 59mins early
EI109 - 1hr, 2mins early
EI121 - 58mins early
EI125 - 1hr, 4mins early
EI137 - 42mins early
UA23 - 5mins late
UA25 - 1hr, 5mins early
UA95 - 52mins early
US723 - 19mins early

[Edited 2013-02-21 11:12:32]

EIBusiness

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 187):
I note most west-bound transatlantic flights arrived (or will arrive) at their destinations about an hour early due to unusually strong tailwinds today:

This is a direct result of the significant disruption to the standard northern hemispheric pattern currently taking place over Northern Europe and the North Atlantic generally. At this time of the year (February) - the Atlantic often becomes ''quieter'' and High Latitude Blocking with a buckled jet flow becomes more likely.

Here in Ireland we will narrowly avoid a severe wintry outbreak in the coming 5 days and even at that - we will experience very cold Easterly winds as pressure falls to the south and a large-scale blocking high persists - centred between Scotland and Scandinavia. France, Germany, Northern Spain and the Benelux region generally are likely to experience widespread snowfalls.

Significant trough disruption associated with this pattern change allowed for the advection of warmer upper air aloft today Northwestwards across the Atlantic - hence generating these tailwinds.

EIBusiness

[Edited 2013-02-21 13:08:40]
Vivo Per Lei...

EIDL

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Multiple people on another forum claiming that EI are to wet lease (but provide cabin crew on) 757s to keep SNN US routes going this winter. Very interesting if true and could easily lead to an A321NEO order if it can be guaranteed to have the legs.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 189):

That would be great if true. EI have been increasingly edging towards expanding winter transatlantic ops from SNN with a shorter downtime this year. The 757(s) could also allow for daily flights to both JFK and BOS (BOS certainly) during the summer. I would mention ORD too but one carrier on SNN-ORD is probably enough.

nightfox365

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Would these 757's be painted in EI colours? Or just be left in the livery of their owner and just have EI titles? This is of course, if the rumour is true.
Flown on: bae146, bn2 islander, 741, A320, A321, A333, A332, MD80, 738, AT76, Cessna 150, Piper Cherokee.

irishair98

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Multiple people on another forum claiming that EI are to wet lease (but provide cabin crew on) 757s to keep SNN US routes going this winter. Very interesting if true and could easily lead to an A321NEO order if it can be guaranteed to have the legs.

and what forum is this from ?
Dún Na Ngall Abú!

Ire2008

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 pm

Ive heard contrary, that they are definetly NOT leasing any 757s and specifically stated NOT. I didnt even know it was on the table!

shamrock604

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 am

I've heard it too, and from 3 good sources.

3 to be wet leased apparently, but with EI cabin crews.

Clydenairways

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 194):
I've heard it too, and from 3 good sources.

3 to be wet leased apparently, but with EI cabin crews.

The pilot unions would be up in arms if they wet leased in THREE long haul aircraft. Surely they only need one to keep SNN TA services going?

Lease rates should be favorable during the off season too. Icelandair perhaps??

Eagleboy

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:49 am

Multiple people on another forum claiming that EI are to wet lease (but provide cabin crew on) 757s

Well I have read the discussion on boards.ie. It stems from 1 poster claiming that his mates works in the leasing company.

Looking at is logically it does make sense. The EI CEO has already indicated interest in the A321NEO over the last year or 2. No aircraft are on order. But we have seen that the A330 (while very good) is just too big for all possible routes. SNN ops over the winter for example. The A321NEO could allow EI to operate daily flights SNN to BOS and JFK, as well as perhaps an extra flight from DUB. EI could look at using the NEO to open new route before upgauging to an A330 (Top

tonymctigue

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:43 am

Quoting EagleBoy (Reply 196):
Looking at is logically it does make sense. The EI CEO has already indicated interest in the A321NEO over the last year or 2. No aircraft are on order. But we have seen that the A330 (while very good) is just too big for all possible routes. SNN ops over the winter for example. The A321NEO could allow EI to operate daily flights SNN to BOS and JFK, as well as perhaps an extra flight from DUB. EI could look at using the NEO to open new route before upgauging to an A330 (

I think that is EI are seriously considering ordering the A321NEO for thinner routes (i.e. transatlantic from SNN and perhaps some select destionations from DUB) then it would be a sensible move to lease a B757 and have a go to see if it works out rather than shelling out a load a money on a new aircraft type only to find out they cannot make it work and then being left stuck with it (there have been more than a few airraft type in the EI fleet in the past where that exact situation came up). If they can turn a profit on SNN-USA with a B757, then surely a nice new, efficient A321NEO would have no problems working for them. The US airlines have proven that the B757 sized aircraft is the ideal size for SNN-USA routes so there is no reason why EI shouldn't be able to make it work.

It would also be nice for us spotters to see a new aircraft type in EI colours. However, I will believe it when I see it. We've heard many a rumour that EI were looking to lease B757s for transatlantic flights from SNN, BFS and ORK and thus far it has never happened.

[Edited 2013-02-22 02:46:12]

[Edited 2013-02-22 02:47:02]
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

ClassicLover

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:58 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 197):
If they can turn a profit on SNN-USA with a B757, then surely a nice new, efficient A321NEO would have no problems working for them

Even then it doesn't have to "turn a profit". It may generate traffic and at the least give the executives concrete figures. It might be unprofitable with a 757 but very profitable with an A321neo, hence triggering an order. It would be interesting to see if this happens!

goldcrest

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:09 am

goldcrest From United Kingdom, joined Oct 2004, 136 posts, RR: 0
Reply 145, posted Tue Apr 6 2010 12:34:41 your local time (2 years 10 months 3 weeks 1 day 23 hours ago) and read 5826 times:

Given that EI have used wet leased aircraft previously ( ATA L1011, and the World MD11), wonder if they would ever look at a wet leased B757-200. This could be ideal for transatlantic ex ORK.

Wow....April 2010 i also had the same thoughts.......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos