Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gilesdavies
Topic Author

When Is Qatar Airways Coming To Birmingham (UK)?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 am

It was announced back in July last year by Al Bakar that QR were to launch a new BHX to DOH route...

It is now nearly seven months since this was announced, and in that time it has all gone extremely quiet!

There has been no announcement when the the route is likely to be launched, any details of schedule or it appearing on their booking system.

If you read other press releases on QR's website, when announcing a new route, they nearly always release the schedule and details when it can become bookable. There is nothing of this sort for BHX!

Has the route been quietly dropped?

raffik

RE: When Is Qatar Airways Coming To Birmingham (UK)?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 pm

The airline stated they would commence the service when they took delivery of more aircraft.
I am guessing any service would be by 787 and as we all know, they have been grounded and planned 787 services have been subbed by other aircraft (where possible)
We will have to wait and see what happens in the next few months or so
- Alec

migair54

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:28 pm

the grounding of the B787 has been terrible for QR, but they have stated officially that they will fly to BHX as soon as they can but i´m sure until the problem with the B787 is solved they won´t even announce the date.

LondonCity

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm

I would agree with what's been written above. The B787 delays will badly affect the ability of QR to add extra routes and who knows how long the grounding will go on for ?

BHX would seem to be a natural destination to add. EDI is another good possibility.

behramjee

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

BHX will be launched with a daily frequency using a split schedule with the B787s. Main target markets are ATQ, DEL, ISB, LHE, BKK, PEK, HKG, MNL, JED, DXB, KUL, CMB, DAC and BOM. In order to ensure that PAK, BOM and ATQ in particular are connected in both directions a minimum of 3 times per week, a split schedule is required.

Expected are four flights dep DOH at 0200 and three flights at 0750 each respectively.

gilesdavies
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Ohhh, so they are after a slice of the Indian Sub Continent traffic...

Thats becoming quite a competitive market from BHX, with EK, PK, TK and T5 all chasing the same markets! Plus you also have to a lessor extent the European flag carriers flying into BHX, feeding this traffic through their hubs too...

hammerb32

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:05 pm

True but that ATQ connection will be most key and apart from T5 will be pretty much competition free.

boysteve

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 4):
BHX will be launched with a daily frequency using a split schedule with the B787s

Fair enough, but will MAN go back to double daily before or not?

pnd100

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 am

Quoting behramjee (Reply 4):
In order to ensure that PAK, BOM and ATQ in particular are connected in both directions a minimum of 3 times per week, a split schedule is required.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this. Can someone please explain what a split schedule is?

behramjee

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 am

Split schedule in this case would mean for example four flights departing DOH at 0200 and three at 0750 or vice versa

pnd100

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 am

Quoting behramjee (Reply 9):

Split schedule in this case would mean for example four flights departing DOH at 0200 and three at 0750 or vice versa

Thanks for the quick response behramjee. So if I understand correctly a split schedule is a route which has a variance in timings but does not otherwise change, is that correct? What is the advantage in doing this? Is it due to other connections arriving at different times on different days?

On a personal note I enjoy reading your blog!

David_itl

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:48 am

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 10):
s it due to other connections arriving at different times on different days?

Yes - it minimises transit time both ways at DOH. Both EY and QR did the same at MAN when they 1st started.

gilesdavies
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 am

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 7):
Fair enough, but will MAN go back to double daily before or not?

Didn't realise QR only went back to a single daily service on the MAN-DOH route... I know they increased it to double daily as a counter measure after Emirates increased their routes to three times daily and Etihad increased the capacity on their route to a 77W, before reverting back to A330's but flying about 10 times weekly.

Seems like QR were the looser out of the Middle Eastern airlines flying out of MAN?!

But to be fair, Qatar Airways is struggling to grow with its current fleet size (until new aircraft arrive), and could well have deployed the second daily A330 on to another route that is more profitable. As the routes to the Middle East from UK regional airports are very competitive and probably more profitable routes can be used for the aircraft!

mainMAN

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:10 pm

Quoting GilesDavies (Reply 12):
Didn't realise QR only went back to a single daily service on the MAN-DOH route... I know they increased it to double daily as a counter measure after Emirates increased their routes to three times daily and Etihad increased the capacity on their route to a 77W, before reverting back to A330's but flying about 10 times weekly.
QR currently 10 weekly (twice on Wed, Fri, Sun). EY are twice daily.

(Edit - sorry, didn't mean to demean your post by simply correcting it! Not meant to be read like that..)

[Edited 2013-02-13 04:12:52]

gilesdavies
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 13):
QR currently 10 weekly (twice on Wed, Fri, Sun). EY are twice daily.

(Edit - sorry, didn't mean to demean your post by simply correcting it! Not meant to be read like that..)

Didn't take it in that way at all... Always more than happy to be corrected!

I did go to Qatar's booking website before I made the post, but typical the days I clicked on, only showed the daily rotation!

rutankrd

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Quoting GilesDavies (Reply 12):

Manchester is ten weekly with Qatar

Wednesday Friday and Sunday - Continue with two flights.1 no A333 and 1 no A332
Remaining days have a single A333.

All flights are on two class aircraft and to date has held up well .

Fact is QR have yet to reach a point with sufficient onward connections for several HUB banks at Doha. (Close but not there yet)

I have concerns that QR may be the subject of influences from their new found partners within OW that may lead to some disappointment particularly in BHX.
How many OW operators are there today ?

Manchester with Etihad is 14 weekly

All scheduled with A332 two class aircraft.

Manchester is an important operation for Etihad, and online maintenance is carried out during the afternoon rotation.
This sees regular upgrades to A333 A346 and even 77W aircraft as they rotate through the network.

Manchester with Emirates is 21 weekly as well known
1 no A388 and 2 no 77W and all three class (Yep including First !) and connect into all three HUB banks out of Dubai

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos