JU068
Topic Author

LH Consulting Develops Iraqi Airways

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Good afternoon.

It seems that Lufthansa Consulting is helping the Iraqi government re-establish operations of the country's national carrier Iraqi Airways.

They are also helping with the development of Mosul airport in the country.

You can read more on this here:

http://www.iraq-businessnews.com/201...onsulting-builds-business-in-iraq/

or here...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-iraq-in-emerging-market-push.html

So it got me thinking, will Lufthansa Consulting help develop Iraqi Airways so as to be in accordance with Lufthansa? Would they eventually join Star Alliance? Could they build them up to become some sort of Lufthansa regional partner carrier in the Middle East? I am sure that Egyptair and Turkish Airlines would not be too happy to have another competitor in the region.

JU068

[email protected]

RE: LH Consulting Develops Iraqi Airways

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm

It is the consulting arm of Lufthansa that consults on numerous areas, reforms airlines, produces business plans, etc. It is well known and highly regarded and its involvement doesn't mean any relationship between Iraqi and Lufthansa.

[Edited 2013-02-15 05:59:27]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

KFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Consulting is almost always done independently - and just because they are LH Consulting should not mean that a partnership with LH is imminent. Good to see that they are professionally planning a come back though.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

JU068
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 1):

Yes but it is still part of Lufthansa, so why not reorganize the airline to best suit their needs? I guess we will have to wait and see how independent they are.

Semaex

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Smart move. Eat the cake as long as it's hot.

I wonder though, since the US basicly have the power of judgement and economic destribution in Iraq, how come they didn't give one of their home carriers the deal? It's not a huge number (~22m€), but the aftermath, including continued strategic operations in and out of an economically growing market with deep pockets full of oil, may turn out to be quite lucrative.

Quoting ju068 (Thread starter):
So it got me thinking, will Lufthansa Consulting help develop Iraqi Airways so as to be in accordance with Lufthansa? Would they eventually join Star Alliance? Could they build them up to become some sort of Lufthansa regional partner carrier in the Middle East? I am sure that Egyptair and Turkish Airlines would not be too happy to have another competitor in the region.

I don't think the first step is to streamline both operations and give TK and MS a hard time, but to build up a network from scratch, to make the airline profitable and take care of airport operations. Remember, it's Lufthansa Consulting, not LH. I can imagine if Iraqi Airways turns out to be a huge success, then why not bid for them to join *A, but for now they will have bigger issues, like getting freedom rights to other nations, upgrading security, streamlining a fleet of less than 20 aircraft in 9 subfleets etc.

btw, I don't like the Bloomberg article. It puts everything that is just barely related to the subject in one pot and makes it look like a decent soup in ten paragraphs.
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast if you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

aloges

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 1):
its involvement doesn't mean any relationship between Iraqi and Lufthansa.
Quoting KFlyer (Reply 2):
just because they are LH Consulting should not mean that a partnership with LH is imminent.

Yup.    The Lufthansa Group includes a large variety variety of businesses, from catering to insurance to IT services and so on. All of them are individual legal entities and serve customers from outside the LH group.

IIRC, LH Consulting also helped Safi Airways get off the ground - but that airline has signed little (if anything) more than an interline agreement with LH.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos