sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Virgin Atlantic: "Flying In The Face Of Ordinary"

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:11 pm

New ad campaign from VS (at least new to me) - and I have to say its great, it highlights their crew in a very different way. That said unlike Emirates, who uses real crew in adverts, I understand VS used models/actors for this spot. Still like it nonetheless, very suited to the Virgin brand. (whether they actually deliver is wholly another topic  )

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTv7HNBryOg
Keep Discovering

luv2fly

RE: Virgin Atlantic: "Flying In The Face Of Ordinary"

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 pm

I find that VS over hypes its product and under delivers. Less hype and more substance.
You can cut the irony with a knife

L0VE2FLY

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 1):
I find that VS over hypes its product and under delivers. Less hype and more substance.

I haven't flown VS, but I know a lot of folks who had including a couple of airline buffs, they all agree that there's nothing special about this airline. Clever ad though.

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Thread starter):
That said unlike Emirates, who uses real crew in adverts,

Have you been in any EK ads?!  

liftsifter

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:52 am

I've flown VS, and the product is very inconsistent. Had a really terrible leg in and on the way back the overall experience was very nice, crew especially had pride in their work.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

robbb

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:23 am

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Thread starter):
it highlights their crew in a very different way.

It also shows them wearing a uniform that isn't Virgin Atlantic's. Cabin crew uniform isn't accurate and Flight Crew are wearing hats.

Virgin Atlantic used to be an amazing trailblazing airline at a time when most others were very ordinary, but over the years has actually become the average that their advertising claims to fly in the face of. I think they are trying a bit harder of late but so are most other airlines so it's much harder to stand out is different especially with Middle East carriers throwing money at hard product.

Where they need to be careful is having advertising that promises something that isn't actually true. I recently saw an advert for No Ordinary Premium Economy that described every premium economy I know of.

As for crew, every airline has some great crew as well as some average and some awful.

FCAFLYBOY

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 am

IMO the same old, over promising and under delivering in real life.

Having said that I flew to CUN recently on a refurbished 744 and the 'new' LGW flee looks great now, so they are moving in the right direction.

More focus on consistent service is needed and the awful Caribbean 1-stop flights need scrapping - why fly VS to St Lucia with a stop en-route ( and only 2/3 x per week) when BA fly direct daily.

If like to see SJU added plus SVD when the runway is extended (tag on from BGI?)

robbb

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:11 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 5):
the awful Caribbean 1-stop flights need scrapping..... like to see SJU added plus SVD when the runway is extended (tag on from BGI?)

Can't have it both ways.  

Actually, I remember reading a VS statement that one benefit of the A330 entering the fleet would be that all the Caribbean routes would become individual stand-alones leaving BA with inter-island shuttles. Hasn't happened yet!

[Edited 2013-02-19 01:18:54]

Vasu

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 am

Can anyone identify anything which VS offers that competing airlines don't?

Just interested!  

anstar

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 am

More focus on consistent service is needed and the awful Caribbean 1-stop flights need scrapping - why fly VS to St Lucia with a stop en-route ( and only 2/3 x per week) when BA fly direct daily.

BA also do Caribbean shuttles... They tend to use ANU as the shuttle hub.

Anyways ST Lucia goes 5 weekly on the A330 from the winter timetable.

Quoting vasu (Reply 7):

The Upper class private wing at LHR where you can be dropped off and go through private security. I'm not aware of any other airlines offering that EX LHR for their Business class passengers.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...e/upperclass/upper-class-wing.html

Bongodog1964

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:59 am

BA only fly direct daily, as they use St Lucia (and Antigua) as initial destinations for their tag ons whereas VS use different Islands.

Quoting robbb (Reply 6):
Actually, I remember reading a VS statement that one benefit of the A330 entering the fleet would be that all the Caribbean routes would become individual stand-alones leaving BA with inter-island shuttles. Hasn't happened yet!

With a VS A333 seating rather more passengers than the competing BA 772's they are going to need to shift a lot of seats to phase out all the tag ons.

skipness1E

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:20 am

If like to see SJU added plus
SJU was run as a winter cruise destination for a couple of winters recently, it was not a huge success. VS081 LGW-ANU-SJU and return. The double drops are off season, BGI, ANU and UVF are generally direct and non stop in peak season. VS struggle to maintain frequency against BA mainly because BA fly B772s and VS are using B744s. However the A333 is going on the Caribbean routes this winter I believe.

Quoting vasu (Reply 7):

Hype in spades.

[Edited 2013-02-19 03:20:41]

ElPistolero

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:34 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 2):
I haven't flown VS, but I know a lot of folks who had including a couple of airline buffs, they all agree that there's nothing special about this airline. Clever ad though.

Flew VS Y+ LHR-DEL-LHR in December. The outbound was atrocious - terrible catering (the 'desert' was a Dole fruit cup - premium dining this) and breakfast was some type of scrambled egg that looked like mashed potato, but tasted edible.

The return leg was significantly better in terms of catering and service. The IFE is top notch (flew AC on the same trip and the IFE selection was very, very poor after VS).

All of which is to say that its not particularly special, but its remarkably inconsistent. When its good, its great. When its not, its appalling. The strong point over most TATL carriers is the IFE - the selection was really, really good (and yes, I pay close attention to IFE).

nethkt

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:18 am

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 1):

This would apply for Emirates too.

The in-flight products on A332/A343 are outdated and not on par with their 380/77W fleet.
In flight product inconsistency there.

With multiple nationalities crew from all over the world, it's certain that you will get a mixed of attentive and I-don't-give-a-darn-am-here-to-make-money-and-travel crew, fail to impress pax here.

Not trying to protect VS, but there are many overhyped airlines out there that marketed way over the top, it's unfair to just pin-point VS.
However, as cliche as it sounds, nothing is fair in this world.
Let's just blame it on yields.

Irishbean

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:34 am

Have flown VS in upper class many times (VS Gold, and BA Gold GL member), without a doubt VS business is far better then anything BA have. Why? Check in LHR, VS have there own wing, its as good as anywhere in the word. BA have T5, its nice, but no direct access to lounge, so nothing special, nice, but not unique. Lounge, VS clubhouse is one of the best lounges lounges in the world, the BA business lounge is awful, even in T5, staff useless, rude, food awful, always busy. Aircraft, VS seat is private (ok, not to everyone's taste), but with BA you have to climb over your follow passengers. BA seat always appears older, dirtier, and very flimsy. Amenities, VS you get sleeper suite, BA nothing, Food, both can be good, both can be awful, just depends on the flight. Crew, BA in business in my experience are completely different then BA in F, F is amazing, J just indifferent, VS generally, fun, young, and always happy, ok, so not always perfect, but better then BA. VS also has on on board bar, which is a great way to burn through some hours on a long flight. In conclusion, having flown both over last few years extensively, VS wins hands down in business......I would still choose BA in F, but comparing business, its a one way race!

questions

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 am

Quoting irishbean (Reply 13):
Crew, BA in business in my experience are completely different then BA in F, F is amazing...

Does BA use a dedicated F crew? For example, not just FAs trained in F service, but a sub group of FAs that staff only or mostly just the F cabin.

anstar

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:45 am

Quoting questions (Reply 14):

Does BA use a dedicated F crew? For example, not just FAs trained in F service, but a sub group of FAs that staff only or mostly just the F cabin.

On the old fleet yes, but the newMixed fleet crew can work in any cabin.

Baexecutive

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:59 am

Quoting irishbean (Reply 13):

You are comparing apples to pears. Virgin doesn't have a 'First' class so they clearly have an up ramped Business product somewhere in between Club World and FIRST. If BA started offering bespoke dining, pyjamas/slippers, 4 abreast searing, dedicated lounges and the rest to Club passengers, there wouldn't be much point in having FIRST would there.

With respect to crew, both airlines have good and bad apples, I do agree you will tend to get a better service in FIRST than anywhere else though. You mention VS crew are fun and friendly, have you flown with Mixed Fleet or SFG Gatwick at all?

Quoting questions (Reply 14):

The majority of LHR and LGW permanent crew are trained to work in all cabins. In the briefing a FIRST team will be selected based on seniority and request to work in that cabin therefore ensuring those who actually want to work in there, get the chance to.

sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:49 am

Quoting nethkt (Reply 12):
With multiple nationalities crew from all over the world, it's certain that you will get a mixed of attentive and I-don't-give-a-darn-am-here-to-make-money-and-travel crew, fail to impress pax here.

I think we've improved on that recently - would you agree? I've heard the real low was around 2007 where the mass crew hires came in. I joined in 2008 and the atmosphere is different to what it was back then and now.

Quoting nethkt (Reply 12):
The in-flight products on A332/A343 are outdated and not on par with their 380/77W fleet.
In flight product inconsistency there.

This is true. Some people board the A330 and are shocked to see how shabby it is after seeing all those commercials or hearing stories from friends who flew on one of our newer 777's or A380s. And the A330 makes it as far down as Durban, so they operate pretty long flights.

Quoting anstar (Reply 15):
On the old fleet yes, but the newMixed fleet crew can work in any cabin.

So this is much like the system BA's American counterparts have. How has that worked out? I personally am a bit skeptical of that system...

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 2):
Have you been in any EK ads?!  

Haha no unfortunately.
Keep Discovering

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos