LONGisland89
Topic Author

Fatal OKC Helicopter Crash

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:42 pm

I was awaken this morning by what I thought was someone slamming their car door. It turns out it was a medical helicopter crash a mile away from my apartment. The medflight crash epidemic continues... RIP to the victims.
http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanew...584/19033118/-/fu5h2r/-/index.html

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Fatal OKC Helicopter Crash

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:53 pm

I know they go into dangerous conditions, but there is a big problem here. There has to be some kind of investigation into why these are so common.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Sancho99504

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:04 am

In my opinion, the biggest threat to safety is rushing a person to the hospital. When one gets in a hurry, safety suffers as well as reactionary time.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

Tankereng

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 am

According to News 9 this is EagleMed's second fatal crash in 3 years. There was also a non-fatal crash last month with a different company. RIP to the victims, and prayers to the lone survivor.

News 9's article:
http://www.news9.com/story/21305802/...med-helicopter-crew-members-killed

spyglass

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:51 am

Pilot & paramedic killed on impact, flt nurse rescued by people on ground. Had taken off from local hospital helipad approx 3 miles from crash site, a street between a retirement home & and a nursing home. Unable to discern N-number due to charred condition of fuselage....main rotor & hub still intact, tail rotor appears missing. Witness about a quarter mile away reported seeing the craft doing what appeared to be autorotation, stated rate of descent quite rapid, then heard explosion & saw fireball, followed by second explosion maybe a minute later....rescuers very lucky to get survivor out before 2nd blast. Local news chopper pilot has flown this craft, Eurocopter AS-350B, and sed there is one fuel cell, 140 US gal, directly under transmission, and if a hard impact (it seems to have hit upright, skids first), the drive system could be dislodged and rupture the tank, igniting the Jet A. No statement as yet from the FAA or NTSB. I, too, heard it from about 3 mi away, sounded like a heavy truck hitting rough pavement.

[Edited 2013-02-22 17:56:11]
I remember when......a plane trip was a big deal.

nws2002

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 am

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 1):
I know they go into dangerous conditions, but there is a big problem here. There has to be some kind of investigation into why these are so common.

There have been several studies. Ira Blumen's are probably the most well known. They all seem to find that decision-making and human error are at fault for most of the accidents, not really a big surprise.

The best way I can think of to reduce this would be to require both two pilots and a dispatch function similar to 121 ops. This would involve more people in the decision making process but would also increase costs dramatically.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos