Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mozart
Topic Author

Airport In The Middle Of The Amazonas Jungle?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

I have by coincidence come across a satellite picture of this airport in the middle of the Amazon jungle. It is located at 9°37'59.38"S 60°37'53.61"W, you can look it up on Google Earth.

What airfield is this? Used by whom?

I am fascinated by the remoteness and wilderness of that place.

rfields5421

RE: Airport In The Middle Of The Amazonas Jungle?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm

The picture is almost six years old - so it is likely that it doesn't look anything the same today.

The extensive clearing on the other side of the river to the north on the Google Earth image, and to the south on older images when the runways was just a dirt strip - indicate it is likely a private airport of a company harvesting trees.

Or the purpose could be soybean farming - apparently that region produces and exports a lot of soybeans.
Not all who wander are lost.

sejtam

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

if you turn on Panoramio pictures in Google Earth, you will find one located right there entitled "FAZENDA BURITI NO ENCONTRO DO RIO ROOSEVELT COM O BRANCO"

According to Wikipedia Fazendas were coffee plantations.

airbazar

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Quoting sejtam (Reply 2):
According to Wikipedia Fazendas were coffee plantations

that was true during the colonial years. Today, a fazenda is a farm.

rfields5421

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Translation is approx "Buriti farm near the Roosevelt River and the Branco"

There are at least 50 Branco Rivers in Brazil - and Roosevelt River is sometime called the Branco (White) River.

The river next to the airport appears on maps to be the Roosevelt / Branco River.

Buriti is a name for the Moriche palm - a tree which produces a fruit used to make juice, jam, ice cream and a fermented wine. Oil can be extracted from the fruit and can be used to treat burns.

Okay, so not wood or soybeans - but a farm. There appears to be about 10 sq km of cleared land to the north, and at least that much cleared and replanted in trees to the south to me.

scutfarcus

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Tangential, but good god it's shocking how much of that forest has been cleared when you look around near there on Google Maps...

rg787

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:28 am

Probably not a farm of buritis... Might be a farm for something else, as the buriti tree is common in this area and might be why its the name of the farm.

RyanairGuru

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 am

Quoting scutfarcus (Reply 5):
good god it's shocking how much of that forest has been cleared when you look around near there on Google Maps

Go there, it's even more shocking  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

rfields5421

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:36 am

Clear cut forests never look good. Some of my favorite areas when I was growing up in the mountains of Arkansas are now just bare hillsides.

jbcarioca

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Quoting sejtam (Reply 2):

Fazenda Buriti airport (SSNW) is located in the State of Bahia. That is not to say there are not more fazendas with the same name, but I cannot find one with that name in open or closed Mato Grosso airports. I've flown in and out of a few remote Amazonas airports so I am more than normally curious. The panamario photos by léo butaskoski definitely do show this lat long, and others photos in the Brazilian sites link his with others taken nearby, so I am sure this is correct.

This location in the State of Mato Grosso near the municipality of Aripuanã. . By all indications it may have been used mostly to serve a disused fazed. The Aripuanã (AIR) airport is a grass strip, almost impossible to see on the satellite maps. There are several otehr airports nearby that are equally hard to find. Fazenda Estrela do Aripuanã Airport (SIWA) is closest perhaps and Fazenda Cotriguaçu Airport. There are roughly 20 airports in the area, almost all grass strips. Several are located in forest reserves and others at fazendas.

Because I cannot find a Fazenda Buriti Airport shown in the state of Mato Grosso I am guessing that this is all disused.

[Edited 2013-02-26 04:43:26]

The OP might enjoy seeing the rest of the photos by the same photographer. No question about it; this is remote!

[Edited 2013-02-26 04:58:16]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos