Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCQ83

RE: FAA Investigating F9 'Harlem Shake' Incident

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Quoting 777STL (Reply 45):
I agree. Nothing is more brilliant than some fat Korean guy jumping around like he's riding a horse.

Off-topic, but Gangnam is a parody of a kind of nouveau-riche Koreans (Gangnam is a district in Seoul). If you ever been to Seoul or have met these Koreans... they exist.

Obviously, the video is extremely caricatured, but that's where the fun comes from. Plus, the music is quite catchy... and that is why it has been so successful all over the world (even if 99% of people outside Korea do not even know that they try to make fun of a kind of real ppl).

Harlem shake is just lame.

737tanker

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 44):
If the Captain found no problem with it I don't see anything wrong with it

I agree there was nothing wrong with it, but the Captain probably didn't even know it was happening.

Elevated

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Quoting rampart (Reply 41):
In that case, I hope the FAA reinvestigate all previous uses of the PA to sing happy birthday, wish newlyweds well, or congratulate the sports team on board. Scandalous!  

You missed my point. "Scandalous," dramatic much?

It's up to the FA's desecration to make any extra announcements over the PA; it's another story when it's Tommy's birthday and Tommy makes the PA or one of Tommy's friends and is NOT a working Crew member. We use our best judgment over the PA without making extra announcements and disrupting the guest experience, obviously there are exceptions for special occasions.

rampart

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Quoting Elevated (Reply 52):
You missed my point. "Scandalous," dramatic much?

It's up to the FA's desecration to make any extra announcements over the PA; it's another story when it's Tommy's birthday and Tommy makes the PA or one of Tommy's friends and is NOT a working Crew member. We use our best judgment over the PA without making extra announcements and disrupting the guest experience, obviously there are exceptions for special occasions.

Sorry, I think you missed my point, sarcastic. "Dramatic much" would be the reaction to this stunt. I'm assuming for now that the crew made a best judgement (as in, allowing it), and this was a rare event, an exception. The guest experience seemed not to be too disrupted, as it looks like unaffiliated passengers joined in. I think you mean "discretion" (as in decision), not "desecration" (as in respect -- I know, damned auto-spellcheck!, but sort of ironic), and from what Frontier has said, the crew did use that.
Unless we hear otherwise. Normally it's an airline that overreacts, but not in this case, it's the FAA, the stupid news reporter, and the laughable aviation expert brought in to point out the "risks".

-Rampart

kingcavalier

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 pm

It was a big segment on the Today show this morning. Of course, NBC showed a clip of a F9 737-200. Anyone else see the story?
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

Caryjack

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:42 am

Fox News is reporting the following:

The FAA is considering if the FA was wrong to allow the dance, but have not opened an "official" investigation.
The dancers asked an FA permission to perform the dance, which was granted.
The dancers talked with all other passengers before performing the dance.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 4):
Its an internet craze. They happen and then fade away...

Thanks,   
Cary

ikramerica

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:08 am

The FAA is also investigating the Brady Bunch for singing in the aisles of a "Very Brady Sequel".

Quoting scbriml (Reply 43):
How is it the FAA's job to fix Boeing's problems with the 787?

The FAA moved the goal posts after certification, and it's entirely Boeing's fault?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

DeltaMD90

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 am

Pretty obnoxious and I'd be pissed if I was trying to sleep, but as long as they weren't doing it when they weren't supposed to, let them be

enilria

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:58 am

I'd like to make a point.

Since you are required by law to "comply with all crew member instructions", essentially the passengers would be compelled by the threat of arrest if they did not participate in the Harlem Shake. ROTFL

lightsaber

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:51 am

Quoting bomber996 (Reply 19):

I'm surprised Spirit didn't think of this first and use it for advertising. Would make a rather funny TV commercial.

No ideas.  
Quoting Mir (Reply 36):
There are all sorts of objectionable things that people can do on aircraft that aren't against the FARs, and if someone tried to complain about them to the FAA then the FAA should just refuse to take up the case.

That they should, but should and actual often have quite a few labor hours in there.

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 46):
Just how many people do you imagine are actually investigating this?

I've seen 7 investigate nothing.

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 56):

The FAA is also investigating the Brady Bunch for singing in the aisles of a "Very Brady Sequel".

May I investigate Marsha?  

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

sweair

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:16 am

If funding is short why waste it on non trivial things like this? No one made a threat, it is actually good to move your limbs in an aircraft, it helps against blood clogging.

scbriml

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:03 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 56):
The FAA moved the goal posts after certification, and it's entirely Boeing's fault?

The FAA moved the goal posts?   

OK, which goal posts did the FAA move? The battery failure rate was many orders of magnitude more frequent than Boeing said it would be. But that's clearly the FAA's fault?   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

eaglepower83

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:57 am

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 13):
I can't believe how lame and sheep-like college students are these days. Repeating endlessly the same prank that wasn't original or funny to begin with. Get a life, twits.

"And get off my lawn!"

GentFromAlaska

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:00 pm

The snippet received some national media attention of sorts Friday evening. Jay Leno aired the segment in the opening monologue on the Tonight Show.

It appears the FAA may be concentrating on the seat belt issue; not if it the sign was illuminated but rather should it have been. I still think the FAA is stretching in that seat belts are left to the discretion of the flight crew. In all of my years flying I've flown I've never experience or heard of a flight deck knowingly putting anyone in harms way.

Apparently is has something to do with too many passengers being out of their seats at one time over a potentially turbulent prone area. Weather appears not to have been an issue.

I'm not sure where the exact event occurred but turbulence over the Rockies and near PSP and of course those famous Santa Ana winds off of SoCal have been known to render problems. PSP is a RNP airport for the wind reason.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

kevi747

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:35 pm

All in good fun. Much ado about nothing. Please move along....nothing to see here. (Then again, the song IS about terrorists.) LOL!  
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

mariner

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Quoting kingcavalier (Reply 54):
It was a big segment on the Today show this morning.

I hope Frontier is thanking its lucky stars that the FAA stepped in.

It's given them national attention, international exposure (from London to New Zealand) and it's closing in on 3 million hits on Youtube.

The FAA has said it's aware of the bind it's in - looking like the Grinch. If it comes down heavy on the airline it is likely to extend the publicity.

mariner
aeternum nauta

zeke

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:36 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 4):
I didn't see any violations. What's the issue?

Operating a Frisbee without a certificate ?

Seriously, you can have a college Frisbee team ????
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

dynamicsguy

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 66):

As noted earlier, ultimate is a team sport played with a flying disc (a frisbee to the layman). And it is no less a "real" sport just because it using a disc instead of a ball.

zeke

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:52 am

Quoting dynamicsguy (Reply 67):
a frisbee to the layman

Frisbee is a trademark, hence flying disc, nothing to do with "layman". Still a pathetic waste of money considering that those funds could be put into real education and research.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

dynamicsguy

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:04 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 68):
Frisbee is a trademark, hence flying disc, nothing to do with "layman".

Show the man in the street a flying disc and he will tell you that it's a frisbee, and so that is what it is to the layman. Like many trademarks it has become a generic word for the item in question. But most ultimate players will call it a disc and since the early 90s we haven't played with frisbees.

Chipmunk2307

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 65):
It's given them national attention, international exposure (from London to New Zealand) and it's closing in on 3 million hits on Youtube.

Not to mention the guy wearing the banana suit. Where do you get those?   

But in all seriousness, does it matter if the plane was on the ground or flying? Either way "could" cause damage to the floor. But does the moving mass of 40+ people make a difference in the air?

Cheers

lightsaber

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 66):

Posted by someone from a region with college Cricket teams...

Its fun. You aim for a series of goals a la a golf match. Many of the universities have land earmarked for growth or large central parks that have the area to set up the course. Unlike golf, it is safe to have pedestrians 'cross the course' (walk across the park) while you are playing your round.

It is a sport played in many ways comparable to golf except:
1. No need for the extreme landscaping.
2. No need for an exclusive use of the land (which I find so wasteful with golf).

e.g., one of my favorite jogging trails cut through two ultimate courses.

If we're going to complain about a 'sport,' let's complain about golf.

Quoting Chipmunk2307 (Reply 70):
Not to mention the guy wearing the banana suit. Where do you get those?

Now explain that to the TSA...

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

dynamicsguy

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 71):
Its fun. You aim for a series of goals a la a golf match.

You're talking disc golf, and all you say about it is true, but the team in the video was an ultimate team and played a different sport.

b727fa

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 68):
Still a pathetic waste of money considering that those funds could be put into real education and research.

It's "club" level so no scholarships, conferences, etc. Think intercollegiate intramurals.

Quoting dynamicsguy (Reply 72):
Quoting lightsaber (Reply 71):
Its fun. You aim for a series of goals a la a golf match.

You're talking disc golf, and all you say about it is true, but the team in the video was an ultimate team and played a different sport.

Ultimate is much more like soccer...very fast and very fun!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

BOStonsox

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 68):
Still a pathetic waste of money considering that those funds could be put into real education and research.

How is this a waste of money? Ultimate may not be an NCAA-sanctioned sport, but it's no different than any other kind of sport offered at any other university. It's about making college more fun in the end.
2013 World Series Champions!

CO777DAL

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:14 am

I don't know why the FAA is singling out Frontier?

Lets see who else has done it.

Southwest Airlines. Looks really cool with the Boeing Sky Interior Mood Lightning. (In -Flight)
http://youtu.be/8wpUo_WdFb8

Air Canada In Flight
http://youtu.be/vRuHRsoAOZc

Emirates In Flight
http://youtu.be/p1qjjB7pfeg

Ryan Air In Flight
http://youtu.be/StBrBixvNpA

Air New Zealand In Flight (Two different flights)
http://youtu.be/97vR6xXZ96c
http://youtu.be/2dUBNIQ9-4M (In Flight start 3:00 into vid guy is even shirtless in overhead bins and all)

SAS (In overhead bins and all)
http://youtu.be/76ABU-pWbM0

Luthansas ( I never seen so many male Flight Attendants on one plane)
http://youtu.be/KoQqpFpxRcM

American Airlines
http://youtu.be/x-YwUaBzmMI

Unkown Airline Sure someone on here will figure it out (This one was awesome!)
http://youtu.be/Zk8PhNJJUZ0

That is just what I saw today. I bet there is more out there. So is the FAA going to ban dancing in airplanes? They need to focus on other things and let people have fun! This is a waste of time and money.

[Edited 2013-03-03 23:19:45]
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

rampart

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 68):

Yeah, tell that to the college football cartell. I assume you aren't that familiar with US intercollegiate athletics. At least Ultimate can be played by any teenager with reasonabel fitness and intelligence. Football at the competitive college is played by 250-300 pound "student athletes". And one of their star quarterbacks is taking correspondence courses for credit.

-Rampart

lightsaber

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Quoting dynamicsguy (Reply 72):

Ahh... That's what I get for aging.     

EIther way, this was a fun thing to do.

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 75):

I don't know why the FAA is singling out Frontier?

Those were entertaining. Thank you for sharing.

Now we've all given those videos more 'hits' which is the goal.   

Lightsaber

speedbird2263

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 75):
SAS (In overhead bins and all)

They even employed the now defunk planking in that one. I can't for the life of me figure out how this 'craze' got viral in that 'short' space of time. It's 2013 I suppose.

Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

winginit

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 13):
I can't believe how lame and sheep-like college students are these days. Repeating endlessly the same prank that wasn't original or funny to begin with. Get a life, twits.

awww... sounds like someone is a bit upset that their college glory days are over.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 3):
Unless the seatbelt sign was on, this is a non-issue.

indeed.

KELPkid

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 66):
Operating a Frisbee without a certificate ?

In the US, it falls in under 14 CFR part 103 (ultralight operating rules)  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

KELPkid

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:52 pm

On a slightly more serious note, if people were a little to rambunctious, and their movements caused the aircraft or flight crew to have to make flight control inputs to compensate, then I could see where the FAA might think that something like this constitutes a safety of flight issue. Not saying it happened here (as I don't know...).
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

FlyDeltaJets

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 36):
Not really. If it doesn't involve the FARs, the FAA has no say. There are all sorts of objectionable things that people can do on aircraft that aren't against the FARs, and if someone tried to complain about them to the FAA then the FAA should just refuse to take up the case.

The act of the airline operating is under a FAR. The FARs covers other things specifically but is still their business to ensure operation is in accordance with said FAR. Greyhound on the other hand would not involve the FAA because there is nothing that Greyhound does that would involve FAR's
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos