Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

4engines4lnghll
Topic Author

QR To Join OW , New Cities?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:17 pm

With QR to join Oneworld will we see any new cities from the US to Qatar? For example to connect in DOH and then continue onward to Europe,Asia,Middle East, etc.

timboflier215

RE: QR To Join OW , New Cities?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Trouble is, DOH is not a great location geographically for connecting the USA with anywhere other than the countries immediately surrounding it. WAY too much backtracking involved for pax to travel US-DOH-Asia or Europe.

LJ

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Quoting timboflier215 (Reply 1):
Trouble is, DOH is not a great location geographically for connecting the USA with anywhere other than the countries immediately surrounding it. WAY too much backtracking involved for pax to travel US-DOH-Asia or Europe.

Depends on how you define Asia. Western Asia will not be a problem as will Africa. However, SE Asia from the US is better via NRT.

3rdGen

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:30 pm

There has already been threads about this.BOS, MIA, DTW, LAX, ORD. There were strong rumours on the cards a while back. Only ORD has been confirmed, will come online in April, but with reduced frequency.

TWA772LR

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:30 pm

I can see 787 service to DFW.

Tdan

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 pm

DFW will happen very soon. As soon as QR gets more planes or the 787 is allowed to fly

VTORD

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:37 am

Quoting LJ (Reply 2):
Depends on how you define Asia.

I have been looking for tickets in the summer to either BOM or AMD and I can see some good connection times. So other destinations in India should be serviced well also.

They are 3 x Weekly till June 15th. After that they are daily.

Some Indian travel agents have already started marketing "brand new flights from Chicago to India". The way they are marketing it, you would think QR started a service specifically from Chicago to Indian cities.

behramjee

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:32 am

no major back tracking is involved if you fly from JFK/IAD/YUL/ORD via DOH to the SE Asian cities of BKK/SIN/KUL/CGK/DPS/HKT only

ChazPilot

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:33 am

[

Quoting LJ (Reply 2):
Quoting timboflier215 (Reply 1):Trouble is, DOH is not a great location geographically for connecting the USA with anywhere other than the countries immediately surrounding it. WAY too much backtracking involved for pax to travel US-DOH-Asia or Europe.

Depends on how you define Asia. Western Asia will not be a problem as will Africa. However, SE Asia from the US is better via NRT.

I would add India / South Asia region to that as well - DOH looks an ideal gateway for that area.

adamh8297

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 am

Quoting LJ (Reply 2):

I was hoping this when JL started their NRT-BOS flights but it wasn't timed well for connections. A properly timed BOS-DOH flight would make convenient connections to all of their destinatons in SE Asia.

Quoting VTORD (Reply 6):
The way they are marketing it, you would think QR started a service specifically from Chicago to Indian cities.

Connectivity to Indian cities will be the major reason why they would start BOS and MIA.

3rdGen

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 9):
Connectivity to Indian cities will be the major reason why they would start BOS and MIA.

Connectivity to Indian Cities is the main reason QR, EK or EY exist in the first place.

hohd

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 pm

The Indian subcontinent is one of the major reasons that QR has so many flights to US. DFW will be the most likely, DFW-India traffic is fairly significant (especially HYD), while EK has taken over some of the traffic, QR can get a good amount of this traffic with the oneworld alliance. However BA's traffic to India could be hurt somewhat.

4engines4lnghll
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 11):

DFW is the largest for Indian traffic in the US if not is one of the largest.

LAXdude1023

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Quoting 4engines4lnghll (Reply 12):
DFW is the largest for Indian traffic in the US if not is one of the largest.

NYC, ORD, SFO, WAS, and LAX are larger. However, DFW-India is roughly the same size as BOS-India and has now become larger than IAH-India with the addition of DFW-DXB. DFW-India was bleeding a LOT of traffic to IAH because they had QR and EK. DFW-India is also quite a bit larger than other significant market to India like ATL and SEA.

[Edited 2013-03-11 07:53:59]

AY-MD11

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm

When they start HEL?

winginit

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Quoting timboflier215 (Reply 1):

This isn't entirely true. Currently QR's one-stop (DOH) is the most popular means of getting from both IAD and IAH to KUL, and it's not that far off in terms of the routes to BKK and SIN. Plain and simple, the total travel times over the Atlantic to SE Asia from the East Coast are just as competitive (and in some cases more so) as the Pacific routings using CX, SIN, etc.

4engines4lnghll
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 13):

Definitely! I travel on the DFW-IAH route frequently and Id say around (depending on the time of day) 60-80% of the passengers are Indian and I always see a EK or QR tag on their bags.

[Edited 2013-03-11 08:04:16]

lightsaber

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Adding QR/DOH to OW's routemap is a benefit. One that had some 'wind taken out of the sails' by the QF/EK tie up.

This helps one part of Asia for North American customers. For European customers, it is quite the route map expansion.

Quoting LJ (Reply 2):
However, SE Asia from the US is better via NRT.

For Western US a clear case. For the Eastern Seaboard, Indonesia, Malasia, India, Pakistan, and the mid-east are better vie DOH.

But NRT lacks frequency and as time continues, P2P connections. That is a result of regulator and infrastructure. For many routes, e.g. JFK-BKK, NRT will not be competitive with long ground times.

Quoting winginit (Reply 15):
Plain and simple, the total travel times over the Atlantic to SE Asia from the East Coast are just as competitive (and in some cases more so) as the Pacific routings using CX, SIN, etc.

In particular when connection times are factored in. NRT is simply going to become less and less competitive as time progresses.

Lightsaber

TC957

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Once the 787 fiasco is sorted and deliveries recommence then I'm sure QR will expand quite a bit. There was talk of a return to LGW and then new UK services to BHX & EDI when the first 787's came to QR, but of course nothing can planned for the time being.

airDFW

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:08 pm

DFW-India was bleeding a LOT of traffic to IAH because they had QR and EK.

I traveled this route last May and I did not like DOH, not the inbound time at BOM and definitely not the outbound 4:15 AM or something at BOM.

I think I prefer to break the journey into manageable 9-10 hour blocks. May be BA next time...

ASA

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Quoting 3rdGen (Reply 10):
Connectivity to Indian Cities is the main reason QR, EK or EY exist in the first place.

I have traveled on IAD-DOH, JFK-DOH, JFK-DXB, and IAH-DXB routes. And the traffic was overwhelmingly South Asian ... not just Indian, but also a lot of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. It almost feels like one of the Subcontinent's airlines ... except for the great service  
NYC, ORD, SFO, WAS, and LAX are larger. However, DFW-India is roughly the same size as BOS-India and has now become larger than IAH-India with the addition of DFW-DXB. DFW-India was bleeding a LOT of traffic to IAH because they had QR and EK. DFW-India is also quite a bit larger than other significant market to India like ATL and SEA.
Quoting 4engines4lnghll (Reply 16):
Definitely! I travel on the DFW-IAH route frequently and Id say around (depending on the time of day) 60-80% of the passengers are Indian and I always see a EK or QR tag on their bags

As I said earlier ... it is not just Indians ... but other South Asians too. It is actually quite interesting to watch the different distribution of ethnic origins/destinations in these flights ... for example, IAH flights have a heavy concentration of Pakistanis, DFW goes to Indians, JFK flights have lots of North Indians and Bangladeshis, etc etc.

But as 3rdGen mentioned ... traffic/connectivity to South Asia is a 'significant' portion of EK/EY/QR's North American operations ... if not the 'backbone'.

DLBOIFIN

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Quoting AY-MD11 (Reply 14):
When they start HEL?

They announced DOH-HEL route quite some time ago, but nothing has materialized yet. One could assume that now when QR joins OW, HEL route would make even more sense as they would get feed from AY. We'll see..

byronicle6

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Negotiations are currently underway for Qatar airways flights to New Zealand. Most likely as a one stop to AKL via MEL/PER or somewhere in Asia

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10869451

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos