Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1400mph
Topic Author

Question About VS And DL.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 am

Given that SQ made no secret of its wishes to sell its stake in VS I cannot for the life of me understand why DL did not purchase the 49% stake in VS while BD was still for sale and aid VS in its bid to purchase the carrier.

What an amazing opportunity for DL to gain massive access to LHR missed.

Any thoughts ?

Liverpoola380

RE: Question About VS And DL.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 am

BD was not profitable and would have been a massive undertaking to integrate the airline.

DL are looking at VS for connections into the US not to expand connections for VS in the UK and Europe

usdcaguy

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 am

Quoting liverpoola380 (Reply 1):
DL are looking at VS for connections into the US not to expand connections for VS in the UK and Europe

That's correct. The issue here is that BD did not offer much in the way of nonstops to the US not already offered by VS. Access to markets like EWR-LHR, SFO-LHR, IAH-LHR, etc. is more important than flying LHR-BEY, etc.

charliecossie

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 am

How would throwing away hundreds of millions of quid/dollars help either Virgin or Delta?

1400mph
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 am

Aren't you all missing the point ?

Maybe I am ?

Would there have been anything stopping VS from handing some of those slots to DL to support their trans-atlantic venture and allow them to operate more flights into LHR, keeping whatever they wanted and flogging (selling) the rest ?

Also surely a wise long-term investment considering DL's main trans-atlantic alliance is with a currently shaky AF ?

cofannyc

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 am

Quoting 1400mph (Reply 4):
Also surely a wise long-term investment considering DL's main trans-atlantic alliance is with a currently shaky AF ?

So you'd have DL replace a relationship with AF (which has a massive footprint compared to anything VS and BD's slots would bring) because AF is shaky? But you'd replace it again with VS (REALLY shaky right now) and BD (while it has slots, it would also have had to have been largely unwound by VS).

It seems that by going down the VS only road, assuming metal neutrality in any tie up, DL gets expansion at LHR without a whole lot of baggage from having to deal with the BD operation. Also BD would have a sizeable number of slots at times that are unusable for TATL operations.

1400mph
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 am

Quoting cofannyc (Reply 5):
So you'd have DL replace a relationship with AF

Who said anything about 'replace' ?

On top of and aswell as I was thinking. If anything did happen over at AF DL would have options.

So you are basically saying that given they could have sold what they didn't want, use what they kept to beef up their trans-atlantic schedules........DL would not have been interested ? Are we talking about the same DL here ?

I'm a BA supporter so I'm glad it didn't happen but there was definitely an opportunity missed I feel.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos