Gonzalo
Topic Author

Severe Weather Alert For U.K.,disruptions Expected

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:05 am

A Severe Weather warning for almost all the U.K. territory was issued.

From the NSW Warning :

THE PUBLIC ARE ADVISED TO BE PREPARED FOR DISRUPTION TO TRANSPORT.

http://uk.weather.com/severeWeatherAlert

I guess this is affecting LHR too ?

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

PlymSpotter

RE: Severe Weather Alert For U.K.,disruptions Expected

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:31 am

Put it this way, it's not stopped raining here in the South West UK for 36 hours and there are floods everywhere. But in other places the rain is falling as snow, and that's going to be a lot of snow!

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

rutankrd

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41 am

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):
I guess this is affecting LHR too

No London 5° clear and dry

AeroWesty

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):
I guess this is affecting LHR too ?

Right from your link, areas covered:

Quote:
- NORTH WEST ENGLAND (AMBER)
- WALES (AMBER)
- EAST MIDLANDS (AMBER)
- WEST MIDLANDS (AMBER)
- YORKSHIRE & HUMBER (AMBER)
- NORTH EAST ENGLAND (AMBER)

LHR is in SE England on the map.
International Homo of Mystery

OA260

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Its already caused lots of disruption here in Ireland especially in the Northern half.

BHD was closed this morning and has been closed again just now.

40,000 without power in Northern Ireland. Lights in my home are flickering and Im expecting a power outage as the winds are actually getting worse. Ferries have been cancelled between Britain and Ireland.

I expect more flights will be cancelled today and tomorrow at BHD and maybe BFS CFN.

Currently delays at BFS upto 4 hours .

[Edited 2013-03-22 05:42:59]

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):
LHR is in SE England on the map

I have a World Map the size of a wall in my house, updated to 2011. I know is in the SE.  

I didn't choose the right words to my question. What I was asking is, with a big part of the country under this adverse weather, can all this affect LHR, the airport ( not London the City ), with dozens of flights cancelled to the affected cities, international/long haul flights delayed for late / missed connections, airport crowded with stranded passengers, etc.

Rgds.
G:
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

rutankrd

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Quoting Gonzalo (Reply 5):
can all this affect LHR, the airport ( not London the City ), with dozens of flights cancelled to the affected cities, international/long haul flights delayed for late / missed connections, airport crowded with stranded passengers, etc

A very few domestics may be lost and risk airports are notably Leeds Belfast and Glasgow.
Nothing expected to be lost long haul. No slot restrictions imposed at Heathrow at this time.

As i said and remains clear bright and dry out my windows (6 miles north of LHR)

sankaps

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Was delayed arriving into LHR from CDG this evening, pilot said due to unusually long hold caused by weather conditions (windy, rainy, low clouds). Also said some snow showers possible later tonight into tomorrow, but not expected to stick.

Flyingfox27

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 pm

See my post in Non Aviation, the weather in the UK this year is so unusual this year its getting rather crazy isnt it.

PlymSpotter

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Quoting Flyingfox27 (Reply 8):

See my post in Non Aviation, the weather in the UK this year is so unusual this year its getting rather crazy isnt it.

Well not really, no, it's just normal Winter weather. The issue is that we've had a number of incredibly mild winters and springs recently which distorts people's perspective. This time last year we saw temperatures in the low 20's - that's the presiding irregularity here, not snow and ice in March. I can remember the Ten Torrs event on Dartmoor being disrupted due to heavy snow in mid May, in Devon - that's unusual weather.

Dan  

willd

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:16 am

Well BA have now canceled over fifty flights to and from LHR this morning. That is according to Simon Calder on the BBC.

Weather a lot worse here (Oxford) over night.

Flyingfox27

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:01 am

I still think its been cloudier than usual Dan no disrespect, are we just unlucky that every weekend since early February has been cloudy? I just miss photographing planes thats all, i hate doing that in cloudy weather because you cant edit and make really good photos in cloudy conditions, also they have been on easterlies so much this month so the easterly wind is strange as we usually get the jetstream southwesterlies.

But i notice you live in the Southwest so you might have not seen the amount of cloud and lack of sunshine there has been this month and last month? Iam in West Sussex.

sunshine79

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:34 am

LBA is pretty bad this morning

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Shazza24/lba_zps9bd9949e.jpg
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

factsonly

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:48 am

Saturday 23 March 2013 - Flights from/to:

- Leeds/Bradford
- Teesside
- Eastmidlands

seem to be affected today.

PlymSpotter

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 am

Quoting Flyingfox27 (Reply 11):

I still think its been cloudier than usual Dan no disrespect, are we just unlucky that every weekend since early February has been cloudy?

Yes, there have been some lovely days so far, especially at the beginning of this month. Anyway, it's pretty common here in the UK to go for long periods of time without seeing the sun.  
Quoting Flyingfox27 (Reply 11):
But i notice you live in the Southwest so you might have not seen the amount of cloud and lack of sunshine there has been this month and last month? Iam in West Sussex.

I know it goes against common perception (of the South West as warm and sunny), but we actually get some of the UK's worst weather down here - much worse than the South East. Specifically where I am, on the foothills of west Dartmoor, is one of the wettest areas of the country; annual rainfall in excess of 2m is not uncommon. It's the affect of living on a peninsula sticking out into the Atlantic, where most of the UK's weather systems swing in from. We get it first, and by the time it's moved up country much of the energy and cloud has dissipated.

Dan  

sw733

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Just arrived LHR from HAM on BA965. Was over an hour late, mostly due to inbound aircraft from LHR. Was told there had been "significant snowfall in London", but nothing on the ground. Tiny flakes are falling and the place is rather a mess. Pretty funny that such weak wether can cause this many cancellations.

Curious to see how late my onward to ORD (BA297) will be

sankaps

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 15):
Pretty funny that such weak wether can cause this many cancellations.

Not this argument again! It is not just snow falling or on the ground that causes delays in an airport which is running at 99% of capacity in normal weather. Anything that increases spacing between aircraft on approach (strong winds, low visibility etc) or increases time required to get aircraft off the ground (de-icing) WILL have to have an impact on flights. Only way to avoid it is to increase airport capacity, which LHR has been trying to get approvalto do for years!

ScottishDavie

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:00 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-21910940

The second photo in the sequence is taken through the window of what is clearly a U2 aircraft on the ground at LGW. The caption reads "Lisa Webb was trying to get to a rugby match in Rome, Italy on Saturday morning. She had been on the plane at Gatwick for four hours when she sent us this photo".

There is a further quote from Ms Webb here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21910437

Does anybody know anything more? If it's correct that LGW only had three de-icing trucks in operation it's hardly surprising there were significant delays

[Edited 2013-03-23 20:01:01]

Flyingfox27

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:45 am

I feel sad everytime i wake up to a cloudy sky, its amazing you had sun in the first few days of March, we havent had any in West Sussex, Come on you must agree with me a little bit because they are saying on the news about hibernating animals coming out starving and birds delaying their journeys here.

Iam guessing you dont want to believe it or may have hayfever, this is great weather for hayfever sufferers but i'd rather have hayfever and suffer than have endless days of cloud and wet weather.

That is selfish i know, but in all honesty i have never ever in my 32 year life so far have seen a Spring as worse as this one now. I would emigrate to warmer climes but then couldnt take decent airports like Heathrow with me.

Lets hope April has lots more sunshine than this months severe lack of it. Sorry for being off topic but i feel like i should have some validarity on what im trying to say.

sierra3tango

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 am

Quoting Flyingfox27 (Reply 18):
Lets hope April has lots more sunshine than this months severe lack of it. Sorry for being off topic but i feel like i should have some validarity on what im trying to say.

Try somewhere like the UAE (you'd have a good airport or two) or elsewhere in the Gulf - the sun shines maybe 350+ days a year. Trouble is, it gets boring when every morning to get out of bed & the sun is shining. We get excited when it rains!

LHRjc

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 am

Quoting ScottishDavie (Reply 17):
Does anybody know anything more? If it's correct that LGW only had three de-icing trucks in operation it's hardly surprising there were significant delays

No not correct. U2 generally use remote de-icing at LGW, so they push, taxi to through stands e.g 41 & 43 and are de-iced before taxiing off to the holding point. So for these remote de-icing stands there may only be 3 trucks.

All other airlines de-ice on stand before pushing and there are many many de-icing trucks available. I think TOM may also be trialling remote de-icing at LGW but I stand to be corrected.

Yesterday we had a de-icing truck waiting for us before we were even ready to close up, whereas conversely on the radio there were U2 guys being told there was a 3 hour wait for de-icing and they'd need to contact Ops to decide who was going to go in what order to the remote stands, as crews were starting to run out of hours due to the length of time it was taking.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

ScottishDavie

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 am

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 20):
No not correct. U2 generally use remote de-icing at LGW, so they push, taxi to through stands e.g 41 & 43 and are de-iced before taxiing off to the holding point. So for these remote de-icing stands there may only be 3 trucks.

Thanks for your interesting reply. I'm generally a fan of U2 but that doesn't look too clever. Wonder if they'll review their practices?

PlymSpotter

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 pm

I feel sad everytime i wake up to a cloudy sky, its amazing you had sun in the first few days of March, we havent had any in West Sussex,

I have family in that region, they have had some lovely weather so far this year. It's not all doom, sunshine data shows that 2011 was much duller for your region.

Come on you must agree with me a little bit because they are saying on the news about hibernating animals coming out starving and birds delaying their journeys here.

Animals exit hibernation early in poor (cold) weather almost solely because they weren't able to build up sufficient reserves the previous autumn. The recent mild springs have caused many to be less prepared this winter, some were again confused by the very mild start to January and used precious reserves being active before then having to return to hibernation, unlike previous years where the unseasonable mild weather continued. But a swallow in Africa doesn't watch the weather on BBC 1 and know when to leave - that's some 'creative' journalism there.

Iam guessing you dont want to believe it or may have hayfever, this is great weather for hayfever sufferers but i'd rather have hayfever and suffer than have endless days of cloud and wet weather.

Not at all, the weather and climate interests me and I have compiled a very large amount of relevant data and statistics through my work.

That is selfish i know, but in all honesty i have never ever in my 32 year life so far have seen a Spring as worse as this one now.

Spring started on Wednesday, so I think it's a little too early to be making a call like that. The winter was not particularly cold as far as records go, it only felt that way because we had such mild winters beforehand. March is looking like the coldest for around 50 years, but it's still not exactly abnormal to have snow and icy weather extending into April. The second half of the 20th century and beginning of the 21st saw increasingly mild winters in the UK (with some notable exceptions), being topped off by the last few years which were just bizarrely warm - at some point a relatively 'normal' winter was expected.

Quoting ScottishDavie (Reply 21):
Thanks for your interesting reply. I'm generally a fan of U2 but that doesn't look too clever.

Explains some of the very late U2 arrivals I saw last night. Must be a scheduling nightmare.

Dan  

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:22 pm

I would emigrate to warmer climes but then couldnt take decent airports like Heathrow with me.

Well we certainly don't have a big airport here ( it is decent, but definitely not big ). But if you are looking for warmer climes, the north of Chile could be your best choice. We had some of the driest spots on Earth, with an average of 0,6 mm of rain per year. Even that 0,6 mm/ year is build up with some occasional drizzle ( a few hours / year ), not with "real rain".

The last day we had rain here in Antofagasta was July 8th., 2011. It was a rare event and even made national news :

http://diario.latercera.com/2011/07/...nusual-lluvia-en-antofagasta.shtml

The whole city was a mess ( you know, we don't have very good drainage for this "one every 5 years events" )...
The total amount of rain necessary for this ? 1,2 mm.  

Funny thing is, we are in opposite extremes : I grew up in much more rainy places ( Montevideo, Uruguay, and Santiago de Chile ), and after 15 years living here in one of the driest places on Earth, I really, REALLY miss the rain, the thunders and lightning of my childhood...

Rgds.
G.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos