Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a3xx900

New AA Livery Not Set In Stone

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Quoting QANTASvJet (Reply 48):
Would be great to get a campaign going to urge them to put the new logo on the tail and winglets, in just this sort of way. Twitter, facebook, anybody?

A facebook page maybe?

I really should be working....   
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

ouboy79

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Thread starter):

I didn't see this posted in the AA repaint thread.

American Airlines new design not a done deal post-merger, says incoming CEO

I had actually posted comments in the Livery thread that Parker made after the merger was announced. This isn't anything new, but the gist of his comments were that he's going to listen to the employees on the livery. I see the new logo and font type remaining. The tail is toast. They can easily modify the paint scheme to incorporate some of the existing US scheme into it - much like what they did with US/HP.

Quoting a3xx900 (Reply 35):
if they consider redoing it, I might have a solution... Nothing drastic, they can still pay whoever came up with the new CI but the tail is less colorfull yet shows the eagle (which I really like btw) and the "American" letters are chrome-polished as a salute to the good old AA days  

Too much white/gray IMO. I agree with the placement for the new logo, but doesn't seem to really do enough for the paint scheme. Good job though.  

If anything we will see a new heritage logo more than likely.

a3xx900

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 51):
If anything we will see a new heritage logo more than likely.

They should really keep the new logo. It combines the eagle, the "A", a star, the colors of the flag... It grows on me I must say...
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

b737100

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Well, it is kinda growing on me, I really did not like it at first. The old logo is as iconic as the Pan American blue globe. It would be great if somehow the old logo could be retained in a updated version and maybe a nod to US/HP for unity. My 2 cents 
Boeing 737 sunjet service

DFWHeavy

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 pm

I guess we should just paint it boring white like everyone else...  

Keep the new livery. It looks really good and it's nice to have some color for once.
Christopher W Slovacek

rwy04lga

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 2):
This is good news. The new livery is so terrible

Quoting cruiseshipcrew (Reply 13):
Delta Airlines

Delta Air Lines...three words, one great airline(also 3 words).

Quoting BN747 (Reply 17):
America's premier carrier

...is NOT American Airlines! By ANY stretch of the imagination.

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 39):
Nor is it the only place in the world where aviation is discussed.

Well, it SHOULD be!!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

PETRHSR

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Quoting ukoverlander (Reply 14):
Get rid of it. It's hideous - a crass, in your face, tasteless design that lacks any kind of class or subtlety.

Thus being entirely suitable, some might argue, for gracing the aircraft in service with AMERICAN airlines?
First class isn't a seat, it's a lifestyle.

BN747

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 55):
Quoting BN747 (Reply 17):
America's premier carrier

...is NOT American Airlines! By ANY stretch of the imagination.

No? ... name any other better known, better identified US carrier worldwide? Even identified in countries it does not serve...

United? No chance.

Delta? Not even close.

...let's hear it then?

It is undisputedly ... American Airlines.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Lofty

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 pm

If the New American is to say we are new and the old is gone then the new identity needs to reflect that. I watched a New American land at LHR the other day and it looked great and installed pride in me. It was new and fresh and brought the airline out of the seventies.

flyfree727

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 pm

As I predicted when the new livery was announced, one thing was for sure.. 50% would love it, 50% would hate it.. So, 1/2 of you need to get over it! (pick either half). I havent seen this much commotion over a piece of tail, since, well, never.

AA ORD

EA CO AS

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Quoting DL WIDGET HEAD (Reply 31):
Slap an AA and eagle on the US tail in place of their stylized flag and the name "American" on the fuselage and there you have it.

I could definitely get behind this.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DocLightning

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Quoting flyfree727 (Reply 59):
As I predicted when the new livery was announced, one thing was for sure.. 50% would love it, 50% would hate it.. So, 1/2 of you need to get over it! (pick either half). I havent seen this much commotion over a piece of tail, since, well, never.

But that's not what happened. Some hate it, but were destined to from the get-go.

VERY few people like the tail. MANY people like the rest of the livery and new brand.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

I380North

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:51 pm

I think most miss the point that the rebranded AA wants to be simply known as AMERICAN. That's powerful. Slapping the old tired A+eagle+A on the tail defeats the rebrand purpose. I believe DP was fully consulted on the new livery. I am in the camp that this livery will grow on you. It has already grown on me. I predict it shall become timeless.

Regarding the OP, do you really believe your reference blog. Take a look at this: http://skift.com/2013/03/19/boeing-o...to-land-15-6-million-ryanair-deal/

I do not believe a blog that can't proof read their post. if you believe FR paid Boeing $15.6 M for 175 B737 and DP will revisit the livery, then I have an ocean property in NE that I want to sell you.

Mcoov

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

If AA is really getting rid of the new paint (and I really hope they are), they should modify TWA's last livery and use that. THAT was one slick paint job.

TheSultanOfWing

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

I saw the tail for the 1st time between all the Copa planes at PTY the other day!
Not as bad as some of you seem to think!

Pretty American though.....
I feel like the A318 at times: I am probably worth more parted out than as a whole.

Independence76

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Quoting I380North (Reply 62):
I believe DP was fully consulted on the new livery.

100% incorrect.

It has been stated numerous times by Tom Horton that US Airways had absolutely no part in the developments between AA and FutureBrand during the design process.

a36001

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:48 pm

The new livery is a class act IMO. It's bright, clean very modern and display's national pride through having your beautiful flag on the most prominent part of the aircraft. To me, nothing says America more than seeing the Stars and Stripes! Hell even I as an Australian had national pride on your behalf when I flew into LAX and saw your flag for the first time! And being an airline named American, maybe, just maybe the Stars and Stripes should play a feature role in the branding.

There is no point is having the flag painted as is (ie: A flag) onto the tail, it has to be eye catching and bold but at the same time being recognisable as the American flag. And no one does eye catching and BOLD better than the USA.   Happy Easter..

displane

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:49 pm

To me, sounds like the CEO is just looking at ways on how to still get his $20 mil plus in severance pay.

Wishing they at least keep the soaring eagle. Already bad enough that UA removed the tulip.  

SXDFC

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:55 pm

I like the new AA colors, one thing I wish they would do is pick a consistant silver. Maybe its just me, but some planes seem to sport a different version of the "silver" color. The drawings AA released a few months back depicting the 738MAX and 787 should be the silver they use on their planes today..

I havent seen this much commotion over a piece of tail,

That depends on what you mean by "piece of tail"  

flashmeister

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 34):
Am I the only who doesn't find US's current scheme attractive?

Nope. I can't stand it. It looks like some in-house-designed Illustrator hack job from the same marketing folks that decided that the back of America West planes should look like Fred Flintstone's underwear.

Wait, that's exactly what it is. Designed in house, in a hurry. Painting over it will be a good thing.

shamrock604

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 am

People really, REALLY need to move on about this subject.

People outside the airline industry generally really like the new livery, and they are the target - not the small proportion of us who work in or follow the industry.

IrishAyes

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:10 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 70):
People outside the airline industry generally really like the new livery, and they are the target - not the small proportion of us who work in or follow the industry.

My sister doesn't know the first thing about airlines and her reaction to the new paint scheme?

"I'm glad American's tight chapter 11 budget allows them to pay for sh"tty new logo designers. If I were a creditor, I would be pissed!"

I am so happy this livery is going to be short-lived!!!

ozark1

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 am

There is a God! I beg of you Mr. Parker, please change yet another inept decision by AA management!

TWA772LR

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 am

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 63):

If AA is really getting rid of the new paint (and I really hope they are), they should modify TWA's last livery and use that. THAT was one slick paint job

I agree 110%. Or at least make a TW retro jet, I would love to see TW's colors on a 737.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

WROORD

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 am

Quoting jayunited (Reply 4):
If the livery is going to change wouldn't it make since for AA to stop repainting their aircraft in order to save money?

My point exactly.

ouboy79

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am

Quoting a3xx900 (Reply 52):
They should really keep the new logo. It combines the eagle, the "A", a star, the colors of the flag... It grows on me I must say...

I'm not talking about the new AA logo, I think it is fine and they can keep it. I'm talking about an obvious additional that Parker will make - an updated HERITAGE logo that goes on every aircraft...

AAIL86

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 75):
I'm not talking about the new AA logo, I think it is fine and they can keep it. I'm talking about an obvious additional that Parker will make - an updated HERITAGE logo that goes on every aircraft...

Fine, but were are the Trans Caribbean, Air Cal, Reno Air, and TWA logos in that lineup??
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869

olddominion727

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 am

@rj777 I could not agree more!!

BN747

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:56 am

People outside the airline industry generally really like the new livery

..and you've taken or seen this poll where?

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 69):
I can't stand it. It looks like some in-house-designed Illustrator hack job from the same marketing folks that decided that the back of America West planes should look like Fred Flintstone's underwear.

Bingo!

Not everyone agrees on artwork. If you can draw or paint in a mediocre fashion (anything from pencil, charcoal, water or oil paintings) you certainly have an eye that rises above that of the average viewer. You know sophistication in art and design, what's simple yet elegant or clever and thoughtful and you know garbage when you see it. Those who have zero talent when it comes to visual arts are most likely ... to well, like anything that can stick to a wall. Just like music, some people have an ear that can pick out every single instrument and notes in song and others p.. a bag of cats screaming to be let out .. is what they like to bang their heads to.

From what I'm seeing most that like this new livery are younger types who actually have no appreciation or attachment to the evolving of carrier logos. They just haven't the advantage of the years to observe the process over a long period of time. They are same ones who get wind of a carrier ailing.. and say things like let 'em die.. don't help them, profit or die. Sorry, but that's more of a detached WWF attitude about the love of the industry and players.. no real dedication at all.

I personally come from the age of a proud lengthy list of US carriers... there was at one time about 12-15 good sized legacy carriers and was happy with each existing as they did. If you closely, Russia's civil aviation scene went from one dominant carrier and 1 or 2 shadow carriers to an explosive list of widebody operatprs -

Transaero - 744 743 742 773 772
Aeroflot - 77W A330 763
Orenair - 772
Vladivostok - A330
Nordwinds - 772 763
I-Fly - A330
Rossiya - 763
S7 - 763
UT-Air - 762
and a growing VIM and Ural, who will be flying widebodies soon enough.

China also went from a one state carrier to a huge list of widebody operator/competitors

..this is when I got excited about US airlines and the industry, they were growing and had character. We're now headed to where Russia and China use to be..fewer and fewer - due to 'merger mania', when everyone knows.. it is impossible to provide 'personal service (a the semblance therein)' when your company is just too big to fail. But nevertheless, one of them is going to fail, UA, DL or AA/US .. they will somehow, after all this .. find a way to destroy themselves and all the carriers they ate up getting there.

American Airlines as we know it, with it's timeless ribbon and AA/Eagle tail is the last icon of the best era in American commercial aviation, and perhaps that's what i hate see to disappear. But I know one thing for certain... you can't stop change. I accept that... but some change can be pretty tasteless and bad or or not so good but grow on you..or it can be great ..right off the bat. BUT IMHO, this design in part (the tail) was of the worst kind. No sophistication whatsoever and as someone who is good with a pencil, okay with water color and a bit of an eye for art.. this is just downright pathetic - for the last great giant.

I must admit, I've even lost a great deal of enthusiasm of growing my vast video archive and desire to shoot due to all that has disappeared. But I must admit, were I a young Russian aviation enthusiast... I'd be pulling for the continued growth of my nations' carriers, it must be exciting, versus the continued shrinkage we are seeing here in the US. There's just nothing exciting about it. And how could it possibly get worse? ...making what remains, too ugly to look at.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

flyguy89

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 am

Quoting BOACCunard (Reply 45):

I've never really understood the love for it. It's not bad, but it's really quite bland.

Nope. I can't stand it. It looks like some in-house-designed Illustrator hack job from the same marketing folks that decided that the back of America West planes should look like Fred Flintstone's underwear.

Wait, that's exactly what it is. Designed in house, in a hurry. Painting over it will be a good thing.

Lol thanks, glad I'm not the only one, it does indeed look cheaply done, the only element I like is the flag, which was incidentally carried over from the old livery.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 78):

People outside the airline industry generally really like the new livery

http://simpliflying.com/2013/a-stati...t-of-american-airlines-rebranding/

Pretty much the closest thing we're ever going to get to a comprehensive poll on AA's re-brand.

I can't stand it. It looks like some in-house-designed Illustrator hack job from the same marketing folks that decided that the back of America West planes should look like Fred Flintstone's underwear.

Bingo!

He's talking about US Airways' current livery, which was designed in-house.

iFlyLOTs

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:29 am

Bingo!

I just want to make sure, you know he was talking about the US livery, correct?

From what I'm seeing most that like this new livery are younger types who actually have no appreciation or attachment to the evolving of carrier logos. They just haven't the advantage of the years to observe the process over a long period of time.

I love the new logo. And while yes, I am the "younger type" I also loved the old logo, it really was timeless, but it was time for an update. Most carriers rebranded after their bankruptcies, and I don't see what was wrong with American doing the same. They were going to have to update the livery, you can't have polished metal on a plastic plane, and I think what they came out with is great!

And while you may believe that because I'm younger I have no appreciation for the old airlines, I'm just going to put this out there, I thought it was blasphemy when United got rid of the tulip, I still think that the southwest planes looked better with their tan paint jobs, I think the 90s Delta scheme was their best, I wish ATA was still around because I loved going with my dad and watching their birds fly into and out of MDW. But things change and unfortunately my generation doesn't care about the "timeless" look. They want it modern, and that's what they got with the new scheme.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

exFWAOONW

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:39 am

I havent seen this much commotion over a piece of tail, since,

the Pamela Anderson sex tape???
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

shamrock604

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 am

And you have taken or seen this poll that proves otherwise where exactly?

Oh, you dont have one?

Reading "airline / aviation" forums, the reaction tends to be negative.

Reading anything else, the reactions seems rather positive.

Just my observation. American have spent quite a bit of money on this, and whether you like it or not, the aircraft livery is NOT going to stop anyone booking with them, especially when the other elements of the branding such as website etc etc are all generally so pleasing to the eye.

BN747

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:11 am

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 80):
Bingo!

I just want to make sure, you know he was talking about the US livery, correct?

Actually, I didn't.. but I'm safe in that I stated up (earlier post) that US Airways never met an ugly livery didn't like.
The previous dark blue was their best livery ever! This current look...not quite as bad as 'new AA'..but in that ballpark.

I thought it was blasphemy when United got rid of the tulip,

Agreed.

But things change and unfortunately my generation doesn't care about the "timeless" look.

Yes, I was of the FF (fast forward) mindset at your age too.. liked rapid updates.

They want it modern, and that's what they got with the new scheme.

And 'modern' doesn't always ..necessarily mean good. For example...

Old JAL vs New JAL
Old Iran Air vs New Iran Air
Avianca to Summa and back to the Avianca look...
New Royal Brunei vs Old RB
Old Iberia vs New Iberia (IB put the brakes on that one... hopeful like AA is about to do)

..modern doesn't always mean better...

BN747

polaris

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:14 am

Good! It is ugh-lee!

AeroWesty

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:18 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 82):

It took until well into the third page of results on Google to find an article that didn't have some relation to aviation media, but here was the first one from a non-aviation site or writer:

«http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2013/01/analyzing-american-airlines-disastrous-redesign»

(a.net won't auto-format the URL for some reason)

Something Lousy in the Air: Analyzing American Airlines’ Disastrous Redesign

Quote:
The airline just unveiled a new design—oops, sorry, I meant to say “new branding”—that replaces the Vignellis’ classic design with a tiresome, rather trite abstraction of the American flag on the tail, the American name in gargantuan gray letters on the fuselage, and a bizarre new logo that abstracts the eagle into nothing more than a disembodied, curving white beak that looks like it is ripping into a field of blue and red.
International Homo of Mystery

flyguy89

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:46 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 85):

It took until well into the third page of results on Google to find an article that didn't have some relation to aviation media, but here was the first one from a non-aviation site or writer:

What exactly did you type in for the search? I searched "American Airlines rebrand" with several non-aviation sites being on the first page, searching "new American Airlines livery", I found several on the first and second pages.

AeroWesty

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 86):
What exactly did you type in for the search?

"AA livery change"
International Homo of Mystery

flyfree727

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 am

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 71):
My sister doesn't know the first thing about airlines and her reaction to the new paint scheme?

"I'm glad American's tight chapter 11 budget allows them to pay for sh"tty new logo designers. If I were a creditor, I would be pissed!"

However, come travel time, I bet she, along with millions others, is only looking for price and could care less about a color scheme.

Quoting exFWAOONW (Reply 81):
I havent seen this much commotion over a piece of tail, since,

the Pamela Anderson sex tape???

For some odd reason, I have a feeling the majority of A.netters are more interested in AA's tail.

Reading "airline / aviation" forums, the reaction tends to be negative.

That seems to be true with almost ANY topic on here.. It if ain't YOUR favorite airline and something YOU agree with, then its the most stupidest thing ever.

whether you like it or not, the aircraft livery is NOT going to stop anyone booking with them

Exactly.. Paint it "invisible" and if the price were right...
price sensitive customers click "cheapest fare" and thats pretty much all they care about.

AA ORD

flybyguy

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 am

Quoting Noise (Reply 28):
The US Airways scheme is classy and beautiful.

You've got to be kidding me. The old 2000 scheme was much more classy than the one US is flying around with today. LCC scheme for an LCC oriented airline.

I believe the current scheme from American is inspired by an Art Deco aesthetic and is unique. No one complains when BA places the British flag on the tails of its planes... nope it's artistic and "tasteful". But when the American flag is displayed on one of our planes it's obscene. I think that people are more repulsed by the display of patriotism than the artistic expression exhibited in the livery.

I do believe Doug Parker hasn't seen the numbers yet regarding the cost to repaint each airplane in the combined fleet. That's why he's non-committal. It has absolutely nothing to do with the "beauty" "ugliness" of each respective fleet. Parker is just going to choose the cheapest way to promote the brand on a combined fleet of nearly 900 airplanes.

Personally I think the re-branding is probably here to stay (at least for the short term) because so much money has been spent revamping the website, paying consultants and testing the new brand. Parker would have to essentially start again if he wanted an new livery... not smart when there is so much cost involved in integrating more important things like employees, fleets, reservations systems etc.

He has a new livery ready for the paint shop handed to him on a silver platter... he'd be a fool not to take it. The question really is, is the paint job affordable?
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

usflyer msp

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 am

Quoting flybyguy (Reply 89):
I believe the current scheme from American is inspired by an Art Deco aesthetic and is unique. No one complains when BA places the British flag on the tails of its planes... nope it's artistic and "tasteful". But when the American flag is displayed on one of our planes it's obscene. I think that people are more repulsed by the display of patriotism than the artistic expression exhibited in the livery.

What a bunch of crap. The problem is not that AA has a flag on it s tail (heck US does too), the problem is that AA's tail fail is extremely poorly executed, garish, and just plain ugly representation of the US flag. That is why it needs to go...

BN747

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:57 am

I think that people are more repulsed by the display of patriotism than the artistic expression exhibited in the livery.

No it's about taste and style.

An American Flag on anything doesn't make it patriotic.

The UJ could have easily been painted as ugly as AA's new tail...but it wasn't (at least the final design was not).

Hell, give some of the A.net fantasy designers 1% of what AA paid for that unmitigated disaster and I bet half them will come up with a better Flag-based design. I know I could.

BN747

[Edited 2013-03-28 23:08:49]

flyguy89

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:55 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 91):
1% of what AA paid for that unmitigated disaster

Let's cut the dramatics, seriously. "Unmitigated disaster"? Far from it. You may vehemently not like the new livery, but it's far far from an "unmitigated disaster".

I know I could.

Doubtful unless you have a background in branding. I've seen some of the proposals put forth by some on a.net, some are ok, but most are completely disconnected with any sort of identity and message associated with American's brand and are simply fanciful and wishful creations.

RedTailDTW

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:58 am

The old 2000 scheme was much more classy than the one US is flying around with today.

They probably would have kept that scheme if it weren't for the fact that, at the time, America West's hubs were in Phoenix and Las Vegas. In order to keep the aircraft cool in the hot climate, they had to get rid of the navy blue and change it to white.

They also used that opportunity to incorporate a few America West details, notably the grey swoosh.

Honestly I think it looks alot better than some airlines (United especially)

- Mason
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, AS, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170/175, MD80/83/90

BN747

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:36 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 92):

Let's cut the dramatics, seriously. "Unmitigated disaster"? Far from it. You may vehemently not like the new livery, but it's far far from an "unmitigated disaster"

No..really, it is.

When a CEO actually 'verbalizes' concern... something has gone seriously wrong.

I know I could.

Doubtful unless you have a background in branding.

I am indeed a bit of artist.. are you? Then check your arrogance... unless you are too.

Art, artwork is art ...no matter what spinoff variation form it takes.

It's a matter of incorporating a given imagine (branding) into a creative art design piece.
Your comment on some A.netters designs 'being ok' is an endorsement of sorts of non-branding professionals (don't hold back extending any real credit - some of these guys could actually make a living out of if they chose to do so).

BN747

flyguy89

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 94):

Let's cut the dramatics, seriously. "Unmitigated disaster"? Far from it. You may vehemently not like the new livery, but it's far far from an "unmitigated disaster"

No..really, it is.

According to who? Do you have data or sources to back that up other than grumblings on a.net?

Find me one negative thing Doug Parker has said about the livery.

I am indeed a bit of artist

Art does not equal branding, indeed one needs a background in art for the design aspect of branding but one also needs to understand consumer messaging and integrated communications which form the brand.

are you? Then check your arrogance... unless you are too.

I do work in marketing/branding, not in the design area, but we are necessarily trained to have an eye for analyzing design and creative elements which present compelling branding.

It's a matter of incorporating a given imagine (branding) into a creative art design piece.

A lot more goes into brand design than that.

Your comment on some A.netters designs 'being ok' is an endorsement of sorts of non-branding professionals

Sure, some were able to effectively capture the elements that make up the AA brand, but none that I saw did so in a way that was more compelling than the one they went with.

Dtw757

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 pm

This all cracks me up. I remember when Northwest took their last livery and all the hate that was spewed on here about how god awful it was. Comments like "NWA" omg that's terrible it's like a rap group and "The arrow is pointing northeast on the right side of the plane" and countless other negative remarks toward that livery. In the end Northwest had pretty much painted all the mainline fleet and a good portion of the regional fleet in the 2003 livery. Now Northwest is no more but I am sure there are folks who would love to see the red tails in the air again.

There are a lot of memories associated with the old AA livery both good and bad. The new livery is a fresh start. Unless American's business were to fall significantly due to a public outcry over this new livery and branding; you're going to be seeing a lot more of it in the skies all around the world for the next 10+ years.

I for one am looking forward to my first flight on the "new" American next week when I fly the 77W from DFW-LHR. For it's inside these new aircraft where the passengers ride that's part of what makes or breaks an airline.

The passenger just wants great service from curb to curb. They want a good price on their ticket, they want to arrive at their destination on time with their luggage, and most importantly they don't want to be treated poorly. If there are some nice amenities on the aircraft then that's a bonus for them. Most of the flying public doesn't even know what type of equipment they are flying on and don't care and certainly could care less about the tail. They aren't buying the plane, they are just buying a seat on it. It's airline enthusiasts who care about the livery and tail, not the bulk of the passengers.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

777STL

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

No..really, it is.

Go back and read what Parker said. He doesn't verbalize concern, he basically said he had no clue what they were going to do with the livery and that they have an opportunity to change it if they are so inclined. I agree with him, you are being very over dramatic here.

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 95):
Find me one negative thing Doug Parker has said about the livery.

I just read through his quote in that article twice and it doesn't sound critical to me.
PHX based

BN747

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Quoting 777STL (Reply 97):

Go back and read what Parker said. He doesn't verbalize concern, he basically said he had no clue what they were going to do with the livery and that they have an opportunity to change it if they are so inclined. I agree with him, you are being very over dramatic here.

"American Airlines shouldn’t let the paint dry on that new livery design: Incoming American CEO Doug Parker, who currently heads US Airways, told employees ...

“Maybe we need to do something slightly different than that, it may be something dramatically different than that. I really don’t know the answer Steve.."

Do any of you know how to 'read' CEO political-speak?

No CEO is going to come right and say 'I don't like it'.. that is an outright condemnation of the previous CEO and volley fired in a tiff war - when none needs to exist. At this point all public comments are super-sensitive as not to offend and press ahead with the merger on the smoothest terms possible.

Of all the mergers that have a occurred in US airline history, none of you can find a CEO addressing a 'new livery' in such negative terms as ' possible dismissal'. His comments are in no way an 'embracing endorsement'. Just the exact opposite. Politically speaking... he's saying in the kindest terms possible.. there is a problem here. I'm not sure if you two are too young understand what is being said when people of this stature make such comments or what.. but this is along those lines where some Dept. Head says to you 'well, we'll have to see what happens when the project is completed..." -- what he is saying and you are not hearing it is - you've just been handed your hat... you have been fired! Today is exactly how such messages are delivered ..in the kindest of subtleties..

What? Did you guys really expect Parker to come right and say it blows??? He's not going come right out an antagonize any of the AA team responsible for it in such a brazen manner! Old school CEO ex-AA chief Bob Crandall would and dip it in a couple extra expletives! But in today's political speak... that's exactly what Parker is saying and I seriously doubt he really cares one way or the other, BUT his addressing it in the above terms has to be based on a wave of negative feedback.. far too much to ignore for sake of the AA brand.

Disagree as much as you like... but watch what happens next. Like I said, a tell tale sign will be an easing back in paint schedules. it will be very noticeable. And somewhere, in the most secretive fashion...a new design team is working around the clock to come up with something a bit less controversial. With two OneWorld carriers just recently abandoning their newly approved branding...(IB & JAL) this harbinger does not bode well for the new AA look, something is definitely up.

BN747

ouboy79

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 76):
Fine, but were are the Trans Caribbean, Air Cal, Reno Air, and TWA logos in that lineup??

What are you talking about? That is the current US Airways heritage logo that is on every aircraft. What I was saying is that this will likely be updated once Parker is in control of AA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos