747srule
Topic Author

Flight Radar 24 And FlightAware

Fri May 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Anyone here having problems with these sites? I have not been able to get much info off them for almost a week. I really like these, but they are not working very well. Thoughts, comments?
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

SpaceshipDC10

RE: Flight Radar 24 And FlightAware

Fri May 03, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't use them a lot, but before seeing your thread, I wanted to check the location of a flight that had departed YYZ and have had no problem with both. It's been a while since I last encountered difficulties with Flightradar.

JAGflyer

Sat May 04, 2013 1:25 am

I really like FlightRadar24 however I find for some reason it does not show some flights in YYZ (mainly small regional carriers from the US and Jazz Dash 8s). Do the smaller planes not have the same type of transponder as big ones? I would think they do.

[Edited 2013-05-03 18:29:39]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

KFlyer

Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 am

Flightradar24 takes its data from actual ADS-B receivers located in various parts of the world. So that if a certain place is not available, that means either the receiver for that area is temporarily turned off or there is no receiver located there at present. Flightaware on the other hand, uses multiple data sources such as FAA data, schedules etc. - and in my personal experience, is thus more prone to data errors.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

PHX787

Sat May 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I have no issues with neither site except fightaware has limited service, especially in Japan. Tracking the 787 test flights here has been impossible, and only doable with FR24.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

GCT64

Sat May 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Quoting jagflyer (Reply 2):
I really like FlightRadar24 however I find for some reason it does not show some flights in YYZ (mainly small regional carriers from the US and Jazz Dash 8s). Do the smaller planes not have the same type of transponder as big ones? I would think they do.

FR24 uses two sources of info:
Primary: The ADS-B Out data - transmitted by aircraft and received by basestations linked into the FR24 network (in real time); and
Secondary: The FAA data - from the FAA radar network (delayed 5 minutes) (this data is also used by Flightaware)

Currently, not all aircraft have, or are required to have, ADS-B Out capabilities so, as an example, you will pick up WN 738s positions and tracks but not WN 737s or 733s. On my Kinetic SBS-1 (one type of ADS-B receiver and linked into FR24) in the UK, I will not see positions or tracks for BE DHC-8s or Embraers as they do not transmit ADS-B data. I will see BA, FR, U2 etc. Most GA does not transmit ADS-B at the current time.

It is likely that the regional aircraft that aren't showing on FR24 at YYZ are not transmitting ADS-B Out data (from my trips to the US, I know that virtually no regional jets do). As new aircraft arrive, they are likely to be equipped with ADS-B Out (the US requires ADS-B Out by 2020).

Those who want to improve global FR24 coverage - please go and buy an ADS-B receiver and plug it into the FR24 network!
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

baw787

Sun May 05, 2013 3:35 pm

You can always try some of the others, my fave is http://www.rb24.com

GentFromAlaska

Sun May 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Another option would be to listen to live ATC chat if your airport is loaded here. http://www.liveatc.net/. The URL host most of the worlds airports towers and ATC centers. The ATC centers are towards the bottom of the URL. The six minute delay in flightaware is overcome fairly easily.

I believe liveATC.net towers are listed alphabetically by airport IATA code. Keep in mind the first character in the IATA code will change from country to country or region to region or continent to continent. "K" is U.S. lower forty eight. Alaska and Hawaii would be "P" Canada of course is "C" and Mexico begins with a "M" Europe begins would be a "E" The second code is the actual airport identifier e.g. KBNA or Nashville is cataloged alphabetically under "B" and not "N" for Nashville. The "B" to my understanding translates to Berry Field which is the name of the Nashville, TN airport. Had I not known I would have probably started searching "N" for Nashville.

I've actually followed a flight my spouse was on switching between ATC departure, centers and arrivals. Flighaware.com translates most of the flight path fairly well in understandable plain language. You have to listen intently though
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos