ariis
Topic Author

Passenger Spots A Fuel Leak On LO Flight To NY

Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 am

Hi there,

Happened last Sunday, but I think nobody raised this here (here is the only English news I found):
http://lurer.com/?p=98167&l=en

Departed safely 6 hours later.

Polish here:
http://kontakt24.tvn24.pl/temat,samo...k-paliwa,85974,html?categoryId=496

Best regards

FAO
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

ariis
Topic Author

RE: Passenger Spots A Fuel Leak On LO Flight To NY

Tue May 07, 2013 10:02 am

P.S.: Too bad the (English part) photo is so IRRELEVANT... The plane was B767 SP-LPA.

[Edited 2013-05-07 03:03:59]
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

MesaFlyGuy

Tue May 07, 2013 12:36 pm

I really do feel bad for LO. They have NO luck with their longhaul ops.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

LH526

Tue May 07, 2013 1:08 pm

So the plane was on the ground or airborne? I assume that any abnormal en-route fuel-decrease would cause some system alarms.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

katekebo

Tue May 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Quoting LH526 (Reply 3):

So the plane was on the ground or airborne? I assume that any abnormal en-route fuel-decrease would cause some system alarms.

A passenger spotted the leak while they were taxing. The passenger alerted cabin crew who in turn informed the pilots. The aircraft returned to the terminal. The leak was fixed and the aircraft took off six hours after scheduled departure time. The airline is analyzing the incident. They are also considering how to recognize the passenger for spotting the problem.

il75

Tue May 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Could a fuel leak like this -if unnoticed- lead to a take off fire (like the Concorde)? How hazardous is an incident like this appart of the fact that the aircraft would be loosing range?

MCOflyer

Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 pm

I'd say give the pax free Y tickets for a year. What he/she did saved the lives of the pax onboard and prevented another incident like Air Transat 236. Well done to the pax and kudos to him or her for doing the right thing.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Planesmart

Tue May 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Reminds me of an instance as a child (so 40+ years ago), when flying I think from Gatwick in a Comet to Spain. Sat on the tarmac, and I noticed a pool of liquid forming below a wing. The plane is leaking fuel, said a small child, causing panic amongst his family and other passengers. What would a 10 year old know?

The flight attendants assured passengers this was the vivid imagination of a child, and was condensation.

We took off, and what seemed like a short space of time, we started descending, apparently to Stanstead, which was either their maintenance base or where a spare aircraft was located.

After a wait, we climbed aboard another Comet, and the journey commenced again.

Still too soon to be in Spain, the plane started descending, and this time we landed in Bristol.

Passengers were given the option of leaving the plane, or continuing the journey when it was fixed or replacement arrived.

Probably half the passengers left. By this time, my mother was keen to have an English holiday, but dad insisted we've paid, so we are going.

Not sure if we flew on the same plane (brother reckoned it was the original Gatwick plane), uneventfully to Spain. We had heaps of room to move around. Was in the days when u got a snack on package tours, so the crew gave us two each.

Next year we switched to a different airline.

FlyDeltaJets

Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Quoting il75 (Reply 5):
Could a fuel leak like this -if unnoticed- lead to a take off fire (like the Concorde)? How hazardous is an incident like this appart of the fact that the aircraft would be loosing range?

Probably not. Jet Fuel needs a lot to combust. Likely what would have happened if this was not noticed by the passenger would have been a diversion or air return when the fuel burn and level of fuel in the tanks didn't match up.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

luisinho

Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 am

hiii Planesmart  

Was the airline that you flew to Spain Dan-Air London? They have a terrible reputation for maintenance within the Comet Fleet...

Cheers

Luis

spacecadet

Wed May 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Quoting il75 (Reply 5):

Jet fuel pretty much needs to be vaporized in order to combust. Additionally, in the absence of a spark, it would need to be at the exact right temperature to spontaneously ignite. That's why it combusts in accidents, and in cases like TWA800. I've seen lots of tests done where people *try* to set a puddle of it on fire and it just goes right out.

I wouldn't worry about it catching fire. I'd worry more about having to quickly divert to another airport after takeoff due to fuel loss.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

cbphoto

Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Not to scare the crap out of the flying public, but minor fuel "seeps" are allowed and approved by the FAA and other regulatory agencies for passenger operations, providing the seeps are closely monitored by maintenance! We will fly with them on occasion and there is absolutely no risk to the public or aircraft. Trust me, I wouldn't risk my own butt if it wasn't  
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

longhauler

Thu May 09, 2013 1:10 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 6):
What he/she did saved the lives of the pax onboard and prevented another incident like Air Transat 236. Well done to the pax and kudos to him or her for doing the right thing.
Quoting cbphoto (Reply 11):
Not to scare the crap out of the flying public, but minor fuel "seeps" are allowed and approved by the FAA

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but yes .... it happens all the time. The tanks are not as sealed as one would like to think.

In fact, with most fuel leaks, it is the passenger that notices first. It doesn't take an awful lot of fluid to "look" like a lot. So a leak rate of say 1/4 kg per minute, would actually look like fuel is "gushing" out of the wing. But ... that's only 15 Kgs per hour, and with say a 100,000 kg fuel load ... its not a lot.

So at each way-point, when you do a fuel check; That is fuel used, added to fuel on board, should equal departed fuel ... it would take a few hours before it is even noticed. And likely, a passenger would have seen it first.

With regard to Transat 236, I have not read the accident report, I don't know why the crew did not notice the loss of fuel.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Planesmart

Thu May 09, 2013 3:29 am

Quoting luisinho (Reply 9):

It was indeed.

A stewardess told us she worked for DanDare.

For two young lads, the extra take offs and landings were a bonus, though this was not a view shared by most of the passengers (including mother and sister). Getting a row of seats each to ourselves, and two meals, was the icing on the cake.

Previous flights on Comets, and the return flight, were fine.

The following year we flew on a BAC111, and the next year on a Tristar.

I would much prefer a flight was delayed, than for the crew to take a punt.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos