Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Viscount724
Topic Author

Diverted CX 77W Being Ferried YWG-HKG

Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 am

Update on the CX 77W (B-KPE operating CX806) HKG-ORD that diverted to YWG on Thursday due to a fire warning in the cargo compartment. (Another thread on this was deleted. There is a thread in the Travel/Polls/Preferences forum but it seems irrelevant to that forum.)

Related YWG newspaper report with some photos re the diversion and related handling.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-safely-in-Winnipeg-206799601.html

CX837 YVR-HKG was cancelled Thursday and the aircraft flown to YWG to rescue the stranded passengers and fly them to ORD, arriving well after midnight.

The aircraft that diverted is currently being ferried YWG-HKG nonstop as CX3331. Probably the first-ever YWG-HKG nonstop flight.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CPA3331

Wonder if anyone got a photo of the 2 CX 77Ws on the ground at YWG simultaneously?

Excerpt from Transport Canada occurrence report re the diversion:

A Cathay Pacific Boeing 777-300 (B-KPE/ CPA806) from Hong Kong (VHHH) to Chicago (KORD) declared an emergency at 1730Z due to a fire warning indication in the cargo hold area. The aircraft advised diverting to Winnipeg (CYWG). Full ARFF equipment call-out was requested and was ready for the aircraft when it arrived for landing. The aircraft landed safely at 1754Z. No impact to operations.

[Edited 2013-05-11 17:33:52]

707lvr

RE: Diverted CX 77W Being Ferried YWG-HKG

Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 am

No wonder it's hard to make money running an airline. Think what this essential abundance of caution must have cost for what could probably turn out to be a light bulb. Not even that - a "silicone diode" of some kind.

Fiedman

Sun May 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Don't be a stranger come back and visit anytime 
Westjet - Canada's National Low-fare Airline

b741

Sun May 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Too bad they don't sell tickets for the ferry flights!
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

boeingguy26

Sun May 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Being that my profession is not in the airline industry, what does it mean to "ferry" an airplane? Thanks in advance.

yegger

Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 pm

To "ferry" an airplane essentially means to fly it empty so as to get it in position for the next revenue flight, or in this case, to return it to a main hub and/or maintenance facility to get it back in service.

boeingguy26

Sun May 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Quoting yegger (Reply 5):

I was imagining something of the sort. Must be an awkward, lonely run for the pilots.

connies4ever

Sun May 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Quoting boeingguy26 (Reply 6):
I was imagining something of the sort. Must be an awkward, lonely run for the pilots.

Not really, they have ATC (Air Traffic Control) to keep them warm.  

It's really no different than a long freight flight. Plus they don't have to do any in-flight announcements.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

workhorse

Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 7):

This, and the flight attendants as well: I don't think you can fly a 77W with at least as much FA's as there are doors on the aircraft.

CX Flyboy

Sun May 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Quoting workhorse (Reply 8):
Quoting connies4ever (Reply 7):

This, and the flight attendants as well: I don't think you can fly a 77W with at least as much FA's as there are doors on the aircraft.

Without passengers there is no need for any cabin crew no matter how many doors there are. I've flown empty passenger 777s many times with no cabin crew on board.

For this flight it would have been a pleasure actually. Flying empty, no passengers and no cargo but an entire set of crew to look after you. No cockpit door security procedures like normal. The only worrying thing is whether the cargo fire warning goes off again!

workhorse

Sun May 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Quoting cx flyboy (Reply 9):
Without passengers there is no need for any cabin crew no matter how many doors there are

Oh, my bad, I didn't know it was possible (or rather that it was allowed)...

How do you do when you fly without cabin crew? Do you follow all the same procedures that the cabin crew would follow (closing and arming the doors, crosschecking etc) for all doors on the aircraft before proceding to the cockpit and stating the engines? Also, how do you do for climate control, lights and all other things that the FA's usually take care off during a regular flight? Do you have all the buttons you need in the cockpit or you have to go to the cabin to do it?

[Edited 2013-05-12 14:03:21]

CX Flyboy

Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Quoting workhorse (Reply 10):

Actually we only arm the front two doors since in an evacuation those are the only two doors that the pilots are going to use. During the flight, cabin temperatures and lighting are pretty irrelevant to us so we don't touch them since we aren't going to be in the cabin. We tend to just leave it as it was when we found it. All the cabin lighting controls are done from the cabin control screen in the cabin but we have temperature control for the cabin if we need to change it.

workhorse

Sun May 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks for the answer! Looking forward to fly CX again!

brilondon

Sun May 12, 2013 11:41 pm

Actually they pilots have plenty to do on a ferry flight. They have to fly the aircraft and that doesn't change. They are busy with the operations of flying the aircraft and having passengers on board or not, they are not lonely as you suggested.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

7BOEING7

Sun May 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 13):
Actually they pilots have plenty to do on a ferry flight. They have to fly the aircraft and that doesn't change. They are busy with the operations of flying the aircraft and having passengers on board or not, they are not lonely as you suggested.

They also have to get up and get their own coffee and box lunches when they get hungry.

BoeingGuy

Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 1):
No wonder it's hard to make money running an airline. Think what this essential abundance of caution must have cost for what could probably turn out to be a light bulb. Not even that - a "silicone diode" of some kind.

First of all, the 777 Cargo Fire Warning is an EICAS message, not a "light bulb". Secondly, you're also very unaware of aviation safety. You don't keep flying a 777 full of people after getting a fire warning just because the captain may have a hunch it's not accurate. You land the airplane at the nearest suitable airport for any fire warning - period. There have been several historical accidents due to fire. Fortunately those have been very few due to crews making safe decisions to land.

The airline would find it much hard to make money if they started having accidents due to the unsafe activities you seem to promote.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos