doulasc
Topic Author

How Many Airlines Flew MIA-HAV Before Castro?

Sun May 12, 2013 3:46 am

Cubana flew MIA-HAV with mostly Vickers Viscounts,did they ever have a Super Constellation on that route?
Pan Am had like 8 flights with mostly DC-6Bs, National also flew the route. I am finding on route maps that Braniff
shows a a HAV-MIA and HAV-HOU but I never found a MIA-HAV flight on Braniff in timetableimages. Didn't Eastern serve
Cuba? I heard some South American carries stopped in HAV on their way to MIA. Mackey flew FLL-HAV in the end.

Type-Rated

RE: How Many Airlines Flew MIA-HAV Before Castro?

Sun May 12, 2013 4:01 am

Chicago & Southern served HAV via HOU and another route via MSY in the early 50's before the DL takeover. They used the Constellation.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Bobloblaw

Sun May 12, 2013 6:58 am

Before 1959, there was probably little to no Cuban population in MIA or NYC. Did anyone fly EWY to HAV?

bobnwa

Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 1):
Before 1959, there was probably little to no Cuban population in MIA or NYC. Did anyone fly EWY to HAV?

Tampa had sizable Cuban population before 1959 . Most were involved with the cigar industry

jfk777

Sun May 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 2):

Pre- 1959 they had to be 20 to 50 thousand cubans in Miami. The first ones didn't arrive after Fidel marched into Havana.

maxpower1954

Sun May 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Eastern never served Havana.

Miami, Tampa and New York all had sizeable Cuban populations pre-1959, but that wasn't the impetus for airline service. Americans forget today what a quick getaway Cuba was for fun seekers over half a century ago. My aunt and uncle, now long gone used to board a National Convair 440 late Friday afternoon for Havana, spend the weekend gambling, drinking and going to shows and catch a National flight home Sunday night. This was around 1955-57 and I know they went 5-6 times. It was going to Nassau for a weekend today. In fact, the Bahamas owe quite a bit to Fidel for becoming an alternate to a weekend in Havana.

You could also drive down the Overseas Highway to Key West and catch the auto ferry to Havana and drive your own car around Cuba. That would have been great!

doulasc
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2013 3:34 pm

There was an airline Aerovias Q that flew DC-4s from HAV-EYW,They also flew from HAV-PBI and TPA and were going to start service to FLL.

cubastar

Sun May 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Did anyone fly EWY to HAV?

U.S. Navy photo pilots in F8's.

Superfly

Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 5):
You could also drive down the Overseas Highway to Key West and catch the auto ferry to Havana and drive your own car around Cuba. That would have been great!

Many cars of that era are still on the road today in Cuba.

My aunt and uncle, now long gone used to board a National Convair 440 late Friday afternoon for Havana, spend the weekend gambling, drinking and going to shows and catch a National flight home Sunday night. This was around 1955-57 and I know they went 5-6 times.

That is awesome. I like to hear of travel stories from the past. Too bad they're no longer with us to share their experience. I hope they took lots of photos and left behind for you to see.
Bring back the Concorde

eastern747

Sun May 12, 2013 5:53 pm

I don't believe EA actually flew to HAV on a schedule basis.Now if you asked me how many times we had EA metal there on an unscheduled basis, that would be another story...LOLOLOLOL During the 30's my Dad was a steward on a cruise ship from NYC-HAV. It was very cheap (in those days) and attracted the fun crowd. Lots of singles and booze etc. Don't forget, airfares were too expensive for the majority of people. He did one round trip and was on the return portion of the second. They hit a hurricane (no weather services) and he said it was awlful. He got off the ship in NYC and never went back. I believe the Key West to HAV was Pan Am's first route. The actual original PA office is still in Key West and recently was a restaurant, which I believe closed. But the building is there and I believe landmarked.

rwy04lga

Sun May 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 3):
Tampa had sizable Cuban population before 1959 . Most were involved with the cigar industry

Two of whom were my grandparents, coincidentally with the last name of Castro. They arrived in Tampa in 1920.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

doulasc
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 9):

Go to kellyskeywest.com and thats a restaurant in the Pan Am's original headquarters in Key West.

lightsaber

Sun May 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Americans forget today what a quick getaway Cuba was for fun seekers over half a century ago.

It was a Las Vegas/Monte Carlo of its era. IMHO, Castro made Las Vegas, for if travel t Havana had continued as before, too many Vegas customers would have bought Cuban condos.

In fact, the Bahamas owe quite a bit to Fidel for becoming an alternate to a weekend in Havana.

The revolution changed the Caribbean tourist industry. e.g., Club Med on Jamaica instead of Cuba...

You could also drive down the Overseas Highway to Key West and catch the auto ferry to Havana and drive your own car around Cuba.

What a different time...

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 9):
During the 30's my Dad was a steward on a cruise ship from NYC-HAV. It was very cheap (in those days) and attracted the fun crowd.

That was also during prohibition. As soon as the ship went out to international waters, the alcohol would flow. IMHO, prohibition helped make Havana. Oh, it would have had a market before, but the 1930s put it on the map in a big way as that was a legal and somewhat economical way to get booze.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Viscount724

Sun May 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):
Didn't Eastern serve

Eastern never had scheduled service to HAV.

Pan Am, National, Braniff and Delta were the U.S. carriers with scheduled rights to Cuba. Delta inherited Havana and a few other Caribbean points (plus Caracas) from their 1953 merger with Chicago & Southern. They were DL's first international routes.

doulasc
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2013 1:42 am

Did any of Cubana's Super G Connies have tip tanks like TWA had on some of their Super Gs. I read somewhere Cubana operated a Super G from MIA-HAV toward the end, it was a going to dinner flight where people would arrive at MIA in the afternoon for the flight to HAV,have dinner and go to night clubs stay over night and return the next morning. A piano onboard too. What happened to Cubana's Super Gs after Castro? According to Piston Airliner production list they were WFU and broken up by 1962..

nostrum

Tue May 14, 2013 2:06 am

Before Castro Havana produced more revenues than Las Vegas and was visited by 300,000 American tourists a year before Castro took over. Wealthy Cubans were known to have lunch in Miami and return the same day back to Havana.

Type-Rated

Tue May 14, 2013 4:08 am

C&S flights to HAV usually originated at MDW. I think some of the routings were MDW-EVV-MEM-LIT-SHV-HOU-HAV there was another one that went MDW-MSY (forgot the intermediate stops) before ending up in HAV.

Yes, HAV was the LAS of the Americas before Castro. They really had a good thing going at the time. But let's not forget that a lot of airline employees (amongst others) that were HAV based lost almost everything when Castro took over. If you had a house there some companies warned their employees in advance to sell and prepare to come back to the U.S., others didn't. The Castro government just seized your house as property of the "revolution".
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

timz

Tue May 14, 2013 9:47 pm

C&S and Delta drew a line on their maps from HOU to Havana-- but did either of them ever fly it nonstop?

superjeff

Tue May 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Delta (including C&S) had a bunch of flights from MSY (New Orleans) to MBJ, SJU, CCS, and HAV per revolution. The non HAV flights continued til the early 1970's.

doulasc
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2013 12:48 am

I saw a route map for C&S from 1950 and shows Aruba and Curacao but no flights listed in the schedule.

Goldenshield

Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 am

What about Chalk's Ocean Airways? Did they do any Cuba routes back then?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Viscount724

Wed May 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 20):
What about Chalk's Ocean Airways? Did they do any Cuba routes back then?

Don't think they ever had rights to Cuba. I can only recall them serving the Bahamas.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos