DTWLAX
Topic Author

Traveling With Pressure Cooker - Arrested At DTW

Tue May 14, 2013 1:57 am

Here is the latest on pressure cookers and airline safety
http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-man-trav...ure-cooker-arrested-180030697.html

Hope the CBP and TSA does not ban pressure cookers on planes!

Cerecl

RE: Traveling With Pressure Cooker - Arrested At DTW

Tue May 14, 2013 2:10 am

Isn't this over the top? If this guy is from East Asia where pressure cookers are also commonly used, I doubt he would run into any trouble (Apparent mis-communication and incomplete passport contributed, of course). Weren't parts from Chinese-made toys/clock(?) used in the Boston bombing as well? What's next? Interrogating any Chinese who tries to bring electric toys into the US?

[Edited 2013-05-13 19:59:19]
Fokker-100 SAAB 340 Q400 E190 717 737 738 763ER 787-8 772 77E 773 77W 747-400 747-400ER A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A346 A359 A380

AA737-823

Tue May 14, 2013 2:11 am

WAIT WAIT WAIT.
While I'm the first one to rail on the STUPIDITY of the TSA...
This guy flies with a pressure cooker, lies about it, and has ripped pages out of his passport!?!?!?!
WTF!!?
And, his nephew says it's because the pressure cookers available in Saudi Arabia are "better quality" than the ones in the USA?!?!?
Good thing the Boston Bombers didn't know that...

Oh, brother... throw this guy in the chokey.

capejet

Tue May 14, 2013 2:22 am

What will they bring onboard the airplane next, the kitchen sink?

Cerecl

Tue May 14, 2013 2:28 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 2):
This guy flies with a pressure cooker

What's wrong with flying with a pressure cooker? It needs either heat or electricity to cook, so there is no possibility of terrorist activity on board.

lies about it

If you read the article, I am not sure he lied with regard to the pressure cooker. Bear in mind English is probably not his first language and this guy probably had no idea what the US is like. An incorrect statement does not equate to lying.

has ripped pages out of his passport

I agree this is stupid and wouldn't have helped at all.

And, his nephew says it's because the pressure cookers available in Saudi Arabia are "better quality" than the ones in the USA

I suspect the real reason is that in Saudi Arabia one can buy a pressure cooker that is just as good if not better than ones in the US for a fraction of the price.
Fokker-100 SAAB 340 Q400 E190 717 737 738 763ER 787-8 772 77E 773 77W 747-400 747-400ER A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A346 A359 A380

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2013 2:44 am

This guy flies with a pressure cooker

Nothing wrong with that. Is there any rule that prohibits you from flying with a pressure cooker in your luggage?

his nephew says it's because the pressure cookers available in Saudi Arabia are "better quality" than the ones in the USA?!?!?

It is true to some extent. I have lived in India before and sometimes I have noticed the difference between cookers available in Asia and those available here.

Quoting capejet (Reply 3):

Again, is there a rule that says you cannot travel with a pressure cooker? People may have been carrying cookers for ages but just because this particular case has come up, you want to make it a big issue?

SCQ83

Tue May 14, 2013 2:57 am

I don't find that weird that his uncle is bringing him a pressure cocker. If you live in another continent other than yours (I mean, somewhere you can only fly from), a visiting relative is a good way to bring things for cheap (since he or she is anyway paying for the luggage and travelling light since only visiting) that you cannot get in the country you are living in.

I am not an expert in pressure cockers but maybe he wanted a model/brand that you can only buy locally in Saudi Arabia (and I imagine not many retailers in Saudi sell on-line to the US   ). I know people who have brought paella pans from Spain to the US... or Ikea stuff from the US to Mexico (since they don't sell there)... or also Americans who live in Europe and everytime they come to the US, they "stock" and carry back a particular brand of vitamins and peanut butter. Everyone has its own obsessions... maybe this guy just wanted the same model he used back in Saudi.

About the lies... CBPs are not usually the friendliest people on earth. He was suspicious from second 1 (Saudi travelling alone with a pressure cocker!). And he was probably too naive, since he does not come from a country where he would think himself as a potential terrorist just because of the cocker. Then English is not his first language... so everything came down from there...

Quoting Cerecl (Reply 4):

Completely agree with your comments and your non-US perspective.

enilria

Tue May 14, 2013 3:10 am

Quoting Cerecl (Reply 1):
Isn't this over the top? If this guy is from East Asia where pressure cookers are also commonly used, I doubt he would run into any trouble (Apparent mis-communication and incomplete passport contributed, of course). Weren't parts from Chinese-made toys/clock(?) used in the Boston bombing as well? What's next? Interrogating any Chinese who tries to bring electric toys into the US?
This guy flies with a pressure cooker, lies about it, and has ripped pages out of his passport!?!?!?!
WTF!!?
And, his nephew says it's because the pressure cookers available in Saudi Arabia are "better quality" than the ones in the USA?!?!?

Well, there is one big problem with this. He was arriving into the USA with a pressure cooker. He had already been on the flight. So, what was the risk at the point he went through Customs? If he had a malicious plan didn't he wait a little long to hatch it? Also, I'm guessing the pressure cooker was in checked luggage, although I don't know that. After making it another 100 yards through immigration he could just buy one at Linens and Things. So, I'm not sure what risk he really presents other than being fairly dimwitted. It's possible it was a "probe" of the system in which case he passed because if they were going to block pressure cookers it should be before takeoff and not after landing!!!

Cerecl

Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 7):
It's possible it was a "probe" of the system

I don't see the relevance of this probe at all. There is nothing one can do with a pressure cooker on an airplane, it is not a self-combustion device. As you pointed out, once landed it is no different to any locally available pressure cooker.

Mir

Tue May 14, 2013 3:47 am

I'd be more concerned about the missing passport page than the pressure cooker.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

aerorobnz

Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 am

The should stop non-standard "This does not count as hand luggage/checked luggage" items full stop, They're a pain in the ass for everyone except the idiots travelling with this stuff.

- It slows everyone else down while they screen, then again onboard when they are surprised that such items don't fit
- Airlines waste fuel and space transporting it at the expense of cargo.

Hand Luggage is for items you require ON the plane, nothing else
Checked luggage is for items you need during your trip, it is not for transporting items that should be being sent as cargo/mail.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

blrsea

Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 am

I know lots of Indians who bring pressure cookers from India, because the ones in US isn't well suited for indian cooking. Shouldn't be a problem if it was checked in. Just because pressure cooker was used in bombings doesn't mean everyone who brings in one is a suspect! That is like saying every white person who drives a pickup after OK bombings is a suspect!

777way

Tue May 14, 2013 4:22 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 10):
Checked luggage is for items you need during your trip, it is not for transporting items that should be being sent as cargo/mail.

not necessarily.

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2013 4:54 am

And how are you going to decide what a person needs during his trip?
Applying your logic, why don't they just ban checked luggage? That can also be sent as cargo/mail.

Aeri28

Tue May 14, 2013 7:03 am

Was there a picture of said pressure cooker ? some are modern and electric, some are archaic but are probably made to be used stove top. Some are aluminum and some are cast iron. I guess it depends on what type it is and whether or not one could truly not find it in a country the size of the US.

Quoting blrsea (Reply 11):
I know lots of Indians who bring pressure cookers from India, because the ones in US isn't well suited for indian cooking. Shouldn't be a problem if it was checked in. Just because pressure cooker was used in bombings doesn't mean everyone who brings in one is a suspect! That is like saying every white person who drives a pickup after OK bombings is a suspect!

My frist reaction is: That's a bit frightening in itself. Is it comnpatible with US electrical outlets? I guess my comment is only good if its an electric one. Stove top? Never mind. Would they use some converter, overload the outlets and potentially burn us down? I'd only feel safe with something that had the UL seal of approval ( a seal that means its okay to use in the US with our outlets). I would imagine imports in asian stores in the US are cleared for importation rather than someone slipping it into their suitcase and trying to plug it in.

There have been stories of foreigners bringing in rice cookers from their countries and causing fires...

[Edited 2013-05-14 00:04:42]

[Edited 2013-05-14 00:05:47]

[Edited 2013-05-14 00:06:08]

777way

Tue May 14, 2013 7:10 am

only stove top version used in India and neighbouring countries.

PanHAM

Tue May 14, 2013 7:31 am

I know a guy who did that, buying all the stuff for his weekend home on a Gtreek island. but that was 3 decaqdes ago and no one cared.

You are free to pack and take along what you want except DGR items which do not belong into checked baggage. Some people need half their household and others travel 3 months with one set of underwear. Their is no big brother deciding how much you may carry.

As to "shipping by airfreight" - as a freight forwarder i can tell you that unaccompanied baggage tendered by unknown, walk up customers will undergo thourough security checks and certainly not travel on the same flight. Also, you will not get a flight number and no specified arrival date. Besides, customs procedure for freight is completey different than what you now from regular travel.

Ypou will have to specify each item if the customs agent has a bad day.

In conclusion, bad idea.that would make travelling much more a nightmare than it is aölready since TSA stepped in.

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

CaliAtenza

Tue May 14, 2013 7:45 am

blrsea, no need to bring them from India now; you can get them here in any Indian store...in fact, we used to take back the the Oster blenders from here, which were suitable for Indian current, because the models in India were bad.

turn720

Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 am

That is like saying every white person who drives a pickup after OK bombings is a suspect!

Every white person who parks his pickup truck in front of a federal building will be looked at very closely by the building's security team. They will approach him, ask why he's there, then ask him to move his truck. It's all about context.

mjoelnir

Tue May 14, 2013 11:12 am

If the guy was stopped because a problem with his passport, the missing page, that is one thing and completely understandable.

If he was stopped because of bringing a pressure cooker with him that borders on insanity.
A pressure cooker by itself is not more dangerous than any other piece of pots and pans.
Next they arrest a girl coming home with a frying pan for trying to murder her boyfriend.

That there are differences between pressure cookers and you want perhaps a different one compared to the one available in the next Walmart is understandable.

indcwby

Tue May 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):

-Mir

Agreed! I would be more worried about the torn pages, wanting to know if he tore out pages of stamps of where he may have traveled in the past.

It might be too soon since recent events would make people edgy, but in the end, if they can't find anything on the guy for the torn pages on his passport, this guy walks. News reports don't state he was offered a translator.

As an Indian born and brought up in the US. I can understand better about people bringing stuff from another country that you can get here. My grandmother, God rest her soul, was always in the kitchen. She would bring stuff from India because of the following:

1) CHEAPER. You can buy a pressure cooker and maybe 10 rubber gaskets that helps seal the pressure cooker and it still would be 1/3 cheaper of the cost of the ones you can buy at Wal-Mart.

2) SIMPLE DESIGN. You know the saying, gadgets from back in the day lasted longer than the crap you get now. My wife still uses the pressure cooker and other cooking utensils that grandma brought here 10+ years back. Easier to clean too.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

neutrino

Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Just because pressure cooker was used in bombings doesn't mean everyone who brings in one is a suspect! That is like saying every white person who drives a pickup after OK bombings is a suspect!

Or a person with a wiener is a rape suspect.   
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

indcwby

Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 17):
no need to bring them from India now; you can get them here in any Indian store...in fact, we used to take back the the Oster blenders from here, which were suitable for Indian current, because the models in India were bad.

Yeah, and you pay an arm and a leg for those products just to take back to India. I went to one of those stores with my Mother In Law and they wanted $95 for an Iron that would cost $25. Only difference was that it was 220V. So when she flew back via DOH, she bought one of better quality and cheaper at the Duty Free Shop.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

blrsea

Tue May 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 14):
My frist reaction is: That's a bit frightening in itself. Is it comnpatible with US electrical outlets? I guess my comment is only good if its an electric one. Stove top? Never mind.

They are usually non-electric stove-top ones with very simple but robust designs. Pressure cookers are found in almost every house in India!

And as for people bringing electric stuff over, many take electrical items from US to other countries and I don't doubt that other way won't happen too. Lots of people buy stuff overseas on their trips and bring them back to their home countries. Things like gaming consoles, laptops , personal shavers, camcorders etc see lot of movement across countries.

Quoting turn720 (Reply 18):
Every white person who parks his pickup truck in front of a federal building will be looked at very closely by the building's security team. They will approach him, ask why he's there, then ask him to move his truck. It's all about context.

I seriously doubt if they would look at every white person with a pickup as closely, and if it is parked in a legal parking spot. And there is no reason to.

[Edited 2013-05-14 06:17:55]

enilria

Tue May 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Quoting Cerecl (Reply 8):
Quoting enilria (Reply 7):
It's possible it was a "probe" of the system

I don't see the relevance of this probe at all. There is nothing one can do with a pressure cooker on an airplane, it is not a self-combustion device. As you pointed out, once landed it is no different to any locally available pressure cooker.

Imagine this scenario: the bad guys find some guy who wants to see his family and give him money for the ticket. They say "take this package". They open it up and show him it is a normal pressure cooker. He says "OK". He goes through with it and upon arrival messages them to say thanks for the pressure cooker. Then next they put something in the cooker and see if that gets through. If he were boarding in the USA their testing plan would be immediately foiled by the bewildering inconsistency of the TSA thereby any one attempt proving nothing, but they are using other entry points.

Bottom line: either ban pressure cookers or don't. Until they are banned you shouldn't arrest people for having one...and on arrival is too late anyway.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
-Mir

Well, agreed...

Is it comnpatible with US electrical outlets?

He was really arrested because he represented a danger to the electrical grid. :p

alfa164

Tue May 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 22):
Or a person with a wiener is a rape suspect

...or a person named "Wiener"...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

winstonlegthigh

Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 pm

There is nothing one can do with a pressure cooker on an airplane, it is not a self-combustion device.

...well, you can throw it at someone, I suppose... Beyond that, hmm...whaddaya know, it looks like you're absolutely correct!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to step outside on this beautiful sunny day so I can soil myself every time my own shadow sneaks up on me.

We're rapidly becoming more and more absurd...
Never has gravity been so uplifting.

okay

Tue May 14, 2013 3:18 pm

You have clearly not worked for an airline. Kitchen sink would not even make me raise my eyebrows after all I have seen in front of the check in desk.

nw1852

Tue May 14, 2013 4:34 pm

My take- Muslims use pressure cooker as a bomb in Boston, Muslim takes pressure cooker on plane (not as a bomb). some people are going to be slightly concerned....I don't blame them. Flame away cyber aviation tough guys.

falstaff

Tue May 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Quoting okAY (Reply 27):
Kitchen sink would not even make me raise my eyebrows after all I have seen in front of the check in desk.

I actually saw a guy with a small sink on a plane a few years ago. It was the kind of thing a dentist might have next to the chair.

Some of the local news on this subject had me laughing. The reporter asked a man outside DTW if he was concerned out a guy bringing a pressure cooker into the USA. At first I though "what a dumb question", but the guy said he was. I couldn't believe that answer. I'm thinking " probably 1000s of them come in a day on ships from China and in railroad cars from Mexico.

Quoting turn720 (Reply 18):

Really. How come nobody said anything to me when I parked at various federal buildings?

Tim McViegh drove a 1970s Mercury Marquis, not a pickup, plus the bomb wasn't in a pickup truck, it was in a box truck. Taking a box truck to a federal building will raise eyebrows, not a pickup. In many parts of the country a pickup is as common, or more common, than a regular car.

Not exactly.... I put my prescription medicines in my carry on and unless I am on a 24 hour long flight I wouldn't need them on the plane, but I carry them because if my luggage gets lost I'll still have them. The same can be said for lots of high value items too, such as cameras and lenses. I won't be using a variety of lenses on the plane, but I want them in my control during my trip. The same could be said for sensitive documents or equipment.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

NBGSkyGod

Tue May 14, 2013 4:40 pm

I think it is clear....FWA (Flying While Arab) is now more illegal than DWB (Driving While Black).

Every one of their reasons for arresting him can be easily explained. He misspoke about why he brought the cooker to the US, it happens, even to native speakers under pressure. The torn/missing pages can be explained that they got torn during transit at one time or another, and just not noticed.

Because how many people can say, without looking at their passport, that all of their pages are intact?

Gross overreaction by the CBP, and someplace like Detroit should be used to weird things coming back from Saudi and the rest of the Middle East.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

Flaps

Tue May 14, 2013 5:19 pm

I do believe that he was stopped as a result of his passport. Everything else came up as a result of that stop. Added together:

A. Saudi male travelling alone
B. Pages torn from passport
C. Questionable communications
D. Pressure cooker in luggage weeks after a terrorist attack using a pressure cooker bomb

None of these things in and of themselves indicate a potential issue (other than the passport). Taken together and combined with the passport issue equals a "yes we need some further scrutiny here". This does not mean he is guilty of anything but definitely a person of interest from a security perspective.

shufflemoomin

Tue May 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Quoting nw1852 (Reply 28):
some people are going to be slightly concerned....I don't blame them.

Exactly what the terrorists, and your government, want you to feel. Seems like it's working.

canoecarrier

Tue May 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):

When I read the article I thought the same thing. As an example, when I used to work at the airport it wasn't uncommon for people flying to Florida or Puerto Rico to check new chainsaws or small powered gardening equipment to clean up their second or vacation homes after a storm.

People travel with strange items all the time, this just happened to be one that was recently used in a terrorist attack. The passport page(s) missing is the real story here.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

CaliAtenza

Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Quoting indcwby (Reply 22):

Yeah, and you pay an arm and a leg for those products just to take back to India. I went to one of those stores with my Mother In Law and they wanted $95 for an Iron that would cost $25. Only difference was that it was 220V. So when she flew back via DOH, she bought one of better quality and cheaper at the Duty Free Shop.

This was back in the days when quality products were just not available in India; now everything is available in India, so nobody takes anything back from here.

OB1504

Tue May 14, 2013 7:49 pm

As another airport employee, I agree that the real red flag was the torn pages from the passport. I'm sure people get stopped for that fairly routinely, so the news agencies decided to run with the pressure cooker part of the story or otherwise there would be no story to begin with.

nw1852

Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 32):
Quoting nw1852 (Reply 28):
some people are going to be slightly concerned....I don't blame them.

Exactly what the terrorists, and your government, want you to feel. Seems like it's working.

Whoa there partner,

You know what terrorists and my government want me to feel?.......How?

Here's the thing...As long as we have a world where people are have so little value on human life, that they will place a "pressure cooker" by a family after receiving so many benefits from the U.S., try to detonate their shoes and underwear, park their vehicle in times square or park a moving truck in front of a federal building.... we will have concern. Hopefully someday we will care more about protecting life, than protecting the hurt feelings of extremists.

Thats what I feel.

aklrno

Tue May 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 33):
People travel with strange items all the time, this just happened to be one that was recently used in a terrorist attack. The passport page(s) missing is the real story here.

I travel to New Zealand with strange stuff all the time, often in a carry-on bag if that's all I need. Cookware is very expensive in NZ compared with the US, and many things are just not available. I need some new pots in my NZ kitchen so I will probably take some on my next trip, but I have no need for a pressure cooker. I may also take some nice German kitchen knives (saving hundreds of NZ$) but I think I'll check those.

I have taken a folding grocery cart (checked), roasting rack (carry on), popcorn popper (checked), computer (carry on), salad bowls (carry on), year's supply of salad dressing (carry on), canned albacore tuna fish (about a dozen cans), 5-6 pounds of irish oatmeal, and on and on. Sometimes you just can't get exactly what you want in another country.

I have been selected for additional screening in the US, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada from time to time. It is just part of the experience. I can understand that the combination of a pressure cooker and passport abnormalities would cause some extra inspection, and a bad passport can certainly result in a refusal to gain admittance to any country.

By far the worst border hassle I ever encountered was with Canada, of all places!

JAGflyer

Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Open pressure cooker(s), if they're empty/brand new let the guy go through with it. I don't see how having a pressure cooker is a reason to detain someone. As long as it is screened (opened/x-rayed) what risk is there? Pressure cookers are sold everywhere and they are not instruments of terror when empty. As for missing passport pages, this is an issue for customs/border security, not the TSA. The TSA is there to provide a means of protection, not as a means of stopping someone for entering or exiting the country.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

canoecarrier

Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 37):
I travel to New Zealand with strange stuff all the time, often in a carry-on bag if that's all I need. Cookware is very expensive in NZ compared with the US, and many things are just not available. I need some new pots in my NZ kitchen so I will probably take some on my next trip, but I have no need for a pressure cooker. I may also take some nice German kitchen knives (saving hundreds of NZ$) but I think I'll check those

Granted we're talking about international travel here, but to do the same thing all the time when I fly to my mother's in Alaska. Whatever she needs: cooking pots, knives, etc. I even used air cargo to fly up 200 lbs of food and a wheelbarrow once. The pressure cooker makes for the good headline, but is no different from what happens every day around the world.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

eisenbach

Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 25):
...or a person named "Wiener"...

... that's actually a not uncommon surname in Austria  
There is a famous cook called Sarah Wiener.

And I understand people transporting strange things in planes, have a look to my family:

- a Christmas tree (real pine tree 1.7m long)
- pillows (I don't know why)
- a Guglhupf (Austrian cake)
- a red 10l canister full of olive oil from our olive trees (the pilot wanted to have a look and approved the unusual hand luggage (Airline OK, short before the introduction of the strict liquid rules))

Of course we didn't try that out in the US  
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...

SCQ83

Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Btw, the Gulf is probably the place where people check the weirdest things on their airports, en route to Iran, Philippines, Egypt or Pakistan... whether it is because the lack of availability or high prices (places like Dubai tend to be quite cheap for almost everything and you have pretty much any Western brand; very different from Teheran or Karachi). So you can see people checking-in 42" TV screens, air conditioners or carrying several bags with Dunkin Donuts as hand luggage, or anything inimaginable.

I remember once in AUH, I had a flight with Turkmenistan Airlines boarding next to me (this is in the low-cost terminal where there not even jet bridges and you walk to the plane). Every other person razed the Duty-Free; I had never seen anything like that (buying basic stuff like chocolate or liquor). Even the pilot/co-pilot disembarked, went to the duty-free and each one of them literally bought dozens of bottles of alcohol. I assume most people bought stuff to resell back in their country (which I think is a bit North Koreanish).

So certainly carrying a pressure cocker must be the least exceptional thing they have seen departing from Saudi Arabia or any Gulf airport.

Kaiarahi

Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Quoting nw1852 (Reply 36):
they will place a "pressure cooker" by a family after receiving so many benefits from the U.S., try to detonate their shoes and underwear, park their vehicle in times square or park a moving truck in front of a federal building.... we will have concern. Hopefully someday we will care more about protecting life, than protecting the hurt feelings of extremists.

So let's ban:
- pressure cookers
- shoes
- underwear
- moving trucks
- Christmas cakes (they show up on baggage scanners as explosives, because of their specific density and composition)
- funeral urns (personal experience - TSA were convinced my mother's ashes were an explosive device)
Empty vessels make the most noise.

DTWLAX
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2013 12:56 am

Is it comnpatible with US electrical outlets? I guess my comment is only good if its an electric one. Stove top? Never mind. Would they use some converter, overload the outlets and potentially burn us down? I'd only feel safe with something that had the UL seal of approval ( a seal that means its okay to use in the US with our outlets). I would imagine imports in asian stores in the US are cleared for importation rather than someone slipping it into their suitcase and trying to plug it in.

There have been stories of foreigners bringing in rice cookers from their countries and causing fires...

How does it matter? Who is going to plug in the cooker on a plane especially if it is in the checked baggage?

Quoting winstonlegthigh (Reply 26):
...well, you can throw it at someone, I suppose...

Then they need to ban a lot of things from carrying on. I suppose you can throw the carryon bag as well. Will they ban carryon bags then?

aklrno

Wed May 15, 2013 1:10 am

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 42):
- Christmas cakes (they show up on baggage scanners as explosives, because of their specific density and composition)

Cheese used to have the same problem. I don't know if the scanners are better now.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 39):
- a Guglhupf (Austrian cake)

I can agree on that! For those who don't know, in the US we would call it a bundt cake. I usually take a week's worth of baked goods into New Zealand from a eastern/central European style bakery in LA. Can't get that stuff in New Zealand. NZ inspects very carefully for plants and food, but baked goods are legal. I have had the food police ask me to share. I didn't.

Cerecl

Wed May 15, 2013 1:30 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 24):
Imagine this scenario

Your scenario had nothing to do with the pressure cooker itself. In your scenario the cooker serves only as an container. If the cooker is banned for this reason all metal product with any meaningful volume need to be banned.

Quoting dtwlax (Reply 43):
Then they need to ban a lot of things from carrying on

I think it was sarcasm.

nw1852

Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 am

So let's ban:
- pressure cookers
- shoes
- underwear
- moving trucks
- funeral urns (personal experience - TSA were convinced my mother's ashes were an explosive device)

I get ya northern neighbor...Trust me, I don't like having to take off my shoes, unload a laptop, have TSA grope my wife and carry my maximum 3.4 oz. in a clear ziplock bag.... It sucks.....But it has foiled some terror plots and its better than nothing. As far as what you list above.....Like i say, I get it, but look at it this way: Shoes- already get screened, underwear- the reason for body scanners, moving trucks- Heck try to waiting in a Camry for someone outside baggage claim and wait for someone to yell at you; Its already here!

As many of us know, most rules, regs and administrations are created as a reaction to serious illness/injury, death or the likelihood. In turn, after implementation they become pro-active and follow the 3 E's of prevention (engineer, educate, enforce).

I'm not saying ban pressure cookers.

I am saying people have the right to have concerns.

777way

Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 am

Another Saudi student involved in non-av related pressure cooker suspicion http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ssure-cooker-pot-cooking-rice.html

okay

Wed May 15, 2013 11:08 am

That's a horrible experience. I know a story where an FA did not know that a little box a pax was holding on her lap contained the ashes of her late husband. When she asked if she can put the box to the overhead locker, she told the FA what was in it. The plane took of with the lady holding the box.

It's always good if such things can be pre-informed, to avoid such situations.

ConcordeLoss

Wed May 15, 2013 8:32 pm

There is nothing one can do with a pressure cooker on an airplane

Unless he intended to hit someone with it. Pressure cookers tend to be heavy after all.  
"You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best test indicates" Burns to Homer

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos