bthebest
Topic Author

UTAir 737 Gear Fire - Vnukovo 18/5

Sat May 18, 2013 2:43 pm

BBC footage shows the evacuation of a UTAir 737 after main landing gear fire upon landing at VKO.

Interesting thing though is that the overwing evacuation slides didn't deploy. Passengers had to slide down flaps to get off the wing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22579630

migair54

RE: UTAir 737 Gear Fire - Vnukovo 18/5

Sat May 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Quoting Bthebest (Thread starter):
Interesting thing though is that the overwing evacuation slides didn't deploy. Passengers had to slide down flaps to get off the wing.

It would have been amazing if a B737 deploy them...  

But people will never understand that an emergency evacuation is a REAL dangerous situation... I can see them with handbags, and very happy, like leaving the plane after a normal landing... amazing...

sometimes i think why cabin crew and airlines bother to do demos if nobody listen and when they have to do what they have briefed nobody follow the instructions...

Anyway, it could be a leak of the hyd on the brakes and thereafter hyd fluid fire or directly a fire on the carbon disc brakes... dangerous situation, very close to many hyd lines and fuel tank in the wing...

B757capt

Sat May 18, 2013 4:17 pm

The 737 does not have overwing exit slides. The flaps down to 40 degrees are the slides my friend!
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

bthebest
Topic Author

Sat May 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 1):
It would have been amazing if a B737 deploy them...

Oh, I didn't realise 737s didn't have them. Is this because they are relatively low to the ground and you can get off the wing without them - as proven in the video?

can see them with handbags, and very happy, like leaving the plane after a normal landing... amazing...

Looks like they were taxiing or had just landed so they'd probably all got their bags etc out already (also wrong I know). In that case they'd probably cause more problems leaving them in the aisle.

garpd

Sat May 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Plenty of people ignoring evacuation rules and carrying their hand luggage off with them. These people need shot (figuratively speaking). They are a danger to all others on the aircraft.

The 737 is low enough to not need them. This is one of the many, many reasons (although indirect) why the 737 is so low to the ground.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

AA737-823

Sat May 18, 2013 7:39 pm

and very happy, like leaving the plane after a normal landing... amazing...

If I was running away from an aircraft which was burning, I'd probably be pretty happy, too!!!!

But I would NOT be carrying my carry-ons. I would have left my carry on at the door of the plane, after using it to smash my way through people who were dragging around their carry-ons.
Survival of the fittest, idiots!

EDIT TO ADD: having watched the video, WHAT a bunch of IDIOTS! Why would you evacuate an aircraft, only to have a tea party on the right wing? Look at them all standing there, like, "What do we do now? Oh, look at the lovely weather..."

Sheep.

[Edited 2013-05-18 12:42:14]

Jetmarc

Sat May 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Despite an active fire, seemed like a pretty leisurely evacuation. Lots of standing around, strolling away, pax even walking down the slide! Geez.
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

gilesdavies

Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 pm

This evacuation is a complete and utter disgrace!

On the wing there is a passenger passing the bag down to someone on the ground, before they climb down from the wing. This is delaying other passengers to evacuate and could have potentially caused fatalities.

There is also another person I saw on a clip on Sky News, standing as he tries to come down the slide. He could have fallen and blocked the bottom of the slide.

I thought an aircraft was supposed to be evacuated in 90 seconds, there no way this was the case, in this situation. Also surely airport emergency personnel should be assisting people too, to clear the vicinity of the aircraft!

Even if the Russian authorities do not feel there is a problem with this evacuation, I hope international authorities will be raising questions about this airlines emergency procedures, and be getting assurances that UT Air will enforce emergency evacuations on future emergencies.

heathrow

Sat May 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Looks like they needed some AF 340 FA's   

MKEdude

Sun May 19, 2013 12:56 am

I see a headline somewhere online that says "Plane With 130 Passengers Catches Fire at Moscow Airport" and I think holy $#[email protected] as I click the link. Only to see some landing gear fire and passengers walking down the slides with bags so big they never should have been allowed as carryons in the first place!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

KC135Hydraulics

Sun May 19, 2013 1:06 am

If I ever have to evacuate an aircraft I'm grabbing absolutely everything I can and taking it with me. I don't want my valuables lost in a fire!
MSgt, USAF
KC-135R / C-17A Pneudraulic Systems Mechanic Supervisor

RickNRoll

Sun May 19, 2013 3:36 am

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 7):
On the wing there is a passenger passing the bag down to someone on the ground, before they climb down from the wing. This is delaying other passengers to evacuate and could have potentially caused fatalities.

There is also another person I saw on a clip on Sky News, standing as he tries to come down the slide. He could have fallen and blocked the bottom of the slide.

The lack of slides is an issue with the 737, as this evacuation demonstrates. (Not to put all the blame on the lack of slides, the passengers can be their own worst enemy). The lack of slides also assumes the flaps are working correctly, which in an emergency situation is not the kind of assumption you should be making.

usafdo

Sun May 19, 2013 4:36 am

When is BOEING going to install emergency escape slides for the over the wing exits?

I know...I know they have been doing it like this since the 1960's.

However, look at how far the fall to the ground is!

Look at all the people standing on the wing - probably afarid to jump to the ground and brake a leg!                           

whitewasp

Sun May 19, 2013 5:38 am

As a former flight attendant (Shuttle America & Chautauqua), that video makes me laugh. Passengers are not the brightest sometimes. They lined up on the wing like they just landed in the Hudson (US Airways 1549). Personnally, if the gear was on fire, the last place I would want to be standing is on a wing with fuel in it.

Just my 2 cents.

bthebest
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2013 9:00 am

Quoting RickNRoll (Reply 11):
The lack of slides is an issue with the 737, as this evacuation demonstrates. (Not to put all the blame on the lack of slides, the passengers can be their own worst enemy). The lack of slides also assumes the flaps are working correctly, which in an emergency situation is not the kind of assumption you should be making.
Quoting usafdo (Reply 12):
Look at all the people standing on the wing - probably afarid to jump to the ground and brake a leg!

What happens in an emergency on take-off when flaps aren't fully extended? Is it part of the checklist to extend the flaps? Ditto, what if they're not working. Without full flaps, it's quite a difference.

Fire crews did at least get a ladder there eventually although it looked like a frustrated supervisor wondering why someone hadn't already done it! Is the priority to get the passengers to safety or tackle the fire?

Also with the 747:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve Fitzgerald

It looks like the slide for the exit behind the wing would interfere with the overwing one? Or is it just the angle/does it go over it?

AA737-823

Sun May 19, 2013 9:27 am

The lack of slides is an issue with the 737

No it isn't. It's still certificable; either Airbus or Boeing could design an all-new aircraft, and at that height, NOT be required to install slides.

The lack of slides also assumes the flaps are working correctly, which in an emergency situation is not the kind of assumption you should be making.

There are a lot of "what if's". An overwing exit with a slide is useless if the ground spoilers are still up- it will damage the slide. For the 767, for example, if you pop the overwing exit, part of the slide deploy logic ALSO stows the inboard spoiler (you can watch this on Youtube). If that doesn't work, you're in the same situation as flaps not working on the 737. You simply don't use the exit. Not ideal, but an evacuation isn't an ideal situation in the first place. And evac certs are performed with HALF the exits INOP.

When is BOEING going to install emergency escape slides for the over the wing exits?

Never; they're not required.

However, look at how far the fall to the ground is!

I work on 737 wings all day; it's not that far. You can hang off the trailing edge, with the flaps NOT down, and drop just a few feet. Or, with the flaps down, you can slide like children do.

Quoting WhiteWasp (Reply 13):
Passengers are not the brightest sometimes.

You got that right!

Quoting Bthebest (Reply 14):
What happens in an emergency on take-off when flaps aren't fully extended? Is it part of the checklist to extend the flaps? Ditto, what if they're not working. Without full flaps, it's quite a difference.

See above. Yes, it's less-than-ideal, but it's still doable, with limited risk of injury.

Quoting Bthebest (Reply 14):
It looks like the slide for the exit behind the wing would interfere with the overwing one? Or is it just the angle/does it go over it?

The R3 slide, pictured, ends up being underneath the R4 slide. The A380 has similar slide deploying complexities... check out a diagram of that monster!

okay

Sun May 19, 2013 9:41 am

Remember there is no cabin crew stationed by the over wing exits on B737, the pax open the exits on their own, and naturally exits them without guidance from the crew.

If a pax comes to an emergency exit with luggage, it is not a good idea to start arguing with the pax about the bag. Also, unleft bag would obstruct the evacuation of people behind, its not like one can ask the pax to go back to his seat to store the bag again.

What I would do in that case, I'd allow the pax to exit with the bag but give a hard push down the slide if/when he starts to look from behind the bag how to get on the slide. Most important is constant flow onto the slide so evacuation can be carried out as quickly as possible.

bthebest
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 15):
The R3 slide, pictured, ends up being underneath the R4 slide. The A380 has similar slide deploying complexities... check out a diagram of that monster!

Cheers - even better actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TitxtXsuUNk

Am I right in thinking that the upper deck slides deploy from the fusealge whilst the lower deck (except over-wing) are door-mounted? I assume this is because the upper deck slides are larger and don't fit in doors?

usafdo

Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am

Yes, they are from the fuselodge.

Didn't you see the panels open and the slide shoot out?

bthebest
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2013 9:06 am

Quoting usafdo (Reply 18):
Didn't you see the panels open and the slide shoot out?

I thought so, just couldn't see 100% on the video.

usafdo

Mon May 20, 2013 9:30 am

Does anyone know why the web site; "The Aviation Hearold" is boycouting this story?

The video is on over 50 sites, but the Aviation Hearold for some reason will not show, or put any information on this evergency evaction ont heir site.

It is very strage!!!!

Aesma

Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm

I saw this on the evening news yesterday. What I immediately thought, and that nobody has here it seems, was : shouldn't the evacuation have been limited to front and rear exits, away from the main landing gear aka the fire ?

Quoting usafdo (Reply 20):
Does anyone know why the web site; "The Aviation Hearold" is boycouting this story?

It's possible lawyers have caused them trouble, has happened in the past.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

AustrianSimon

Mon May 20, 2013 5:12 pm

The Aviation Herald does not cover ground incidents, this is one of them. The Aviation Herald does report based on facts and not based on spectacular videos, worldwide media coverage (which is purely prompted by the video, nobody would have reported this without the video) or other influences.

rcair1

Mon May 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Quoting okAY (Reply 16):
and naturally exits them without guidance from the crew.

In every 737 I've seen - the safety sheet clearly shows you sliding down the flaps with no slide. Of course, being a fireman, I actually look at them.

I also prefer to sit in Exit - not because I'm so worried about the a/c, but because I know I will do a better job of handling it than 99.9999 percent of the passengers.
rcair1

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos