Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcwr56

RE: MIA's New Immigration Hall Is A Disaster (photos)

Sat May 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Welcome to the United States....

This issue isn't specific to MIA. There's been meetings with A4A, ACI, various cities and senior officials with DHS and CBP and guess what, they don't care. (I've sat in on a few and have been stunned by some of the moronic replies by some folks)

One response; you want to jam as many flights into a specific time period this is what the consequence is. They do not care about flight scheduling, how it's done world wide and why flights are scheduled the way they are.

Until foreign airlines get their respective governments involved and start applying political pressure, this will not change folks.

I've love to post up a power point presentation by CBP regarding staffing issues for this summer. If I was looking to visit the U.S, I'd give second thought to doing so based on what I saw.

jfk777

Sat May 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Its shameful the new D customs hall in Miami is in such a state, they might as well have a sign saying, "Welcome to Miami we think you are a terrorist ".

by738

Sat May 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 51):
Its shameful the new D customs hall in Miami is in such a state, they might as well have a sign saying, "Welcome to Miami we think you are a terrorist

Which is exactly how I felt after a 9 hour flight then almost 3 hours in a queue to be interrogated rudely by border personnel. I will not route through MIA again.

legacyins

Sat May 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Quoting varig md-11 (Reply 49):
Say you're a frequent visitor to the US coming from a visa waiver country (my case), what's the problem if by fingerprinting the right hand ONLY,

This the current policy. The issue is, if a person's prints are not clear or they are too dry, they will not match the previous entry. This will require a full 10 print to be taken.

flymia

Sat May 18, 2013 11:18 pm

First thing first. This is not soley an MIA problem this is a huge gateway problem which in the U.S. three ariports are in a league of their own. MIA, JFK and LAX.

Another factor people have not thought about. MIA has a TON of immigration problems, fraud, human trafficking, drug trafficking, smuggling animals, money etc.. I spent some time working For DHS/I.C.E. and got to tour the facility and spend time oberseving all stages of the process. When in the passport control station observing an officer at work the first women who came to us had a fake passport. The second man had the wrong visa, and it continues and continues. MIA is a big entry point for a lot of the wrong things. CBP and ICE have to be even more careful than usual at MIA.

Quoting 797 (Thread starter):
As much as I love MIA, mostly for being my second home-airport, I must point out that the new central immigration hall is a complete and pointless disaster.

Its the government's fault. Has Zero to do with MIA.

Quoting mcmax (Reply 6):
Do passengers who have Global Entry have to wait in that queue to get to the immigration hall, or are they allowed to move on ahead?

I am 90% sure you get to skip the line. Go to the global entry machine and cut the lines to just show the officer your reciept.

Quoting 797 (Reply 16):
This is ridiculous. This will harm the industry like nothing else.

I don't know about that. It could harm the International-International travel which for U.S. Airlines is not very large of a market. But if you want to come visit the U.S. you have to go through the process.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 17):
My last time there (March) I was coming from GIG and I didn't see anything like that... and this was early morning with plenty of LATAM flights arriving. Insane.

I too have never waited in a long line at MIA. But I have not flown internationall into MIA since 2010.

Quoting goosebayguy (Reply 18):
America just doesn't do international very well.

Since the majority of our air travel market is domestic, no we don't focus as much on it. We also have huge immigration problems.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 23):
True , but it is not nearly as bad at other airports.

No MIA LAX and JFK are in their own league. They have the most passengers and most problems.

Quoting 797 (Reply 28):
Just heard from my parents. Total time in line, 3 hours 12 minutes.
The flight from Caracas was only 2 hours 50 minutes. This is insane!

That is crazy I agree and hopefully congress will do something about it. But if has nothing to do with MIA, the design of the facility or AA.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 31):
BS. MIA immigration has always been a disaster, for as long as I remember and that's going back well over a decade.

Like I said, have not flown international into MIA since 2010 but I have flown plenty and I have never waited longer than 20-30mins. Have had some crazy lines across the world though.

And then there's the policy of making everyone clear immigration at the first point of entry.

Where should they clear it?? Are you saying someone flying GIG-MIA-TLH or LHR-MIA-ATL should clear immigration in TLH where there is none or in ATL after getting off the plane from a domestic flight and be able to walk around MIA and leave and enter as they please?
The way U.S. Airports are designed and the problems U.S. immigration has this is the only way IMO. They just need more staffing.

Here's an example why: I'm a permanet resident in this country. That means the government has more information about myself than it has about any of its own citizens and yet, every time I enter the country I need to be interrogated, fingerprinted, and photographed. Why? That is a huge waste of time and resources.

Because you are a resident. You are subject to different rights and laws which I am sure you are very familiar with.

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 50):
Until foreign airlines get their respective governments involved and start applying political pressure, this will not change folks.

Well this is AA terminal. I am sure AA will try to pressure someone in D.C.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

fiscal

Sun May 19, 2013 12:16 am

MIA was the worst American airport I have ever been to, and I have been flying since 1968. The problem as I see it, and it has been mentioned before, they expect every arriving passenger to be a terrorist. That paranoia has led to an entry process that it no commensurate with the risk. Profiling is performed in most countries around the world, to help keep the flow of legitimate passengers going smoothly. With new facial recognition software, it should be possible to make this flow even better. There is NO need to ask every passenger 20 questions about their stay, their business, their family, and the color of their underwear. It slows things down. Even the finger printing can be selective. You have a photo, a passport, and a visa, all on the system. If these pass muster, and you have no prints on file, take some, but not everyone every time.

legacyins

Sun May 19, 2013 12:35 am

Quoting fiscal (Reply 55):
Even the finger printing can be selective. You have a photo, a passport, and a visa, all on the system. If these pass muster, and you have no prints on file, take some, but not everyone every time.

I understand what you are saying but what id the person is an impostor to the passport they presented or they have committed a crime after their last entry? Or, they do not need a visa to enter the Country.The finger printing has stopped and prevented a lot of people from entering the US due to a past violation. If you go to japan, you also need to leave your prints, only 2, and photo. Did I feel like a Criminal or Terrorist when I gave my prints? Not at all nor did I complain about the process because that is required for me to enter Japan.

jcwr56

Sun May 19, 2013 12:59 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 54):
Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 50):Until foreign airlines get their respective governments involved and start applying political pressure, this will not change folks.

They can pressure all they want. Even at ORD with our President residing from here and his former chief of staff as mayor, nothing was done when the City, UA and AA had meetings with the folks from DHS and CBP. No money for additional staff...yada, yada, yada and we too are having 2.5+ hours for processing times.

I really feel sorry for the international tourist because once they get past the asinine process of entering this country, it's not bad.

NOWINYOW

Sun May 19, 2013 1:03 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 14):

Canada is right behind the US in this matter. I'm not an advocate for more gov't control, but a separate "in transit" area could really help speed things along. Don't airlines already have to submit passenger manifestos prior to entering US airspace?

To me, it seems that both Cdn and US regulators are oblivious to how efficient things could be. You'd think with all the junkets they take they'd learn!

Cubsrule

Sun May 19, 2013 1:07 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 38):
Aren't arriving U.S. passengers mixed in with all other international arrivals at Canadian airports, meaning only 2 flows? The only 3rd flow is for departures to the U.S. (and only at airports with pre-clearance) but the situation being discussed in this thread involves arrivals.

Yes, but the two are connected. There are three arrival flows depending on onward destination:

1) Local passengers and passengers connecting to the United States
2) Passengers connecting to the United States; and
3) Passengers connecting internationally.

In Canada, only Group 1 has to clear Canadian immigration and customs. That reduces the wait times. Of course, there are many fewer passengers connecting to Canada on the average inbound international flight to, say, YYZ than passengers connecting to the States on MIA-CCS, so it's not a perfect analogy.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mcdu

Sun May 19, 2013 1:14 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 7):

Effects of sequestration furloughs, don't like it write your Congressman.

This like the FAA ATC sequester excuse is just a political football that CBP is using. I highly doubt there are staffing issues at any of the airports, just like there were no real ATC staffing issues. It is just government employees doing less in the same amount of time. They want to exercise their control to try and regain the overtime pay.

Often airline labor unions are bashed for strikes and slowdowns. More recently the airlines have taken employee unions to court to prevent slowdowns. Unfortunately with the government there is little anyone can do to get workers that already work at a snails pace to go any faster. Until a senator is required to wait in such a line NOTHING will change.

I wish the US would privatize some CBP and TSA functions. Let the free market rule and put the dinosaurs working to destroy our transportation system on the street. If CBP and TSA were privatized I would hope customer service and friendliness would be rewarded, versusthe barking and scowling the current staff seem to enjoy.

Thouroughly disgusted with the CBP and TSA.

ABQopsHP

Sun May 19, 2013 1:45 am

Quoting NOWINYOW (Reply 58):

I said the same thing, on the thread

US Aviation Failing? We've Scr* Ourselves (by 744lover May 16 2013 in Civil Aviation)

But I was able to answer that too. The Us will not have transit lounges because we do not allow transit w/o visas.
Also known as TWOV. All persons arriving in the USA must clear customs then recheck for their on going flight.
Inefficient? You bet it is.

JD CRP

[Edited 2013-05-18 18:45:55]
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

airbazar

Sun May 19, 2013 1:57 am

Quoting legacyins (Reply 37):
You may be a Lawful permanent Resident (LPR) but you are a Citizen of another Country. There are LPRs who have a Criminal history and depending on the severity, may jeopardize their LPR status. Hence, the finger printing.

So? If I have a criminal history it should show up the second they scan my green card. What's the point of the finger printing, the questioning, or the retina scans? None. It's a waste of time. Scan the car, if all cheacks out good, move on. If not step aside for secondary screening. Instead they waste time with every single person.

Quoting legacyins (Reply 37):
I've traveled to the UK where I waited in Immigration lines up to an hour.

That's still 1/3 of the time spent in MIA for the "subjects" of this post  
The way U.S. Airports are designed and the problems U.S. immigration has this is the only way IMO. They just need more staffing.

More staffing may aleviate the problem but isn't going to solve it. Bigger facilities maybe but airports will always have more landing capacity than CPB processing capacity and airplanes are getting bigger. The system is simply not scalable. Unfotunately there is no easier, cheaper or popular alternative. The alternative is to staff every single airport in the nation with a CBP facility, which is what Europe has for example. But that's too costly so the passengers will continue to suffer. Another alternative is to have pre-clearance at large points of origine but the unions are fighting that already.

Because you are a resident. You are subject to different rights and laws which I am sure you are very familiar with.

Irrelevant for this issue. The problem at hand is one of efficiency. Spend less time on people like me so you can deploy your resources where they're most needed. Call it profiling, if you will. We often think of profiling only in the context of security. There shoudl me more done in the context of immigration processing at the airports.

par13del

Sun May 19, 2013 1:58 am

Quoting sankaps (Reply 44):
Is that the cause

I would say cause, there are no more intransit visas, folks just using the US to connect say from the Caribbean to Central America all require B2 visas, which when granted allow you access to the country for at least a month, sort of eliminates the need for separation of pax.
Most airports have special access points / routes to departing gates once you clear CBP, sort of the best they can do. The longer this goes the more financial it becomes and more difficult to change, imagine if they decided to allow folks intransit to travel without a visa, how would most US airports today secure those pax from bolting, more security personnel and construction.

The new hall is nice, but unless all lanes are staffed it can become lengthy, but this usually depends on the day and time of arrival, Friday and Saturday early afternoon can be rough.
Authorities in MIA local and state Government have already registered complaints with CBP, according to them, since the new hall was opened it was never fully staffed, the billions spent on the airport improvements get lost if your first introduction is being stuck in a line for over an hour.

The train ride to the Rental Center has a good enough view of the city to ease some of the pain 

MSJYOP28Apilot

Sun May 19, 2013 2:13 am

Could someone detail how US airports without completely remodeling them all could allow intl-intl connections to simply transit through US airports? Most US airports currently have customs and passport control that exit into baggage claim and necessitate passengers clearing TSA again. In an airport like ORD, JFK, ATL or IAD where international flights arrive and depart from detached concourses and terminals only accessible by either exiting the secure area or by joining the normal passenger flow. For example, if someone wanted to fly Lufthansa from FRA to ATL they would arrive in concourse F. If they wanted to transit to a DAL international flight to MEX out of Concourse E the only way to get from F to E is through the train or walkway with all the domestic passengers. There is no way currently to enforce transit passengers from exiting to baggage claim and entering the US illegally in that case unless they passed through customs first.

Intl to Intl connections are such a small number of passengers in the US, it would be hard to justify the costs of redisigning airports. If there is a way to do it that wouldnt endanger security and help connnecting passengers, it would be a good idea.

Many American concourses and terminals have international and domestic flights departing from gates right next to each other. The gate areas for both often overlap. Where would a transit passenger be able to wait for a flight such that they would be able to avoid passport control and also not be able to illegally enter the country?

Flying Belgian

Sun May 19, 2013 2:20 am

I was in JFK T1 today at 12.15pm, same "disaster".

I think total wait time to have a passport stamped was way over 2h30'.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

spink

Sun May 19, 2013 2:39 am

Quoting goosebayguy (Reply 18):
Yet other countries manage this but America seem's to avoid dealing with it. Its a bit like trying to buy petrol with a foreign credit/debit card. The petrol pumps just won't accept anything without a zip code. Yet Canadians who are neighbours have postcodes. America just doesn't do international very well.

For the record, US cards don't work at Canadian pumps either, have to go inside.

Quoting varig md-11 (Reply 49):
Why do we need to be photographed and fingerprintted every time? isnt there a secure database hidden in the rocky mountains with all the data saved and retrievable at light speed?

The fingerprints and photographs are part of the verification step. The new prints and photographs are compared with both your previous fingerprints and photographs if any and a deny/investigate database. A passport isn't on its own a valid proof of identity. Any security checkpoint not doing biometric verification along with ID isn't really doing anything useful. And yes, this means that the TSA documents checks are more security theater than actual security.

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 60):
This like the FAA ATC sequester excuse is just a political football that CBP is using. I highly doubt there are staffing issues at any of the airports, just like there were no real ATC staffing issues. It is just government employees doing less in the same amount of time. They want to exercise their control to try and regain the overtime pay.

Staffing issues at airports due to the sequester are very much real. The number of TSA and CBP agents at their various checkpoint is down at almost all airport except those that were already small enough that they were at min staffing to begin with.

ilanbwoy

Sun May 19, 2013 3:11 am

These r the facts as i have been told.

1) They r understaffed and are trying to get more officers stamping.
2) The sequester has had an effect in terms of decreasing the o.t. budget.
3) Pax numbers are up and the staffing levels have not kept pace.
4) The training program from hiring to stamping takes almost 7 months. Its a lot to learn.

As far as fingerprinting, that will not go anywhere. It may seem like a waste of time, but people do stupid things and it shows up. Many a person has been caught via fingerprinting. If u are a permanent resident, then get global entry. You wont have to deal with the long lines. There are other issues which are mentioned before like false dox, smuggling, visa issues...etc and these do slow down the line.

There used to be a process of separating the ITI pax (international to international) but that went away after 9/11.

1 big thing is the timing of the flights. If they all come in the same time, then pray that you are among the first to hit the arrivals hall or you will end up waiting. Its like walmart. If the 300 people always in there all decide to go cash out at the same time, then somebody is going to have to wait.

3 hours is long, but when u have flights from foreign countries and the majority of the passengers are visitors, all come in at the same time, it does get backed up.

Aaron747

Sun May 19, 2013 3:20 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 9):
Yes. But a) what security reasons are they? They don't want people to see it's such an incompetent sh!t show it defies logic? and b) who cares?

Bottom line is that nobody in D.C. is remotely concerned about the first impression foreigners get of the US, much less the inconvenience to our own citizens who return from business/pleasure abroad.

Quoting trex8 (Reply 12):
I think they are worried about terrorist attacks and people trying to figure out the building and sneak through the system.

If they want to avoid that, smartphones and cameras are the least of their worries. They should monitor their own employees and get TSA (and their contractees) to look up from their text messages once in awhile and ensure situational awareness.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BoxBoy

Sun May 19, 2013 3:29 am

I stopped flying AA through MIA. I came through one early morning with no lines and the customs folks that I spoke with were complete A**holes. I travel the entire world and have never seen worse customs than MIA.

Oh yeah, I had to speak Spanish to get through MIA customs as well. No problem for me, but how messed up is the US?

I'll take Delta through ATL any day.

superjeff

Sun May 19, 2013 3:36 am

It is NOT sequestration. The Congress passed a law authorizing full staffing of airport staffs. The issue is Miami, which is a third world [email protected] hole, I am afrai.

asetiadi

Sun May 19, 2013 3:48 am

America's airport is a joke, they have to follow asian/european airport especially the immigration part

ATCtower

Sun May 19, 2013 4:17 am

Every other part of MIA is a massive CF, why would you expect a governmental aspect to be any different?

Seriously, waiting for security at a few of the concourses is a joke, and to expect better from customs?

You are dilusional.

MIA is bar NONE the worst excuse for an airport in history and you can certainly chalk that up to the mentality of the people of Miami and their unwillingness to understand people or to conform to any sort of order, that stretches to MIA.
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

usxguy

Sun May 19, 2013 5:15 am

The "sequester" was only a 2% reduction in CBP's budget... however the fat cats in DC / Administration want to make it as PAINFUL as possible...

I work for a government agency and we've cut our budget by 8% yet did not let it affect our services to the public AT ALL. Just one example of the conservative mantra to give states more control over budgets and funding.... something Obama and the democrats will NEVER allow as it will cost them votes (ie - less free $$ going out).
xx

OB1504

Sun May 19, 2013 5:44 am

As mentioned time and time again, this is the current reality at MIA. The new facility was understaffed when it opened, and just as Customs and Border Protection was about to hire more officers, the sequester kicked in. Those of us who work at MIA are just as fed up with it as the passengers are.

That being said, taking photographs in the sterile circulation area is strictly prohibited. Your parents could've had their electronics seized and been subject to detention and interrogation if the officer who caught them was in a particularly bad mood.

Believe me, everyone is putting pressure on DC.

Quoting ilanbwoy (Reply 67):
There used to be a process of separating the ITI pax (international to international) but that went away after 9/11.

There are unused international-to-international transit lounges in Concourse D (the former Concourse A portion), the Concourse E satellite, and Concourse F.

Quoting superjeff (Reply 70):
It is NOT sequestration. The Congress passed a law authorizing full staffing of airport staffs. The issue is Miami, which is a third world [email protected] hole, I am afrai.

The emergency relief act only applied to air traffic controllers. Cuts to CBP and TSA staffing have not been fully reversed.

slinky09

Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 am

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 72):
MIA is bar NONE the worst excuse for an airport in history and you can certainly chalk that up to the mentality of the people of Miami and their unwillingness to understand people or to conform to any sort of order, that stretches to MIA.

I couldn't agree more - for this frequent passenger Miami long ago dropped off the list of places to visit because MIA is just so horrendous to travel through.

If I have to visit the Miami area I head into New York and Jet Blue down to FLA. So much more civilized.

I don't get why something isn't done at MIA, it's been dire for years and the area is losing business as a result.

vegas005

Sun May 19, 2013 7:16 am

Out of curiosity, how is the J concourse/immigration? I will be arriving on Swiss in a few weeks and hope J is better?? If not, I may switch to another flight. Thx!

sankaps

Sun May 19, 2013 7:27 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 74):
That being said, taking photographs in the sterile circulation area is strictly prohibited.

No kidding! They are terrified of photos of these long lines getting too much publicity!

LY777

Sun May 19, 2013 7:27 am

Is there a priority for families with babies?
I fly YUL-MIA this summer with AA and I start to worry. My daughter will be just 7 months old
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

flymia

Sun May 19, 2013 7:29 am

Quoting BoxBoy (Reply 69):
Oh yeah, I had to speak Spanish to get through MIA customs as well. No problem for me, but how messed up is the US?

I am the first person to complain about people not speaking English in the U.S. but I find it very difficult to beleive a federal lAw enforcement officer who graduated a fairly difficult training program in English could not speak English.

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 75):
I don't get why something isn't done at MIA, it's been dire for years and the area is losing business as a result.

Tell that to AA and the airport who have never seen busier times at MIA. Along with the hotels in the area. No idea where you made that one up from.

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 72):

Is this a serious statement? Bar none? Worst airport in history? Really? A tad exaggerating there no? Love how you throw in the bashing of the people of Miami too. Great way to get that in there. Good job!

Quoting superjeff (Reply 70):

Clearly this has started to become a Miami bashing thread. MIA is one of the most modern Airports in North America. I'm glad that it is the people of Miami's fault that congress is incompetent in their jobs. Also as a very frequent MIA traveler I again have never had custom problems or any terrible lines at security problems. Ever. Not once.

Quoting asetiadi (Reply 71):

America's airport is a joke, they have to follow asian/european airport especially the immigration part

Yes. All major U.S. airports should be completely redesigned for the small international-international connection market. That makes perfect sense!

I think people are underestimating A. The understaffing and B. the huge problems CBP has to be on watch for at MIA. I feel some of the posters just don't know what goes into letting someone into this country and what CBP/DHS/ICE do at the airport.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

BestWestern

Sun May 19, 2013 8:12 am

Quoting MSJYOP28Apilot (Reply 64):
Intl to Intl connections are such a small number of passengers in the US, it would be hard to justify the costs of redisigning airports. If there is a way to do it that wouldnt endanger security and help connnecting passengers, it would be a good idea.

ATL has a fairly large number of passengers transiting from Latin America to Europe.

Quoting flymia (Reply 79):
I am the first person to complain about people not speaking English in the U.S. but I find it very difficult to beleive a federal lAw enforcement officer who graduated a fairly difficult training program in English could not speak English.

There is a big difference between the ability to speak English and wanting to speak English. Its like the idiots in Barcelona Airport customer service who will respond in catalan to a question i posed in Spanish.

I think people are underestimating A. The understaffing and B. the huge problems CBP has to be on watch for at MIA.

Can't you see the damage that three hour queues is doing to your airport reputation.

Anyone from the airport handing out water to the people waiting.... how about seating?

MIA is one of the most modern Airports in North America.

A modern building with such terrible service results in people not seeing the building.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

macc

Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 am

a few points to the results of such conditions:

- i am a frequent traveller both for business and leisure. i planned a trip last year to central america, but skipped it as the only acceptable transits were either ATL, MIA or IAH. And I do not consider any airport in the US as acceptable for transitting.

- been to DFW in January and found myself in the same queue reaching out from the immigration hall. After a 10 hour flight, and an already 16 hour trip, I am not really pleased with having to stand in a line for another 2hours.

- all immigration procedures there just give u the feelings of not being welcome. For me as from a visa waiver country, and terribly more so for people from other countries, as I could notice from a lot of my friends.

The result is that I stay away from the US unless I am forced by business. And I know that an increasing number of people from all over the world do as well. I do not have the feeling that this is my loss. But it definitly means billions of money not spent in the US. Whether the US needs it or not, its their decision.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

phunc

Sun May 19, 2013 9:00 am

Even when I accept that I have to wait two hours in line after a 10 hour trip, it bugs me when the minimum wage MIA airport que guard brings people from the back to the front.

This has happened a few times to me. Example: I landed off the AA LHR flight. We landed behind the BA flight so, once in the immigration hall, we were right behind them. After us was a CDG flight. We queued for about 90 mins and then a latin flight and an AA MAD flight landed. The rotten MIA que organiser took those people from the latin and MAD flights to the residents area where they got though about 20-30 mins before we did after queuing for 90 mins.

Where is the fairness in that?

She also didn't care about people que jumping.

If I have to que then fine. But make it fair for all.

Then I get accused of being miserable and supposed to laugh and be all friendly to the customs agent who cracks a sarcastic cheap belittling remark about having a British accent...

Quoting aaron747 (Reply 68):
Bottom line is that nobody in D.C. is remotely concerned about the first impression foreigners get of the US, much less the inconvenience to our own citizens who return from business/pleasure abroad.

If true...a little arrogant.

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 65):
I was in JFK T1 today at 12.15pm, same "disaster".

Waited 2:45 there once. People were crying, one guy fainted and my knees seized up.

Quoting BoxBoy (Reply 69):
I stopped flying AA through MIA.

Mee too! Trying to avoid it.

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 75):
for this frequent passenger Miami long ago dropped off the list of places to visit because MIA is just so horrendous to travel through.

I've gone from visiting family five times a year to just twice, simply because the process is unwelcoming and painful. I'll get some sun in DXB instead.

varig md-11

Sun May 19, 2013 9:02 am

Quoting legacyins (Reply 53):
This the current policy. The issue is, if a person's prints are not clear or they are too dry, they will not match the previous entry. This will require a full 10 print to be taken.

Thanks for the comment. I was innocent enough to believe the fingerprints who be "well" taken with the inkless system but it's true if your skin is dry it amounts to "no ink enough". I will make my best to have my hands greasy next time  
Quoting spink (Reply 66):
The fingerprints and photographs are part of the verification step. The new prints and photographs are compared with both your previous fingerprints and photographs if any and a deny/investigate database. A passport isn't on its own a valid proof of identity. Any security checkpoint not doing biometric verification along with ID isn't really doing anything useful. And yes, this means that the TSA documents checks are more security theater than actual security.

Yes, I understand your point but see what happened the last time to me: I entered the US twice in a 2 months period; the second time they found back my file just by scanning my right hand, no photo no left hand = time saved, it lasted 30 seconds for me and 30 seconds for my friend who was in my case too. We're both visa waiver with ESTA.

Quoting vegas005 (Reply 76):
Out of curiosity, how is the J concourse/immigration? I will be arriving on Swiss in a few weeks and hope J is better?? If not, I may switch to another flight. Thx!

I had always better experience at J : most pax are Europeans or Brazilians compared to AA side where you have the entire central and south America arriving which means more juicy cases for CBP = more time processing

Quoting LY777 (Reply 78):
I fly YUL-MIA this summer with AA and I start to worry. My daughter will be just 7 months old

Salut LY777: won't you go thru CBP at Montréal? I believed it was the case like in YYZ

Waouh.....neatly done the introduction of anti Miami comments....I haven't heard this since the 80s I believe. Why don't you try NYC for order and willingness to understand people?   

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 80):
There is a big difference between the ability to speak English and wanting to speak English. Its like the idiots in Barcelona Airport customer service who will respond in catalan to a question i posed in Spanish.

That's how you loose customers.....I avoid BCN because of this stupidity and I understand some people avoid MIA if that happens there.
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

UALWN

Sun May 19, 2013 9:18 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 80):
ts like the idiots in Barcelona Airport customer service who will respond in catalan to a question i posed in Spanish.

Wow, consider yourself lucky: every time I've talked to them in Catalan (the language of the land), I have been replied in Spanish...
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

BestWestern

Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 74):
Your parents could've had their electronics seized and been subject to detention and interrogation if the officer who caught them was in a particularly bad mood.

Interrogation?? Probably tasered and taken to Club Med Guantanamo...

Quoting varig md-11 (Reply 83):
That's how you loose customers..

Exactly. A lack of customer first mentality is what causes such problems with TSA and CBP in the US.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

What happened to the america of the welcomes?

Ah well, According to Fox news Obama can be blamed and naturally the republicans are innocent of anything.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

SASDC8

Sun May 19, 2013 9:44 am

Anything over a 60 minute wait is not acceptable in my opinion, and a wait of over 3 hours is ludicrous. The US government really need to understand that they will loose business and tourism will suffer if they do not allocate sufficient resources to CBP. I mean what is the point of everything I have to fill in at the ESTA web browser, if it is not used for anything? And were do the 20 USD I pay every two years go? If the US keeps this up, Americans who travel abroad will be met by equally stupid and selective rules just for them (Brazil and Argentina are good examples).

I for one just cancelled my plans for a visit to the US this summer, and the US just lost 4000 USD in hotel and rental car expenses. But I guess noone cares...
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

lhrnue

Sun May 19, 2013 10:19 am

Dear US government,

Please use the 14$ for the visa waiver to pay for the immigration - I talk about additional officer - and not for a tourist advertising campaign.
Short immigration queues (without compromising whatever you think is required to protect your country) would be the best advertising you could make.

Yours faithfully
A frequent visitor to the USA

P.S. Yes I am going home after every visit, because my socialist home country Germany pays for the healthcare.

[Edited 2013-05-19 03:28:33]

by738

Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 am

no priority for families/children or babies, you might have a chance in a wheelchair

klemmi85

Sun May 19, 2013 10:48 am

Can someone please shed some light on where the BA flights arrive and if they have to pass that central CBP hall as well?

Thanks!
quit a.net 07/2016

PanAm1971

Sun May 19, 2013 10:56 am

Actually, the entire customs and immigration process at our major airports is a complete disaster. And the behavior of staff dealing with arriving passengers (both foreign and US) is unacceptable. I think we can look objectively at the situation and give a grade of fail. There needs to be a rethink. But first there has to be an acceptance there is a problem. We're not even at that point yet.

LY777

Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

Quoting varig md-11 (Reply 83):
Salut LY777: won't you go thru CBP at Montréal? I believed it was the case like in YYZ

I have just had the confirmation that we'll go through CBP at YUL!
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

garpd

Sun May 19, 2013 11:11 am

I'm due to fly from CHS to MIA in September on AA to catch a BA flight to LHR.
Please tell me my friends and I will not have to endure this ridiculous queue!?
arpdesign.wordpress.com

varig md-11

Sun May 19, 2013 11:23 am

Quoting LY777 (Reply 91):
I have just had the confirmation that we'll go through CBP at YUL!

You'll tell us how it works, last time I had a good price offer on CDG-YUL-MIA 
Quoting garpd (Reply 92):
I'm due to fly from CHS to MIA in September on AA to catch a BA flight to LHR.

Why would you? there is no "export" control contrarily to what we have in Schengen area.
The "export" control will be done automatically by BA when they give your flight manifest to CBP
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

phunc

Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 am

Quoting klemmi85 (Reply 89):
Can someone please shed some light on where the BA flights arrive and if they have to pass that central CBP hall as well?

You will go through the central CBP hall, yes.

Quoting garpd (Reply 92):

Not going out, but if you fly back MIA from LHR with BA then you might do! Sometimes it's luck of the draw. I find the first BA flight isn't too bad - gets in about 1330. But around that time is when all the euro flights begin landing and the second wave of latin flights arrive.

My philosophy, try to avoid getting behind somebody carrying papers or folders - they often have a story to tell. It's often frustrating because I normally spend about only two mins with the officer before he stamps me and lets me go.

by738

Sun May 19, 2013 11:29 am

Quoting klemmi85 (Reply 89):
Can someone please shed some light on where the BA flights arrive and if they have to pass that central CBP hall as well

Yes they do. This was one of the excuses given by MIA immigration, that BA do not care and schedule all their flights to arrive within a few hours and clash with other international arrivals ie LH, AB. If there are any delays on the BA schedule (As there was on my last trip) two 747's worth arrived at the same time. Good luck with that one !

icarus75

Sun May 19, 2013 11:47 am

I fly to US once or twice a year for holidays and going through immigration is always a nightmare because of long queues. The least I've had to wait was 1h30 two years ago in ATL coming from CDG.

This july, I'll fly from CDG to IAD : is it bad in IAD too?
Flying is amazing!

infinit

Sun May 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Why am I not surprised..
It is amazing how the world's largest economy by a mile (pun intended) is so backward on so many fronts.

thaiflyer

Sun May 19, 2013 1:06 pm

I’m surprised that nobody requested the photos to be removed from this forum as it is gives terrorist some information (which I don’t know) or as it is against national security.
Sorry but this is just pathetic.

But back to the real topic, I don’t think that America should be surprised that the tourists are avoiding the USA more and more when you welcome you them like this.
I fly for my business on a weekly basis (luckily not the USA) but I would be very pissed if I had to wait that long.
At most airports I’m through the whole hassle within 30 minutes or less.
After a 10hr flight I just want to go to my hotel and nothing else.

us330

Sun May 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Quoting aaron747 (Reply 68):
Bottom line is that nobody in D.C. is remotely concerned about the first impression foreigners get of the US, much less the inconvenience to our own citizens who return from business/pleasure abroad

Well, the obvious reason is that foreigners don't vote, and so there's no incentive for Congress to care about a population segment that they aren't necessarily accountable. The best way for foreigners to change the situation is to speak to the U.S. businesses that they visit or patronize in the U.S. and state that because of the increased red-tape, wait times, etc. for U.S. entry, you are strongly considering taking your business elsewhere unless the situation is remedied.

Quoting sankaps (Reply 77):
No kidding! They are terrified of photos of these long lines getting too much publicity!

It's a customs checkpoint--plenty of countries prohibit photography of border checkpoints for national security reasons.

Quoting LY777 (Reply 78):
I fly YUL-MIA this summer with AA and I start to worry. My daughter will be just 7 months o

Montreal is one of the 7 or 8 Canadian airports with U.S. Customs Pre-clearance, so when you arrive in MIA, the flight will be treated as a U.S. domestic arrival.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos