raffik
Topic Author

MEA Launch Al Najaf & Yerevan

Mon May 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Just a quick post- MEA has launched two new destinations starting this summer, year round service to
Al Najaf operating by A321 and Yerevan operated by A320.
Not often that the airline opens new routes so thought it was worth a post!

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/159034/
http://www.mea.com.lb/English/CedarM.../Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?pressid=95
- Alec

Azure

RE: MEA Launch Al Najaf & Yerevan

Mon May 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Quoting raffik (Thread starter):
Not often that the airline opens new routes so thought it was worth a post!

Indeed ! MEA have so much potential...
Good luck to them !

ME AVN FAN

Mon May 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Quoting raffik (Thread starter):

MEA might remember that it successfully served Zürich for many years. Simply ignoring this destination is rubbish

MEA330

Mon May 20, 2013 7:45 pm

MEA has also announced the launch of twice weekly BASRA flights this summer.
Not announced yet but in all newspapers, bilateral with Sudan has been updated for potential launch of Khartoum flights next SEPT.

If those 2 come true it will be 4 new routes in 1 year !

777way

Tue May 21, 2013 3:29 am

New region too with Yerevan.

Unrelated but Vueling starting BEY only their second Middle East route, but is seasonal possibly operating just this year, also Kenya Airways serving BEY since last November, since not many airlines head there so interesting news as well.

OD720

Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 am

The Yerevan (EVN) flight shows on Kayak and Expedia. Departs Fridays at 6:30 pm and back to Beirut at 10:15 pm.

Interestingly, it doesn't appear yet on MEA's own website.

OD720

Tue May 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Just checked again and the EVN service is 2x weekly, Mondays and Fridays. Perfect for a weekend escape!

Braniff747SP

Tue May 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Quoting OD720 (Reply 6):
Perfect for a weekend escape!

Not sure if EVN is the type of place one would like to go to for a 'weekend escape'... Interesting, nonetheless.

Adds a new way to get to EVN, which is always good.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

777way

Tue May 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 7):
Not sure if EVN is the type of place one would like to go to for a 'weekend escape'...

It might be for the side of world the airline belongs to and for people on limited budgets, and those who like to explore exotic places over the ones that have become ho hum, the place is also almost European and interesting for people from surrounding regions, I would love to visit there.

Besides very pompus of you to try and impose your opinion on some who thinks different, to me Iran was better that all the countries I've visited put together, I would like to visit Afghanistan too and Iraq doubt they're of interest to average Joe, it would be silly for them to pop in and say what you said.

luckyone

Tue May 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 7):
Not sure if EVN is the type of place one would like to go to for a 'weekend escape'... Interesting, nonetheless.

It's an opportunistic Ties between Lebanon and Armenia are quite old. 4% of Lebanon's population is Armenian, and there is an appreciable trade between the two countries, and of course family ties. It's close enough where it's easy to visit for a weekend, and M/F schedule obviously allows for business as well.

raffik
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

I believe these flights to Yerevan have been initiated because Armavia went out of business and there has been pressure on the Lebanese government to facilitate direct airlinks between the two cities.
A similar campaign is also pressuring the airline to start seasonal services to Sao Paulo and a report and assessment was made by the airline but as of yet nothing has been confirmed
- Alec

yegbey01

Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm

All of these routes are natural for MEA.

There's a strong Armenian presence in Lebanon (for over 100 years). Many continue to keep strong ties with their motherland. so with Armavia out of business, MEA will do quite well.

As for the other Iraqi destinations. These are both religious and cultural links that are only possible to reach by air given the situation in Syria. And MEA will do quite well there too.

What I don't understand is that MEA doesn't acquire smaller aircraft like the E170 or E190 to make these routes daily (or almost daily anyway)

raffik
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Quoting yegbey01 (Reply 11):
What I don't understand is that MEA doesn't acquire smaller aircraft like the E170 or E190 to make these routes daily (or almost daily anyway)

I agree. But weren't they evaluating the CRJ200 in 2000/2001? I remember that RB and ME had penned an project for a regional airline operating regional aircraft. Understandably, RB has gone in one direction and since then ME has embarked on an impression modernisation plan.
They had on order the A319 but canceled this in favour of the larger A320 so perhaps the A320 is the smallest they want to go?
The E170 would be an ideal aircraft for them- great range and MEA could incorporate its great onboard product with inseat IFE etc to keep its passengers happy. Egyptair have them, Saudi? And RJ. I think some more in the region too.
Time will tell
- Alec

brightcedars

Wed May 22, 2013 9:45 am

I think these regional jets would definitely help increase daily service and could also be useful on routes like BRU were now they already run 4 flights a week using A320 but that apparently aren't even half full.

Now gate space does seem to be an issue at BEY so I'm not sure they could accomodate the extra flights in the present form of the airport, unless they start parking the planes at remote stands which almost never happens there.

Thinking of using the EVN flight to go discover that place over a weekend when spending a longer vacation in LB.

raffik
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 am

Quoting brightcedars (Reply 13):
Now gate space does seem to be an issue at BEY so I'm not sure they could accomodate the extra flights in the present form of the airport, unless they start parking the planes at remote stands which almost never happens there.

Weren't they starting an extension to the terminal to double capacity? I read that BEY's existing terminal is at max capacity and now with the political instability in Syria, many Syrians are now using BEY to travel which in turn is good for airlines coming in to Lebanon
- Alec

Braniff747SP

Wed May 22, 2013 1:43 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 8):
It might be for the side of world the airline belongs to and for people on limited budgets, and those who like to explore exotic places over the ones that have become ho hum, the place is also almost European and interesting for people from surrounding regions, I would love to visit there.

I'm well aware. I have visited more than once.

It is a fascinating country; but not the type of place for a weekend 'getaway'... in my opinion, at least.

Quoting 777way (Reply 8):
Besides very pompus of you to try and impose your opinion on some who thinks different, to me Iran was better that all the countries I've visited put together, I would like to visit Afghanistan too and Iraq doubt they're of interest to average Joe, it would be silly for them to pop in and say what you said.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that giving an opinion suddenly made one pompous.

Seems rather pompous of you to try and impose your opinion on someone who thinks different, no?

And, in case you're interested, I much rather visit the Middle East than go to, say, Europe. Iran is the first on my list for places to visit.

Quoting raffik (Reply 10):

I believe these flights to Yerevan have been initiated because Armavia went out of business and there has been pressure on the Lebanese government to facilitate direct airlinks between the two cities.

Indeed--this was my first thought. Armavia's closing has caused several airlines to up frequencies on flights or start new routes. Should do well for ME considering the large Armenian population that they have.

777way

Wed May 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 15):
in my opinion, at least.

There you go, I see visiting Kabul as a weekend getaway great, for anyone else it may be unthinkable but do they have to air their view, isn't it my choice how I see it?

Sorry for this carry on with main topic discussion.

[Edited 2013-05-22 06:57:07]

mozart

Wed May 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 16):
There you go, I see visiting Kabul as a weekend getaway great, for anyone else it may be unthinkable but do they have to air their view, isn't it my choice how I see it?

I think it's fair to say that the number of people thinking of Kabul as a weekend getaway destination is extremely small both in absolute terms and compared to places like Istanbul, Dubai or Rome.

Hence an airline that would fly to Kabul would take a courageous choice if it was banking on tourists as opposed to the airline that offers a flight to Istanbul, Dubai or Rome.

Nothing pompous there, just the fact that a minority opinion - which may be evidence for exquisite taste - does not fill planes.

Now for ME to Yerevan I think the bet is not weekend tourists but family and business travelers as explained further up.

Braniff747SP

Wed May 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 16):

Would I want to visit Kabul? Absolutely. Is it a 'weekend getaway'? Not by many people's standards.

Rather pompous, the idea of Kabul being a weekend getaway.  
Quoting mozart (Reply 17):
Now for ME to Yerevan I think the bet is not weekend tourists but family and business travelers as explained further up.

Indeed. The large diaspora coupled with the vacuum left by Armavia's bankruptcy makes a good case for a BEY-EVN flight.

Tupolev160

Wed May 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Is there any possibility of MEA starting flights towards India/Pakistan region?
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

raffik
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Quoting Tupolev160 (Reply 19):
Is there any possibility of MEA starting flights towards India/Pakistan region?

I don't think they would be able to compete with the Gulf carriers on Indian or Pakistani routes. I'm not sure there is much traffic between the two countries either, although MEA previously served Mumbai and Karchi this was when Beirut handled connecting traffic from Europe to India in the 1970s. Now EK and Etihad have a fairly comprehensive network to India and Pakistan.
- Alec

777way

Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 18):
Rather pompous, the idea of Kabul being a weekend getaway.

To me even driving out of the city to a dirty little town for a few days is a week end getaway, bet its not for 99% but they cant decide what a week end getaway means. Missonaries here find spending a week end in a mosque in a different area away from the familiar a getaway, even though still in the city. For others it might be flying seven hours to London in F just to party.

Quoting Tupolev160 (Reply 19):

Birmingham-Beirut-Amritsar with A321?

Quoting raffik (Reply 20):

What market are RJ catering In India that ME cannot do the same?

[Edited 2013-05-22 22:13:29]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos