Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

2travel2know2

RE: EK's Possible New UK Destination?

Wed May 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 20):
There is nothing physically stopping that happening right now, but the market does not appear to be there.

That's why if CWL wants EK (and probably UA from EWR) it must change its name to: "Cardiff-Bristol International Airport" and get a decent executive lounge.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

readytotaxi

Wed May 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 1):
EMA has been a perennial rumour as well, even though it is relatively close to BHX. The greater east Midlands area, especially Leicester, has one of the largest Indian populations in the country IIRC

I would have thought that EMA would be a good pick, also the airport is the largest "pure" cargo airport in the UK offering EK another revenue possibility to plug into.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

PlymSpotter

Wed May 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 50):
That's why if CWL wants EK (and probably UA from EWR) it must change its name to: "Cardiff-Bristol International Airport"

That would be a ridiculous move that would attract ridicule - not going to happen. CWL may appear to be 'just' across the Severn, but it's only 15/20 minutes nearer to Bristol than BHX and half an hour nearer than LHR.

In my view CWL has two hopes to attract market share from South West/West England.

1. Hope the UK devolves APD to the Welsh Government, then remove or significantly reduce the rates.
2. Hope the Severn Barrage is built, which will increase the catchment area by opening easy access to Somerset, Dorset and parts of Devon.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

babybus

Wed May 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Quoting nclmedic (Reply 4):
Currently, there's no great coverage in the South West - CWL/BRS currently not seeing service and the area isn't particularly well placed to be within easy reach of other EK destinations....

I'm thinking along the same lines. CWL or BRS would be useful.

Could an A380 get into BRS. Thought it had a dodgy runway?
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Clydenairways

Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 18):

Imagine A380 trying to land in nasty gusts and high wind at LBA, as LBA is famous for it's terrible weather with cross winds. OK funside apart, I think LBA better option over BFS, BRF or CWL.

I wasn't really thinking of 380's for LBA rather A330 then 787's

starrymarkb

Wed May 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Quoting babybus (Reply 53):
I'm thinking along the same lines. CWL or BRS would be useful.

Could an A380 get into BRS. Thought it had a dodgy runway?

Bristol is pretty tight for a 763 - Thomson Managed to bend one on landing a couple of years ago - it cost quite a few million in repairs before it could leave!

Also I think larger aircraft won't fit on the stands. There are only 3 or 4 that can take a 763

Filton could take an A380 and they would visit on occasion.

PlymSpotter

Wed May 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Quoting starrymarkb (Reply 55):
Also I think larger aircraft won't fit on the stands. There are only 3 or 4 that can take a 763

EI have definitely sent an A332 on Rugby charters, I think they may also have sent the A333 too.

Dan  

[email protected]

Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Given the possibility of TK launching BRS, I wonder whether it would also contemplate BFS and LBA. With narrowbodies, a significant city (Istanbul) with large tourist appeal, numerous onward connections including to Turkish hotspots... Hmm. Akin to it serving EDI.

[Edited 2013-05-29 12:22:52]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

PlymSpotter

Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 57):
Given the possibility of TK launching BRS, I wonder whether it would also contemplate BFS and LBA.

Quite possibly, they connect with plenty of Central Asian destinations too, as well as all the Turkish hotspots, where UK second homes are becoming increasingly common.

Dan  

boysteve

Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 41):
Talking about LBA, see my previous reply. MAN alone can handle all traffic coming from L'pool, Leeds, Sheffield, North Wales, Bradford, Blackburn etc. as all these places have good connectivity to MAN and by road it is near as well. So I don't see any point about LBA.

The problem with LBA is its crap location for road and rail access! Many parts of West Yorkshire (Huddersfield, Wakefield, Southern Bradford, Dewsbury) are nearer LBA but MAN or DSA are very often or always quicker by car. Same with Sheffield, the quickest airports to reach by car are often DSA, EMA, MAN & LBA in that order, but of course that depends on traffic/time of day. Of course for Otley it's perfect though.
Basically if you look at who can drive to MAN in an hour and who can drive to LBA in an hour, then the figure for MAN is several million more people even though some would physically be closer to LBA

offloaded

Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 52):
1. Hope the UK devolves APD to the Welsh Government, then remove or significantly reduce the rates.

I would say that this is the only realistic way forward.

Quoting Welshman Tony Davis (ex BMI Baby) in a letter discussing the reasons for WW's canx of the CWL BGO service in 2004: "Regrettably we have incurred a significant loss on this route as we could not attract sufficient numbers of passengers at and appropriate level of fare. In part this was because we could not encourage enough passengers to travel to Cardiff from the English border counties."
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

SCQ83

Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm

I would bet on EDI, CWL or STN.

I am surprised they don't even serve Edinburgh. Glasgow and Edinburgh are two clearly independent cities/markets. Edinburgh is a very international city (tourism, university, kind of a "Monocle" magazine city) and those markets tend to work well for EK. I think some OPs are focusing too much on secondary cities in England that are a) no well-known internationally (yes, I know that how internationally renowned a city is does not grant a EK service; and I am sure there are businesses and sub-Asian communities in, let's say, Leeds... but probably EDI has them as well) and b) have easy access to cities already served by Emirates. NCL is served by Emirates but Newcastle is far from any other EK city (contrary to Leeds or Bristol).

I think CWL could work the same way that NCL works for EK. Not a huge market, but no overlap with any airport, and currently CWL is not served by anyone else. Emirates is so well-known in the UK that it could work in CWL and it would certainly keep away anyone else (especially TK) from Cardiff any time soon.

As for London, I would put my money on STN. I have been to LTN a couple of times, but I found the airport the least appealing and worst in terms of infrastructures of the London area, not to mention the connection to the Parkway train station. STN might be a Ryanair fortress, but the airport itself is quite nice (it certainly does not feel like a low-cost airport like LTN does) and has a direct connection with public transportation, and it is not far from some wealthy areas (Cambridge, for instance).

[Edited 2013-05-30 05:57:09]

sierra3tango

Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 61):
NCL is served by Emirates but Newcastle is far from any other EK city (contrary to Leeds or Bristol).

Understand your point but what you overlook is the totally sub standard communications in SW England. There is one motorway (as we term it) the M5 and an indifferent train service. In certain parts of the south west depending on where your going/ headed an average speed of 25 / 30 mph by road is good. The M5 wends it way close (not close enough) to BRS. Yes you can go faster on the M5 BUT you've got to get to it first

Airports in SW England are NWQ, EXT, BOH (just) & BRS. PLY is closed, EXT / NWQ / BOH have a look at their websites to view the services from these, it won't take you long.

The idea you can drive or take a train or catch a feeder flight to say LHR in a reasonable time doesn't exist.

The catchment area for BRS

Cornwall 0.5m
Devon 1.1m
Somerset 0.5m
Gtr Bristol 1.2m
Total 3.3m

That's without bits of Dorset, Wiltshire and Glos (at least) another 1.0m, be conservative call it 4.0m. Then add in
South Wales (they haven't got a lot of choice either to put it mildly) maybe 1.7m total lets say 5.5m. This is considerably
bigger than GLA at 150 minutes catchment

Then take a look at the catchment area for CWL its minute in comparison.

Pax from Cornwall / Devon / Somerset / Dorset / Wilts and much of Bristol won't go to CWL they'll just go to LHR
practically its a no brainer. APD is in part counteracted by paying to cross the Severn Bridge

Maybe if the Severn Barrage ever gets built (the idea has been around for maybe 35+ years, bit like Boris Island / Maplin Sands) then CWL might have a chance.

If EK/QR/EY can get into BRS without big payload penalties they will clean up