Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

theaviator380
Topic Author

EK's Possible New UK Destination?

Tue May 28, 2013 11:19 am

As I learned that EK might possibly start 4th daily service to MAN, I was wondering where else they could be expand their operation in the UK?

EDI - Don't need as GLA is hardly 1.0-2.0 hour from Edinburgh city. I can see eventually GLA and BHX getting A380 in near future.

LPL - Don't need as MAN is nearby for pax in those region.

How about STN or LTN? instead of starting another in to LHR, EK can try one these? LGW looks working ok for them so they might get this work too?

Lot of people who leave North / Northeast of London or even little uppish than that, for those it would be good service isn't it?

What you guys think?

RyanairGuru

RE: EK's Possible New UK Destination?

Tue May 28, 2013 11:27 am

EMA has been a perennial rumour as well, even though it is relatively close to BHX. The greater east Midlands area, especially Leicester, has one of the largest Indian populations in the country IIRC.

STN could be interesting. Given their success at LGW, I don't see why STN couldn't work for them. It is more convenient to the City than LHR (although few people seem to actually know that!) and would also take in some very wealthy areas in Essex and Cambridgeshire.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

LondonCity

Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 am

So far every long-haul airline has failed to make a success at STN. But if anyone can succeed at this Essex airport, it has to be EK on account of the huge potential for carrying transfer passengers. It might even support A380 service.

But so far, EK says it has to plans in the "short term" to operate an A380 into STN

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emira...r-a380-stansted-launch-308492.html

richcandy

Tue May 28, 2013 11:37 am

Hi

There was "talk" a few years ago that EK might start services from LTN. The theory was that there was enough of an Indian population in the area to support a service from LTN-DXB and then onwards.

Are there really any new airports that EK could try in the UK, they seam to have it pretty well covered.

Alex

nclmedic

Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am

Quoting LondonCity (Reply 2):

Currently, there's no great coverage in the South West - CWL/BRS currently not seeing service and the area isn't particularly well placed to be within easy reach of other EK destinations....

That isn't to say EK would be able to make it work here, but if anyone could....

theaviator380
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 11:45 am

East midlands could be one but areas like Leicester, Darby, Nottingham, Coventry etc. are well within 1 hour from BHX. So I would say EK will plan to start more into BHX using A380 to serve those pax. Ideally I don't see anything else than STN or LTN, unless EK want to go further up north and serve Inverness or Aberdeen using their A330  

bthebest

Tue May 28, 2013 11:59 am

Quoting nclmedic (Reply 4):
Currently, there's no great coverage in the South West - CWL/BRS currently not seeing service and the area isn't particularly well placed to be within easy reach of other EK destinations....
Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 5):
unless EK want to go further up north and serve Inverness or Aberdeen using their A330

Looking at spread, I completely agree with CWL/BRS and think there's a population to support it as well. INV/ABZ are also missing out spread wise, but just don't see a big enough market - would possibly work 3/7 on a 787 size, but EK don't operate that (looking forward to when A330s are gone).

The only other area that suffers from a lack of nearby service is East Anglia eg. Norwich, but it's also quite sparse so not a large enough population to support a market. If Cambridge developed (completely hypothetical) that would work better supporting East Anglia, SE Midlands and Noth of London.

Dublinspotter

Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi,

What about BFS? I heard rumours of a possible service, but EY are Interested so could EK get in before them?

Only thinking aloud!  
Dublinspotter

nighthawk

Tue May 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Thread starter):
EDI - Don't need as GLA is hardly 1.0-2.0 hour from Edinburgh city. I can see eventually GLA and BHX getting A380 in near future.

Although Glasgow airport is only an hour or two drive from Edinburgh, there is a significant split in the market, and very few people from the east will travel to the west to take a flight (and vice versa). This was demonstrated by Continental, who launched an EDI service with very little impact on their existing GLA service. Both routes continue to operate successfully.

Inbound passengers may be happy to fly into GLA then take the train to EDI, but few locals will, instead they will continue to connect via existing hubs.

Quoting Bthebest (Reply 6):
INV/ABZ are also missing out spread wise, but just don't see a big enough market - would possibly work 3/7 on a 787 size, but EK don't operate that (looking forward to when A330s are gone).

With runway lengths of 1,887m and 1,949m respectively, this isn't going to happen any time soon! You can barely get a 737 to Spain, let alone a flight to Dubai.

PlymSpotter

Tue May 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Looking at spread, I completely agree with CWL/BRS and think there's a population to support it as well.

The Bristol area has very high levels of disposable income and a decent amount of business travel - were it not for BRS's runway length they would already have a M/E link. The A332 currently in EK's fleet could operate the route, but operating its replacement could not be guaranteed. If the A350-900 operational data proves encouraging then BRS will almost certainly be looked at by EK, until then the most likely M/E contender would be a 787 operator, but again the runway is an issue - the 763 incident was food for thought.

However, we are not far from seeing TK launch BRS where I expect them to do very well. There may not be room in the market for a daily M/E link in addition to this.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

GCT64

Tue May 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Looking at spread, I completely agree with CWL/BRS and think there's a population to support it as well.
Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 9):
The Bristol area has very high levels of disposable income and a decent amount of business travel - were it not for BRS's runway length they would already have a M/E link.

I will add my    to that too. My instant response to the question was BRS/CWL. If they can make the runway length work, I would think BRS would be preferred (as that covers SW England too).
Won't be surprised to see TK launch flights from BRS.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

[email protected]

Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 pm

we are not far from seeing TK launch BRS

That strikes me as being very logical, given the size and nature of BRS' catchment.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BlueShamu330s

Tue May 28, 2013 1:28 pm

MAG is pulling out all the stops in their courtship with EK.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager EMA or STN will precede any further expansion in the UK.

Rgds
Flying around India

hohd

Tue May 28, 2013 1:31 pm

EDI is a likely destination, if your logic is correct then BHX is also about 1.5 hrs from both MAN and LHR, but they still fly there. And United flies to both GLA and EDI from Newark. GLA and EDI have separate catchment areas and should be considered as separate cities. Continental used to fly to Bristol from Newark, so EK can try this also.

eicvd

Tue May 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Quoting Dublinspotter (Reply 7):

Not a chance IMO, DUB covers the island of Ireland quite well for EK & EY, can see more frequencies added by those 2 at DUB before they fly to BFS, SNN or even ORK. If any or the ME 3 start flying to BFS anytime soon it could probably be QR.
COYBIB

sierra3tango

Tue May 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Quoting GCT64 (Reply 10):
I will add my to that too. My instant response to the question was BRS/CWL. If they can make the runway length work, I would think BRS would be preferred (as that covers SW England too).
Won't be surprised to see TK launch flights from BRS.

Might BRS not be an option for QR with their A319LR (or whatever they're termed) and then maybe move up to a 787-8?
Would those aircraft fit on that runway?

Or alternatively could EK do a DXB/BRS/CWL/DXB routing?

theaviator380
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 13):
Quoting nighthawk (Reply 8):

I completely understand and agree upon United service to both EDI and GLA. Will there be enough pax for EDI 77W daily through the week? (Assuming A330 will be goner in near future for EK).

BHX works because of huge number of travelers who travel to Asia and far east countries from this region although MAN has got 3 daily flights and not far away from MAN.

Does EDI and surrounding have that much of population of pax who travel to asia and far east?

Quoting sierra3tango (Reply 15):

That's too complex and time consuming for pax I guess.

Clydenairways

Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 14):
Not a chance IMO, DUB covers the island of Ireland quite well for EK & EY, can see more frequencies added by those 2 at DUB before they fly to BFS, SNN or even ORK. If any or the ME 3 start flying to BFS anytime soon it could probably be QR.

I would agree about EK and EY not serving BFS,SNN and ORK but i would think TK the most likely to serve these.

Regarding the UK, BRS would be a perfect choice if it wasn't for the short runway. Other than that i see EDI as the most likely. LTN makes quite a bit of sense too.
Another suggestion is LBA, even with it's close proximity to MAN it should still generate a lot of traffic for connections to Asia.

theaviator380
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 17):

Imagine A380 trying to land in nasty gusts and high wind at LBA, as LBA is famous for it's terrible weather with cross winds. OK funside apart, I think LBA better option over BFS, BRF or CWL.

2travel2know2

Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 pm

The Bristol area has very high levels of disposable income and a decent amount of business travel - were it not for BRS's runway length they would already have a M/E link.

This would probably mean that if it's for the runway, CWL would be the airport getting the "Bristol area" EK service.
STN could also be another possible EK U.K. destination.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

PlymSpotter

Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Might BRS not be an option for QR with their A319LR (or whatever they're termed) and then maybe move up to a 787-8?
Would those aircraft fit on that runway?

Yes. My understanding is that this was planned, but that QR did not want to be the first airline to operate a 787 into BRS. Then a 763 had a landing incident and bent the fuselage, which made prospective 787 operators reconsider the merits of taking a large aircraft into an airport with a comparatively short runway and a history of bad weather.

Or alternatively could EK do a DXB/BRS/CWL/DXB routing?

That wouldn't work. The airports practically serve the same market, you are not going to persuade people to sit on an aircraft for an hour of more waiting to fly on to a destination they can practically see, where the other half of passenger owuld have to wait for an hour.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 19):
This would probably mean that if it's for the runway, CWL would be the airport getting the "Bristol area" EK service.

There is nothing physically stopping that happening right now, but the market does not appear to be there.

Dan  

VCy

Tue May 28, 2013 2:27 pm

As I learned that EK might possibly start 4th daily service to MAN,

Why a 4th to MAN and not a daily to Liverpool in addition to the 3 in MAN?

PlymSpotter

Tue May 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Quoting VCy (Reply 21):
Why a 4th to MAN and not a daily to Liverpool in addition to the 3 in MAN?

There is no need - Liverpool is served by MAN in this respect. Adding LPL would split the same market share across two operations, resulting in higher costs.

Dan  

AyostoLeon

Tue May 28, 2013 2:37 pm

A couple of considerations when considering which airports would next be possible destinations are:
i) what are the typical destinations presently served by potential candidates (including transfers)
ii) what type of aircraft can the airport handle.

Looking at passenger numbers at CWL over the past few years we see that the overall number has been falling and that flights have largely been seasonal and to traditional vacation destinations in the Mediterranean, etc. Is the catchment of Cardiff sufficient to warrant services elsewhere, via Dubai?

While the first may give some indication of the viability of proposed flights, the second will indicate the ability to serve them. In looking at whether an airport can handle a 77W or A380, for example, we need to look at more than just runway length but also issues of ground handling (taxiways, bay positioning, etc) and passenger handling (how many check-in desks are available, immigration and customs clearance, etc) .

So, for example, if CWL has a runway capable of handling a larger aircraft, does it have the ability to offer sufficient check-in desks, have lounge space for premium passengers, and so on.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

CaptCufflinks

Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 pm

LTN seems like a sound idea to me.

The catchment of Luton spreads north up the M1 to places like Milton Keynes. Between LTN and MK there are countless towns and cities with a high Asian population - Luton itself has a very high Asian community.

[email protected]

Tue May 28, 2013 3:39 pm

It seems that EK will commence a multi-stop routing: Dubai to St Mary's via Manston, Lydd, Shoreham/Brighton, Southampton, and Exeter. It will initially operate the 332 but anticipates a quick upguage to the 77W.   
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

GIANCAVIA

Tue May 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Oh yeah Emirates into Luton, They can park it alongside the only other 777 operator into here Elal. Nice sight.

Not going to happen but nice sight.

gazzadon

Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm

love to see a service go to STN. i am in Harlow right under the flight path when going to land.

willd

Tue May 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Would be great to have EK at BRS and concur with the other views, especially Dan's, that it is all down to runway length concerns.

Quoting Blueshamu330s (Reply 12):

MAG is pulling out all the stops in their courtship with EK.

BOH next then?!?!  

boysteve

Tue May 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 16):
BHX works because of huge number of travelers who travel to Asia and far east countries from this region although MAN has got 3 daily flights and not far away from MAN.

Does EDI and surrounding have that much of population of pax who travel to asia and far east?

In a word, no. For long haul flights MAN serves North West England, North Wales, as well as a big chuck of Yorkshire. This is over 8 million people which is noticeably more than the entire population of Scotland which is ~5.3 million.

EDI would appeal to many inbound tourists from Asia but as has already been stated, inbound tourism is not as fussy about using one of EDI or GLA as outbound pax would be.

starrymarkb

Tue May 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Could the Neo/Max do BRS to DXB? If not Roofing over the A38 could buy them a few hundred feet extra margin?

ThrottleHold

Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 pm

BFS.

Filler
Filler

PlymSpotter

Tue May 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Quoting starrymarkb (Reply 30):
Roofing over the A38 could buy them a few hundred feet extra margin?

The situation is quite complex. The RESA at the western runway end is of insufficient length and it may exceed permitted gradients too - the latter I am not 100% sure of. It is almost certain that the CAA/EASA would not allow an extension at either end without addressing the RESA issue, which means either creating a very large embankment to the west, or displacing the certified runway by around 105m to the east. The latter is most practical, but means creating 105m of extension just to maintain the current declared distances. What's more, I believe the land required for the extension is common land, with a designation of special interest attached. In other words, sit down and have a long planning battle.

Dan  

theaviator380
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 29):

I was almost thinking on same lines, hence I pose the question. I know United made both GLA and EDI work for them but they used/using 757 if I am not wrong. EK to use 77W on GLA route (twice daily) and add 77W or A330 on EDI wouldn't work at all.

Damian

Tue May 28, 2013 10:09 pm

A daily 77W to both GLA and EDI might make more sense, and EDI bosses are understood to be in discussions with EK centred on this possible outcome. Current load factors suggest 2 x daily GLA-DXB isn't penetrating the Scottish market as effectively as a split between the two airports potentially could.

theaviator380
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Quoting damian (Reply 34):

Interesting, didn't know this. Will be interesting to see whether EK ready to cut one GLA and add EDI.

boysteve

Tue May 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 35):
Interesting, didn't know this. Will be interesting to see whether EK ready to cut one GLA and add EDI.

Thay would be an interesting development. believe they did something similar with IAH & DFW when they realised how many IAH pax originated at DFW. However would the evening rotation simply move to EDI or would they operate a lunchtime flight to both EDI & GLA?

gilesdavies

Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Guys, Im a bit confused...

Is there an actual rumour, Emirates are looking to add another UK destination or is this just a wishlist forum for where peple think Emirates could open up another route?

I notice a number of people mentioning LTN, and I would love it to be the next destination they operate to, been a fan of the old airport. But just cannot see it happening, it lacks the facilities the airline would require... There are no air bridges and a serious lack of Executive lounges (only a crappy Aviance Lounge), also the 7000ft runway would be questionable whether it could handle a 777 non-stop to Dubai. I hear El-Al's 777-200 service, is pushing it and Dubai is another two hours flying time away, with all that extra cargo and fuel onboard...

The El-Al service works for Luton, as it is the nearest airport to the suburbs on North/North-West London, where there is a huge and very affluent Jewish population. Hence why El-Al can operate the route daily with 767 on normal days and 777 at peak times, plus easyJet operating the route 12 times a week.

Public transport links are also not great for a premium airline like Emirates would demand, every other London airport has a railway station, while Luton Airport Parkway is a mile down the hill. On the plus side, non-stop East Midland trains only take 20 mins into St Pancras!

If I was to place a penny bet, my smart money would be Stansted. It has all the facilities an airline like Emirates would want and if the route was to do well, it could support the 77W and A380 too, which Luton definately cannot!

Also from a Geographical perspective, Stansted is the London airport furthest away from Heathrow and Gatwick, so in theory could support the markets of East London, which has a huge diverse Asian/African population, as well as attracting passengers from North London, the Northern Home Counties (Herts, Beds and Bucks) and also East Anglia. Areas like Essex and Cambridgeshire are very affluent areas.

An airport in the West of England or Northern Ireland could be a possibility, but outside of cities like Bristol, Cardiff and Belfast, these are quite sparsely populated areas, compared to other regions in the UK Emirates fly to. I think Turkish Airlines is a more likely airline for these regions, where they could easily fill a 737 or A320 to Istanbul and offer onward connections, but filling an A330 or 777 is questionable?

Just another airport to throw into the ring, how about Leeds Bradford?!

Its got the big population centres of Leeds, Bradford and Sheffield, along with the large Asian population. But a route from LBA, might come at the expense of expansion of Emierates services at Manchester.

RyanairGuru

Tue May 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 36):
However would the evening rotation simply move to EDI or would they operate a lunchtime flight to both EDI & GLA?

Other than the IAH-DFW mash up, that isn't EK's usual style. IMHO it's more likely that they will wait for Glasgow to "mature" to the point that it's outgrown it's current capacity, and then add EDI as the "third" rotation instead of an early morning flight a la MAN.

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 37):
If I was to place a penny bet, my smart money would be Stansted. It has all the facilities an airline like Emirates would want and if the route was to do well, it could support the 77W and A380 too, which Luton definately cannot!

Also from a Geographical perspective, Stansted is the London airport furthest away from Heathrow and Gatwick, so in theory could support the markets of East London, which has a huge diverse Asian/African population, as well as attracting passengers from North London, the Northern Home Counties (Herts, Beds and Bucks) and also East Anglia. Areas like Essex and Cambridgeshire are very affluent areas.

When you put it in those terms you wonder why it's taking so long   

[Edited 2013-05-28 16:31:07]
Worked Hard, Flew Right

brilondon

Wed May 29, 2013 3:18 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 1):
STN could be interesting. Given their success at LGW, I don't see why STN couldn't work for them. It is more convenient to the City than LHR (although few people seem to actually know that!)

That because it isn't. I am not sure how you figure it is closer to the city and quicker than LHR direct service.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

RyanairGuru

Wed May 29, 2013 3:24 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 39):
I am not sure how you figure it is closer to the city

Train every 15 minutes to Liverpool Street, vs train every 15 mins to Paddington followed by 30 minutes on the tube across town. Sure, LHR-Paddington is quicker than STN-Liverpool St, but the overall travel time is either comparable or faster.

While LHR is, was, and always will be the premium airport, if I was heading to the financial district I would consider STN if there was decent enough connections to get there.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

theaviator380
Topic Author

Wed May 29, 2013 7:48 am

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 37):

This article is just about wishlist and possible destinations for EK in the UK. We all know EK loves expanding and forming network across so I thought of starting a thread.

Talking about LBA, see my previous reply. MAN alone can handle all traffic coming from L'pool, Leeds, Sheffield, North Wales, Bradford, Blackburn etc. as all these places have good connectivity to MAN and by road it is near as well. So I don't see any point about LBA.

split between EDI and GLA might work might not, don't know. STN would work better compared to LTN, LTN need some renovation.

eljas

Wed May 29, 2013 8:06 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 25):
It seems that EK will commence a multi-stop routing: Dubai to St Mary's via Manston, Lydd, Shoreham/Brighton, Southampton, and Exeter. It will initially operate the 332 but anticipates a quick upguage to the 77W.

That would be a sight to see!!! The 77W is probably half the length of the runway at ISC!!

I can see STN / LTN (maybe not both) working for them. From my experience, EK tends to draw the cost-conscious Y class passengers, many of whom will be perfectly happy and familiar with using these airports when they fly easyjet/ryanair/charter for their holidays. Business travelers from the South East will always prefer LHR.

by738

Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 am

Quoting damian (Reply 34):

I had heard EK were delighted with the double digit growth on their GLA route and will focus expansion there. It would be uncommon in the EK network to split such close destinations regardless of the CO experience. May come eventually but I can't see it in the short term, particularly if GLA A380 rumours in the nearer term are to be believed.

offloaded

Wed May 29, 2013 9:07 am

What about SOU with all the BE feeds?

Or BOH? Plenty of space there since FR's wiping out of most of the competition and then binning most of their services too...

To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

[email protected]

Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 am

Quoting offloaded (Reply 44):
What about SOU

Presumably this is a joke?

SKAirbus

Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 45):
Presumably this is a joke?

I concur.. The runway can barely cope with a 737/320. If you go there and look around all you really see is Dash 8s, the odd E195 and a few ATRs  
Base: BRU

offloaded

Wed May 29, 2013 10:58 am

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 46):

I was thinking they could use runway 17/35. Oh, sorry, that's the M27. My mistake.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

Damian

Wed May 29, 2013 11:56 am

Quoting by738 (Reply 43):

Well, you may have heard that, but I have heard, from a very good source, that dialogue is continuing between EDI and EK with regard to the split scenario I mentioned. There is a feeling that a good case can be made for this in view of the somewhat disappointing load factors per flight for the 2 x daily GLA. There is a feeling that growth may have plateaued with the existing set-up and that a better way to gain market share to/from Scotland is for EK to acknowledge the two distinct markets and to cover them both.

GLAGAZ

Wed May 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Quoting damian (Reply 48):
There is a feeling that a good case can be made for this in view of the somewhat disappointing load factors per flight for the 2 x daily GLA.

I make it a 74% load factor for April, which i'd say is very good. Add in some packed cargo holds and the fact that Emirates deemed the market was strong enough to warrant the introduction of First Class on each service i'm not so sure where you get this "disappointing" bit from.
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos