Topic Author

Rainstorm Suddenly Engulfs Airport In Seconds

Tue May 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Amazing how fast the rain came in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-84Z3vHuw0

TheRedBaron

RE: Rainstorm Suddenly Engulfs Airport In Seconds

Tue May 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Loved how they ran in front of the engine.... that is why accidents happen! Normal weather in asia, one oment there is sun, 2 minutes later there is a downpour.. scary!

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

FlexJetOKC

Tue May 28, 2013 3:22 pm

That is a pretty awesome video. My concern is why no information is given to the ramp crew to get them off the ramp? Seems pretty disorganized.
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer, my grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air...

copter808

Tue May 28, 2013 9:19 pm

Quoting FlexJetOKC (Reply 2):
That is a pretty awesome video. My concern is why no information is given to the ramp crew to get them off the ramp? Seems pretty disorganized.

That was my thought too, since a downpour that heavy is usually the result of a thunderstorm. However, since it was in HKG, perhaps they operate under different rules.

spacecadet

Wed May 29, 2013 12:33 am

Quoting FlexJetOKC (Reply 2):
My concern is why no information is given to the ramp crew to get them off the ramp? Seems pretty disorganized.

Probably because it's a little rain? I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Airports do operate in the rain. A better question might be why they weren't given info so they could put their parkas on and not have to go hide in the fuselage to keep dry.

Engine doesn't appear to be running, so walking in front of it seems a non-issue.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

cjg225

Wed May 29, 2013 12:55 am

I've been in a rainstorm like that before. It's both cool and kinda unnerving. You see this wall of translucence way off in the distance, creeping towards you... by the time the sound really ramps up, it seems like it's moving like a speeding car right for you.

Cool video. Thanks for the post.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

mcogator

Wed May 29, 2013 12:59 am

Looks like Florida in the summer....
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

cjg225

Wed May 29, 2013 1:19 am

Quoting mcogator (Reply 6):
Looks like Florida in the summer....

Ah, yes, the roving blocks of rain... One second you're on a totally dry road, the next you drive through a translucent wall and into a torrential downpour, and a few seconds later you're suddenly back out into a totally dry area...
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

AusA380

Wed May 29, 2013 1:33 am

I was in Hong Kong lecturing that day, and amazing storm day, fortunately the lectures were in the hotel I was staying in so I didn't have to go outside. The thunder and lightening during the evening was amazing - I sleep in hotels very well, was on a low floor, but was woken up several time during the night by it.

The organisers staff were not able to get to my hotel, so I had to start the day myself which was a little different.

As I researched what was happening, the Black warning is the highest and indicates there can be over 70mm of rain per hour.

TWA772LR

Wed May 29, 2013 2:28 am

Reminds me of IAH

Except here the storms are so localized, that , or example, Terminal A could be drenched with a mini-hurricane and Terminal E could be a nice summer day!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

cornutt

Wed May 29, 2013 2:48 am

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 7):
Ah, yes, the roving blocks of rain... One second you're on a totally dry road, the next you drive through a translucent wall and into a torrential downpour, and a few seconds later you're suddenly back out into a totally dry area...

Yeah, I remember living in Florida... pouring down rain on one side of the street, dry on the other...

BestWestern

Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 am

For more information on the rainstorm, visit the excellent HK Met center at:

http://www.hko.gov.hk/press/D4/2013/pre20130522e.htm

The rain that fell that day was phenomenal

http://www.hko.gov.hk/press/D4/2013/pre20120522_1e.png

From midnight till noon, more than 200 millimetres of rain were recorded at Tung Chung (Airport)
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

railker

Wed May 29, 2013 4:07 am

I've been on the ramp in a downpour like that. Can't even see the control tower which is less than a kilometer away, dry ground to standing in an inch of water in what seems like no time. Bags being offloaded down the belt, calls from the CSA's as we run the 'first bags' to dry and keep the bags dry when they're getting their daily intake of water just on the ride down the belt. Good fun! But no reason to run and hide. Just squint through the rain and keep goin'.

johnclipper

Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 am

That day we received over 8 inches of rain. It was squally and most of the time came out of nowhere.
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

md11dude

Wed May 29, 2013 4:26 am

Looks like a microburst. Ouch!
CP979

mayor

Wed May 29, 2013 4:41 am

When I was working the ramp in SHV, we had a storm come thru like this, including lightning. They pulled us off the ramp and, I swear to God, it was raining so hard you couldn't see the 727 at the gate, not more than 10 yards away from the window in ops.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

AeroSafari

Wed May 29, 2013 6:56 am

Looks rather similar to the yearly monsoons in PHX, except those usually carry a lot more dust.   
Just remember, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour

EK413

Wed May 29, 2013 7:51 am

Awesome video!

What happened to the 10 nautical mile & 5 nautical mile beacon warning system???

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Panman

Wed May 29, 2013 7:51 am

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 1):
Loved how they ran in front of the engine.... that is why accidents happen!

That's a very irrelevant statement.

1. Anti-collision lights are off - very good indicator that engines are not running and it is safe to approach the aircraft.
2. There is no sign of the engineer on the headset (who you see just forward of the nose gear) waving at the ground crew and telling them not to go in front of the #1 engine far less approach the aircaft.
3. Forward and aft cargo doors are open. For an aircraft that has just arrived on stand, this is also a good indication that the engineer on the headset has already given the all clear signal to the ground crew. Someone would have had to have walked behind the operating #1 engine to open the aft cargo door.
2. Most airports wont allow the airbridge/jetty to be connected to the aircraft with engines running on arrival. (You can see the canopy being lowered to the aircraft so it has just arrived on stand). Engineer on headset has to give the signal to the airbridge operator that it is safe to approach the aircraft.

PanmaN

Type-Rated

Wed May 29, 2013 8:05 am

While watching that video I could almost feel the rush of cool air and the smell of fresh rain right before the rain arrived.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

theaviator380

Wed May 29, 2013 8:11 am

Wow..fantastic..lol at 0.34 everyone jumping inside cargo hold...      

knoxibus

Wed May 29, 2013 1:22 pm

I remember being on the ramp at RUN (Reunion Island in the indian ocean), in 1997. We had such a downpour that we stayed in a DC-10 engine front cowl for 15 minutes!

That place is crazy, it has all the world rainfall records from 12 hours up to 15 days duration....
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

mcogator

Wed May 29, 2013 2:40 pm

This is how it looks like in the summer time from Orlando to Miami.

“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

readytotaxi

Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 pm

That vid reminds me when I was at Orlando in one of the theme parks and this "curtain of water" rushed towards me, I spotted it and took cover, others where not so lucky. 
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

sturmovik

Wed May 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Loved how the A320 rudder deflects when the rainstorm reaches the aircraft! (I didn't notice it myself, but a comment on youtube directed my attention to it   )
'What's it doing now?'

cyeg66

Wed May 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Wow. That's insane. I've never seen a curtain of rain fall that heavily and move so swiftly. You'd better believe I'd be seeking shelter! Now, if you wanna talk about snowstorms, then I've got a few stories. 
slow to 160, contact tower, slow to 160, contact tower, slow to....ZZZZZZZ......

DocLightning

Wed May 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 9):
Except here the storms are so localized, that , or example, Terminal A could be drenched with a mini-hurricane and Terminal E could be a nice summer day!

SFO is similar with two key differences:
1) It's not rain, it's fog
2) The fog starts and ends abruptly (spacially), but holds still. So the east end of Runway 28 can be bright and sunny and just past the intersection with the 19s, it suddenly turns into fog as thick as pea soup. The transition is abrupt, often going from clear to completely foggy in as little as five meters. Back up those same five meters and you'll be back in the bright sun looking up at a massive, static wall of fog blowing past you but not moving forward or backwards. It's very strange.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

deepunderground

Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 am

That's pretty much every afternoon here in Papua eek

mayor

Thu May 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 9):

I've seen it even more localized than that in SLC. I've seen it snowing on the odd side of "D" concourse and clear on the even side or vice versa.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos