Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747
Topic Author

Scariest 747 Landing Ever - Video..gotta Love It!

Fri May 31, 2013 6:04 pm

If not the scariest.. it is indeed in the top three!

I love how the videographer zooms in on the cockpit to get a look at the pilots faces...

You be the judge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDBYVzhZFtQ

BN747

[Edited 2013-05-31 11:08:44]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

yellowtail

RE: Scariest 747 Landing Ever - Video..gotta Love It!

Fri May 31, 2013 6:08 pm

Looks bad.....his aircraft must have been really lightly loaded to be blown around like that
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

AWACSooner

Fri May 31, 2013 6:13 pm

I don't see the big deal...he didn't scrape anything.

BN747
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Quoting awacsooner (Reply 2):
I don't see the big deal...he didn't scrape anything.

Big deals are accidents, we don't want those... but this is inches away from something undesirable.

Scrapes as in 'tail scrape'..usually occur on rotation, not landing.

We don't want anything 'scraping or touching the ground' on landing - and we certainly don't want a spill or every landing be like this one, someone else may not recover so fortunately.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

AA737-823

Fri May 31, 2013 6:42 pm

Okay, so you guys' descriptions are a bit over the top... I can find ten scarier 747 videos on youtube in about five seconds. BUT- that was indeed a close one.
Narita is renown for tricky landings and odd winds.
And his high sinkrate didn't look to be doing him any favors.

northstar80

Fri May 31, 2013 6:48 pm

Wow that was really close.

It kind of looked to me as though the plane was coming down a little too fast - do you guys also think that the vertical speed was too high and flare was late?

330lover

Fri May 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Is this really so bad? I would imagine there are, what, daily landings like this worldwide?
Ok, it looks somewhat close, but there are hundreds of fragments with worse landings than this.
After all, isn't this what they are trained for?

Or am I totally wrong here?
Wilco, as a 747 pilot, what do you think?
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

Flighty

Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 pm

This is one of those landings where the passengers probably start groaning in anticipation of a miserable end.

Do they have to report things like this? No?

BN747
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 4):
I can find ten scarier 747 videos on youtube in about five seconds.

I'd really like to see them .. please share! Heck, I'll give you ten minutes!

Also, as a side note... this video had '1' view when I posted it here, currently it shows 301+ knowing youtube cautionary stance (and adjustments) when sudden high views register.. they take awhile to post the exact number - from my own experience, I'm guessing the actual number be over 1000 at this point as many have watched it more than once. Even with 300 views 'my like' plus that of one other' is pretty pathetic in support of this Japanese videographer to bring such stunning sights for all to see - please click on the 'like' icon in support of the guys like this fella who go out spend their money (& time) rounding out the hobby we all enjoy and delivering such stunning visuals. It really helps!

BN747

DUSint

Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 pm

Much on this one is due to the awkward wing flex and movements - it looks like a drunken break-dance...  

Ronaldo747

Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Is that in Narita? Reminds me a bit to the Fedex Md11 accident there. May them RIP and kudos to the Delta crew that they held off the bird.

citation501sp

Fri May 31, 2013 7:57 pm

I looks like asymmetrical spoiler deployment on touchdown. The right side fully deploys while the left it looks as though they deploy initially then retract, only to slowly fully deploy after the aircraft has slowed.

501sp
Smoke and Thunder! Stage 2 FOREVER!!!

woodsboy

Fri May 31, 2013 8:12 pm

I dont see the spoilers redeploying at all after they retract, only on the left side are the spoilers deployed. This would explain why the right wing was creating lift while the left wing had full spoilers. Tech malfunction? Pilot error?

whiplash

Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 pm

That only a 3/10 for its suckiness.. Seen way worse..
A320 driver

BasilFawlty

Fri May 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Remainds me of that AF 74Y at NRT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUs-712PF0
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

N821NW

Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 pm

I was coming on this thread to see some really cool landing and all I saw was a (relatively) normal NRT landing...Kai Tak videos make you have a higher adrenaline rush then this.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 8):
Also, as a side note... this video had '1' view when I posted it here, currently it shows 301+ knowing youtube cautionary stance (and adjustments) when sudden high views register.. they take awhile to post the exact number - from my own experience, I'm guessing the actual number be over 1000 at this point as many have watched it more than once. Even with 300 views 'my like' plus that of one other' is pretty pathetic in support of this Japanese videographer to bring such stunning sights for all to see - please click on the 'like' icon in support of the guys like this fella who go out spend their money (& time) rounding out the hobby we all enjoy and delivering such stunning visuals. It really helps!

And don't forget to subscribe to!
If only more people understood the pure beauty of the Airbus A320 and A330 family's...

citationjet

Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 pm

My personal favorate 747 cross wind landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

citation501sp

Fri May 31, 2013 8:46 pm

Quoting woodsboy (Reply 12):
I dont see the spoilers redeploying at all after they retract, only on the left side are the spoilers deployed. This would explain why the right wing was creating lift while the left wing had full spoilers. Tech malfunction? Pilot error?

After a few more views it looks like it is a full left wing down control input that brings the wings back to level.

The inner panels look to have deployed on landing. The outer panels, after initial deployment for wings level correction, remain closed for quite some time before coming up near the end of the roll out.

501sp
Smoke and Thunder! Stage 2 FOREVER!!!

fxramper

Fri May 31, 2013 8:48 pm

Quoting CitationJet (Reply 16):

I agree.

Kai Tek has the at least the top 5 scariest 747 landings of all time. I was almost killed there a few times.

Also almost died by 757 on CDG-EWR last year. Tate trimmed the grass with the winglet.

AWACSooner

Fri May 31, 2013 8:49 pm

Guys, it really is nothing. I've been in worse landings on my airplane...and we haven't scraped anything in my 2000+ hours.

BN747
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 18):
Kai Tek has the at least the top 5 scariest 747 landings of all time. I was almost killed there a few times.

My Kaitak experiences were great, none anywhere near this bad.

And in spite of all the 'oh thats nothing comments' .. that's reckless because if the Chief Pilot or CEO of Delta or any carrier was standing there watching with from this viewpoint (and do take notice of the windsock on the left at 00:02 - 00:10) and you were bringing down one of my 200+ million dollar jets like this and shrugging it off as 'oh it's nothing...' .. you'd better have a much better explanation or you'd be working for another carrier (or not after I showed them how you fly and don't worry).

I'd even bet if the pax on board saw this vid they'd demand the pilot's name and be made aware of any flight they may be booked on ...not to fly with this guy again.

The Air France 747 video shows he was battling seriously brutal crosswinds and was waayyy smoother than this fella in optimal conditions.

BN747

TupolevTu154

Fri May 31, 2013 9:53 pm

Speaking of bad landings, does anybody have a link to the video of a Corsair 744 being absolutely hammered down in Mauritius or some other exotic island? I seem to remember the aircraft pretty much flaring into the ground, defnitely the hardest landing I've ever seen on tape. It was zoomed in nice and close just to make matters worse for the ego-bruised pilot!

Come to think of it, I think it was removed from Youtube for some reason or another. Just wondering if anybody's seen it floating around recently?

UALDUDE

Fri May 31, 2013 10:36 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 20):
And in spite of all the 'oh thats nothing comments' .. that's reckless because if the Chief Pilot or CEO of Delta or any carrier was standing there watching with from this viewpoint (and do take notice of the windsock on the left at 00:02 - 00:10) and you were bringing down one of my 200+ million dollar jets like this and shrugging it off as 'oh it's nothing...' .. you'd better have a much better explanation or you'd be working for another carrier (or not after I showed them how you fly and don't worry).

I'd even bet if the pax on board saw this vid they'd demand the pilot's name and be made aware of any flight they may be booked on ...not to fly with this guy again.

REALLLY!? This sounds like the rhetoric of someone who is not a pilot and once again on this forum, someone who does not understand what flying an airplane much less a transport category passenger jet is all about. How do you know the Chief Pilot for -400 fleet was not the Captain on this flight? The CEO of Delta would be happy that their training program and hiring experienced pilots prevented it from getting out of control. Bad landings happen. Especially in winds like NRT gets sometimes. We all have them. Fortunately for us professional pilots, there are people like you to critique them and let us know you could do them better. I think not. Landing is the hardest part of flying an airplane and sometimes things happen. It can happen to anyone, at anytime, no matter how much time you have in the seat or in the airplane.

BN747
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2013 11:22 pm

Quoting UALDUDE (Reply 22):
REALLLY!? This sounds like the rhetoric of someone who is not a pilot and once again on this forum, someone who does not understand what flying an airplane much less a transport category passenger jet is all about. ..... The CEO of Delta would be happy that their training program and hiring experienced pilots prevented it from getting out of control. Bad landings happen

Highly Doubtful, CEO's are money-bottomline people...when they see this plane doing this - they see a stack of cash (200+ million), they see the revenue it generates and the number of lives where that engine (play it on a big screen frame by frame) came within 2-3 inches of making contact with asphalt. Depending on the angle and force of contact is the difference between the good day it was and the bad day it could have been. That's what a CEO sees and he would want a more detailed explanation than 'oh it's n big deal'... Remove your pilot cap for a sec ...and think like a responsible CEO who cares more for the lives that make his company profitable above all else..you'd conclude 'this is not normal under these particular calm conditions...what happened?'

I'd like to hear Aaron747 or any Japanese member translate what the shooter is saying.. it certainly is not 'ooh great landing'. These guys are out there shooting everyday and they are silent when they do.. here, we hear alarm in the tone of their response. Their response of course, is almost unanimous with any viewer except, an experienced pilot. And all of them will not agree with each other on how the situation came to be what it was - they'd have some great and close to-the-truth assumptions, but the wisest would express their very same experiences (same aircraft + calm conditions) and even then they may want to hear the actual PIC's opinion before flying off at the handle.

To reach for the 'you're not a pilot, so you don't know what you're talking about' card reminds of the 'you're not a doctor, so you don't know what you're talking about'..and guess what .. I've seen more 'wrong' doctors than I care to count.

I've seen proof of bad doctors.
I've seen proof of bad cops.
I've seen proof of bad car mechanics.
I've seen proof of bad instructors.
..are you here to proclaim there's no such thing as bad piloting? Because if so, the NTSB, youtube and other sources have documented proof and imagery to counter such a claim.

Something you may claim as 'bad piloting' (if such a thing exist in your book) may be a point of disagreement by another experienced pilot... yes or no?

I'm no pilot, true (by choice), but I spend a lot of time on the runways with pilots.. and I know a good landing from a god awful landing but paradoxically, any landing where no one gets hurt..is a good landing. And I give this guy credit a great recovery - but again were I his CEO cruising youtube and came across this...I'd certainly have the chief pilot on the fone asking 'what was that about?'...but that's just me.

BN747

[Edited 2013-05-31 16:29:06]

BasilFawlty

Fri May 31, 2013 11:33 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 21):
Speaking of bad landings, does anybody have a link to the video of a Corsair 744 being absolutely hammered down in Mauritius or some other exotic island? I seem to remember the aircraft pretty much flaring into the ground, defnitely the hardest landing I've ever seen on tape. It was zoomed in nice and close just to make matters worse for the ego-bruised pilot!

Come to think of it, I think it was removed from Youtube for some reason or another. Just wondering if anybody's seen it floating around recently?

Unfortunately it was indeed deleted. If I remember correctly it was in PTP or FDF. Here's the original topic by the way: CorsairFly 744 Hard Landing 3 Bounces - Jeez (by BN747 Nov 6 2011 in Civil Aviation)
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

UALDUDE

Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 23):
Highly Doubtful, CEO's are money-bottomline people...when they see this plane doing this - they see a stack of cash (200+ million), they see the revenue it generates and the number of lives where that engine (play it on a big screen frame by frame) came within 2-3 inches of making contact with asphalt. Depending on the angle and force of contact is the difference between the good day it was and the bad day it could have been. That's what a CEO sees and he would want a more detailed explanation than 'oh it's n big deal'... Remove your pilot cap for a sec ...and think like a responsible CEO who cares more for the lives that make his company profitable above all else..you'd conclude 'this is not normal under these particular calm conditions...what happened?'
To reach for the 'you're not a pilot, so you don't know what you're talking about' card reminds of the 'you're not a doctor, so you don't know what you're talking about'..and guess what .. I've seen more 'wrong' doctors than I care to count.
I'm no pilot, true (by choice), but I spend a lot of time on the runways with pilots.. and I know a good landing from a god awful landing but paradoxically, any landing where no one gets hurt..is a good landing. And I give this guy credit a great recovery - but again were I his CEO cruising youtube and came across this...I'd certainly have the chief pilot on the fone asking 'what was that about?'...but that's just me.

Not doubtful at all. Do you know the amount of incidents that happen everyday at an airline the size of Delta? You probably don't. The CEO has better things to do with his expensive time than look at youtube and call people in and ask "what's this all about?" That is why there is an infrastructure in place when things do happen. Agreed, not all pilots are great pilots and not all doctors are great doctors, but sometimes things are out of your control at some point and incidents happen. I don't think for a minute that those pilots chose profit over peoples lives and you are quite off in thinking that way. If you spend so much time with pilots on runways(exactly what is your job?), you should know that. If the weather was that bad or the forecast was , they would have diverted, nobody tries to be a hero. By the way, it was not calm conditions, you can see the trees blowing pretty briskly in the foreground right at the beginning of the video. Probably a stiff crosswind, well known at NRT. One of our aircraft encountered windshear while they were in the flare and made a very hard landing. Aircraft was down for several days. Do you think our CEO lost sleep about it? No. Things happen and it was not negligence. It's an airline and here in the US there is a culture of safety and doing it right.
Reaching for the "you are not a pilot", it's not reaching, in most instances it's true. Not trying to talk down, it's just fact. People don't understand unless they have experience doing it. I have no clue what a surgeon has to do during open heart surgery and all of the risks, factors and things that can go wrong. I wouldn't go on a medical forum and second guess how they did the surgery. I know virtually nothing about it and watching it on TV does not qualify me either.
Sorry, but it drives me crazy when people want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. That's exactly what this is...a mole hill.

AmericanAirFan

Fri May 31, 2013 11:50 pm

I can almost guarantee you this video has made it through to a lot of 747 pilots right now. Even chief pilots I'm sure. It wouldn't surprise me if the pilots were asked to discuss the nature of what happened. Beyond a slap on the wrist I don't see much else happening here. The pilots kept it under control. Bad landings happen. You think it's expensive to own an asset? Think about how expensive it is to train the crew that fly these birds. You're going to need a lot more than a bad day at the office like that to get you fired. Now, if the pilot's attitude WAS "It's not big deal," or something similar to that effect, I'm sure there would be questions about the pilot's ability to make good judgements. The likelihood that these pilots felt that way is highly unlikely. I'm sure there was discussion about that landing afterwards amongst the crew.

I'm not a pilot flying big old heavies, but I am a pilot and you would be surprised how quickly things get around and how many people really talk about them internally.

-AAF
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

Aaron747

Fri May 31, 2013 11:59 pm

I'd like to hear Aaron747 or any Japanese member translate what the shooter is saying.. it certainly is not 'ooh great landing'. These guys are out there shooting everyday and they are silent when they do.. here, we hear alarm in the tone of their response.

Nothing particularly of note actually. The first guy just reacts with surprise saying "whoa what are they doing?" and then when the aircraft oscillation was stabilized the other guy said "they did it". The first guy then wondered if they were OK.

This is pretty benign as NRT landing videos go. The tower controller even called winds 050 at 5, which is a crosswind at NRT, but nothing like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=321vhaVKWjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtnIB65QCYI

Pilot chatter at NRT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg2QPxJcfdU
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:33 am

Quoting UALDUDE (Reply 25):
The CEO has better things to do with his expensive time than look at youtube and call people in and ask "what's this all about?"

You really don't see how the world has changed do you?

You have CEO's doing everything from playing WOW to Twitter to Facebook High School girlfriend stalking... watching youtube is certainly on some airline's CEO computer bookmarks.

I don't think for a minute that those pilots chose profit over peoples lives and you are quite off in thinking that way.

Wrong there pal, I said the CEO's see a Plane as Cash and Pax as Revenue. Nowhere do you see me saying a pilot has that same view.

By the way, it was not calm conditions, you can see the trees blowing pretty briskly in the foreground right at the beginning of the video. Probably a stiff crosswind, well known at NRT.

The Windsock at 00:02 - 00:10 says differently..and look at where it's located..

Quoting AmericanAirFan (Reply 26):
Now, if the pilot's attitude WAS "It's not big deal," or something similar to that effect, I'm sure there would be questions about the pilot's ability to make good judgements. The likelihood that these pilots felt that way is highly unlikely. I'm sure there was discussion about that landing afterwards amongst the crew.

And this is exactly my sentiment. They don't have that 'no big deal attitude' that some real or SIM pilots are expressing here.

Quoting aaron747 (Reply 27):
The first guy just reacts with surprise saying "whoa what are they doing?" and then when the aircraft oscillation was stabilized the other guy said "they did it". The first guy then wondered if they were OK.

But that's my point, the Japanese shooters (I subscribe to the top 10 prolific Japanese shooters) do not comment while shooting.. for the these guy's to break slience.. for a moment were concerned. Just as I was when I shot the scary Continental 757 landing at EWR. It does jar the nerves as you're zoomed in on it while it is happening.

And a BiG THANKS too all the guys who responded kindly by checking 'likes' for this guys video while viewing... with the A.net OP line showing over 7000+ views on this thread.. this guys gonna wake up tomorrow with some great viewing stats! And thanks to the fella who mentioned my username on his page.

BN747

spacecadet

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:37 am

I'm not a pilot flying big old heavies, but I am a pilot and you would be surprised how quickly things get around and how many people really talk about them internally.

Yeah, but if you listen to people on a.net, even losing two engine cowlings and trailing smoke is a "non-event".  

Nothing happened here in the end but people really underestimate how close things are sometimes. And no, this is not really normal even for NRT. I fly into NRT all the time - this looks like about the worst landing I've experienced at NRT (I had one that I think probably looked like this from the outside, but that was about 12 years ago and I've had about 20 perfectly normal landings there since).
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:51 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=321vhaVKWjw

This Delta 744 shot by Hakuto was way steadier (even in far worse conditions than the title vid) but Hakuto shot some super scary landings the same day he shot this one you posted.. I think one involved another KE 773 dancing down the runway again. But he shot a slew of stuff that day or series of days with rough winds. He is one of Japan's best videographers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtnIB65QCYI

This is one by Masaaki Asukayama is really pretty casual from my viewpoint done by a very prolific shooter - probably just behind Nao Nakagawa - the long time king of Japanese aviation vids.

BN747

ezalpha

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:53 am

Quoting whiplash (Reply 13):
That only a 3/10 for its suckiness.. Seen way worse..

I agree. Sometimes on the 33's at YYZ it's really an airshow. When the wide bodies are dancing around you should look away when RJs are on approach. But, while it's exciting, we haven't had a mishap yet. And that's after many years observing.

USER PROFILE
SEND

catiii

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:04 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 20):

You haven't got a clue about the first thing about line flying, let alone flying a 744 into NRT, and you're making absolute statements like that? If I were you I'd quit while I can, because the issue you're going to run into is a number of VERY knowledgable posters, far more knowledgable than you, who are going to correct you. I also suggest you go learn about things like LOSA, FOQA, the LOIs signed that go into them, and the safety data and reporting culture that airlines like DL, UA, and others have pioneered before you cowboy up with uneducated statements like: "...because if the Chief Pilot or CEO of Delta or any carrier was standing there watching with from this viewpoint (and do take notice of the windsock on the left at 00:02 - 00:10) and you were bringing down one of my 200+ million dollar jets like this and shrugging it off as 'oh it's nothing...' .. you'd better have a much better explanation or you'd be working for another carrier (or not after I showed them how you fly and don't worry)."

You, buddy, haven't got the first clue. I'm embarrassed for you.

Also, this looks to be the same landing shot from a different angle. The windsock is straight out. Obviously it was gusty on the arrival end of the runway.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qt0gKpIVv4

Another absolute statement. You can "almost guarantee" it? How so? It has only 300 views.

[Edited 2013-05-31 18:19:34]

Aaron747

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:20 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 28):
But that's my point, the Japanese shooters (I subscribe to the top 10 prolific Japanese shooters) do not comment while shooting.. for the these guy's to break slience.. for a moment were concerned. Just as I was when I shot the scary Continental 757 landing at EWR. It does jar the nerves as you're zoomed in on it while it is happening.

They don't comment on shots they are going to upload to the Internet. But as someone who has spent a lot of time around the spotter corps here, I can tell you there's just as much chatter among these guys as anywhere.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 30):
Nao Nakagawa - the long time king of Japanese aviation vids.

No dispute there.

Hakuto

A really nice guy, and speaks English much better than I speak Japanese. Have seen met at NGO a couple times over the last few years.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:21 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 32):
You, buddy, haven't got the first clue. I'm embarrassed for you.
Another absolute statement. You can "almost guarantee" it? How so?

I see .. since we're wrong and this is not 'a bad landing'.. can you please post a video that is.

You haven't got a clue about the first thing about line flying,
Also, this looks to be the same landing shot from a different angle. The windsock is straight out. Obviously it was gusty on the arrival end of the runway.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qt0gKpIVv4

I may not know as much about flying as you do.. or nothing at all about as you say...

I do know that the video you claim to be the same but different angle..was shot and is dated nearly 50 days prior to the one I opened the thread with.

Also, I could be better familiar with Narita than you are.. as you posted this link of a DL 744 landing on 16R/34L

and mine in the title is arriving on 16L/34R...from the 34R approach.

and the two landings look nothing alike from where I stand... but what do I know?

BN747

[Edited 2013-05-31 18:45:50]

wjv04

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:27 am

I dont think that was a "hard" landing, in fact the aircraft was still producing lift while on the ground... (speed) It was a gust of wind that caused that obviously. It is for this exact situation why airliners and most aircraft in general get "planted" firmly on the ground intentionally from the flight crew during windy conditions. Probally over 15,000 hours of flying experience in the helm of that aircraft and it shows. Nice recovery IMO.

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:31 am

Quoting aaron747 (Reply 33):
They don't comment on shots they are going to upload to the Internet. But as someone who has spent a lot of time around the spotter corps here, I can tell you there's just as much chatter among these guys as anywhere.

no no.. I mean while shooting no chatting. We vidogs hate that and others standing about usually cut it when one is recording. But oh yea, I know what you mean.

Quoting aaron747 (Reply 33):
Nao Nakagawa - the long time king of Japanese aviation vids.

No dispute there.

He is the reigning Champ! Aviation lovers owe this guy lots!

Quoting BN747 (Reply 34):
Hakuto

A really nice guy, and speaks English much better than I speak Japanese. Have seen met at NGO a couple times over the last few years.

That's awesome.. I look forward to meeting him and associate from another country said he same as you about him.
And he is indeed johnny-on-the-spot!

Do you shoot as well?

Be on the look out.. I'll be releasing a Boeing 707 video shortly that's gonna blow the lid of anything ever put together on the tube!

BN747

Aeri28

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:34 am

that was scary. I wonder what the average passenger thought lol

thanks a lot for sharing this.

RickNRoll

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:43 am

I think this A380 landing was a little rougher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQW6ThGILq4

Hope they had their seat belts on tight.

catiii

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:43 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 34):

Seriously? You just made my point for me about your lack of knowledge. Have you seen the FOQA outputs? Was the approach stabilized per the manuals? Did they catch windshear close in? You're talking about things that you have no clue about. There's no definition of a "bad" landing anywhere at Delta Air Lines. And if there were, you're not in any position to make a judgement. Pursuing this angle only further underscores your lack of aircraft handling knowledge, your lack of line ops knowledge, and the lack of basic knowledge of the safety and reporting culture that US carriers and regulators have created. You make absolute statements about the CEO and Chief Pilots, and you don't have the first clue about what the ASAP or FOQA programs are.

A.net is great for a lot of things. Unfortunately it's also a great forum for armchair quarterbacks to second guess pilots and score "cheap" insults after watching a YouTube video.

[Edited 2013-05-31 18:47:10]

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:51 am

[/quote]

Quoting RickNRoll (Reply 38):
I think this A380 landing was a little rougher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQW6T...GILq4

Holy Moly!!!

I'd like to see the front angle view on that one! But look at the winds he's battling! Brutal!

Quoting catiii (Reply 39):
Seriously? You just made my point for me about your lack of knowledge.

I may not know as much about flying as you do.. or nothing at all about as you say...

I do know that the video you claim to be the same but different angle..was shot and is dated nearly 50 days prior to the one I opened the thread with.

Also, I could be better familiar with Narita than you are.. as you posted this link of a DL 744 landing on 16R/34L

and mine in the title is arriving on 16L/34R...from the 34R approach.

At least for a non-pilot ... I can immediately spot the runway orientations at airports.

BN747

[Edited 2013-05-31 18:52:09]

catiii

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:01 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 40):

You're right, I posted an incorrect video. In willing to admit when I make a mistake.

So now that I've stipulated to that and taken your talking point off the table, how about you explain to us what was so "bad" about this landing, what the FOQA data said, and your understanding of both the LOIs related to the use of FOQA data at DL and the safety reporting culture that would compel the CEO and the Chief Pilot to call these pilots in.

cjg225

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:48 am

Quoting CitationJet (Reply 16):
My personal favorate 747 cross wind landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE

Wow.

I just happen to have never seen a civilian aircraft do that. I am sure it is no different than military aircraft, but I just, for whatever reason, have never seen a civilian aircraft in that situation. I've seen B-52s nearly sideways, though!

Pilot chatter at NRT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg2QP...JcfdU

I found that oddly amusing.

"He's not gonna do it... on no, give up, give up!" I had to laugh out loud at that.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

RWA380

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:27 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 8):

Also, as a side note... this video had '1' view when I posted it here, currently it shows 301+ knowing youtube cautionary stance (and adjustments) when sudden high views register.. they take awhile to post the exact number - from my own experience, I'm guessing the actual number be over 1000 at this point as many have watched it more than once. Even with 300 views 'my like' plus that of one other' is pretty pathetic in support of this Japanese videographer to bring such stunning sights for all to see - please click on the 'like' icon in support of the guys like this fella who go out spend their money (& time) rounding out the hobby we all enjoy and delivering such stunning visuals. It really helps

Cool video, thanks for sharing. I think your responses are coming across with a tenor of negativity, and it may be why you have some people responding the way they are. I have learned the hard way on this site that speaking about something you are not totally familiar with here on A.net, is a capital offense, and it will end bad eventually.

People love to tell you when you are wrong, but rarely offer praise for any reason. Also you respond to your post like you have a personal stake in it's success, I think it is against A.net "rules" to promote another website, even if your intentions are just to support a good spotter. Just my 2 cents.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

crownvic

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:51 am

I have tried to read through all the threads. I am not a 747 pilot, but know the flying characteristics of this a/c rather well. The surface winds were 050 at 5 knots, according to the tower. Granted, these could be the conditions at the measuring equipment, but I do not see any meteorological conditions that would substantiate that the winds were that much worse on the approach end. To me, this just looks like a bad landing that included a high sink rate and poor flare before touch-down. He may have hit the wake of a prior a/c that could have induced this.

tockeyhockey

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:58 am

the outter right engine definitely scraped the tarmac.

rc135x

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:17 am

Watching the original video it appears the airplane was stabilized on the approach and had an acceptable sink rate but then two things happened:

1. It appears the pilot flying flared late (this may have been intentional to drive the airplane onto the ground to dissipate wing lift and allowing for maximum braking and nose wheel directional control); and

2. During the roundout and crosswind correction the pilot flying appears to apply excessive or inappropriate control input, and I wouldn't be surprised if both pilots were on the yoke for a moment to stabilize the landing. The right wing drops first and then there is an over-correction to the left coupled with significant rudder input, eliminating the potential for PIO. Any of these motions could have been caused by wind gusts as well, and the pilots reacted effectively in controlling the airplane.

After that the roll out is smooth and doesn't show any signs of instability or severe crosswinds as do many of the other videos posted here, although there is noticeable rudder input to align with the runway centerline.

I think if it were my FO (or me!) making the landing I would have debriefed it by saying "Do you see how easily it could have gotten away from you there?" It might make a good "ice breaker" at a CRM conversation or "hangar flying." Other than the squirrely roundout I thought was a fairly decent landing, certainly better than a lot of the other landings in the linked videos.
KC-135A, A(RT), D, E, E(RT), Q, R, EC-135A, C, G, L, RC-135S, U, V, W, X, TC-135S, W

md80fanatic

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:39 am

That 747 could have been fully loaded and still react that way just after touchdown. As you all likely know the full aircraft weight is being mostly supported by a pair of wings that are still very much providing lift, and that lift tapers off linearly as the aircraft slows. The same principle is what makes high speed rejects so dangerous. There isn't much WoW (weight on wheels) at V1 to make braking effective on any surface.

futureualpilot

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:35 am

An interesting watch, sure, but let me get this straight? A landing that results in zero deaths, injuries or aircraft damage still has folks on here skewering the crew despite the fact that so far none of us were either:

A) Present in the flight deck and privy to what knowledge and information the crew had and what they were experiencing

and/or

B) Have flown a transport category airplane, particularly in conditions like this, much less a wide body.

All because in the eyes of people who don't fall into one of the two categories above think it looked scary?

[Edited 2013-06-01 00:00:42]
Life is better when you surf.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:50 am

Looks like a stable approach with a bit of a PIO (pilot induced osscilation - basically overcontrolling) on touchdown. A bit cheek clenching as the PIO was started, but not that scary as it was mitaged before it got out of hand.

Definitely a sensationalist title to the thread.
Chicks dig winglets.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos