Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xiaotung
Topic Author

Etihad Invited To Join Oneworld

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:06 am

Hortan said OneWorld does not have any immediate plans to include any other Indian carrier as of now. “We have an important presence in the Indian sub-continent through our member carriers, including Qatar Airways and Sri Lankan Airlines flying into India,” Horton said, adding that Etihad Airways was also being extended an invitation to join the alliance.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...global-alliance/article4778018.ece

This has got to be huge. It looks like QF's days in oneworld would be numbered if EY decided to join.

mdavies06

RE: Etihad Invited To Join Oneworld

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 am

What this implies is OW did invite EY to join. However, as we all know OW eventually went with QR. I doubt EY is still actively considering the invitation given QR is already enlisted to join. It doesn't make sense for EY to be in OW along with QR, although I am sure OW is more than happy to enlist both!

qf002

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:53 am

Quoting mdavies06 (Reply 1):
What this implies is OW did invite EY to join. However, as we all know OW eventually went with QR. I doubt EY is still actively considering the invitation given QR is already enlisted to join. It doesn't make sense for EY to be in OW along with QR, although I am sure OW is more than happy to enlist both!

I agree, but the wording definitely implies that the invitation is currently being extended. I think this is just a case of a journalist not realising what they're saying because they don't totally understand the subject area.

I would be shocked to see EY in OW.

BlueShamu330s

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 am

What this implies is OW did invite EY to join. However, as we all know OW eventually went with QR. I doubt EY is still actively considering the invitation given QR is already enlisted to join.

The invitation was considerably more recent than you might believe.

OneWorld is becoming more aggressive in its pursuit of additional coverage. Bringing Etihad into the fold will ensure Air Berlin remains a member and by default gives the alliance more presence in India by way of Etihad's links with Jet.

A shrewd and very positive move.   

Rgds
Flying around India

LJ

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:18 am

EY made it clear it doen't intend to join any alliance. Moreover, why would EY join oneworld? They don't have anything to gain. You can invite all you want (and I guess Skyteam would have invited as well), but they probably won't come.

RubberJungle

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Senior representatives of Etihad and Oneworld have both said it's nonsense.

ZKOJH

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:01 pm

They said this about QR not joining and looked what happened! They should just ask EK too and get it over with, i would suspect that China and India are on the grab which oneworld could do with. But only time will tell...
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

IrishAyes

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:20 pm

EY will not join OneWorld. They have zero reason to. Etihad's current strategy offers vastly superior advantages to its network over belonging to any of the major global alliances. If anything, EY will get cozy with SkyTeam members mostly, without actually joining the alliance.

olympic472

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

I have not been following any discussions on the alliances lately.
Any updates as to where Star stands in the middle-east and India?
Civil Aviation has a "Need for Speed"!

EddieDude

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 2):
a case of a journalist not realising what they're saying because they don't totally understand the subject area.

Starting with the name of AA's Chairman and CEO, Tom Horton.

In my opinion, EY will not join an alliance and if it joins one, it will not be oneworld.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

dtw2hyd

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Did they talk to AAB before extending this invitation?
All posts are just opinions.

DexSwart

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 pm

EK also has very strong coverage in India, and with QF already in OW I would've thought EK was at least being considered?
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

JAL

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 pm

With Royal Jordanian already a member and Qatar joining soon why would Etihad join OneWorld?
Work Hard But Play Harder

Gr8Circle

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Considering the likes of EY and EK are having such a tough time figuring out which alliance to join, and keeping in mind their individual strengths, is it possible that one of them might start an alliance of it's own? A fourth alliance....? Why do they have to join one of the existing....? I think EY could easily do that......

Just making the suggestion, don't flame me.....  

EddieDude

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:01 am

Quoting Gr8circle (Reply 13):

Considering the likes of EY and EK are having such a tough time figuring out which alliance to join

I do not believe EK is having a tough time figuring out which alliance to join. EK has clearly stated once and again it is not going to join an alliance. Furthermore, even if EK wanted, I do not believe any alliance would want them, considering how much several airlines that are alliance members despise them.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

staralliance85

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:23 am

I highly doubt that EY is considering joining OW. With QR as a future member, it does not make sense to be partners with them. Plus, they will not wand to be in the same alliance as QF, because of the QF-EK Codeshare agreement for the a kangaroo route. EY would be dumb to get into bed with two major competitors. EY is coziying up to ST with their partnership with AF/KL and they are making their subsidy AB cater more to AF/KL. I wouldn't be surprised if EY makes AB drop out of OW. With EY/9W partnership there are rumors from previous blogs that 9W might move from BRU to AMS so they can partner up with KL.
brad Fitzpatrick

DexSwart

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:29 am

Quoting staralliance85 (Reply 15):
because of the QF-EK Codeshare agreement for the a kangaroo route

Actually, EY and VA have a similar code share agreement. Although not as extensive or as well rounded as the EK - QF alliance. That being said, I have trouble seeing any one of the big ME carriers putting that little indigo sticker on, regardless of the future enlistment of QR.
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:36 am

Any updates as to where Star stands in the middle-east and India?

OW is considering IndiGo in India. BA and QR both stated they want IndiGo.

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 11):
EK also has very strong coverage in India

With Jet Airways deal Eithad became unofficial national carrier of India. Unless EK gets similar deal with another Indian carrier or more seat allotment EK cannot compete with EY/9W.
All posts are just opinions.

IrishAyes

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:26 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if EY makes AB drop out of OW.

People keep making this comment, but I really don't think that it is all that necessary. EY doesn't have to "make" anyone do anything....AB can continue to stay involved with OneWorld and reap the benefits from that membership, while also playing with non-OW/SkyTeam-members as EY is doing without major repercussion.

OW is a pretty loosely-integrated alliance. AB has already made some noticeable gains from a revenue perspective ever since joining the alliance. Moreover, membership integration is expensive, and it would be foolish for EY-AB to renege on that without major consideration.

aaexecplat

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:44 pm

I love it. Horton says Etihad has been extended an invitation to join OW, but everyone here is doubting the veracity of the claim....or at least the possibility of EY picking up the invite and running with it...

BlueShamu330s

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Indeed.

Just another thread on a.net in which the true facts are there if people choose to discard their preconceptions, hopes or wishes.

No matter; let's see how the dice fall.....  

Rgds
Flying around India

NatoSCL

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:13 am

This is funny... 2 days ago, I was checking an internal website for employees from Oneworld, and I read an update saying that the news about the Etihad and RAM invitations were dismissed, and that the alliance has not sent any invitations to any airline lately...

Then, today, I read this, and thought "well, I know I read this is just a false rumour"... Checked the news feed on the site I just mentioned, and now it's gone...

I really do not know what to make of it...

By the way, this is my first post =)
Cheers everybody!

RyanairGuru

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:47 am

Quoting blueshamu330s (Reply 3):
Bringing Etihad into the fold will ensure Air Berlin remains a member and by default gives the alliance more presence in India by way of Etihad's links with Jet.

I think you might be onto something, this is almost certainly about India rather than Abu Dhabi. If EY joins they would pick up Jet almost by default.

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 11):
I would've thought EK was at least being considered?

EK aren't interested.

What's more, yesterday Tim Clark emphatically stated that EK has no interest in creating a QF style partnership with any other airline: http://www.businessday.com.au/busine...ent-flyer-fall-20130605-2npb3.html

they will not wand to be in the same alliance as QF, because of the QF-EK Codeshare agreement for the a kangaroo route

Also, EY own a stake of Virgin Australia.

That, of course, does not preclude alliance membership. If we've learned anything from the last 2 years its that alliances, of themselves, are almost meaningless and anyone will do a deal with anything if that's in their own best interest.

Quoting NatoSCL (Reply 21):
Checked the news feed on the site I just mentioned, and now it's gone

Very interesting!

And welcome to Anet  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos