YVRLTN
Topic Author

Aurigny Trislander Replacement?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

I saw in the last Airliner World magazine Aurigny Air Service will begin to look for replacements for their venerable PBN Trislanders, the youngest of which are now over 30 years old.

While not a huge order for any OEM exactly, this is a very unique aircraft which is pretty much synonymous with GR and has never really operated in any numbers or length of time any where else.

I guess I should get down to the CI's next time Im over.

What would a good replacement be? Viking Twotter? 4 more seats than the Trislander and the whole idea was the pistons would be cheaper than turbines, assume this would still be the case, despite being one less of them.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

breiz

RE: Aurigny Trislander Replacement?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Indeed the Viking Twin-Otter should be the main contender. She is 1t or so heavier with 2 to 4 more seats (depending on out-fitting of both ac).
The PZL M28 Skytruck is a real alternative (19 pax, about same weight and performances), but she is barely newer than the Trislander.
Going single, there are the Cessna Caravan and the Pilatus PC-12, but they are smaller (9 pax).

vfw614

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Aurigny has operated Twin Otters in the past and apparently it did not work out very well.

PlymSpotter

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:38 pm

I suspect this will be for second hand aircraft, the cost of new builds would put a lot of pressure on the carrier. They have a good range of options:

DHC 6-300
Do 228-200
Let 410

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

93Sierra

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Maybe the TECNAM aircraft Cape Air is going to use

Aesma

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:07 pm

I was thinking a stretched remotorized Islander could do the trick (same stretch as Trislander without the tail engine) but it would need a pair of 500HP engines, that's where turbines are preferred usually.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TC957

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:25 pm

I recall the main reason why the DH6 wasn't a success last time they used a couple many years ago was the frequent hot engine starts and excess maintenance that resulted. Their main JER-GCI route is only 25 or so miles, normally 12 - 15 mins. It'll be interesting to see which type they do end up selecting.

ukoverlander

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:56 pm

I grew up flying on those Aurigny Trilanders around the Channel Islands. It'll be a sad day to see them go (but my eardrums wont miss them   They could give you some wild rides during the winter with heavy winds whipping in off the Atlantic. They must surely be the smallest tri-engine aircraft flying.

BMED

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:55 pm

I guess the Viking would be the only plane that could replace in terms of capacity and runway abilities. Shame to see the Trislander's depart.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

93Sierra

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Maybe the same replacement that cape air
Is looking at from tecnam

TempestDriver

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 pm

I don't know if scheduled flights in IFR are legally possible in the UK but if they are I would be inclined to suggest the 10-seat Gippsland Aerospace GA10. If a twin is required then the Gippsaero GA18 might fit. Both are turbine powered using the same make and model engine. The GA10 is currently in test flying and the GA18 will fly next year. The Viking Twin Otter would also be viable I imagine, if the other two suggestions are.

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:18 am

Quoting 93Sierra (Reply 9):
Maybe the same replacement that cape air
Is looking at from tecnam

A lot smaller - it depends if they need the size of the Trislander still. I know back in the day they carried freight, newspapers and mail as well as pax.

Quoting TC957 (Reply 6):
I recall the main reason why the DH6 wasn't a success last time they used a couple many years ago was the frequent hot engine starts and excess maintenance that resulted. Their main JER-GCI route is only 25 or so miles, normally 12 - 15 mins. It'll be interesting to see which type they do end up selecting.

This is what I was thinking, and PBN developed the Trislander with three piston engines from the Islander for this very reason. Not only that, but I think it still ended up cheaper than operating turbines too despite the additional engine.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 5):
I was thinking a stretched remotorized Islander could do the trick (same stretch as Trislander without the tail engine) but it would need a pair of 500HP engines, that's where turbines are preferred usually.

There is the Allison (now RR) 250 powered Islander called the Defender.

Quoting ukoverlander (Reply 7):
It'll be a sad day to see them go

Ugly, but a very unique machine, will indeed be sad to see them go.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

sierra3tango

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:54 am

Remember daily commuting between GCI/JER on these and Islanders.

After a couple of weeks asked if I could have the seat next to the pilot & duly did

The minute I got in he said "don't touch anything". But it was great to get a pilots eye view from the (not so) hot seat

Remember you had to be weighed on check in and were duly assigned seats to distribute weight

Is it still like that ?

jrn216

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 am

I believe the Dornier 228 is the main contender to replace the Trislander. Of course it will be sad to see the aircraft eventually disapear from the skies around the C.I., but it has been in service for 30 years so a replacement is required soon.

Given the competition Aurigny now faces from Blue Islands and its ATR42 on flights between Guernsey and Jersey, a more passenger friendly aircraft is perhaps needed more than ever. Having said that, with the prospect of Aurigny taking on jet aircraft to operate the Gatwick route from Guernsey, I now wonder whether the Trislander replacement is the main priority.

[Edited 2013-06-05 23:20:00]

MHG

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:18 am

I´d expect despite the - understandable - reluctance to employ turboprops for the short interisland hops they will finally end up with a 19-seater turboprop.
My guess is they´ll be looking into the DHC-6 or LET-410 (the latter being cheaper on the second hand market)

Possibly they need to look into getting permission (if neccessary) to keep engines running idle during unloading/loading at GCI and fly back to JER immediately after loading/boarding is completed.
This would cut the hot starts by half !
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos