Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANITIX87
Topic Author

"Lie-Flat" Angled For Cruise?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:37 pm

How many airlines (if any) compensate for an aircraft's slightly nose-up attitude at cruise and angle their lie-flat seats slightly??

My biggest pet peeve is flying Business and having to sleep with my head lower than my feet, and I'm curious if any airlines make up for this. In my case. however, I can't fly in rearward-facing seats because I get sick.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

ordbosewr

RE: "Lie-Flat" Angled For Cruise?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Never heard of this happening.

I have heard of compensation for a very rough trip but nothing for a normal trip (which is what this would be IMHO).

chieft

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Why should they compensate? I do not understand the problem.

If the aircraft should fly slightely nose up, you van adjust your seet accordingly, so that your head is along your feet again.
And the angle won't be that steep, that you are not lying flat...

[Edited 2013-06-06 06:51:02]
Aircraft are marginal costs with wings.

jgw787

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 pm

I think ANITIX87 means do any airlines have seats designed to take into account the angle of airplane in the air when he says "compensate"

knoxibus

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:08 pm

As far as I am aware, the seat suppliers, at least for full flat seats, compensate it in line with the angle of flight of the aircraft. I think it amounts to 3° on Airbii (depends on the platform).
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

qf002

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:55 pm

I doubt there are many airlines with fully flats that don't compensate for the angles involved -- they've very well known issues and easy to deal with.

It's not so easy to compensate for anything over than a typical angle of attack though. It would be interesting to see future developments allow passengers to set the angle of their seat to personal preference, or perhaps an automatic levelling system.

aklrno

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm kind of amazed that you can tell when your bed is misaligned by 3 degrees. That is less than the angle your head is raised by a pillow. I've been in a lot of lay flat airline seats and I've never worried about this. Eat a nice meal, insert earplugs, adjust eye mask, sleep.

Polot

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 6):
I'm kind of amazed that you can tell when your bed is misaligned by 3 degrees. That is less than the angle your head is raised by a pillow.

You don't notice that because the rest of your body is parallel to the floor. Don't underestimate how perceptive your body can be.

PC12Fan

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:49 am

Eat a nice meal, insert earplugs, adjust eye mask, sleep.

Good plan. Problem is, everybody isn't you.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

PEK777

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:02 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 8):
Eat a nice meal, insert earplugs, adjust eye mask, sleep.

Eat a nice meal, drink 6 Miller Lites, sleep.   
All joking aside, I have flown UA's lie-flat business seat in both forward and rear facing seats and have not noticed perceived the cruise angle in either configuration. In flight I actually find it easier to sleep 'reclined' rather than flat, maybe the cruise angle is the reason?

goboeing

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:11 am

I'm kind of amazed that you can tell when your bed is misaligned by 3 degrees. That is less than the angle your head is raised by a pillow. I've been in a lot of lay flat airline seats and I've never worried about this. Eat a nice meal, insert earplugs, adjust eye mask, sleep.

I immediately can tell that I'm not on a true flat bed when I recline it all the way down 180 degrees. I usually give it one little click back up from flat to make it level to the horizon and it's just right.

The rear facing seats are great because this is not an issue.

I do all of the things in your last sentence but I do find the deck angle noticeable so I make that just right as well.

macsog6

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:48 am

Am I the only one who thought of the Princess and the Pea?

I know that most aircraft fly with a slight angle, but have honestly never noticed it. I like the rearward facing seats, especially in BA Business Class, but the nose up attitude has just seemed to have any impact.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

RobertS975

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:16 am

All long range flights fly at a significantly more nose high angle of attack early in the flight when they are heavy with fuel when compared to the later stages of the flight when much of the fuel has been consumed. The difference can be as much as 7-9 degrees.

I simply compensate in a lie flat seat by going to completely flat, then raising just the head about six inches or so. That distance, plus the pillow, makes a comfy sleep. Really simple.

VC10er

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Only the lack of storage on a United rear facing seat, it is my clear favorite for comfort. I like looking at the mouth of the engine. I find the length of the seat (which I believe is longer than the CO BF seat) is great as I am tall and when totally stretched out, neither my head or feet touch the wall, last the cushioning in that seat and Global First is less hard than the CO seat and compensates for a lot. All this IMHO!

The idea of adding a "level adjustment" feature would be great, awesome idea.

The way I see it, after 20 years of flying international business, there has been nothing better in air travel than lie-flat seats. If we had to all go back to 1995, we would freak out! Yet in 1995 we all felt those recliners were a huge treat!
I agree some airlines have much better seats, but if I get to lay flat, I can't complain. Also they are much better for your health. I suffered a DVT in my leg many years ago, when I was only 36. I almost died had I not acted as fast as I did. Keeping your legs up, level to your heart allows for much better blood flow and helps prevent clots. So I implore all of you to put your legs up as much as possible. If your in economy E+ is worth the money to stretch your legs.

BTW: I agree with alkrno...but a different order: SOCKS, movie, dinner, 2 sundae's, ear plugs and eyeshades. Bam, I go right into a deep sleep until I hear the engines wind down. If you don't, take a low dose sleeping pill.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

tonystan

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Once you have a pillow under your head it should be enough to address the issue!!!!!!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Yflyer

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm kind of amazed that you can tell when your bed is misaligned by 3 degrees.

I've always been advised when camping to never angle your sleeping bag so that your head is facing downhill, as sleeping at that angle, even a few degrees, causes increased blood flow to your head which will make it nearly impossible to fall asleep. You might not be able to precieve it on an airplane since you're still paralleI to the floor, but gravity still works the same way so I assume the same thing happens on an airplane. Most people probably just assume when they didn't sleep well on a plane that it was due to not being in their own bed, or to stress, or some other reason, but I would guess sleeping with your head angled downward could be a contributing factor.

RobertS975

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Biz jet owners know full well to convert their seats into beds with the head on the forward direction because of the pronounced nose high deck angle for the first half of any long distance flight.