Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

virtual
Topic Author

CFM And IAE Engines On Vueling's New Sharklet A320

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 pm

I've seen photos of new-build Vueling A320s with Sharklets, and they seem to be taking a mix of CFM and IAE powered aircraft.

I realise that some carriers operate different Airbus narrowbody aircraft with different engine types (Lufthansa have IAE on A321 but CFM on A319/A320, and Monarch have IAE on A321 but CFM on A320) - but isn't it quite unusual for an airline to take deliveries of new A320s with different engine types at the same time?

r2rho

RE: CFM And IAE Engines On Vueling's New Sharklet A320

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:09 pm

I was a bit surprised as well to see an IAE sharklet A/C the last time I was at BCN. According to airfleets all the IAE planes are leased, mainly from ILFC and BOC. In particular, the latest aircraft they have been getting this year with sharklets and IAE's are leases. But they are also getting CFM's this year so it's not a departure from that either.
I'm a bit surprised about this strategy as IB is all-CFM and VY's fleet is not large enough for the economies of scale to support a dual-engine strategy like LH or soon AA.

aerokiwi

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 pm

I noticed this in April as well. But with IAG with its mix of CFM (IB) and IAEs (BA) taking over Vueling, combined with the fact the IAEs are leased and engine financing is more complex now than ever with after sales support/power by the hour etc, it may not be such a big deal in terms of commonality.

r2rho

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 2):
with the fact the IAEs are leased and engine financing is more complex now than ever with after sales support/power by the hour etc, it may not be such a big deal in terms of commonality.

You're right, and that is probably the case here. VY likely doesn't care what the engine is because they either have a power-by-the-hour deal with IAE or similar deal with the lessor. It is still odd though as AFAIK up to now IB performs the maintenance on their CFM's.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos