LAXintl
Topic Author

New LAX Intl Terminal Open House - 22June

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:01 am

The public is invited to get preview of the new Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX on June 22nd.

90-minute public tours will be available between 9am and 6pm, along with various public displays, media experiences and performance entertainment.

For security reasons, all participants must register ahead of time and obtain their boarding passes on a first come, first serve basis at the below link.

http://www.laxappreciationday.com/

Enjoy !

=

[Edited 2013-06-05 21:10:53]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

B747forever

RE: New LAX Intl Terminal Open House - 22June

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 am

What kind of tour will this actually be?
Work Hard, Fly Right

Byrdluvs747

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:56 am

I wonder if the TBIT lounges will be part of the tour.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

B747forever

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 2):

Doesn't say what parts we will see. Will we go post security?

Anyway, I signed up and have confirmed tickets.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 1):
What kind of tour will this actually be?

Walking tour including new great hall area and new gates

Quoting B747forever (Reply 3):
Will we go post security?

Yes

ldvaviation

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 2):

I doubt it. The oneworld lounge will not be completed until Star vacates its current space. That space, as well as the current space for the oneworld lounge, will be integrated into the new lounge.

However, if you just want a glimpse of the space, go to the exhibition on Fentress' work at the Museum of Flying (Santa Monica). There is a large model of the new TBIT, large enough to peer into. The oneworld lounge spans the entire backside of the core, from lightwell to lightwell.

There will be a really cool "sculpture" that will be suspended in the north lightwell. Go to the website of the artists (Ball-Nogues) for a preview. The oneworld lounge will wrap around the north lightwell and have a very exclusive view of the sculpture.

mrskyguy

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I'm getting a server error when I attempt to click for registration..
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

Viscount724

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
For security reasons, all participants must register ahead of time and obtain their boarding passes on a first come, first serve basis at the below link.

http://www.laxappreciationday.com/

The site doesn't work.

mrskyguy

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:26 pm

LAXIntl, can you pass the word along? Hate to see attendance compromised by a technical error.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

questions

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Will there be a Sky Team lounge in the new terminal? If so, how will it compare to the other lounges in the terminal?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Links seems OK.

Just clicked on it 3 times.

Quoting questions (Reply 9):
Will there be a Sky Team lounge in the new terminal? If so, how will it compare to the other lounges in the terminal?

The new terminal will have 6 lounges.

Oneworld and Star are getting mega lounges while Skyteam and Emirates will have smaller ones (about 1/4 of the size). A 5th shared use lounge will be managed by a private vendor, while space for a small 6th lounge is being held in reserve by LAWA.

ldvaviation

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 9):

Here is how it compares:

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...y%202011%20Newsletter%20Insert.pdf

(If the link doesn't work, just copy and paste.)

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:06 am

A little update for every one.

The event is quickly filling up. Only remaining tour spots are 0900, 1500 and 1630.

MakeMinesLAX

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:27 am

LAXintl, thanks for the heads-up. Got my 9am "boarding pass".

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Hello all.

Even with LAWA squeezing in an additional session, the event is now sold out.

I hope everyone enjoys the peak, and feel free to post your impressions here.

alphazulu
Screener

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm

I went to the link above for tickets and all tours are still available.
So if you are planning to go sign up fast.

Paul

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:08 am

Yes due to overwhelming demand, LAWA has made a few hundred more spaces available.

Essentially overbooking.

Please however only request the actual number of tickets which you intend to use.

CaliAtenza

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:56 am

What will the tour consist of? I wonder if its worth making the hour and half drive down to LAX....

Alitalia744

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:32 am

Thanks LAXIntl!

Signed up for two tickets, but only gave option to enter one name. Hope all works.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

Timaay419

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Here's a shot of the new TBIT departures level canopy and street lamps. The Tom Bradley International signage and use of LED lighting really give this terminal entrance a fresh face.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Today is media preview day of modernized TBIT.

We should start seeing stories and pictures published shortly.

p.s. - here is the media link with stock photos/video roll and fact sheets -- http://tbitmedia.com/

[Edited 2013-06-20 10:06:43]

lightsaber

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:33 pm

AAAaagh...

Sold out!  

I thank you for the heads up, but I didn't notice this thread in time.   You certainly posted the information in a timely manner.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ldvaviation

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Video clips of two interior elements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2bE3...view&list=UUisGuhUgfhyRrbdcMH0fRvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kqMIedt04

About the sculpture, it was "moved" to the north light well. The artists will be at the preview. Their sculpture won't appear until July.

aaway

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:07 am

Though the TBIT preview is sold out, it may be of some interest to a.netters that LAWA does offer a once a month LAX Airfield tour program. The tours occur every first Thursday of the month. One hour in duration - 9AM to 10AM - originating from the Flight Path Museum (or, Imperial Terminal).

Disclaimer: The program is geared for groups, or 'organizations', and limited to 30 persons per tour. For more info contact LAWA Community Relations [email protected]
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:23 pm

A photo gallery from yesterdays press event.
http://photos.dailybreeze.com/2013/0...m-bradley-terminal-at-lax-preview/

Video regarding how media experiences and architectural design are melded into creating passenger experience in the terminal.
http://vimeo.com/68789136

=

travelin man

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Those video installations that they created look like they'll be amazing....

travelin man

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 am

Curbed LA with a bunch of good shots from the media day preview today:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...ey_international_terminal.php#more

It looks pretty amazing, and 1000% better than today (of course, that is setting a low bar....)

SurfandSnow

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:31 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 24):
Quoting travelin man (Reply 26):

Surely someone must have been real jet lagged when they left East Asia, mistaking their pictures from HKG or ICN with LAX? Having been subjected to every single abysmal LAX terminal within the past few years, including TBIT back in 2007, this is an unthinkable feat for LAX. Am I really supposed to think that the U.S. now has an airport facility on par with, perhaps even better than, the best in the world? I thought the likes of DTW (McNamara), DFW (Terminal D), LAS (Terminal 3), and JFK (Terminal 8) were impressive feats for our country to be proud of, but I think this may be the first time we really have a truly world class facility. Congratulations Los Angeles, you have exceeded expectations and raised the bar for American airports. Now, if only those other 8 terminals of yours could be even half as nice as this one...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

wanderlustlax

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:59 pm

I participated in the event today and all I can say is: WOW! They really have finally brought 21st Century infrastructure to Los Angeles!

The new terminal really is a sight to behold. Every detail from the digital artwork and interactive displays to the shops and restaurants to the boarding bridges to the bathrooms to the seating. It's all astounding. As others have mentioned here, the big issue is now it really makes the other 8 terminals feel extremely sad and out of touch. I know there are plans to modernize some of them but I've always thought--and think now more than ever--the only real difference (to rival TBIT) is going to be knockdown/rebuilds.

For those of you who wanted a glimpse of what we saw today, I've uploaded some pics and videos for you to peruse here:
http://wanderlustlax.smugmug.com/Air...X-Appreciation-Day/30130233_nRhN8M

Sorry, no time to edit any of the photos -- figured y'all would rather see them faster rather than perfect. Hope you all enjoy!

ldvaviation

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:59 am

It is a good building. It is not a great building.

The concourses are magnificent. Each section seems to cascade into each other and create quite a visual spectacle of lines and curves. The decorative motifs also work best at this scale, with the beams or ribs of the building at just the right proportion that they do not look loopy or purely decorative.

On the other hand, the great hall is a mess. It only reads well in only one direction, laterally from south to north. And, even from here, the building is out of human scale and the architecture provides no framing elements to bring it back into scale.

It is also in the great hall that the decorative motifs become unresolved. This is most noticeable on the east face of the building. There is just not enough detail where post meets beam to delineate the edges of the ceiling, something that is almost unforgivable in an all white interior.

Two more issues: From the second level restaurant deck, the sight lines into and out of the building are tragic. The view out to the tarmac is blocked by the row of shops below and the view across is smothered by a ceiling that reads like a horizontal white mass.

If the circulation patterns of the preview crowd are any indication, Star Alliance is not going to like the location of its lounge. The balcony on the 6th level provides the best views of the clock tower and story board. If people choose to congregate here en masse that will diminish some of the exclusivity that a premium lounge is supposed to have. I wondered why oneworld did not opt for the space that Star ending up taking. It seemed like the better space with a terrace and outdoor deck. This may be the reason.

I'll admit that the clock tower and story board are pretty dazzling. Hard to imagine the great hall being very effective without them.

zrs70

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:31 am

I was there as well today. What a great improvement. Use of glass and computer technology (from an artistic point of view) is extraordinary!
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:44 am

Quoting surfandsnow (Reply 27):
Congratulations Los Angeles, you have exceeded expectations and raised the bar for American airports.

Well this is what $1.9Bil buys you.

Whether its a valid investment, personally I don't think so. But hey, I am glad people like it. Now its up to the airlines, and consumers to pay for it.

Quoting surfandsnow (Reply 27):
Now, if only those other 8 terminals of yours could be even half as nice as this one...

LAWA can only shepard projects along so much. Its really up to major tenants to participate as they will end up with the bill at the end.

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 29):
I wondered why oneworld did not opt for the space that Star ending up taking. It seemed like the better space with a terrace and outdoor deck. This may be the reason.

The outdoor patio for the Star lounge was an afterthought and requested by Star itself not something LAWA had in mind from the git go.

lightsaber

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:56 am

I missed getting tickets in time, but the local news did a good job showing the new terminal. It really looked good! (Made my barber visit that little bit more fun!)

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 31):
Whether its a valid investment, personally I don't think so. But hey, I am glad people like it. Now its up to the airlines, and consumers to pay for it.

I'm glad they improved it. Too much money? Probably.

Doing a little web surfing, capacity goes up from 2,800 to 4,500 pax/hour. Assuming a 14 hour standard airport day, that's roughly a growth of 8.5 mil pax/year. Or $230 when normalized to the annual passengers added. So... the fees will be high. LAX/Airlines had better hope the retail is a hit.   Or else run the terminal at a higher passenger rate.    For that is quite a bit of debt to service for the small (by LAX standards) quantity of additional passengers. Oh, the space was needed, I'm talking entirely about the high cost per passenger...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

wanderlustlax

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:07 am

Just realized the videos didn't upload properly on the URL I posted above. They are all up now.

flyinggoat

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:22 am

I made it out for the 3:00pm tour. The new terminal is very nice, although the architecture didn't really blow me away (I actually liked the architecture of the new RDU terminal better). The story board and 72' tall clock tower were amazing and were the highlights for me. I loved when the clock tower turned into a multi-story building with the comedy routine shown. I'm sure the space will be even more impressive once all the art is installed.

Most of the shops were located in the center, which gave space for more windows and views. The downside to this is that the shop "roofs" are visible from the lounge areas above. There was nice seating throughout, and some nice views of the Qantas and Singapore Airlines A380s that were parked at the gates.

It took me about an hour to notice the large departure/arrivals screen across from the story board.    I hope this info will be displayed elsewhere (I'm sure it will be).

The restrooms were nice, and I really liked the shelves above the urinals. I found the lack of automatic soap dispensers a bit odd, especially since everything else was automatic. It was nice to see both paper towels and Dyson driers available.

I noticed some nice displays by LAN, Air France, Qantas, Korean Air, China Southern, and Singapore Airlines. KE was giving away a trip to Seoul aboard the A380. KE and a couple other airlines entertained with some traditional dances. Other raffle prizes were given away as well, although I was never around to see what the prizes were. Fentress Architects were on hand to answer questions, and displayed a scale model of the airport and design proposals (including a new terminal above parking garages 3 and 4, new domestic concourse mid-field, and a walkway high enough for aircraft to pass under).

Overall, it's a fantastic terminal, and I look forward to using it.

christao17

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:24 am

Quoting wanderlustlax (Reply 33):
Just realized the videos didn't upload properly on the URL I posted above. They are all up now.

Thanks for sharing these so quickly. Sure is a nice looking terminal and a vast improvement from what was there before. Now, I will no longer dread flying out of LAX on BR and TG!
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Don't get too excited yet.

The great hall core wont open till August/September'ish while all the terminal gates wont be complete till late 2015.

They still need to bulldoze the current TBIT concourses and build out the east side of the new terminal.

ldvaviation

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 31):
The outdoor patio for the Star lounge was an afterthought and requested by Star itself not something LAWA had in mind from the git go.

That was a good idea.

As for the rest of the space, it is not as good as I first thought. Contrary to the diagram I posted above, the space is split into two sections by the passageway that is in the diagram, but blued out.

Furthermore, the balcony space is not set far enough back to create enough privacy from the restaurant deck below. The comparison here would be to the Wing in Hong Kong, which is appropriately placed far above the terminal floor. The Star balcony is also visible from the exit of the elevator and passageway. Again, if non-members choose to congregate in that passageway, the sight lines will diminish the sense of privacy.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 37):
the space is split into two sections by the passageway that is in the diagram, but blued out.

I believe the split you are referring to is the smaller (~40 person) First Class section, and the larger Business/Gold section.

All told it the interior will seat about 430 guest at a time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos