Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

NZ Announces Two New Livery's

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:59 am

The current black silver fern (minus the rugby markings) will become one of two official NZ liverys. Roll out of the new liverys will begin later this year!

Photos are on NZ's facebook page

www.facebook.com/AirNewZealand

I really like the livery's as IMHO its very New Zealand with the Silver Fern, but two new livery's?
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

xiaotung

RE: NZ Announces Two New Livery's

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:19 am

Are they really think of themselves as a sports team where you have home and away jerseys?

N766UA

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:24 am

Cool! I was sad when ANZ got rid of their "swoosh," then went to straight black and white. It's good to see they're actually adding something to their livery, though I guess there wasn't much left to subtract!

ZKOJH

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 am

The second one is that "The Hobbit" on the 772 for the second film to release this year?
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

qf002

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:47 am

AusBT also has an article here.

I much prefer the black livery to their current one (looks absolutely sensational) though I'm not entirely convinced by the new standard white one. Something just doesn't feel right about having the big block of black, the big fernmark and then the big koru on the tail -- too much is happening and it feels awkward to me when combined together.

That said, it's a major improvement over the sparse livery they revealed last year!

kiwiinoz

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 am

Looks good, particularly the black one. Somehow on the black&white one, the combination of the fern and koru looks a little cluttered

Very distinctive and very kiwi. So I guess the teal colour is gone forever

zkojq

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:12 am

And I thought the current one (Black Tail, no Pacific Wave) looked bad....

The 1/3 black, 2/3 white one looks terrible - an absolute eyesore. What were the designers thinking? At least the titles/font looks alright.

The fully black one is marginal - though current liveries on ZK-OAB, ZK-OJR and ZK-OKQ (as well as some of the regionals) look far, far better. Why go backwards? I hate this new silver fern, it just doesn't look right. The one (well two actually; one white and one silver) on the current 'all black' and 'crazy about rugby' planes looks a lot more sophisticated and intricate.

Yet again I am dismayed at the continual melding together of our culture and sports teams. New Zealand is the land of the long white cloud (white fuselage) surrounded by the sea (Teal tail). Rugby is the national sport, however this doesn't mean that it somehow represents our whole culture. Removing the Teal is painting over 70+ years of Air New Zealand history. I have nothing against having a few aircraft in special liveries to celebrate certain sporting victories, but don't paint all of the planes to look like All Black's jerseys. Similarly I would object to painting all the aircraft in a Lord Of The Rings livery. A few planes in a special scheme is fine but its cheesy when you overdo it.

When the black tails were announced last year, I quietly asked lots of the Air New Zealanders I know what they thought of it. Opinions of it ranged from nonchalance to hating it, interestingly noone actually liked it. I wonder if this one will be any different. Overall I think that the Pacific Wave livery looks best - it was designed in 1996 and yet still looks modern today. It should never have been changed.

Also, kudos to whoever it was on the New Zealand Aviation thread who hinted about a Silver Fern.

Quoting 777ER (Thread starter):
but two new livery's?

Well there are already quite a few;

Teal Tail and Pacific Wave:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexander Arildsson

Teal Tail without Pacific Wave:

View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani

Black Tail without Pacific Wave:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Naas

Crazy About Rugby:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark H

All Black (like Crazy About Rugby but with a larger Koru and no Rugby related titles):

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Cunliffe - ReaperPhotography

and some special liveries also:
The Hobbit:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Morris Biondi

Star Alliance:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Allen Zhao

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 1):
Are they really think of themselves as a sports team where you have home and away jerseys?

They might as well add some sponsor's logos as well. The AIG and Addidas logos would fit right in.  
Quoting qf002 (Reply 4):
Something just doesn't feel right about having the big block of black, the big fernmark and then the big koru on the tail -- too much is happening and it feels awkward to me when combined together.

The transition between the two is horrible. Looks like they ran out of paint.
First to fly the 787-9

aerokiwi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:14 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 4):
Something just doesn't feel right about having the big block of black, the big fernmark and then the big koru on the tail -- too much is happening and it feels awkward to me when combined together.

I agree. And isn't the "fern mark" a logo for a number of government agencies? I think this might be pushing the NZ Inc thing a little far.

BUT, if we have to have a fern, why not use the fern itself to delineate between the black and the white (silver?) fuselage? So the black fronds overlay the white fuselage and the white fronds overlay the black. that would'v been far more sophisticated and added some design flare. As it stands it looks like it was just slapped on.

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 5):
So I guess the teal colour is gone forever

Sadly, it appears so. I expect a reversion to it in 5-6 years when some new CEO comes in and we've all tired of the endless black gloom.

aerorobnz

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 am

I don't identify with black as the colour of NZ at all.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NZ107

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:19 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 6):
I hate this new silver fern, it just doesn't look right. The one (well two actually; one white and one silver) on the current 'all black' and 'crazy about rugby' planes looks a lot more sophisticated and intricate.

So do I, but it seems to have more relevance with the Tourism New Zealand fern than the All Blacks.. Not that anyone outside NZ will figure that one out/notice much of a difference. I think they were probably better off just making the All Blacks livery standard and dropping the "crazy about rugby" motto.

This article shows that it's a partnership with Tourism NZ: http://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zeal...=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper

If they painted the white one with a silver body, it might have a better look to it.

And, of course, RIP Teal.

[Edited 2013-06-10 21:46:37]
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

kiwiinoz

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:39 am

Well, there is no specific reference to any sporting team, although I agree black is generally identified with NZ sport.

Could just as easily be the Silver Ferns, (netball team).

Palmyboy12

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:48 am

Check this out - turns out Tourism New Zealand (official tourism agency of NZ) signed an agreement with Air New Zealand (worth NZ$20 million) for them to, among other things, promote travel and tourism here and use the trademarked "New Zealand Fern Mark", a standard logo generally used by Tourism New Zealand and New Zealand Trade & Enterprise to promote this country to the outside world. Careful observers may also notice the logo on NZ-made products or other things like International Expo kiosks officially endorsed by these groups.

http://www.tourismnewzealand.com/tou...r-into-new-20-million-partnership/

It's better, I guess, compared to the now "experimental" black tail white body livery, or even the stripped down teal, but I really miss the subtle elegance of the Pacific Wave or the proud, patriotic but still classy and understated All Black livery (one of the most beautiful by far). That one at least made an effort to incorporate the fern well, while this just seems like a $2 shop one was tacked on. And why the heck do they even need two liveries???
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

aerorobnz

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 am

Quoting Palmyboy12 (Reply 11):
And why the heck do they even need two liveries???

One for all Y shorthaul, one for longhaul?? 
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

CX Flyboy

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 am

I really like both variations. The real was outdated and uninspiring. These new schemes look modern and contemporary. It would make the planes stand out in a crowd a little more and portrays the modern image that the airline wants.

pilotdude09

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:58 am

I like it and lets all be honest it's about gaining recognition of NZ. It amazes me how many Americans have no idea where NZ is and think it's part of Australia or it's in Europe some where!

The All Blacks livery is nice however once again how many people other than Rugby country's know who the All Blacks are?? Can only imagine what they are thinking when they see All Blacks plastered on the side of an aircraft.....especially some of our simpler friends  

It's a nice change and moves NZ into the future. Teal is not a colour that associates with Modern, Clean and Fresh so I like the black.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

MillwallSean

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:00 am

Great another livery that appeals to the segment of people that drive Holden-Ford, loves rugby, hates public transport and cant wait for their next bbq and beer. Middle aged, mostly whites and they listen to talkradio and agrees with the pundits there. You know, the laugh at the Mad Butcher, kind of lads.
Hmm I believe thats the only market segment loyal to NZ as it is.

For the rest of us, this livery is a step backwards and I wonder what focus groups that were used.
Well I shouldnt whine I stopped (corporate and private) flying NZ ages ago and havent looked back since.

I have however started to give a fair bit of business to QF, which surprises even me. Somehow they have underpromised and overdelievered everytime ive been handing them my business. I am shocked because for me its been an Asian airlines only policy for many years.
Somehow QF have a pretty good setup and their travelmanager for this part of the world has been pretty offensive lately. Had they been Star Aliiance...
And they dont paint their planes gold and green and add a boxing kangaroo to their logo...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

mariner

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:14 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 15):
Great another livery that appeals to the segment of people that drive Holden-Ford, loves rugby, hates public transport and cant wait for their next bbq and beer. Middle aged, mostly whites and they listen to talkradio and agrees with the pundits there. You know, the laugh at the Mad Butcher, kind of lads.

Given Air NZ's excellent profits and profit projections, remarkably loyal.

Within my experience, and with some rare exemptions, the travelling public doesn't generally give two hoots about the livery on an aircraft.

mariner
aeternum nauta

zkojq

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 9):
I think they were probably better off just making the All Blacks livery standard and dropping the "crazy about rugby" motto.

That would both look more appealing and save paying some 'brand consultants' vast sums of money.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I always thought these were the most price sensitive customers and therefore would most likely be flying with Jetstar.
First to fly the 787-9

Zkpilot

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:02 am

I think it looks great.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

Gasman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 am

Brilliantly put.

For the rest of us, this livery is a step backwards

Indeed. I will miss the teal. And really, where is the talent in this design? You could give me a paintbrush and in 1000 years I wouldn't come up with anything as stylish and classy as the 1970's DC-10 livery, or even the more recent Pacific wave. This new abomination looks like it was the winner of some primary school competition.

Well I shouldnt whine I stopped (corporate and private) flying NZ ages ago and havent looked back since.

As did I. Going 10 abreast on 77W was the last in a long line of irritations, and from that point on my loyalty was ditched. Now it's SQ to Europe, EK or QF to Australia, and still NZ to USA.

EK413

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:52 am

I love it! Well done NZ!

Check out our new aircraft livery which features the iconic official New Zealand Fern Mark. This new look will be progressively rolled out from later this year.

Check out our new aircraft livery which features the iconic official New Zealand Fern Mark. This new look will be progressively rolled out from later this year.

https://www.facebook.com/AirNewZealand

EK8413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

afterburner33

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 am

I like it.

It seems to me that, like it or not, the teal is gone. So the question is would you prefer the previous 'white with black tail' colours, or these new ones?

If you were to ask me what colour I associate most with New Zealand, my answer would be black, and I would have thought that most others would answer the same. So I'm not surprised at the change. I will be honest and say that I'd never heard the 'long white cloud and teal sea' story about the previous livery. I also wonder how much this new livery has to do with the mostly positive reaction to the 'All Black' planes that they currently have.

Having said that, a retrojet in the previous 70s-80s livery would be pretty cool. Probably no chance of that though.

Surprisingly, no one has raised the big issue yet - no black 787 engine cowlings! BA proved it were possible, but I guess that was a step too far for NZ!

DexSwart

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 am

Well, apparently, I'm once again in the margins when I say that I like the livery.

Just as the new AA live is growing on more people, I'm sure this one will too.

Also, the 77Ws will look stunning in the "All Black" livery  
The interiors already match the scheme, and as a rugby obsessed South African-(and now) Australian, I've got to say that I connect black and ferns with New Zealand as a whole.
The font is nice, and I really liked its readability on the A320 that was recently delivered.

I showed my Kiwi friend the livery and she said "They won't allow it. If they paint a plane black, you won't be able to see it at night!"

Well...
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

smi0006

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 am

I love the design, I hate the black and white.

As mentioned above, when I think of New Zealand I think of amazing natural beauty, in shades of blue, and green. From forests to glaciers. Black is so cold and sterile, and nothing makes me link it to New Zealand or Air New Zealand, except maybe in the uniforms and A320 cabins. Where is this black coming from?

Speaking of cabins the 772 could do with a refurb, seat covers and carpets. Anything in the works?

CX Flyboy

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:31 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 23):
As mentioned above, when I think of New Zealand I think of amazing natural beauty, in shades of blue, and green. From forests to glaciers. Black is so cold and sterile,

Blue and green is so common that for me anyway airline schemes are not that interesting in them....blue especially. Black on the other hand is pretty modern. Some people like cool and don't necessarily equate it with being sterile at all. There is a reason why people say that such and such colour is the new black. Why always reference it to black? Because black is that classy colour linked to night gowns and looking modern and hip. Not everyone wants to look colourful like a clown.

TaniTaniwha

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:37 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 8):

I don't identify with black as the colour of NZ at all.

Surely you're joking!

I love it (both) and agree with those that say it identifies with NZ and is nice and contemporary. As with all livery changes, there are those that don't like change, etc. - witness the recent American livery update/change.

Well done Air New Zealand. I was starting to think that the recent plain white fuselage with the black tail/white Koru was going to be it.

Call me a one relieved patriotic Kiwi (and definitely not a Holden driving Bogan, although I do like BBQ's and Beer!)

[Edited 2013-06-11 00:42:39]

[Edited 2013-06-11 01:10:58]
[photoid][/photoid][photoid][/photoid]

zkncj

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:45 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 23):
Speaking of cabins the 772 could do with a refurb, seat covers and carpets. Anything in the works?

Yup - full refit from later on this year, they are the launch customer for Panasonic eXLite IFE system the 772, and to go with the new IFE they are being converted to 3-4-3 in Y.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am

they dont paint their planes gold and green and add a boxing kangaroo to their logo...

Ssshhh... don't give them any ideas!!!  
Great another livery that appeals to the segment of people that drive Holden-Ford, loves rugby, hates public transport and cant wait for their next bbq and beer. Middle aged, mostly whites

I was struggling to find a word that encapsulated this livery, and then you gave it to me: bogan.

This livery will appeal to ra-ra beer swilling XR6/HSV drivers and tabloid readers who like a bit a thinly veiled nationalism.

Way to go NZ, keeping it classy - although "class" left NZ some time ago
Worked Hard, Flew Right

GIANCAVIA

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:01 am

Confused.. These 2 liveries will be the official airline livery? I thought they were going with that awful bland black tail and all white plane look.

If they are using these 2 liveries then I am finally impressed with a new livery, They look pretty fantastic with that Fern down the back.

Well done.. Thumbs up!

Gasman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:04 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 27):

I was struggling to find a word that encapsulated this livery, and then you gave it to me: bogan

Thinking back, it started with a progressively juvenile marketing image, which before long crept into the hard and soft product. The rest (Y+on 772, Ricco, 10 abreast on 77W, progressive downgrading of airpoints) is, as they say, history.

afterburner33

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:12 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 26):
Yup - full refit from later on this year, they are the launch customer for Panasonic eXLite IFE system the 772, and to go with the new IFE they are being converted to 3-4-3 in Y.

They giveth and they taketh away!

I am in no way a massive rugby fan - I have a passing interest, but don't go out of my way to watch it. But I still consider black to be the 'national' colour. And it's not just rugby - almost all of our sports teams use it and most of the suggestions for a new New Zealand flag also include it. To be honest, I'm mildly surprised that it's taken until recently for NZ to switch to a black based colour scheme. I had always wondered why they didn't do it years ago.

What I'm interested in is how they're going to distribute the two. Is it going to be half and half of the fleet? Or is it going to be mainly the white based livery with the predominantly black one used on only a small number of aircraft?

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 am

The all black is too much black, this is our national airline, not a flying advertisment for the NZRFU! The half n' half looks awesome.

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 10):
Could just as easily be the Silver Ferns, (netball team).

or the

Tall Blacks (Basketball)
Black Sticks (Field Hockey)
Black Caps (Cricket)
Black Socks (Softball)
Black Fins (Surf Life Saving)
Black Ferns (womens rugby)
Black Cocks (believe it or not but that's what the NZ badmington team called themselves for a short time)
Ice Blacks (Ice Hockey)
Wheel Blacks (Wheelchair Rugby)
Black Singlets (NZ Sheep Shearing Team, our most dominant sports team winning 10 out of 13 world championships)

bit of a black theme going on here, black should stay in the sporting world, I dislike how black is becoming our national colour.

Quoting afterburner33 (Reply 21):
Having said that, a retrojet in the previous 70s-80s livery would be pretty cool

Not one of the old NZ liveries, but go way back and do a TEAL livery.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/aerofotoworld/FS/air-nz-teal-66.jpg

RyanairGuru

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:43 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 29):
it started with a progressively juvenile marketing image

That's what I thought as well, the commercials and then the safety demonstrations were the beginning of the end.

I liked the "Bare Essentials" as it was very original at the time, but since then NZ has overplayed the "humorous" card, meaning its now anything but original. By the time they got to "Fit to Fly"...

Also the current uniforms don't do it for me, I'm not hugely keen on the pink, but it's not that... it's just they don't have any sophistication IMHO

I sometimes get the impression that NZ are trying to be Virgin Blue (not even VA) and failing very miserably, DJ could pull off "light fun" as they were an upstart LCC. I'm not sure the look works so well for a full service carrier. Just my 2c
Worked Hard, Flew Right

NZ6

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:13 am

So the traditionalists won't like it, black is the colour for New Zealand, its the color most visitors attribute as our national color anyway, even the tourism website is black. Even if its not is Australia color red? (qantas) as an example...

In summary some will like it some will hate it. In my mind it beats white white white. Maybe the fern will get smaller over time

mariner

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 am

I was struggling to find a word that encapsulated this livery, and then you gave it to me: bogan.

As they might say in America - bogan dollars are still green.

I've never thought of New Zealand as being a particularly "class conscious" society, nor Air New Zealand.

Even back inn the glory days of First Class transpac - the 1980's - Air NZ was always considerably less snooty than its competitors.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 32):
I sometimes get the impression that NZ are trying to be Virgin Blue (not even VA) and failing very miserably, DJ could pull off "light fun" as they were an upstart LCC.

I don't see it as Virgin Blue, although I see nothing wrong with that if it is. But how is it "failing miserably"? The profits suggest it is working just fine.

mariner

[Edited 2013-06-11 02:17:48]
aeternum nauta

777way

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 31):
The all black is too much black, this is our national airline, not a flying advertisment for the NZRFU! The half n' half looks awesome.

Agree, its seems like some over zealous type convinced management to make that special black livery a standard just because it looked good as a special scheme, too much of it is going to be too much and it will lose its specialness.

The Chinese carriers have some amazing special liveries but certain types cannot be made standard just because they are stunning.

Quoting mariner (Reply 34):
I've never thought of New Zealand as being a particularly "class conscious" society, nor Air New Zealand.
Air NZ was always considerably less snooty than its competitors.

Dosent classy refer to sophisticated/dignified, and timeless in style?

Gasman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:45 am

Even back inn the glory days of First Class transpac - the 1980's - Air NZ was always considerably less snooty than its competitors.

"Snooty", "Class conscious" and "Classy" are not synonymous terms. By lamenting the loss of "class" from NZ, RyanAirGuru and myself use the word class to mean quality, dignity, professionalism, refinement etc. In my world all those things are still attributes to aspire to.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 32):
That's what I thought as well, the commercials and then the safety demonstrations were the beginning of the end

mariner

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 35):
Dosent classy refer to sophisticated/dignified, and timeless in style?

Mayhap. I've never thought of New Zealand as sophisticated and "timeless" is a fairly meaningless value judgement in regard to this country.

Dignified? See below.

Quoting gasman (Reply 36):
By lamenting the loss of "class" from NZ, RyanAirGuru and myself use the word class to mean quality, dignity, professionalism, refinement etc. In my world all those things are still attributes to aspire to.

It is somewhat alarming if you equate bogan with unprofessional because much of the wealth of Australia depends on bogans, who may not be "refined" but who keep the country running.

Quality and dignity? A shepherd on a hill can surely have dignity.

mariner
aeternum nauta

TheLifehouse

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 am

I wonder if ZK-OXA will get the modified livery before the Paris airshow..

777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 2):
I was sad when ANZ got rid of their "swoosh," then went to straight black and white

That's known as the Pacific Wave.

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 3):
The second one is that "The Hobbit" on the 772 for the second film to release this year?

That Hobbit livery's are special livery's. The current 'crazy about rugby' livery is also a special one. The two designs NZ have released will be the new livery

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 22):
Also, the 77Ws will look stunning in the "All Black" livery

There is already one painted All Black and its looks STUNNING. I was on in on Saturday 8th June to LAX and even when its been used for over a year, passengers were still taking photos of it at LAX.

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 31):
Quoting afterburner33 (Reply 21):Having said that, a retrojet in the previous 70s-80s livery would be pretty coolNot one of the old NZ liveries, but go way back and do a TEAL livery.

That would look amazing! Would love to see it on a B744 but sadly that won't happen now   Maybe a 787?
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789

777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am

Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]

afterburner33

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:36 am

Quote from the article in the link above:

"The majority of the airline's fleet will eventually feature the white version of the new livery and a limited number will feature the distinctive black version of the new design."

Well that answers my question - I guess it makes sense to mostly use the whiter version...

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

Here's the's the Fern Mark

by738

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:44 am

Does black affect the temperature of the aircraft particularly on the ground?

a36001

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 pm

I love it!! And Air New Zealand I think should be applauded for doing something different. I simply love euro white fuselages with big bold tails. Qantas, Thai, Emirates and of course JAL are four airlines that come to mind that do it perfectly. I can't wait to see the B787 in Qantas colours.

Black and White exudes class and sophistication, and with the crew wearing pink touches in their uniforms, it too me gives a bold sleek and modern look, not the liquorice all sought look they could of had if they over done it.

Well done ANZ!  

pa747sp

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm not keen. It looks like they couldn't decide between the fern or the Koru, so went for both. Blue and green have been associated with Air New Zealand since it's creation, so it's sad to see that the link has been severed.
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

nicholasjet

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 pm

It's true what is written here on designair's review of the new livery.... http://thedesignair.net/2013/06/11/a...al-roots-are-alive-in-the-pacific/

"This new design seems to have followed a wave in the Pacific Rim of new liveries, each one showcasing their national roots. O’hana, Fiji Airways, Island Air and American (along with already national Hawaiian Air whose expanding presence could be claimed as a new brand shift in the Pacific) all announced their new liveries in the last 12 months, each with a distinct shift into their cultural past to produce original and emotional designs that impart the character of their country. The connection between brand and passenger seems to be heightened in the Pacific area, where so many smaller principalities are vying on routes for new passengers. Could this be a rebound from the generalisation of air travel over the past few years, where product and brand have slowly become indistinguishable from each other through cost cutting, and the start of a new era of National pride of their carriers?"

It seems more and more carriers are trying to show they are bound by their roots. Personally I like this Air New Zealand livery, much better than the simple black tail.

777way

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Quoting A36001 (Reply 44):
of course JAL

bold? how? the previous tail was bold and daring for them to carry.

Aeri28

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 pm

It kind of has a Tim Burton feel to it. Non?

I know it's a fern, but it could be bones, or teeth.

I like ANZ. Flew on them from LAX/HNL/NAN and back on 742(ish), then the nonstop LAX-NAN-LAX on 744. Old old livery then newer livery. Loved the warm teal and the interior colors. Black is interesting, but it doesnt scream 'warm' to me, but in a way it is stunning no doubt.

antskip

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Quoting NZ6 (Reply 33):
is Australia color red? (qantas) as an example...

I read somewhere that the red and white of the QANTAS livery come from the English Colours of the Union Jack. The National Colours of Australia are Green and Gold, and sports teams representing Australia have used those colours for more than a hundred years. The National colours of New Zealand are Black, White and Red, representing the Maori. Black has long been the sole ("all") colour of the National Rugby Union team.

For my part, I have always loved Teal as the primary colour for New Zealand's National airline. New Zealand is everywhere dominated by the sea, and teal/turquoise represents that - and the original name of the airline, TEAL, an acronym for Tasman Empire Airways Limited.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos