Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bluesky73

RE: BBC AirportLive , 17th-20th June

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:22 am

I've watched them all so far and enjoyed what I've seen. Agreed Kate is rather excitable but she did work with Bill Oddie for years and probably even gets excited doing her weekly shopping.

It is good to see aircraft being turned around and G-EUYO was looking very factory fresh and gleaming.
Also good to see the repaint of G-EUUG and how they carry out prep and repaint.
I assume G-EUUM still has finishing touches to be completed but looks like it went in paint shop on 13th June.

Some more snapshots and milestones through the decades would be nice too but let's see what episode 4 brings.

Overall a good job and definately the best programme on the beeb this week.

hotplane

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:44 am

For some reason the A380s only have ten thousand tail dots.
?

9MMPD

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Great series.

Hopefully this series will show authorities that the general public is fascinated by aviation and that proper viewing facilities at Heathrow are a great idea. If the public are more engaged with the operations of this facility it could show how restraint this facility is.

Bongodog1964

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Quoting hotplane (Reply 51):
or some reason the A380s only have ten thousand tail dots.

I did wonder about that, the comment was made by a Airbus paint man, he was a little vague about the number on the lines of "about 10,000" he might have been speaking about one side only. Its completely feasible that the number of dots doesn't alter, just their diameter especially as the larger tails are generally viewed from further away.

art

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:08 pm

I have seen bits of 2 of the transmissions. I thought it gave a good explanation of the operating procedures and considerations involved with dispatch, ATC etc and was quite informative.

kaitak

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Tonight's is very good; the A380 landing was very interesting - nothing like a glass cockpit at night!

One thing that surprised me: the BA pilot said that there were only two reversers, the inboards (2 and 3). However, I thought that the CAA required reversers on all engines? (I realise all current A380s have reversers on two engines only).

This is a very good show and it is great that the BBC is bringing it to us; it's all the more important now because with security concerns, there isn't the time/possibility to look around the airport as there used to be.

[email protected]

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Anita said “can I fire your cannon?” What a euphemism!   
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

OA260

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 47):
Cheers mate, hope you enjoy 3D view   can see Anita going for fire fight 

Thanks was great  

Congrats to the BBC a truly top class production. Its what makes you proud of the BBC and also of Heathrow. Its still one of the best Airports in the world.

Loved the detailed interior and exterior views of the new Terminal 2 . Really looking forward to that next year. Also a really nice bit about Concorde. Was so glad they did that piece.

flyingthe757

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 pm

BBC, you did a fantastic job with that show.

Very informative and interesting and showing things people see all the time, but did not understand.

Shame it was only 4 episodes.

GDB

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:36 am

For those not into aviation this series did a good job.
In the last one, I did like the balanced way the issues about how LHR affects the local community was handled, you don't get that very often. You usually only hear the views of a loud minority.

I agree that Dan Snow might have been more at ease than Kate Humble but if he could not do the live broadcasts, so be it. He's a common sight on the BBC doing history, military and aviation documentaries and does a good job.

Dave Barnes, the BA paint bay manager, got a few good natured comments like 'can we have an autograph' yesterday at work!

[email protected]

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 59):
In the last one, I did like the balanced way the issues about how LHR affects the local community was handled, you don't get that very often. You usually only hear the views of a loud minority.

Fully agree. Most intriguing.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

imag

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:04 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 43):
I did note two evenings running, low load factors on VS, 141 pax on a 333 to Washington on Tuesday and 145 on a 346 to Johannesberg yesterday, slightly surprised both by the figures and that they willingly disclosed them.

That was quite surprising to me. I fly to Johannesburg at least once a year and VS are usually the more expensive of the three direct flights (BA and SA the others). I often wonder why they don't just drop the prices a bit and get more pax in.

Overall, I think the BBC did a great job. Even as an a.nutter and someone who has done the Marriot plane spotter weekend at Heathrow, I learnt quite a bit.

boysteve

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Quoting TheAviator380 (Reply 45):
A380 is simply most talked about aircraft at the moment, almost 5 years in to the service but public craze and excitement about this giant is still there. So obviously they showing more things relate to A380. 747 is almost a past now, long gone,

Exactly, for large aircraft the B747 captured the public's imagination from it's first flight in 1969. If the program had been made anytime between 1969 and 2008 the B747 would hold unofficial centre stage, a period of 39 years!!!!!! No-one can complain that the A380 has had this role for just 5 years now surely!

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 56):
Anita said “can I fire your cannon?” What a euphemism!   

Yes that made me spit my drink out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos