Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

deltaflyertoo
Topic Author

Future Of United's Domestic IFE

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Question on future of United's domestic IFE. I've flown on a few a/c w/ Live TV. That is all there was-Live TV-no audio, no video on demand etc. I was just looking at their website and all indications are, this is all there will be. So they aren't going to make it like Delta where Live TV is one component but you can also listen to audio, watch pre loaded movies, TV and see a map?

To clarify the a/c that don't have LIve TV (Airbuses and pre-merge 757s) have "mainscreen" where you can get audio (including Channel 9) and then everyone watches same video. Is that going to be phased out for Live TV only?

ordbosewr

RE: Future Of United's Domestic IFE

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Actually the pmUA aircraft (mainly airbus) fleet will be getting wifi and support streaming content. The future of the airbus fleet will be BYOD (bring your own device) with power in all seats. They have not stated whether content will be free or paid in the future. It is free for the planes it is on now. (this is the same plan they have for the coach 747 upgrades, ie BYOD)

Most of the pmUA 757's will be replaced with 737-900ER's. It is unknown if they will get the DTV or not. We should have a good understanding on this by the end of the year as those 737's start to arrive..
The remaining pmUA 757's will most likely be in the 'new' PS configuration (which is AVOD).

on the pmCO 737 fleet it will be LiveTV and wifi when the folks from LiveTV actually get it working. They have been promising internet and wifi for years so I will believe it when I see it.

flyua

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:26 pm

deltaflyertoo,

My guess -- just a guess, based on my observations -- is that the future of United's domestic IFE will be wireless: wi-fi, with a "streaming video" offering of movies and TV shows. I believe DirecTV installations on newly-delivered B737-900ERs are over. From here on out, it will be only wi-fi. No drop-down video screens, no new seatback video screens (except on our 15 p.s. B757s), no new audio systems. If Channel 9 feed can be somehow supplied via wi-fi, then maybe that will be a feature, but I rather doubt it.

AA has promised seat-back AVOD on all new-delivery narrowbodies. DL provides seatback AVOD and live TV on many of their narrowbodies. UA... I worry if we're making a competitive misstep. Time will tell.

1337Delta764

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Quoting flyua (Reply 2):
AA has promised seat-back AVOD on all new-delivery narrowbodies. DL provides seatback AVOD and live TV on many of their narrowbodies. UA... I worry if we're making a competitive misstep. Time will tell.

On my most recent flight on a DL 75X with AVOD, far more people were still using the IFE system than those who were using their own devices. UA is definitely making a huge mistake if the new 739ERs will be Wi-Fi only, since an in-seat IFE system is far more convenient for most passengers.

[Edited 2013-06-28 15:38:19]

jayunited

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:40 am

Quoting flyua (Reply 2):
I believe DirecTV installations on newly-delivered B737-900ERs are over. From here on out, it will be only wi-fi. No drop-down video screens, no new seatback video screens (except on our 15 p.s. B757s), no new audio systems.

Can you provide the source of this information that UA is done installing DirectTV on the 737-900ER?

davescj

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:46 am

Quoting flyua (Reply 2):

I tend to agree with this. I personally prefer the AVOD, esp because I like the map. I'll miss channel 9 also (I fly mostly DL now, but wish they would bring it to DL).

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 3):
On my most recent flight on a DL 75X with AVOD, far more people were still using the IFE system than those who were using their own devices. UA is definitely making a huge mistake if the new 739ERs will be Wi-Fi only, since an in-seat IFE system is far more convenient for most passengers.

I agree with this as well. DL seems to split the concept, some AVOD is free and HBO is for purchase in Y.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

BC77008

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:58 am

Does Delta offer live tv? If so I had no idea.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

MaverickM11

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:03 am

Quoting flyua (Reply 2):
UA... I worry if we're making a competitive misstep. Time will tell.

I don't think so--it's been pretty clear so far that in seat IFE is a terrible investment and it is only going to get worse. Sure it's nice to have but no one is making purchase decisions based on IFE in any meaningful way.
I don't take responsibility at all

Cactus739

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:23 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 7):
but no one is making purchase decisions based on IFE in any meaningful way.

I think we can all agree there's one a.net member who lives his life based solely on the IFE available.

Quoting flyua (Reply 2):
DL provides seatback AVOD and live TV on many of their narrowbodies

the only issue with DL is that its incredibly inconsistent and no apparent route is planned to get it consistent. Some 757's have it, others don't. Some 737-800's have it, others don't. On my last PHX-ATL-RDU-ATL-PHX flights all were 757's and only two had seatback AVOD (one short flight and one long flight).
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

aerokiwi

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:27 am

Sure it's nice to have but no one is making purchase decisions based on IFE in any meaningful way.

Really? Because I do. And if all the IFE options are lousy, I just go Southwest.

MaverickM11

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:38 am

Quoting cactus739 (Reply 8):
I think we can all agree there's one a.net member who lives his life based solely on the IFE available.

Aerokiwi? 
Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 9):
Really? Because I do. And if all the IFE options are lousy, I just go Southwest

You may be the only one. Just look at the most profitable carriers--few of them have any IFE at all. And CM, which lately has been showing all carriers how it's done, only recently added in seat IFE.

aerokiwi

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:07 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 10):
You may be the only one.

But if there's a choice, and all other things being equal (same crappy seats, same terrible on-time performance, same indifferent onboard service), the IFE plays a big factor in my selection.

I guess I'm not one of the "can't you just read a book for 3 hours?" crowd. And I suspect the consumers of tomorrow aren't either.

So can you substantiate that it's a "terrible investment"?

MaverickM11

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:19 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 11):
I guess I'm not one of the "can't you just read a book for 3 hours?" crowd. And I suspect the consumers of tomorrow aren't either.

I'm the same, but I've never paid a premium to get IFE

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 11):
So can you substantiate that it's a "terrible investment"?

There's a pretty big, concrete cost to installing IFE, but there's really no way to recoup that ever. Some carriers like F9 and UA charge for IFE, and the take rates are just pathetic, and that's with the screen in front of your face and the immediate prospect of an entertainment-less 6 hour flight ahead of you. At booking, it's much further from travelers' minds and even less likely to be a factor in their decision--I just don't see where carriers ever recoup even a fraction of that investment, especially when G4/FR/NK/CM...even LH...do well with limited to no IFE.

flyua

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:49 am

jayunited,

I am not positive if DirecTV installs won't be coming to our new B737-900ERs. I thought I heard they were finished. But I am, afterall, only a flight attendant. Always take what a flight attendant (or a pilot, or a ground agent, or any front line employee) says with a grain of salt. I'm sorry if I'm putting out false information.

Hopefully, CALTECH or CALPSAFltskeds -- more reliable sources -- will be able to provide a firm and trustworthy answer. I'll stop posting rumors. You're right to ask for a source!

TWA772LR

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:35 am

UA narrowbody IFE absolutely SUCKS!!! $6 for LiveTV for a flight thats 3-4 hours? That's outrageous! How does UA make money off of that anyways? I see maybe no more than 5 people watching TV every time I fly. UA should just jack up the ticket price by $1, and say that the TV is free. That would guarantee an extra (at least) $124 per flight, and would be one hell of a marketing gimmick! And help make the return-on-investment! Add that half of the sCO narrow body fleet, don't even get me started on the sUA fleet, are supposed to have this, but don't, and you have a tremendous product inconsistency. If it's 3 things the narrowbody UA fleet needs in Y, it's product consistency, better seats (at least the sCO long haul Y seats), and expedited installation of LiveTV, WiFi and what-not.

Also, a map on the PTV's and CH9 in the 737s wouldn't kill ya neither, UA...

Rant off.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

hereandthere41

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:27 am

Quoting flyua (Reply 13):

I do believe you're correct. The current order of 739's arriving do not have DirecTV. I believe an internal memo referenced this along with the A320's moving to streaming wifi and BYOD. If I'm not mistaken, customers will either get DirecTV with wifi, or streaming video with wifi; depending on the fleet. The free entertainment days are over. From the mouth of Sam Risoli, VP of Inflight, traditional IFE is simply too heavy.

1337Delta764

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:29 pm

the only issue with DL is that its incredibly inconsistent and no apparent route is planned to get it consistent. Some 757's have it, others don't. Some 737-800's have it, others don't. On my last PHX-ATL-RDU-ATL-PHX flights all were 757's and only two had seatback AVOD (one short flight and one long flight).

The 739ERs should increase the amount of AVOD aircraft in the domestic fleet, since they will be replacing some of the older 757s (including the PMNW 75Ns) and A320s.

Quoting hereandthere41 (Reply 15):
I do believe you're correct. The current order of 739's arriving do not have DirecTV. I believe an internal memo referenced this along with the A320's moving to streaming wifi and BYOD. If I'm not mistaken, customers will either get DirecTV with wifi, or streaming video with wifi; depending on the fleet. The free entertainment days are over. From the mouth of Sam Risoli, VP of Inflight, traditional IFE is simply too heavy.

Looks like UA wants to cater to an extreme minority of passengers, since on DL the majority of passengers prefer to use the IFE system if available.

[Edited 2013-06-29 05:32:16]

thorntot

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Current refurbishing of the A320 and A319 fleet has the aircraft rolling out of the hangar with no IFE whatsoever. No audio, no liveTV, no movies, no headset jack. Not even a video screen for marketing clips and safety demonstrations. This requires the cabin crew to do "manual" demos.

The frames, referred to as the "S" Series (320S and 319S) have the new slim-line seats (adds six seats with no loss of legroom) and are to have wi-fi aboard and nothing else.

[Edited 2013-06-29 06:00:14]
Work Hard. Fly Right.

brilondon

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 14):
Also, a map on the PTV's and CH9 in the 737s wouldn't kill ya neither, UA..

The map should be available on a channel that is always on, but the CH9 would only be of real interest to people from A-Net and I can and do live without it.

Quoting thorntot (Reply 17):
The frames are to have wi-fi aboard and nothing else.

I think that this is the way of the future although I am probably wrong.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

1337Delta764

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 18):
I think that this is the way of the future although I am probably wrong.

Apparently, DL doesn't agree since DL will be installing AVOD on the ENTIRE 739ER fleet. Furthermore, on DL, those using the IFE system outnumber those using their own devices about 10:1 based on my personal experiences.

christao17

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:46 pm

If you consider how rapidly personal mobile devices are evolving, putting an AVOD system in the back of a seat is making a 5-10 year investment in a technology that will be obsolete (or, at least, very dated) by the time you finish installing it across the fleet.

For long-haul flying (transoceanic, for example), having IFE is probably a more important factor for customer satisfaction than it is on shorter-haul flying. And if given the option of seats that are kitted out with power outlets or USB power jacks, it seems that more passengers would prefer to enjoy the up-to-date technology of their own devices, featuring content they chose.

In the end, I think UA is actually making a very far-sighted choice, one that the other US majors will end up following.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

1337Delta764

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Quoting christao17 (Reply 20):
And if given the option of seats that are kitted out with power outlets or USB power jacks, it seems that more passengers would prefer to enjoy the up-to-date technology of their own devices, featuring content they chose.

That clearly isn't the case with DL, where far more people use the IFE system than their own devices. DL is not stupid; I am pretty sure that they weighed all options with the 739ER order and decided that both in-seat IFE and streaming video should be offered instead of only streaming video, since DL does not want to alienate on the majority of their passengers who prefer in-seat IFE.

[Edited 2013-06-29 06:51:24]

futureorthopod

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Thank you for this thread guys! I have always wondered how UA would progress with the installation of onboard entertainment systems after taking over my beloved CO. I try to choose my flights based on which aircraft are more likely to have the newer DTV (since I know wide bodies are generally all international and most, if not all, of the old CO 752's with AVOD are on international routes) systems; however, sometimes I am not lucky and I end up on an aircraft with the lame drop-downs or no system at all (i.e. the newer 739's and 738's fresh off the line s/p the merger).

Couple of questions for you guys:

1. You know of a way to find out, when booking, which aircraft have what type of entertainment system?

General question regarding the United product:
1. Wondering if UA is planning any upgrades to their general product? First class domestic meals are horrible and the seats are not exceptional. Economy product is "bleh" as well.

2. How does their onboard product compare to Alaska's (My mentor/PI flies Alaska alot and loves the service)?

I've been contemplating a switch to another airline even though I do have elite status b/c I have not been happy with United service.

Thanks...and I hope I did not digress too much!

davescj

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 6):
Does Delta offer live tv? If so I had no idea.

With DL, there are so man IFE systems you never know what you're going to get. And once, I was on a flight with the drop down screen, but it wasn't used (while it was used on another flight....both 757s, both time ATL - RSW).

DL offers drop down screens, HBO/Showtime pd TV, AVOD, and live TV depending on the flight.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...rvices/products/entertainment.html

Some 737-800's have it, others don't. On my last PHX-ATL-RDU-ATL-PHX flights all were 757's and only two had seatback AVOD (one short flight and one long flight).

The 757s are total crap shoots. It is not only the AVOD, but some of the birds just look used hard and put away wet. I forget if it is the former TWA or NW that are the worst.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 19):
Furthermore, on DL, those using the IFE system outnumber those using their own devices about 10:1 based on my personal experiences.

I would say my experience is the same. As a rule, I bring only head phones (noise canceling). Other than that, I'll bring book, but not a laptop/dvds as a rule.

That said, I'm surprised there aren't more red boxes in airports. I have seen some other company (I forget the name) in a couple airports. It would seem like a logical mix - red boxes and airports.

Dave

solarflyer22

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Quoting futureorthopod (Reply 22):
1. You know of a way to find out, when booking, which aircraft have what type of entertainment system?

I think you can find out on SeatGuru.com by entering the route but I have always been suspicious because of the UA/CO merger and the AA/US and DL/NW mergers the fleets are all jumbled now. I don't think there is a sure fire way to know and there is always a possible sub at the last minute.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 21):
That clearly isn't the case with DL, where far more people use the IFE system than their own devices. DL is not stupid; I am pretty sure that they weighed all options with the 739ER order and decided that both in-seat IFE and streaming video should be offered instead of only streaming video, since DL does not want to alienate on the majority of their passengers who prefer in-seat IFE.

It's very interesting to me how the airlines are approaching the IFE issue. Its different for each airline but it would seem to me IFE is most important on TATL and Pacific crossing flights. UA new 757's have an excellent IFE package for TATL having flown one recently.

I would imagine there is significant weight/cost savings in NOT putting in a PTV in each seat. I think the BYOD approach that WN seems to be going with wifi is probably the best route. DirectTV is also much cheaper for the airlines I think because there is a real price to be paid for new content (i.e. newly released films). I imagine they get hammered like netflix as they have no commercials. Satellite TV makes sense. Its cheap, light and planes get good signals over CONUS.

1337Delta764

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Quoting davescj (Reply 23):
The 757s are total crap shoots. It is not only the AVOD, but some of the birds just look used hard and put away wet. I forget if it is the former TWA or NW that are the worst.

It is the former NW aircraft, particularly the 75Ns. The ex-TWA aircraft are actually rather nice and clean and are not very old. Luckily the 739ERs should be replacing the 75Ns, as well as the older A32x and PMDL 752s.

brilondon

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:29 pm

For long-haul flying (transoceanic, for example), having IFE is probably a more important factor for customer satisfaction than it is on shorter-haul flying. And if given the option of seats that are kitted out with power outlets or USB power jacks, it seems that more passengers would prefer to enjoy the up-to-date technology of their own devices, featuring content they chose.

I agree. I like my computer and downloading my own movies rather then the airlines telling me what to watch.

Apparently, DL doesn't agree since DL will be installing AVOD on the ENTIRE 739ER fleet. Furthermore, on DL, those using the IFE system outnumber those using their own devices about 10:1 based on my personal experiences.

Are they also not installing Wifi on most of their aircraft and making it available on most of their routes?

1337Delta764

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 26):
Are they also not installing Wifi on most of their aircraft and making it available on most of their routes?

DL is indeed installing Wi-Fi (including streaming video) on their aircraft, but unlike UA, DL is giving passengers a choice, and the majority has spoken: DL passengers prefer having an in-seat TV over using their own devices.

copter808

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 3):

Agreed.

!!! $6 for LiveTV for a flight thats 3-4 hours? That's outrageous! How does UA make money off of that anyways?

I don't EVER recall paying to watch anything, and I certainly would NOT pay $6. I might pay $1 or so (per flight). So charging less, might earn more!

MaverickM11

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:28 pm

$6 for LiveTV for a flight thats 3-4 hours? That's outrageous! How does UA make money off of that anyways?

I think it's actually $6 for 2 hours or less, and $8-9 for over 2 hours or something silly. I believe LiveTV shoulders all the cost and sets the pricing; UA has little if any exposure. The real question is how does LiveTV make money?

UA should just jack up the ticket price by $1

Ah yes, the "just charge more!" meme...if only airlines thought of that 

tommy767

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Unfortunately the 320 and 319 are getting their screens ripped out in favor of darkness. To me, this makes absolutely no sense as they were the most comfortable aircraft in the sUA narrow body fleet. They get what out of it? 6 more seats? Not worth it when you consider how expensive it is perform heavy MX on the Airbuses.

IIRC, according to FT the DTV installations on the 737 are still taking place. I DO NOT believe they have stopped.

I don't think so--it's been pretty clear so far that in seat IFE is a terrible investment and it is only going to get worse. Sure it's nice to have but no one is making purchase decisions based on IFE in any meaningful way.

Oh please. Can you stop being a COdbaUA cheerleader for one thread?

Quoting hereandthere41 (Reply 15):
From the mouth of Sam Risoli, VP of Inflight, traditional IFE is simply too heavy.

Too heavy? This guy is a moron. It wasn't too heavy for CO to install DTV across the entire 737 fleet but now it's apparently "too heavy?" But of course it's not too heavy to install brand new IFE systems on the PS 757, 763, and 777. When are the lies going to stop at the new UA?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

DualQual

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 30):

It wasn't "too heavy" because LiveTV bore the entire installation cost. Thusly they get most of the revenue generated. I guess Kellner et al figured LiveTV offered some sort of competitive advantage with no install cost associated.

To be sure though, the pricing on it could be better. Unfortunately, UA has little, if any, control on the cost. It's again knowing the cost of everything vs the value of nothing.
There's no known cure for stupid

brilondon

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 9):
Really? Because I do. And if all the IFE options are lousy, I just go Southwest.

I guess I am in the minority, but I have my computer with me most of the time and I don't worry about what I will be entertained with. Yes, I like to watch the moving map or listening to channel 9 but as I said before Chanel 9 I could take or leave and I don't really care for what crap is available on the IFE. Most of the time I either watch my movies or videos that I choose from my library of downloaded material or I can go online or I can try to watch the crap that is on the seatback TVs.

United1

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:18 pm

UA narrowbody IFE absolutely SUCKS!!! $6 for LiveTV for a flight thats 3-4 hours? That's outrageous! How does UA make money off of that anyways?

LiveTV owns all of the equipment and pays for the installation/MTC cost on all of the aircraft. LiveTV sets the fee per flight and collects the revenue. UA gets a small fee from LiveTV to offer their product on board just enough to offset the cost of flying the extra weight around and maybe a little profit.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

airliner371

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:30 pm

I would most prefer having Wi-Fi, streaming video and Live TV along with games and a map streamed to my personal device ala WN. The way Row44 does it, the airline chooses the prices or it can be free. I don't know why more airlines don't go with it, you don't have the weight of the TVs, chords etc... but you offer all that a seat back TV would plus wifi.

MaverickM11

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Oh please. Can you stop being a COdbaUA cheerleader for one thread?

*THAT* is what you get from what I've said so far? Or this:

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):
--I just don't see where carriers ever recoup even a fraction of that investment, especially when G4/FR/NK/CM...even LH...do well with limited to no IFE.

As usual, your comprehension is zilch.

FriendlySkies

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:01 pm

In the end, I think UA is actually making a very far-sighted choice, one that the other US majors will end up following.

I think UA sees the overall trend towards streaming media and wifi, and is making a long term decision. I'd rather pay $7 for wifi than to see what's on TV personally.

Keep in mind wifi has only been available on select carriers for a few years, and tablets about the same time. In 5 years I think this will be proven a wise move.

davescj

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:27 pm

I like the idea of WI FI and streaming video. What I don't like is the high fees that airlines are currently charging.

Dave

tommy767

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:50 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 35):

As usual, your comprehension is zilch.

How can you say that IFE is irrelevant? AA and DL apparently think it is on domestic routes. UA is supposedly a "global" airline, why should they dull themselves down to Spirit and Allegiant levels?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

STT757

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 pm

You can pre-Purchase 4 or more credits for Directv in advance for $4.99 each, the credits last six months.

https://purchase.livetv.net/Purchase.aspx
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

MSPNWA

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:10 am

Whatever UA's plan is, all I ask is for consistency. That's what I've liked with the old UA A319/320. Not only was it a very good product for a domestic aircraft, but you knew what you were getting, even if the an 320 was swapped for a 319. DL's some do/some don't AVOD on the 738 and 752 is something you can't pay more for because it's no guarantee you'll get it on flight day. Just have a consistent fleet, UA. It's about delivery, not content.

Quoting davescj (Reply 23):

Could have been anything. The two worst DL 752 interiors I've been on were both PMDL. The last PMNW 75N I flew on was ancient-looking inside, but it was in decent condition.

Too heavy? This guy is a moron. It wasn't too heavy for CO to install DTV across the entire 737 fleet but now it's apparently "too heavy?" But of course it's not too heavy to install brand new IFE systems on the PS 757, 763, and 777. When are the lies going to stop at the new UA?

You're trying too hard to find a reason to pick on UA. With IFE on a long-haul fleet, competitors have it and consumers want it. Market conditions dictate installing good IFE. On a short-haul domestic fleet, that just doesn't apply. I like having good IFE over nothing, but I understand why it's not standard equipment. So many passengers don't even know what plane type they're on, let alone know if it has entertainment. You just can't charge that little extra if the consumer isn't knowledgeable.

klkla

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:34 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 32):
I guess I am in the minority, but I have my computer with me most of the time and I don't worry about what I will be entertained with.

I agree with you when I'm in first class but a laptop is almost useless in coach IMO. With seat pitch being reduced by all the airlines the person in front of you always reclines too far back and shoulder room is too narrow to be comfortable. In this case seat back entertainment is definitely the way to go.

christao17

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:12 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 21):
DL is not stupid; I am pretty sure that they weighed all options with the 739ER order and decided that both in-seat IFE and streaming video should be offered instead of only streaming video, since DL does not want to alienate on the majority of their passengers who prefer in-seat IFE.

My suspicion is that UA is not stupid either; I am pretty sure they also weighed all options. They have just arrived at a different conclusion. Time will tell how these respective decisions pan out and, as I said, I suspect they are taking a longer-term view compared with DL and several other domestic United States carriers.

christao17

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:27 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 27):
and the majority has spoken: DL passengers prefer having an in-seat TV over using their own devices.

The majority of passengers would prefer having free meals and shoulder massages, too. The question is, in the domestic market, is having an in-seat TV enough of a differentiator to make an economy class passenger willing to choose your airline and pay more over another airline?

Economy class passengers are very price sensitive and many are probably not aware of the exact differences in entertainment options offered between the different carriers. A passenger flying DL may be overjoyed to discover that he has the option of both an in-seat TV and wi-fi for his own device. The same passenger flying UA may be perfectly happy to discover just wi-fi for his own device. The question is, will he choose to fly DL over UA just because of that difference? What if the DL ticket is more expensive?

We don't know the answer to that question. DL seems to be concluding that the in-seat TV is enough of a differentiator. UA seems to be concluding that, considering the weight and maintenance savings of not having in-seat TVs as well as other factors, a power outlet and wi-fi is the better way to go.

We will see who is right over the long run.

MaverickM11

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 38):

How can you say that IFE is irrelevant? AA and DL apparently think it is on domestic routes. UA is supposedly a "global" airline, why should they dull themselves down to Spirit and Allegiant levels?

Have you seen any correlation between IFE and profitability anywhere? Any evidence anywhere, whatsoever, that people pay a premium for IFE? There is none.

artsyman

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:41 am

The UA Direct Tv jets have had a software tweak and now have the live Map. Not all updated yet, but it's on a number of them already.

fxramper

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:28 am

Was on a sUA a319 the other day to LAX in First. The internet sucked. Impossible to log on. WN is easier. Just did a sUA reconfig 752 with the sCO pod seats, around 7 rows in BizFirst. Was really nice. The screen appeared larger, but probably was the same size at the sCO 752, but the layout of the IFE was nice a la sUA Global First. Super easy to navigate and a lot more user friendly. I especially enjoy the set up for the channel 9 and the new Route Map.

fun2fly

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 pm

All but 2 standard config 739er's have IFE All the signature interior ones do not (including some w/o E+), so is this just a case of certification delay + summer time utilization and the install will pick up in the fall?

Everyone is bashing UA, but no one has stated a fact that UA has abandoned the program. Anyone know for sure?

In the CO world, they wanted every customer interior plane service experience to be the same regardless of the type of plane, so it would seem odd that they would have several 739 configs. However, I was also 100% willing to be the A319/320's would have the same interior experience, but we've seen that they won't even have the same seat covers as the 737 family so what do I know?

1337Delta764

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Quoting christao17 (Reply 42):
My suspicion is that UA is not stupid either; I am pretty sure they also weighed all options. They have just arrived at a different conclusion. Time will tell how these respective decisions pan out and, as I said, I suspect they are taking a longer-term view compared with DL and several other domestic United States carriers.

UA might not be stupid, however, since the two mergers occurred, Richard Anderson has made much better decisions for the combined DL/NW than Jeff Smisek has been making for the combined UA/CO. And Richard Anderson came from an airline that did not offer domestic IFE.

United1

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Quoting fun2fly (Reply 47):
Everyone is bashing UA, but no one has stated a fact that UA has abandoned the program. Anyone know for sure?

LIveTV pays for the installs and in most cases the cost of certifying the aircraft for their equipment. It's entirely possible that UA has nothing to do with what people perceive as a hold up... My own opinion is that UA will finish whatever contract they have with LiveTV and start to remove the system in favor of streaming video & WiFi. I don't think that it will be a quick change over however as it will probably be dictated by the replacement of the Koito seats.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 48):
And Richard Anderson came from an airline that did not offer domestic IFE.

...I'm not sure why AND/R coming from an airline that didn't offer domestic IFE would have any bearing on his decision making abilities but OK whatever...

Look at the end of the day DL is really heading in the same direction that UA is when it comes to IFE....ie the vast majority of DLs and UAs domestic fleets will never have inseat AVOD. AVOD on overseas aircraft, a limited number of domestic aircraft that have AVOD/inseat video and the rest equipped with streaming WiFi. BTW DL.com has no information whatsoever on the streaming video aspect of their installation can you point me in the direction of what content is offered?
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos