EK413

RE: Australian Aviation Thread # 75

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 am

Quoting zkokq (Reply 150):
Quoting EK413 (Reply 132):

There will be a photo from Adam or Tim going up on my YBBN blog tonight

Thank you  

EK8413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

zkokq

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:09 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 151):

I just posted a Tims photo on his behalf, as he is now preoccupied!

bjwonline

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

Was driving home from work today past SYD and could see a CX 748F sitting just off the freight terminal surrounded by emergency vehicles. Does anyone have any info on what happened?

eaglefarm4

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 148):

apparently not a new airline, but a new type (ie 737) for that airline. Know they were looking at BNE-OOL-MCY (probably 1 of for both domestic & international)

BNE's congestion is an issue.

Thanks SYDAIRPORTS
tourismman

qfvhoqa

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 am

QF has released the most popular destinations for redeeming QF frequent flyer points. Revealed: where Qantas Frequent Flyers spend their points

1. NAN
2. AKL
3. LAX
4. JNB
5. HNL

I'm surprised to see NAN top the list. I thought it would be HNL, but with SYD-HNL only 3x weekly I can see how NAN beat it.

RyanairGuru

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:05 am

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 155):
SYD-HNL only 3x weekly I can see how NAN beat it.

A lot of points would be used on JQ as well as QF, so it would be more-than-daily.

That said, with JQ FJ offering flights from NAN to three Australian ports, I'm not overly surprised that it topped the list.

The one that I am most surprised about is JNB. Given the yields on that flight, and the lack of competition, I would have thought that QF would have wanted to have the minimum number of redemptions seats as possible on that flight.

Finally, I am somewhat surprised that LHR didn't make the list, although I guess that the crazy fees and charges on that route almost make it as expensive as booking a revenue ticket anyway!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SYDAIRPORTS

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:15 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 156):
Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 155):SYD-HNL only 3x weekly I can see how NAN beat it.
A lot of points would be used on JQ as well as QF, so it would be more-than-daily.

FJ also do NAN/HNL 3 times a week. Once nonstop, once via APW & once via CXI (the other Xmas Island-think it's otherwise known as Kiribati - good for fishing have heard)

so QF points could be used on FJ not just JQ & QF.

As certain time of the year, there are plenty of seats on FJ to HNL.

cam747

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:19 am

Looks like a good start to EK's Adelaide service. Article in Adelaide magazine InDaily today:

"Dubai-based airline Emirates says it couldn’t be happier with the first six months of its Adelaide operations, with passenger loads running almost a third above budget.

Bookings for the period July to September are already at 86 per cent capacity compared to a budgeted 66 per cent.

Emirates’ four flights per week out of Adelaide started in November and moved to daily services in February.

In the period January to June, Emirates carried 48,176 outbound passengers and 36,720 inbound.

Emirates SA/NT district manager Paul Jury told InDaily the above-expectations performance came from some unexpected areas.

“It’s better than expected; we’re beating our target month by month and keep upgrading forecasts,” he said in a special briefing on the airlines progress to date.

“One area that’s surprised us is that we’ve been going out with around 60 per cent load in first class, very high levels in business class and above-budget loads in cargo.”

Emirates is now the only international airline operating through Adelaide with first-class suites.

“The origins and destinations have been interesting,” Jury said.

“While the UK, Italy and France are our top three destinations, number four is Switzerland and we hadn’t expected that.

“Iran and Saudi Arabia are up there as well, possibly because of the number of middle east students that are here in Adelaide and this is the first batch of holidays they’ve had since we started our daily services.”

Jury said the airline had been working hand-in-hand with the SA Tourism Commission, Business SA, Adelaide Convention Centre and the Adelaide City Council to drive up tourism numbers.

“It’s been amazing; there are South Australian billboards in Times Square and at Clapham Junction – places the SA brand hasn’t been before."

One trend that has surprised the airline is the number of passengers flying to Dubai and connecting cities after starting their journey in Canberra.

“It seems that its easier to go Canberra-Adelaide-Dubai than Canberra-Sydney-Dubai. It might be just a bit longer, but it’s easier to get around Adelaide Airport than Sydney.”

While Emirates is enjoying the solid start to its Adelaide run, passengers that used to connect into Asia via Qantas flights that have since been axed may not have long to wait before Emirates takes up the slack.

“If we get a second daily flight then I would think it would be via Asia.”

The latest inbound tourism figures show a 5.5 per cent increase in international tourists, a figure expected to rise further as the Australian dollars retreats from its above-parity position."

SYDAIRPORTS

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:54 am

new Wellcamp Airport near Toowoomba to be operational by September 2014. Runway capable of handling 747's to be finished 6 months before that.

Talk about bulldozing through the bureaucracy to get things done fast. It seems only a few months ago, they the had an auction of everything at the property, where the new runway is being built right now.

Looks like lots of FIFO & big freighters will be flying there in just over a years time.

No idea where the FIFO flights will be coming from.

Presume Alliance etc. using F100's. (didn't Alliance have a 737 recently ?)

Apparently big mine equipment which can't get up the range by road as too big will be flown in.

What are the big Antanov freighters called ? Are they bigger/heavier than a 747 ?

koruman

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:42 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 147):
The BNE-LAX market is a totally different situation, and it is largely because of the inconvenience of flying via SYD (and AKL) that you describe. There is so little competition in this market (ruling out DL and UA via SYD or NZ via AKL) that QF doesn't have the same pressure from below to compete on price

It's funny that I keep reading this.

I fly from Brisbane to LAX often, always in Business Class. I arrange my own flights, but they are usually reimbursed by employers.

I see it as a straightforward three-way choice between:

QF except Mondays, when I have to route via SYD.
VA three times weekly.
NZ daily via AKL.

I had a period of time a few months ago when I was really antagonised by NZ's treatment of elites when I stopped flying them, but I've gone back, lock, stock and barrel.

Quite simply, timetable issues make it a no-brainer to fly Air New Zealand.

Virgin is a non-starter as four days of the week I would have to route via SYD and change terminals. No thanks.

Air New Zealand works well because in both directions there is a 12 hour flight taking off after 8pm and arriving early in the morning. This means that although there is a 3 hour leg to/from BNE in each direction - plus a 2 hour transit - I can actually sleep properly and avoid jetlag.

Qantas simply doesn't work at all outbound to LAX. The return sector is fine: take off at LAX at 2345, land at BNE at 0645.

But the outward sector from BNE to LAX is a catastrophe: a 1035 take off and landing at 0640. I'm never ready to sleep until the plane is past Hawaii, so I arrive knackered at LAX knowing full well that my room won't be ready for another 6-10 hours. Going straight to work or driving a car is utterly out of the question. I've tried everything except drugs to get to sleep sooner on the BNE to LAX leg. Staying up late the night before, making myself get up at 3 am, everything. But I just can't get myself to sleep properly onboard before around 8pm Queensland time, which is around 3 hours prior to landing at LAX.

In contrast, if you take the NZ option you fly out of BNE two hours later at 1230, fly three hours, then have 2 hours on the ground. You can use that time to work or at leisure. You then board the TransPacific sector at around 6pm or 8pm Queensland time (double daily frequency), and I tend to have a big dinner, sleep around 7 hours, then get woken for breakfast 2 hours before landing, which is around 1pm. I usually choose to stay at Santa Monica, enjoy the rest of the day - my room is always ready upon arrival - and the next day I'm fine for work.

From BNE out to LAX, the only "advantage" of Qantas is that the trip is shorter. But those hours are then squandered in a haze of fatigue in California.

I'm surprised that more people haven't noticed this and chosen to route via Auckland.

[Edited 2013-07-17 22:57:13]

DeltaB717

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:35 am

Quoting cam747 (Reply 158):
One trend that has surprised the airline is the number of passengers flying to Dubai and connecting cities after starting their journey in Canberra.

“It seems that its easier to go Canberra-Adelaide-Dubai than Canberra-Sydney-Dubai. It might be just a bit longer, but it’s easier to get around Adelaide Airport than Sydney.”

I hope this really didn't come as a surprise to EK... first thing I did (I live in CBR) when they announced ADL was to look at CBR-ADL-DXB-LON return! Only snag is on the return leg when it arrives in ADL too late for CBR connections.

IndianicWorld

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:32 am

Great results so far for the EK ADL service.

Not sure I would expect a 2nd daily anytime soon though but its a promising start.

How has EK affected SQ and MH so far?

eta unknown

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:43 am

Quoting QF15 (Reply 78):
With Boeing having a connection with BNE maybe that also explains it.

The BNE connection is with Boeing Defence Australia, nothing civil related.

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 154):
apparently not a new airline, but a new type (ie 737) for that airline

Well if it's a 737, given the suggested routes nominated they'll be in for a rude shock once they do the trip planning LOL

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 106):
BR are not leaving BNE and there are plans to increase.

I didn't imply immediately, but we all know BR is the most likely airline to pull out in spite of the new billboard celebrating 20 years in BNE.

qantas747

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:45 am

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 161):

So as an avid Canberran and booker of many flights( I'm an agent, not so much a traveller; this ADL flight from EK has really helped in terms of availability and avoiding SYD! If only they would extend this flight to CBR! that would avoid the hassles of it getting into ADL too late

Current EK Flights:
Dep DXB 0205 Arr ADL 2005
Dep ADL 2150 Arr DXB (in time for the main wave)
(clearly not enough turnaround time to make it to CBR, unless they bring departure forward from DXB..)

If only EK were able to introduce one more flight ( I think they are at their maximum allowed) we could see a CBR tag on to the extra flight.

Imagine a triangular service with ADL and CBR ( similar to what CX did with ADL/MEL and HKG)

Say 3-4 Days per Week; DXB-SIN-ADL-CBR-SIN-DXB
lets think.. (please note all times are approximate based on rough schedules at similar time...)
DXB 0930 (connects with a DXB wave)
SIN 2000
SIN 2100
ADL 0600
ADL 0715
CBR 0915
CBR 1045
SIN 1700
SIN 1830
DXB 2300 ( in early enough to meet the QF1 & 10 to LON and the DXB Wave)

Essentially this kind of schedule would give ADL people access to a more reasonable DXB departure, and Canberrans a direct flight to Asia. And we all now how much premium traffic there is in CBR, so this could be how CBR gets connected directly to Asia..

I wonder if EK could then sell domestic seats.... then QF can redirect a 73H to AKL/WLG a couple of days a week...
wishful thinking I know.

Perhaps this kind of route is something for the QF 789's when they come into service (bypassing EK's australian limitations)? (come to think of it, this would be the most likely, as QF could then sell ADL-CBR domestically)

Food for thought perhaps...?
Alex

[Edited 2013-07-18 01:48:27]

IndianicWorld

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:00 am

Quoting qantas747 (Reply 164):
If only EK were able to introduce one more flight ( I think they are at their maximum allowed) we could see a CBR tag on to the extra flight.

Can't see EK operating into CBR. I know they made some statement years ago about looking at the market, but frankly just cant see it happening.

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 163):
I didn't imply immediately, but we all know BR is the most likely airline to pull out in spite of the new billboard celebrating 20 years in BNE.

I agree. Time will tell what moves each carrier makes.

ZK-NBT

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:29 am

I'm pretty sure the limit only exists for SYD, MEL, BNE, PER. EK can operate as many flights as they like to the other ports.

Gemuser

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:51 am

Essentially this kind of schedule would give ADL people access to a more reasonable DXB departure

The current 0205 IS a most reasonable time to depart DXB. The main European bank arrives DXB between 2300 & 0100, this give fabulous connections from the max number of European cities. This bank contains flights from most (all?) European cities that only have one daily flight, plus flights from most (all?) European cities that have more than one daily flight. It is the best eastbound bank to connect to, move the departure time and service to ADL is significantly reduced.
If there are that many ADL-CBR connections off the EK flight, QFLink should throw a 2100/2200 departure B717 on the route.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

qantas747

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 167):
The current 0205 IS a most reasonable time to depart DXB. The main European bank arrives DXB between 2300 & 0100, this give fabulous connections from the max number of European cities

I agree; This flight does connect very well to another one of EK's banks ; however I was referring more to the DXB departure time and getting into Australia in the morning. There are quite of few of my clients as well as my colleagues' clients, who have pax not wanting to get a flight that departs at 0205. This flight is fantastic for connecting traffic and a good arrival into Adelaide for a well earned rest. If though, you wanted to stopover in DXB on the return leg ( which is an increasing trend (from my viewpoint anyway...) the 0205 departure is unacceptable to these travellers. This departure also neglects people that want to spend the full day in Europe before catching an evening flight back east.

Hence the reason I suggested any possible second flight ( in my hypothetical routing above) would also benefit Adelaide travellers (QF/EK link to Asia) as well as Canberrans. (I'm not suggesting changing the current arrival time)

On the whole, I recognise that it is difficult for CBR to get international services; but a solution that combines the traffic with a couple of cities (ADL & SIN) could help to grow the market and provide an international link.

Canberra has a population of around 350 000, a catchment area of around 500 000, a huge government and diplomatic presence, and is one of the only national capitals around to not have international services. Not to mention that the average person in Canberra is on a relatively high income. CBR's public servants and diplomats love going on holiday, and when they travel they are looking to the more premium classes.
Perhaps Qantas knows how important the CBR traffic is to SYD & MEL traffic and does not want to dilute yields.

Anyway, enough of my pipedream! I just dont want our brand spanking new international terminal to be a white elephant!
Cheers

Alex

RyanairGuru

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:38 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 160):
the outward sector from BNE to LAX is a catastrophe: a 1035 take off and landing at 0640. I'm never ready to sleep until the plane is past Hawaii, so I arrive knackered at LAX knowing full well that my room won't be ready for another 6-10 hours. Going straight to work or driving a car is utterly out of the question. I've tried everything except drugs to get to sleep sooner on the BNE to LAX leg. Staying up late the night before, making myself get up at 3 am, everything. But I just can't get myself to sleep properly onboard before around 8pm Queensland time, which is around 3 hours prior to landing at LAX.

In contrast, if you take the NZ option you fly out of BNE two hours later at 1230, fly three hours, then have 2 hours on the ground. You can use that time to work or at leisure. You then board the TransPacific sector at around 6pm or 8pm Queensland time (double daily frequency), and I tend to have a big dinner, sleep around 7 hours, then get woken for breakfast 2 hours before landing, which is around 1pm. I usually choose to stay at Santa Monica, enjoy the rest of the day - my room is always ready upon arrival - and the next day I'm fine for work.

I hear yah!

I travel to the Eastern Seaboard so the early arrival in LAX isn't such an issue (I can nap on the transcon if necessary) but I do know what you mean about not being able to sleep until you're just about at the top of the descent!

AM departures from Europe to Asia are the same, I once - and ONLY once - flew SQ MAN-SIN - departure at 10am, arrival 2am MAN time. Other than the fact that - for some reason - SQ grates on me, the main reason that I never went back is that the times were so dreadful. There is a lot of competition from Europe to Asia, with schedules that don't screw with your sleep patterns so much.

The reason that I am more accommodating with these times to the USA is, as I said, I'm always connecting. The late morning or afternoon arrivals with NZ and UA, in many cases, means that there isn't a same day connection to my final destination. If you are going to ORD or JFK then you are fine. If you're heading to ORF or GSO, though, you are often stuck as you arrive at the East Coast hub (EWR or IAD for example) at something like 11pm, after the final flight has departed.

A good option, and I understand that you do this as well, is to go via HNL. 9pm departure form Aus, decent 8 hour sleep, arrive at 7am, connect to the mainland, and arrive in the afternoon/evening ready to go to bed. IMHO those times are much, much better than the non-stops, and if my final destination was on the Western Seaboard then I would very strongly consider taking that route again (the time I did it I was heading to LAS).

"Dubai-based airline Emirates says it couldn’t be happier with the first six months of its Adelaide operations, with passenger loads running almost a third above budget.

That is really great to hear, I wish them all the best for the route.

“While the UK, Italy and France are our top three destinations, number four is Switzerland and we hadn’t expected that.

“Iran and Saudi Arabia are up there as well

It's really interesting to see these regional variations across the country.

Duh! I'm not sure why this surprised them in the slightest.

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 161):
first thing I did (I live in CBR) when they announced ADL was to look at CBR-ADL-DXB-LON return! Only snag is on the return leg when it arrives in ADL too late for CBR connections.

Me too!

Not booked yet, but planned for next year. CBR-ADL-DXB-LGW works out a dream, with decent connections the entire way. And I can fly to LGW* as well! All this an heaven too   

Coming back I will connect in MEL - I can't stand that airport, but it is more convenient than SYD.

*Heading to Jersey, which is a massive PITA to get to via LHR.

could see a CBR tag on to the extra flight

I wouldn't be too surprised. I thought that EK could still add extra flights, just not to SYD/MEL/BNE/PER? Or is that only in the Qatar bilateral?

CBR would be an interesting market for all the reasons that you mention. Despite having a small local population, it massively punches above its weight as an air travel market. Lots of high value government, diplomatic and military traffic, plus an affluent local population with a high propensity to travel. While leisure routes from CBR (notably NAN) haven't proved successful, a strategically marketed CBR-SIN-DXB flight could work. While it might not have runaway load factors, it should attract some pretty impressive yields.

This route will live and die on being marketed to the right people and whispering in the right ears, which is why (if it were to eventuate) it is more likely now, with Qantas onboard, due to Qantas having the right contacts in high places.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SYDAIRPORTS

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:05 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 147):
Didn't suggest QF should/would hand over all 6 weekly BNE/LAX/BNE services to JQ, but maybe do as for SYD/HNL have both fly it.The problem then is that QF ends up competing with themselves unnecessarily. It creates the same issues that the Group has in other regions, where lower cost competitors come in with cheaper fares and make QF the expensive/less attractive option for the bulk of the market.

If HA were tog et their act together, ie. make US mainland flights/HNL connect with both HNL/BNE & HNL/SYD they would surely pick up lots of business traffic. At present you must overnight in HNL on way back to Australia from all mainland ports I believe.

koruman

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:07 am

Quoting QFVHOQA (Reply 155):
QF has released the most popular destinations for redeeming QF frequent flyer points. Revealed: where Qantas Frequent Flyers spend their points

1. NAN
2. AKL
3. LAX
4. JNB
5. HNL

I'm surprised to see NAN top the list. I thought it would be HNL, but with SYD-HNL only 3x weekly I can see how NAN beat it.

I see this all the time on the US threads.

People seem to assume that airlines can't sell tickets to Hawaii and that they dispose of all their inventory to frequent flyers.

Most sensible airlines exert strict controls on award inventory, and Qantas are no exception for their "classic awards". It's true that the more intellectually challenged can redeem Any Seat awards on the likes of QF and NZ, but the going rates are so high as for this to be a pursuit for the terminally-feckless only.

The presence of JNB was the only surprise for me, but I guess that it is a reflection on using a 744 for reasons of fleet mismatch on a sector where market demand would only be for a 77L or a 345 were it not for the two flag carriers being allowed to continue an anti-competitive monopoly.

SYDAIRPORTS

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:12 am

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 141):
new airline with 737's on Fifo and NZ and Bali.Anymore info you can reveal on this forum ?Is BNE apart of their plans.

a new 737 operator in Australia is looking for routes both domestic & international that either aren't served at all nonstop or aren't served adequately at present.

Anyone have any serious suggestions ?

Frequency can be as little as once a week as understand it will be an Allegiant USA type operation, where don't have to fly aircraft lots of hours, to make it work.

Some of the ports being looked at include BNE for international & domestic, TSV for international, MCY for both domestic & international. ABX for domestic.

koruman

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 am

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 170):
If HA were tog et their act together, ie. make US mainland flights/HNL connect with both HNL/BNE & HNL/SYD they would surely pick up lots of business traffic. At present you must overnight in HNL on way back to Australia from all mainland ports I believe.

It's not just a matter of "getting their act together".

Hawaiian run a really tight ship in terms of airframe utilisation, and they are simply not going to leave a 330 or 763 idle for hours to ensure that connections work in both directions.

Also, Dunkerley is a rounded CEO who understands non-American market metrics, and he is well aware that as long as Hawaiian operates a single long-haul product that can be used interchangably on Hawaii-US mainland flights, he will have no Premium Economy product and no lie-flat Business product, and consequently he cannot compete for Australia-USA traffic except in the very lowest-yielding market segments.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 169):
A good option, and I understand that you do this as well, is to go via HNL. 9pm departure form Aus, decent 8 hour sleep, arrive at 7am, connect to the mainland, and arrive in the afternoon/evening ready to go to bed. IMHO those times are much, much better than the non-stops, and if my final destination was on the Western Seaboard then I would very strongly consider taking that route again (the time I did it I was heading to LAS).

I'm flirting with doing it on Hawaiian to get to/from JFK.

I'm fortunate that when I go to the USA my employers are happy for me to have stopovers in both directions at my US gateway most of the time. I presume that this is a widespread practice, and is why Qantas offers no Monday BNE-LAX flight (because all of us fly on Saturday or Sunday and recharge our batteries for a day or two before our commitments in the US).

Funnily enough, even though I remain disenchanted with Air NZ's management's decisions, I'm starting to sneak back to them for Hawaii too. The reason is because, as I've explained, I try to maximise my stopovers at my US gateway in both directions, and on my return I like to get off the plane and go to work in Australia.

Air NZ's overnight flight from HNL to AKL, coupled with current use of the 77E with lie-flat beds, allows me to do so. Just as I have a whole set of rituals for San Francisco (ferry to Sausalito) and Santa Monica (beach, pier, Encounter at LAX) for my SFO and LAX departure days, I also have one for Kailua Beach on a HNL departure day. And whereas NZ flies out of HNL at 2200, QF and JQ have unspeakable early morning check-ins!

SYDAIRPORTS

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:41 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 173):
Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 170):If HA were tog et their act together, ie. make US mainland flights/HNL connect with both HNL/BNE & HNL/SYD they would surely pick up lots of business traffic. At present you must overnight in HNL on way back to Australia from all mainland ports I believe.
It's not just a matter of "getting their act together".

currently HA1 LAX/HNL & HA451 HNL/SYD have an 80 min connect at HNL, but HNL/BNE HA443 TUE, THU, SAT departs an hour before HA1 arrives from LAX.

Very similar scenario with SEA, SFO, OAK, PHX, PDX, SMF/HNL.

In other words if HNL/BNE can be moved back to a slightly later departure then a mired of fantastic connections occur.

Yes, this is looking in islation, but looking at timing of BNE/HNL - most onwards flights to USA mainland don't go until 3 or 4 hours after current arrival time of BNE/HNL flight in HNL.

TN486

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Some op problems with VA tonight (Fri 19 Jul).
Just some examples:
The following flights into MEL cancelled: 882,886,888,894,898 from SYD, 1337 from HBA, 242 from ADL and 346 from BNE .
The following flights landed into SYD after curfew: 992 from BNE (2313), 546 from OOL (2316), 885 from MEL (2318) and 891 from MEL (2327). All landed on 34L.
The following departed from SYD after curfew: 989 to BNE (2307) and 878 to MEL (2328) both from 16R.
Delayed evening departurers from MEL in excess of 2 hrs: 291 PER (5 hrs), 251 to BNE and 885 to SYD (3hrs), 243 to ADL and 891 to SYD (2 1/2 hrs), 353 to BNE, 761 to OOL, 1380 to LST and 697 to PER (2 hrs)
QF and JQ seem to have op normally, so I am discounting weather. I have not taken time to have a look at ops re ADL, PER, BNE etc. Any one have any ideas as to why the problems this evening?
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

TN486

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Just checked VA website. Computer hassles (check in) - again!!
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

eaglefarm4

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Hawaiian have stated in the press they plan to look into the BNE schedules in the future to offer better connections with the mainland of the USA .I believe being a new service and being quite full they were happy initially to let these times ride.

Can we clarify that VA fly 4 times a week to LAX not 3 a week as a few people have mentioned on this forum.The VA source can't even get that right.

Mon,Wed,Fri and Sundays.

I see QF 008 is not going via AKL in the immediate future.Flights are scheduled to continue via BNE till end of NW13 which is late March 2014 and at this stage there are no plans for this to change after then.I have read on numerous occasions by certain members a few months back that AKL was happening very soon. It is not .
tourismman

vhebb

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Quote:
Just checked VA website. Computer hassles (check in) - again!!

Looks like this will hand QF yet another win in the monthly OTP war....

SYDAIRPORTS

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:17 am

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 177):
Hawaiian have stated in the press they plan to look into the BNE schedules in the future to offer better connections with the mainland of the USA .I believe being a new service and being quite full they were happy initially to let these times ride.

they need to look at them now, not in the future. Only minor adjustments needed.

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 177):
Can we clarify that VA fly 4 times a week to LAX not 3 a week as a few people have mentioned on this forum.The VA source can't even get that right.

Mon,Wed,Fri and Sundays.

think this depends on time of year. Many airlines put on extra services in peak time, menaing they have no backup whatsoever.

This happened with QF's 1st BNE/LAX nonstop. From memory it was in early DEC & aircraft went U/S & no backup, so many passengers were delayed 48 hours. (before this time BNE/LAX/BNE went via AKL daily)

As you can imagine many complaints, but if aircraft not airworthy.

Some passengers switched to other services & other airlines, but as it was peak season, very few seats in any, on other flights.

SYDAIRPORTS

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:18 am

with Nauru fires overnight, presume there will be charter flights going in there very soon.

Isn't Our Airline already stretched ?

RyanairGuru

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:08 am

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 179):
they need to look at them now, not in the future

To be fair, if they are filling their aircraft to HNL then they don't need to look at it at all. The yield earned as the primary carrier BNE-HNL would be significantly higher than the junk fairs they would need to offer BNE-USA.

That said, HA might need to reconsider their schedules to maintain loads now that the AUD is down to 90c. Hawai'i tourism ex Australia has been artificially high for the last couple of years due to the high Australian Dollar. This made Hawai'i much more affordable for people who would otherwise have considered Fiji or Phuket, and also made it a very attractive shopping destination. The moneyed crowd would go for the weekend to shop in Neiman Marcus (at half the price of David Jones) and the savings would just about pay for the trip. Both of those sources of visitors will be impacted if the Australian Dollar continues to fall.

JQ will be affected more than HA as the latter can feed into the US mainland, but it is going to be interesting to see how sustainable the massive growth in Australia-Hawai'i traffic will prove to be.

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 179):
From memory it was in early DEC

When are you referring to exactly?

QF15/16 went daily in April 2008, it was supposed to be permanent but the GFC + VA/DL put an end to that.

The BNELAX flight had previously had a different flight number (something like QF156/157?) which was sometimes seasonally adjusted in the Southern Summer.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

eaglefarm4

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:17 am

VA have been operating BNE-LAX 4 times a week for past 2 years it has not been seasonal.

Yes Our Airline is quite busy with VH-INU operating 3 BNE-INU flights weekly up from 1 a week last year and VH-RON doing most of the refugee flights which i have noticed includes flights to SIN and Indonesia .VH-PNI their 3rd 733 is about to enter service very soon.

Cheers SYDNEYAIRPORTS.

QF 175/176 is the flight numbers RyanairGuru you were chasing.
tourismman

SYDAIRPORTS

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:52 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 181):
To be fair, if they are filling their aircraft to HNL

I don't think so, not even close.

SYDAIRPORTS

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:53 am

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 182):
Yes Our Airline is quite busy with VH-INU operating 3 BNE-INU flights weekly up from 1 a week last year and VH-RON doing most of the refugee flights which i have noticed includes flights to SIN and Indonesia .VH-PNI their 3rd 733 is about to enter service very soon.

isn't one of their aircraft due for a D check, but instead will be scrapped for parts, as cost of D check more than aircraft is worth.

aerohottie

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:34 am

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 183):
To be fair, if they are filling their aircraft to HNL

I don't think so, not even close.

HA aren't getting good loads on their BNE-HNL flights???
Do you have any evidence of this?

I was always of the understanding that they do very well on the BNE-HNL route
What?

koruman

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:15 am

Quoting aerohottie (Reply 185):
HA aren't getting good loads on their BNE-HNL flights???
Do you have any evidence of this?

I've just looked up ExpertFlyer for next week, which of course is outside the Australian school holidays.

Wednesday's BNE-HNL flight has 16/18 Business Class seats occupied and 190/235 Economy class.

Seven days later the figures are 10/18 Business occupied and 217/235 Economy class.

These aren't stellar loads, but they are certainly well within the realms of profitability.

qf002

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:41 am

but high season fares are almost identical BNE-SYD-MEL to LAX on QF.

They're not. I'm looking on their respective websites now, and QF is a good $500+ more on the vast majority of dates through December and January. I guarantee that a similar search in November will show that QF's last minute fares are significantly higher than VA's.

Quoting koruman (Reply 186):
190/235 Economy class

It's actually far less than this. The 7s that you are seeing on ExpertFlyer simply mean that there are at least 7 seats available in that fare class (for most airlines the maximum number will be a 9, but HA obviously manages their booking system differently).

The fact that the cheapest fare bracket is still showing availability suggests it'll be a very empty flight in Y. The J loads, however, look very good.

The figures for the 31st are confusing me. ExpertFlyer is showing at least 19 seats available in J (on a plane with only 18 seats) while Y is virtually booked out (3 seats left), which is at total odds to your figures (and it's strange to see such a spike unless there is something special going on that I'm missing?)

koruman

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:45 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 187):
It's actually far less than this. The 7s that you are seeing on ExpertFlyer simply mean that there are at least 7 seats available in that fare class (for most airlines the maximum number will be a 9, but HA obviously manages their booking system differently).

I know that, but that's not how I do it: I go by the seat map, as that tends to translate much more closely to sold seats.

eaglefarm4

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:51 am

The loads on Hawaiian were nearly full for first 4-5 months as extra flights were put on including daily for 1 week, however over the past few months loads were around 70-80% .In the SEP-OCT school hols it will be 5 a week for a month.
tourismman

rjm717

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:23 am

To be fair, if they are filling their aircraft to HNL then they don't need to look at it at all. The yield earned as the primary carrier BNE-HNL would be significantly higher than the junk fairs they would need to offer BNE-USA.

The BNE timings are targeted at Australian ports other than just BNE. A 4PM arrival allows connections to most of Qld, MEL, ADL etc that timings into SYD just cannot do, thanks to the curfew. That was a prime reason to operate earlier to the East Coast capital. Even a minor delay into SYD means an overnight stay.

SYD on the other hand is a big enough market to survive as a stand-alone port.

Northbound u can connect to all 10 US mainland ports, albeit with a longer ground time on the way, which is less desirable. Southbound from the mainland means an overnight in HNL regardless of your Australian destination - something I will never complain about unless I'm on a deadline, and then we have choices. Don't expect the BNE timings to change any time soon. Seasonal ad hoc flights may be the exception.

R

SYDAIRPORTS

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:57 am

They're not. I'm looking on their respective websites now, and QF is a good $500+ more on the vast majority of dates through December and January.

Huh ? $500 more than what ?

a quick look at Qantas website shows less than $20 difference between the 3 cities, which can be due to differnences in taxes between cities

to LAX eg. 1JAN back 22JAN
1) ex BNE (nonstops both directions) short term sale price of cheapest $3001 + cards fee (what a horrible price point- $2999 is SOOOO much cheaper)
or $3383 cheapest non sale

2) ex SYD nonstops from $2999 to $3099 on sale or $3382 cheapest non sale

3) ex MEL nonstops sale $2984 , cheapest non sale $3367

+ why are QF having a sale in peak season ?

2)

SYDAIRPORTS

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:58 am

They're not. I'm looking on their respective websites now, and QF is a good $500+ more on the vast majority of dates through December and January.

a quick look at Qantas website shows less than $20 difference between the 3 cities, which can be due to differnences in taxes between cities

to LAX eg. 1JAN back 22JAN
1) ex BNE (nonstops both directions) short term sale price of cheapest $3001 + cards fee (what a horrible price point- $2999 is SOOOO much cheaper)
or $3383 cheapest non sale

2) ex SYD nonstops from $2999 to $3099 on sale or $3382 cheapest non sale

3) ex MEL nonstops sale $2984 , cheapest non sale $3367

+ why are QF having a sale in peak season ?

qf002

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:43 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 188):
I know that, but that's not how I do it: I go by the seat map, as that tends to translate much more closely to sold seats.

It still seems horribly inaccurate to me, given that just a dozen blocked seats can change the result by 5-10%.

But what really matters is that the evidence suggests that the flights are performing reasonably well. Overall, they seem to be performing on par with QF/JQ's services, which suggests that they are profitable.

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 191):

Apologies, I read your original post as being a comparison between QF and VA, not QF and QF since thats what the quote you posted was all about.

I'm not really sure why a comparison of QF's fares is relevant. All it does is show that QF's performance out of BNE roughly matches their performance out of SYD/MEL, despite their lack of daily frequencies. That's hardly an argument for reducing service in favour of JQ.

zkokq

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:47 am

Antonov Design Bureau AN124F - UR-82029 visited BNE today, here is my photo!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7375/9333028338_b8b7e88059_b.jpg
Antonov Design Bureau AN124F - UR-82029 by Lance Broad Aviation Images, on Flickr

bwwt

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:06 am

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 192):

Doesn't this just prove that Brisbane's LAX flights are doing just as good, if not better (It's a shorter distance) than the SYD and MEL flights in economy?

RyanairGuru

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Quoting bwwt (Reply 195):
Doesn't this just prove that Brisbane's LAX flights are doing just as good, if not better (It's a shorter distance) than the SYD and MEL flights in economy?

My thinking as well. If Y yields were higher ex-BNE, I wouldn't fall over with shock. I guess what could tip it in Sydney's favor is the actual number of tickets purchased in each inventory. Due to having more corporate traffic, SYD (and MEL) could well sell more B or Y tickets than BNE.

J is where things could get interesting...
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SYDAIRPORTS

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 193):
Apologies, I read your original post as being a comparison between QF and VA, not QF and QF since thats what the quote you posted was all about.

I'm not really sure why a comparison of QF's fares is relevant. All it does is show that QF's performance out of BNE roughly matches their performance out of SYD/MEL, despite their lack of daily frequencies. That's hardly an argument for reducing service in favour of JQ.

it means QF's not yield managing peak seaosn flights very well.

QF often suddenly cancels flights & nothing worse that being on a BNE/LAX nonstop only to be told 2 days out, that now going via SYD which adds 6 hours to trip.

Suspect that many QF peak season flights in DEC-JAN will be canned, not just out fo BNE & pax rerouted via another city.

Think QF should take some 787's ASAP & do routes like BNE/LAX some days or let JQ do it some days.

Having 2 nonstops SYD/LAX most days makes it easy to cancel 1 of these.

Quoting bwwt (Reply 195):

no it seems QF are trying to hold the high ground & demand higher fares, which they don't seem to be getting, so something has to give.

QF's problem is costs are much higher than VA's (& NZ & FJ etc)

NOTE: just been told that VA are dumping seats to LAX on certain dates in peak DEC-JAN period for just over $2k inc taxes, so you must travel on those certain dates in both directions, but is hell of a lot cheaper that $3k+ on QF, especially when it's families who are travleling at that time of the year.

qf002

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:42 am

Quoting SYDAIRPORTS (Reply 197):
QF often suddenly cancels flights

Evidence? Examples? This isn't something that I have ever associated with QF International. I've known them to cancel domestic flights, but only on high frequency routes where they can offer multiple alternatives.

Suspect that many QF peak season flights in DEC-JAN will be canned, not just out fo BNE & pax rerouted via another city.

Your suspicions are totally unfounded. This hasn't happened for the past two years (I don't have access to records going further back than that) and you haven't shown any reason why it would start suddenly happening now.

You can check this for yourself using the flight tracker provided by theqantassource.com (which is extremely reliable).

They don't randomly cancel flights! There is planned maintenance which generally effects services in February-March, but the schedules reflect flight cancelations 6+ months in advance.

no it seems QF are trying to hold the high ground & demand higher fares, which they don't seem to be getting, so something has to give.

Factually untrue. The overall load factor for the BNE-LAX route was in excess of 90% through December 2012 and January 2013 (this data is easily accessed via the BITRE website).

SYDAIRPORTS

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:59 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 198):

They don't randomly cancel flights! There is planned maintenance which generally effects services in February-March, but the schedules reflect flight cancelations 6+ months in advance.

Have seen many examples of pax being rerouted via SYD when BNE/LAX nonstop gets canned.

As usually done 2 days in advance, it would suggest load/yields were awful not that aircraft went U/S, so combining with one of SYD flights for purely financial reasons.

Pax are offered nonstop BNE/LAX day before (as long as Tue flight not canc as no Mon flight) or day after, as long as not Sun flight), but airline doesn't compensate for extra nights accom that needs to be paid for in USA if go day before, or 1 nights prepaid accom that non-refundable that can't be used if go a day later.

You must remember that QF Int is losing something like AUD$0.5 million every singel day & that can't go on forever.

[Edited 2013-07-21 22:03:39]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos