dforce1
Topic Author

Who Is The Leading Asian Budget Carrier Group?

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:27 am

As part of its rebranding, Tiger Air Group carriers in Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines and Australia will be synergized to enable passengers to book connecting flights through Singapore.

They claim to be the leading group of budget carriers in Asia. In the Philippine market, Air Asia ahead of TigerAir thanks to its marriage to Zest which now gives it a fleet double the size.

Tiger Air is in Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, and Philippines
Air Asia is in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, India, Japan (soon to close)

But with the pending collapse of Air Asia Japan, is there a chance that Tiger Air will indeed become the leading budget carrier group in Southeast Asia? Who would you say is in the lead?

Read More Here: http://www.philippineflightnetwork.c...ger-airways-becomes-tiger-air.html

[Edited 2013-07-04 02:33:32]

PHX787

RE: Who Is The Leading Asian Budget Carrier Group?

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:47 am

Quoting dforce1 (Thread starter):
But with the pending collapse of Air Asia Japan, is there a chance that Tiger Air will indeed become the leading budget carrier group in Southeast Asia? Who would you say is in the lead?

I'd say that's quite feasible, in fact, I actually heard a rumor that they're talking to JL and NH to form a JV to create another airline here....    It's a bad idea but you know, I can never predict these things.

Tiger Air must have some sort of recognizable marketing or management strategy which allows them to do all of this.

One could argue Jetstar has a good LCC base, Jetstar Japan being a pretty strong airline recently.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Polot

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Tigerair group - ~45 planes total.

Air Asia group - ~120 planes total (with over 300 more on order).

I think it is pretty clear who is currently the leasing Asia budget carrier.

AirAsia Japan is a whopping 4 planes. It will take more than its collapse for Tigerair to become the leading budget carrier in the region.

davidho1985

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Amoung 3 major LCC in Asia (i.e. AirAsia; Jetstar & Jetstar),
Tiger is the weakest one.

KFlyer

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Tiger simply does not have a strong foundation like AirAsia to overtake the latter. While the Tigerair rebranding sounds promising and they keep launching more JVs, their country unit performance is still not as robust as AirAsia's.
It still has a long way to go to overtake AirAsia and jetStar is in a better position.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

zeke

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I thought tiger in Australia was sold and rebranded as TigeraAir Australia ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos